• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Down

Banned
I had no idea it was supposed to be a secret. My bad.

Going back over the stuff I made, I still am fond of this one.

Al3NmyK.png

It's fine, i just assumed you message me back in the PM's.

Veelk

Banned
Haha, yes this is basically what I've been looking for. Thanks

Going back to this, I actually disagree that that applies for One Piece, because it's not like things have the full effect that a particular ability would induce anyway.

Like, Aokiji froze Doflamingo. Aokiji's freezing powers SHOULD be instantly lethal. But Doflamingo just broke out of that because "It didn't reach his heart". That's...not how ice works. And that's hardly an isolated incident. If a person used the power correctly to the fullest of their ability, a great deal of abilities would basically be instant death.

Pudding most likely won't be a combative fighter not because of her powers but because of that thing no one wnats to talk about.

LotusHD

Banned
Going back to this, I actually disagree that that applies for One Piece, because it's not like things have the full effect that a particular ability would induce anyway.

Like, Aokiji froze Doflamingo. Aokiji's freezing powers SHOULD be instantly lethal. But Doflamingo just broke out of that because "It didn't reach his heart". That's...not how ice works. And that's hardly an isolated incident. If a person used the power correctly to the fullest of their ability, a great deal of abilities would basically be instant death.

Pudding most likely won't be a combative fighter not because of her powers but because of that thing no one wnats to talk about.

True, One Piece is kinda inconsistent there. It's just that I see stuff like the poison DF, Caesar being able to suffocate people, Sugar's DF (You know from the jump that she ain't ever touching a Straw Hat lol), Law's DF, Bonney's DF, etc., and it's like, you just know that there won't be any permanent damage being done to the prominent characters, despite how obviously broken or dangerous some of those powers are.

But then you get stuff like Akainu punching a hole through Luffy's chest, and things get complicated lmao

Veelk

Banned
True, One Piece is kinda inconsistent there. It's just that I see stuff like the poison DF, Caesar being able to suffocate people, Sugar's DF (You know from the jump that she ain't ever touching a Straw Hat lol), Law's DF, Bonney's DF, etc., and it's like, you just know that there won't be any permanent damage being done to the prominent characters, despite how obviously broken or dangerous some of those powers are.

But then you get stuff like Akainu punching a hole through Luffy's chest, and things get complicated lmao

Sugar was a child. So it was funny to me how the group was composed of all fighters, but they all had this convoluted plan to make her drink some hot sauce to knock her out when the obvious solution was...you know, to hit her.

But then One Piece would have to deal with the fact that it's heroes were going to hit a child hard enough to knock her out and the Shonen editorial staff (and possibly Oda himself) was like NOPE, so....

Bonney is kind of an embarassment, really.

Each Supernova has accomplished something significant or atleast intriguing. Luffy, Zoro, and Law brought down Doflamingo and his underworld operations, Bege and X Drake have advanced themselves by allying with Yonko crews, and even though it hasn't led to anything, atleast Kid, Hawkins, and Apoo allying together was a big thing when it happened and would have probably had huge impacts if Oda didn't decide to job them. And virtually every one of them has had some kind of signifier that "he did something interesting in the background", like Urogue somehow chilling with Kaido.

It's been nearly 400 chapters since her introduction, and Jewelry Bonnie's sole claim to accomplishment is stopping Zoro from aggrevating the celestial dragons with moe powers, which Luffy did anyway an hour later. Since then, all she's done is run away, then get captured, propositioned, and get handed off the marine's. She is super lame.

Didn't Akainu say he was panicking when she went missing and that she would never forgive the government people? Sounds like the World Government need her or her power for something. She's either another relative of a noble or, my guess, want her aging powers to provide faux-immortality.

But that connection is all she has beyond being yet another hourglass outline; a MacGuffin to use later and a character second.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Breh how does It work? If your talking about flash freezing that's exactly you how it works as the water produced is frozen around the body. If this was a heat heat transfer directly from the body you wouldn't see a large block of ice and it wouldn't be quick.

Strangest thing is how many people don't know how freezing actually works. It's simply a transfer of energy that's all it is and the entropy of the universe is always increasing it's not "free" or efficient your using large amounts of energy to transfer said energy. It's also not fast.

You can't complain about the science of a universe then apply equally half assed scientific explanation. Your not going to flash freeze some to the bone as quickly as your implying and strictly speaking all that heat would have to go somewhere.

Meh supernovas weren't shit for awhile all of them. I'm sure she'll have an arc like everyone else

Oda cranked them out in like 3 hours to beef up the Sabaody arc. No wonder they all felt pretty undercooked and only a few (ok really only Law and Kidd) survived by the strengths of their designs, powers, and a dash of charisma.

They've been better integrated into the world since the timeskip and have become better characters as a result.

Oda cranked them out in like 3 hours to beef up the Sabaody arc. No wonder they all felt pretty undercooked and only a few (ok really only Law and Kidd) survived by the strengths of their designs, powers, and a dash of charisma.

They've been better integrated into the world since the timeskip and have become better characters as a result.
Yup which is why I say Bonney will get hers

Veelk

Banned
Breh how does It work? If your talking about flash freezing that's exactly you how it works as the water produced is frozen around the body. If this was a heat heat transfer directly from the body you wouldn't see a large block of ice and it wouldn't be quick.

Strangest thing is how many people don't know how freezing actually works. It's simply a transfer of energy that's all it is and the entropy of the universe is always increasing it's not "free" or efficient your using large amounts of energy to transfer said energy. It's also not fast.

You can't complain about the science of a universe then apply equally half assed scientific explanation. Your not going to flash freeze some to the bone as quickly as your implying and strictly speaking all that heat would have to go somewhere.
What in all the fucks in the world are you talking about?

I didn't apply any explanation, halfassed or otherwise, of my own.

I just recounted how Doflamingo's freezing and reversion from freezing did happen and I said that's not how it truly works. Because it isn't. You can't just laugh off hypothermia because the flash freezing doesn't reach your heart, which was the only justification given for him surviving that, implying that the freeze had gone pretty deep into his body otherwise.

Which, btw, isn't even actually a criticism of One Piece in that post. The argument there wasn't "OP isn't realistic and it should be". What I was doing was pointing out that saying a power can't be used because it'd break the tension of the fights by being "too OP" or "instakill" isn't convincing when there are plenty of powers that ignore conventional physics to maintain an even battleground. Which is why Aokiji's attack on Doflamingo works as an example. Yeah, his flashfreezing should have effectively killed him, but that would have been anticlimactic, so Doflamingo weasels out because the flashfreezing "it didn't reach his heart". This wasn't me railing against OP again, it's just a basic observation of how OP's story works.

Context!

Interestingly, the crunchyroll subs for that moment say "it didn't freeze him down to his bones", which I feel is less awkward wording then specifying "his heart".

Veelk

Banned
Interestingly, the crunchyroll subs for that moment say "it didn't freeze him down to his bones", which I feel is less awkward wording then specifying "his heart".

Viz has him saying "Frozen to the core". I can concede it's debatable how much of Doflamingo was frozen, but however much it was, it was enough to atleast stop his momentum from attacking Smoker, to the point where even Doflamingo's goons thought he was dead until he broke out, while we have proof that Aokiji can freeze saltwater into entire landmass proportions, so I think the implication was that Aokiji had flashfrozen MOST of him. Which, without being any kind of medical expert, seems to me like it should still be life threatening.

Still, lets not lose the forest for the trees.

The point here is: One Piece bends the laws of physics to work in such a way that they do not result in instant death using elements that would result in instant death in real life situations.

Can that be agreed upon?

Viz has him saying "Frozen to the core". I can concede it's debatable how much of Doflamingo was frozen, but however much it was, it was enough to atleast stop his momentum from attacking Smoker, to the point where even Doflamingo's goons thought he was dead until he broke out, while we have proof that Aokiji can freeze saltwater into entire landmass proportions, so I think the implication was that Aokiji had flashfrozen MOST of him. Which, without being any kind of medical expert, seems to me like it should still be life threatening.

Still, lets not lose the forest for the trees.

The point here is: One Piece bends the laws of physics to work in such a way that they do not result in instant death using elements that would result in instant death in real life situations.

Can that be agreed upon?

Pretty much.

Never forget the marine fodder getting trapped in the petrifying mist from Caesar Clown's lab. Surprise! 0 deaths.

Red Fire

Sugar was a child. So it was funny to me how the group was composed of all fighters, but they all had this convoluted plan to make her drink some hot sauce to knock her out when the obvious solution was...you know, to hit her.

Sugar wasn't a child though. She is actually 22 years or something like that but her fruit makes her look like a 10 year old

That's a random ass fruit. Turns people to toys, makes everyone forget about that person and makes sugar herself appear like a child. Like, whaaatt??

Squishy3

Sugar wasn't a child though. She is actually 22 years or something like that but her fruit makes her look like a 10 year old

That's a random ass fruit. Turns people to toys, makes everyone forget about that person and makes sugar herself appear like a child. Like, whaaatt??
I think when she ate it it froze her aging process, iirc?

Veelk

Banned

Yeah, and that girl from that fire emblem game is actually a thousand year old dragon, it doesn't reduce the creep factor when she's depicted as a prepubescent child wearing a skimpy bikini who the player is encouraged to marry so she can make babies. For practical purposes, she's a child.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Sugar's fruit was weird.

She was also Monet's sister, a fact they barely mention.

Initially, it seems weird, but when you realize that the entire theme of the Hobby Hobby fruit is based on the Peter Pan/Neverland mythos then you see what Oda was going for.

He's managed to integrate them really well in the world post-timeskip. I honestly thought he was just going to have them all job at some point or another but nope they've become legitimate heavyweights in the New World.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
NORO NORO BEAM!

I loved Foxy and his arc, shame the anime filler'd it

Ray Down

Banned
Oda is gonna be responsible for a judge for new manga award (1st round).

He made a comment for those who wanna become a mangaka;

"I still remember that Yoshihiro Togashi-sensei gave me a monthly manga award 24 years ago. And Toagshi-sensei kindly remembers it as well.

I mean, let's build a similar relationship with me! Let me be proud of you, like "I gave an award to this mangaka!" when you become a mangaka in the future.

I'll see through your manga talent. Feel free to send me your manga!"

https://orojackson.com/threads/eiichiro-oda-to-judge-new-manga-award.37938/#post-2275771

Ogodei

Initially, it seems weird, but when you realize that the entire theme of the Hobby Hobby fruit is based on the Peter Pan/Neverland mythos then you see what Oda was going for.

Basically a fruit that contains the essence of childhood and enacts it upon the world? That you become a child forever, and have the power to make anything you want into your toys?

There was probably a better way for him to explain it, although i understand it thematically.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Eventually, we'll get to see the Straw Hats in a Davy Back Fight with the Red Haired Pirates.

Eventually.

Red Fire

Basically a fruit that contains the essence of childhood and enacts it upon the world? That you become a child forever, and have the power to make anything you want into your toys?

There was probably a better way for him to explain it, although i understand it thematically.

Wow never thought about it that way :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom