• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_onrtp1UH0f1tandono2_540.gif

Ray Down, you okay?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Worst character, now in color

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Whoa, Carrot is whatever, but you start hating on Kanjuro and I'll say you've crossed the line.

*Draws a line that comes to life and walls decent human beings off from people with bad opinions*

SolVanderlyn

The whole point of the samurai is that they look goofy and have goofy powers but are actually quite reliable. You're supposed to think they look dumb at first. I think they're executed really well. I mean, when you meet Kanjuro he's a bunch of legs stuck to a dragon. They are One Piece personified.

Even Kanjuro's (amazing) drawings seem inept at first, but later prove to be useful (and hilarious).

I feel like the Samurai are drawn like old Japanese paintings and kabuki depictions to distinguish them so it isn't just a nation of Zoros.

And Oda is probably really into the aesthetic (see: Gear 4).

LotusHD

Banned
It's like you've guys have never seen a Kabuki actor before.

I have, doesn't mean I have to like his design lol

Not that I like actively hate it or anything, but meh

The whole point of the samurai is that they look goofy and have goofy powers but are actually quite reliable. You're supposed to think they look dumb at first. I think they're executed really well. I mean, when you meet Kanjuro he's a bunch of legs stuck to a dragon. They are One Piece personified.

Even Kanjuro's (amazing) drawings seem inept at first, but later prove to be useful (and hilarious).

I'm aware of the point of their designs lol

Acosta

I thought all Sanji brothers were blonde... They look ludicrous in that key art, especially Reiju :( It sucks when you prefer your take imagining something over the real thing.

BTW I'm going to be quite disappointed if Ichiji and Niji are not serious badasses. I was quite hyped about Germa at the beginning when they started to introduce them in the arc but they look tools so far.

SolVanderlyn

I thought all Sanji brothers were blonde... They look ludicrous in that key art, especially Reiju :( It sucks when you prefer your take imagining something over the real thing.

BTW I'm going to be quite disappointed if Ichiji and Niji are not serious badasses. I was quite hyped about Germa at the beginning when they started to introduce them in the arc but they look tools so far.
I would have preferred them blonde, but like this too.

If Ichiji at the least isn't a serious powerhouse, I'll be bummed.

Cwarrior

The cracker vs luffy Nami fight was a huge let down, hopefully toei can salvage the fight by injecting some actual fighting instead oda off panel disappointment.

The cracker vs luffy Nami fight was a huge let down, hopefully toei can salvage the fight by injecting some actual fighting instead oda off panel disappointment.

You'll get a scene where Nami figures out to use rain, and several gratuitous shots of her soaking wet and that's it.

Metal B

Seriously, who likes these assholes? They're just so......so one dimensional.
That's the point of them. They are literally designed to be super soldiers through genetic manipulation. Sanji is a failure, since he has emotions, dreams and other useless stuff, and Raiju could also create some deeper personality, which she hid to be not the next victim of abuse.

Ray Down

Banned
That's the point of them. They are literally designed to be super soldiers through genetic manipulation. Sanji is a failure, since he has emotions, dreams and other useless stuff, and Raiju could also create some deeper personality, which she hid to be not the next victim of abuse.

That doesn't excuse them from being so boring.

SolVanderlyn

That doesn't excuse them from being so boring.
That's the whole point, we want to see that potential realized. They have no excuse to be boring with the setup that they have.

To be fair Ichiji and Niji haven't had the chance to do anything yet, and Reiju has proven to be a great character. Only Yonji seems to be a punk loser so far.

SolVanderlyn

A good villain can be amazing. See: Crocodile. I want Ichiji and Niji to be awesome jerks.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
You can be a fun cool villain and still be one-dimensional. I mean I sure ain't arguing AGAINST better characterization, but the Vinsmokes are basically Power Rangers villains. After ten thousand years they're free, and it's time to conquer earth. They're comically one-note and evil, it'll be fun to hit them with big plastic swords and watch sparks fly.

The villains with actual nuance in this arc (or at least One Piece levels of nuance) are the Big Mom crew. We can have both.

Red Fire

1. You guys making fun of Kanjuro's design while Raizo exists?? That ugly ass freak with his big ass head??

2. Stop hating on the rabbit princess you fools

3. Vinsmoke brothers and their father suuuuccckkkkkk, i hope they get eaten by big mom or something

Veelk

Banned
The villains with actual nuance in this arc (or at least One Piece levels of nuance) are the Big Mom crew. We can have both.

Maybe one dimensional isn't the right word exactly. Moral nuance isn't exactly what I meant.

To point out one small comparison, lets look Bege. I don't think anyone would say that he's morally nuanced. He's a psycho on par with any in OP, his backstory has him creating pain and misery for seemingly no reason at all and his betrayal of Big Mom is motivated primarily by lulz. But when Bege notices that he talked about his plan with an animated door in the room, he killed the door. When the Vinsmokes talk about their plan to backstab Big Mom in a room full of her animated objects that all work for her, they don't even notice. They're too busy laughing over how they're assholes. That's the difference for me, they're not just evil, they're evilly stupid.

Alternatively, since the Big Mom crew is just better, maybe they're just making the Vinsmokes look that much worse by comparison. Then again, it's also probably just the Sanji relation that's screwing them over. Either way, I just don't see why they'd be anyone's favorites with everything else going on this arc. We have (sorta) intelligent antagonists for once who are Yonko no less that also offer personal stakes in the conflict by placing Sanji's conflicting feeling's as a key component of the conflict (as the strawhats being an external element to someone elses conflict) with some of the best designs the series has to offer....meanwhile these chuckleheads are being played so badly they don't even know how behind they are.

Edit: I think the power rangers comparison is right on the head, because Power Rangers weren't known for their political plotting. Once the fighting starts, maybe then that'll play to their strengths more.

Ray Down

Banned
1. You guys making fun of Kanjuro's design while Raizo exists?? That ugly ass freak with his big ass head??

2. Stop hating on the rabbit princess you fools

3. Vinsmoke brothers and their father suuuuccckkkkkk, i hope they get eaten by big mom or something

1. Raizo is awesome, way more cool then Kanjuro who probably draws his own clothes.

david-tennant-shoes.gif

3. Nah, soul fucked would work better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom