• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurfx

get some go again
No one favorite candidate will join!

2885418-3628724535-Zha72.gif
bonney will join and you will like it! anybody think that capone might get rid of chiffone if he manages to kill big mom? he might keep his kid but she does not really serve a purpose if he only married her to get big mom's protection. plus it would be an easy way to make luffy his enemy again.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Does she need a specific role though? Neither jinbei nor zoro have one and that's not a problem. Everyone saying she doesn't fit in is just personally against it. That argument doesn't work.

Not saying she will join, just saying that the "what role will she fit" discussion is pointless with jinbei and zoro onboard.

Also, saying she overlaps with luffy and chopper is pointless too since chopper and luffy already overlap then, so that means overlapping personalities are nothing against becoming a member 😋
Jinbei and zoro serve as the stand in leaders whenever luffy is absent. They also serve as advisors and keep the crew focussed and disciplined.

Zoro is the vice captain.

Jinbei's going to be the diplomat.

Most of the 1st mate duties actually get divided up between usopp, sanji, and zoro. The strawhats don't have a traditional first mate.

Ogodei

Sure, probably don't need to make sure Roger had a musician to match, but I suspect Luffy ends up with a young crew member who becomes the Next Generation decades after Luffy.

I don't think Carrot's that young? Recall that Luffy's only 19. Carrot can't be more than 3 years younger by the look of her (assuming Minks run the same as humans, which is a safe bet since Chopper also seems to).

Red Fire

Jinbei and zoro serve as the stand in leaders whenever luffy is absent. They also serve as advisors and keep the crew focussed and disciplined.

Zoro is the vice captain.

Jinbei's going to be the diplomat.

Most of the 1st mate duties actually get divided up between usopp, sanji, and zoro. The strawhats don't have a traditional first mate.

Zoro is not the vice captain. Most people may see him that way but the strawhats don't have a vice captain. After luffy everyone is equal.

Also saying jinbei is going to be the diplomat is just baseless assumption. We could also just assume something for carrot like spy or whatever people have mentioned but that's not how it works

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Zoro is not the vice captain. Most people may see him that way but the strawhats don't have a vice captain. After luffy everyone is equal.

Also saying jinbei is going to be the diplomat is just baseless assumption. We could also just assume something for carrot like spy or whatever people have mentioned but that's not how it works
Zoro is Luffy's first mate. He's the Rayleigh to Luffy's Roger. Both litterally and the fact he's the second strongest member of the crew which is usually how it goes down.

He also has a certain amount of sway over Luffy as Luffy rarely tends to outright over rule him case and point his threat to leave the crew if they forgave Ussop and he fought Luffy.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Nami is more of a fist mate than Zoro imo. Zoro only sleeps and trains.
First mate is the most senior member of the crew. That's Zoro he joined first. Just like Rayleigh with Roger and Ben Beckman with Shanks.

He's also a supernova in his own right.

NSESN

First mate is the most senior member of the crew. That's Zoro he joined first. Just like Rayleigh with Roger and Ben Beckman with Shanks.

He's also a supernova in his own right.

Time and strenght has nothing to do with being first mate, it has to with who has more power of decision making after the captain. Nami has huge influence inside the ship, people forget this because most of the time the story is outside the ship where she has less influence and Zoro, who is only a fighter has more.

Zoro is the first mate. First to join, second strongest, leads the crew when Luffy isn't around, has moments when he gets stuff straightened out (put his foot down when Ussop was leaving crew, etc...) and he has a parallel to Rayleigh.

Obviously, it isn't official because Luffy doesn't roll like that but it is rather clear Zoro is unofficially the first mate.

Nami has huge influence inside the ship, people forget this because most of the time the story is outside the ship where she has less influence.
That isn't making a strong case for her.

LotusHD

Banned
Nami is not the first mate, but yes, she does hold more influence than Zoro generally speaking, especially since Zoro only interjects in serious moments.

dabig2

The thing I loved about Zoro being first mate is that for the entirety of the first half of this manga, everyone was astonished that Zoro was "merely" a subordinate. Having a superpowerful 1st mate in the One Piece universe lends more credit to the captain. Hence why Gol(d) and Silvers were probably such a great tag team.

Hell, Rogers and Rayleigh's first meeting kinda parallels Luffy and Zoro's in that it was simply 2 bros recognizing each other's strength:

"Hey bro, you seem like a cool strong guy. Wanna go fuck the world up?"
"Sounds great, fam"
"Cool"

caliph95

The thing I loved about Zoro being first mate is that for the entirety of the first half of this manga, everyone was astonished that Zoro was "merely" a subordinate. Having a superpowerful 1st mate in the One Piece universe lends more credit to the captain. Hence why Gol(d) and Silvers were probably such a great tag team.

Hell, Rogers and Rayleigh's first meeting kinda parallels Luffy and Zoro's in that it was simply 2 bros recognizing each other's strength:

"No, who the hell are you?"
"Please"

"Sounds great, fam"
"Cool"

NSESN

Nami is not the first mate, but yes, she does hold more influence than Zoro generally speaking, especially since Zoro only interjects in serious moments.

I am on the team that the crew doesn't have one, I just saying that Nami has a stronger claim than Zoro.

Another thing is Luffy expect Zoro to take care of things when he is not there.
Like in Skypiea where he found robin knock out and said how this could happen when Zoro was there.
Still Luffy does not have the usual first mate as we know it.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

"Sounds great, fam"
"Cool"
....I just now made the connection between Gold Roger and Silvers Rayleigh's naming conventions.

Gold and Silver.

I feel really dumb.

smurfx

get some go again
is it possible for jimbei to become 1st mate even though he joined so late in the game? before jimbei i think luffy would trust zoro before anybody else to lead the crew in a pinch . jimbei is much better suited for that role since he was a ton of years leading a powerful crew of his own and the experience that came with it. i think either zoro or jimbei is going to lead the alliance while luffy and either zoro or jimbei becomes the power combo that leads the strawhats in battle. i think jimbei would be better to lead the alliance in battle since he has a ton of experience and is a good diplomat that many would feel comfortable following. i rather most of the strawhat crew go into battle together from now on and especially when they take on kaido.

I mean, Zoro literally shouldered his captain's pain and didn't say a word about it. Symbolically, no one comes close to that portrayal.

When has this ever happened?
Several times.

Lol @ people trying to fit a rigid pirate hierarchy onto Luffys loose ass crew.
Roger didn't seem like that type either but Rayleigh was considered first mate either way.

No one is saying Luffy has that type of structure. Obviously, he doesn't. That doesn't mean that no one has a role in his crew. If they had to be laid out, Zoro's would be first mate.

Red Fire

I mean, Zoro literally shouldered his captain's pain and didn't say a word about it. Symbolically, no one comes close to that portrayal.

Did we watch the same scene? Because sanji was ready to do exactly the same thing if zoro hadn't knocked him out.

Several times.
Ok.. nice example

Roger didn't seem like that type either but Rayleigh was considered first mate either way.

No one is saying Luffy has that type of structure. Obviously, he doesn't. That doesn't mean that no one has a role in his crew. If they had to be laid out, Zoro's would be first mate.

Yeah there's the problem, IF. We are talking about the real deal though, not what ifs.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I didn't know who Scopper Gaban even was.

Roger Pirates' names are my personal Rubik's cube I guess.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Nami is more of a fist mate than Zoro imo. Zoro only sleeps and trains.

Nami's the quartermaster:

Quartermaster was a term used to describe the navigator of a naval vessel. The title was derived from the phrase "master of the quarterdeck", as the helm was located here. Pirate quartermasters were commonly elected by the crew, and ranked higher than any officer aboard the ship, except the captain.

Zoro's effectively the First Mate though the series goes out of it's way to avoid referring to him as such.

NSESN

Nami's the quartermaster:

Zoro's effectively the First Mate though the series goes out of it's way to avoid referring to him as such.

It fits Nami's position very nicely. About Zoro, I won't deny that he acts like first mate outside of the ship, but I feel he needs to act like this inside the ship to be called one.

Ray Down

Banned
I could see an epilogue where they show an old Zoro traveling around with Tashigi, paralleling Rayleigh and Shakky

I doubt Zoro would get married though, he comes across as a Vegeta of not wanting none of dat.

Unless they married off-screen to my knowledge.

Anteater

I doubt Zoro would get married though, he comes across as a Vegeta of not wanting none of dat.

Unless they married off-screen to my knowledge.

probably won't see them actually getting married, I was thinking that there'll be some sort of time skip after the ending and we'll see Zoro around alive with Tashigi hanging out with him (and Luffy will be dead :p)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom