• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is the manga thread, but I just watched the newer episode where they meet pudding and you see the intro to Big Mom. Holy shit that was awesome. Made me appreciate her character more. It's so awesome.
Pfft only anime discussion you really gonna get we're open to it

tumblr_oovq1qHktB1t45pbyo1_500.gif

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'm hoping they get Tomokazu Sugita to play Katakuri. Probably won't see him for a good year or so

Meh I'm glad he didn't get changed in that sense. That would be cliche. He stuck to essentially the only thing he believed in good or not.

Something being a cliche isn't good or bad. It's why I hate how popular TV Tropes got because everyone just throws out links to it without real critique (not you specifically).

Something being a cliche isn't good or bad. It's why I hate how popular TV Tropes got because everyone just throws out links to it without real critique (not you specifically).
We've had many characters have a change of heart because of luffy I'm glad Bellamy stuck to his belief while at the same time still became an ally

Ray Down

Banned
I'm going to take someone else words on why Bellamy sucks that arc especially:

Loathe: If Mr 2 and Mr 3 are examples of re-introducing a character with success, Bellamy is the exact opposite. To put it bluntly, Bellamy in Dressrosa plain doesn't work, and it feels like he was reeled in simply because he had a connection with Doflamingo in a previous arc. His role could've worked if about 5 of the other Dressrosa plotlines had been axed, but as is, Bellamys subplot is possibly the most clear example of the arcs haphazard nature, like with the ”kill Luffy!" plotpoint that goes nowhere, because Dellinger stops Bellamy just before he's about to go kill Luffy. It reached a point where ”pulling a Bellamy" is now a thing people fear- that is, a character vanishing for a huge chunk of the story, yet us being expected to care when they reappear at the last minute. For instance, the current arc has mostly dodged this by keeping the spotlight on Capone/Caesar/Jinbe once they popped back up, but I'd say Pound is currently pulling a Bellamy.
Anyway, Bellamys role in Dressrosa is built on his relationship with two people, Luffy and Doflamingo, and neither fully works.

With Luffy, even though its been two years (and even longer IRL), his instant-friendship with Bellamy feels jarring. With Mr 3 we got to see his character growth firsthand, but with Bellamy we're just to accept that he's now a better man, and now Luffys friend (despite the bizarre comment about Skypeans when they first met). Luffy may be the type to forgive and make friends easily, but, like with Fukaboshi, just saying that the characters are friends doesn't mean the readers are invested. If Luffy and Bellamy had gradually come around to respecting each other instead of instantly, it'd have been more compelling.

Then, Doflamingo. Now theres no problem with depicting abusive relationships in fiction, and that's absolutely what this is. But when every single interaction between Doffy and Bellamy involves the latter getting fucked over and left for dead, you need a good reason for Bellamys continued admiration. And the micro-flashback of ”Wowie its Doflamingo! I'm a big fan, can I join you?" ”Whatever" is not enough. In the context of Jaya you don't need anything except ”Bellamy is a Doffy fan, Doffy doesn't give a shit oh snap", but when you make it an emotional centerpiece of an arc, you need more. Why does Bellamy think Doffy in particular is so great? We don't know. Again, something good could've come of this by contrasting him to Bartolomeo or Law, or playing up that he doesn't understand Doffys true World Destroying desires, but this never happens.

So in the end, when Luffy fights Bellamy, we don't really buy the supposed friendship, and we don't buy Bellamys unquestioning devotion, and Bellamy comes across as the worlds biggest, dumbest cockhead. At this point he knows Doflamingo is terrible and does not, and will not, ever care about Bellamy – and yet he still obstructs the efforts to stop the genocidal maniac! Because ”"pride"". That's not a fucking valid reason! Theres nothing admirable about Pride in and of itself! Its having Pride in your Pride! Like, If you found out the leaders you admired were literal sadistic Nazis, and you kept fighting for them anyway for no other reason than ”it would not be honorable to leave just because they turned out to be monsters", then guess what, you're a complete moron. I guess you can make the case that Bellamy is supposed to come across as pathetic, but then you also have that line from Luffy about "being a man", so ehh.

The message Bellamy conveyed in Jaya was "chase your dreams, and those who doubt you aren't worth your time."
In Dressrosa, I guess we're supposed to find his "dream" of pig-headed loyalty to his abuser somehow admirable and/or sympathetic? Screw that.

Mostly because in the end, as was said, theres no closure for Bellamy. Then again, even Laws reaction to Doflamingos defeat was muted, but it still makes everything feel rather pointless.

Editor comment:
d7dkqvB.jpg

Editor Naito's comment about volume 85:

"This volume is full of amazing highlight scenes which I consider would go down in ONE PIECE history. Highly recommended for Sanji fans!! "

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I has question.

So I've been watching the Marineford Arc again (well, watching clips of it on youtube), and there's something puzzling that I somehow never noticed before.

So I thought all this time that attacks infused with Haki were supposed to nullify logia based devil fruits. But there were two instances that put that into question. The first was Marco and Vista attacking Akainu with haki infused attacks, which Akainu completely shrugged off. Whatever damage he had was superficial, and he fully healed instantly.

Now, one possibility that could explain this is that simply having haki isn't enough to harm a logia user. You need haki, but more importantly, you need an incredibly strong level of haki. This would explain why both Marco and Vista couldn't harm someone at Admiral level, but someone like White Beard could. The difference between White Beard and his subordinates (even including his first mate!) was just that huge.

But case number two seems to contradict that theory. When Whitebeard was fighting Aokiji, he stabbed him with his haki infused bisento, but Aokiji was totally fine, and continued his onslaught like as if he was fighting Luffy. This is even further weirder because someone like Jozu tackled Aokiji and actually was able to hurt him (even if it was minor).

What's up with that?

I has question.

So I've been watching the Marineford Arc again (well, watching clips of it on youtube), and there's something puzzling that I somehow never noticed before.

So I thought all this time that attacks infused with Haki were supposed to nullify logia based devil fruits. But there were two instances that put that into question. The first was Marco and Vista attacking Akainu with haki infused attacks, which Akainu completely shrugged off. Whatever damage he had was superficial, and he fully healed instantly.

Now, one possibility that could explain this is that simply having haki isn't enough to harm a logia user. You need haki, but more importantly, you need an incredibly strong level of haki. This would explain why both Marco and Vista couldn't harm someone at Admiral level, but someone like White Beard could. The difference between White Beard and his subordinates (even including his first mate!) was just that huge.

But case number two seems to contradict that theory. When Whitebeard was fighting Aokiji, he stabbed him with his haki infused bisento, but Aokiji was totally fine, and continued his onslaught like as if he was fighting Luffy. This is even further weirder because someone like Jozu tackled Aokiji and actually was able to hurt him (even if it was minor).

What's up with that?
I imagine tiers of strength play a big influence on that. And logias aren't constantly fluid, it requires reflexive action to change their body state. I imagine they could similarly change their body shape to simply avoid haki based attacks. So maybe it looks like it is passing through them like a normal attack, but it is actually the logia user shifting their body shape

Addressing those arguments

With Luffy, even though its been two years (and even longer IRL), his instant-friendship with Bellamy feels jarring. With Mr 3 we got to see his character growth firsthand, but with Bellamy we’re just to accept that he’s now a better man, and now Luffys friend (despite the bizarre comment about Skypeans when they first met). Luffy may be the type to forgive and make friends easily, but, like with Fukaboshi, just saying that the characters are friends doesn’t mean the readers are invested. If Luffy and Bellamy had gradually come around to respecting each other instead of instantly, it’d have been more compelling.

Except Luffy is fairly quick to forgive and forget and has done everything from instantly working to becoming buddy buddy with former enemies. Nico Robin, Franky, Crocodile and Mr. 3. He's not the type to hold grudges unless you're done irredeemably fucked up things, like with Caesar who he's clearly still angry and (and wanted to punch in the Capone family meeting). Not to mention him and Bellamy weren't even portrayed as buddies. Plus consider what Bellamy actually did wrong. He just robbed and beat up a guy Luffy knew. Remember in Impel Down when Hannibal mentioned Luffy's wanton disregard for freeing dangerous criminals and Luffy didn't care? I don't think Luffy really cared about Bellamy and what he'd done after recovering what he stole. He's a pirate and Luffy acknowledges that pirates do fucked up things. This is consistent with his character.

Then, Doflamingo. Now theres no problem with depicting abusive relationships in fiction, and that’s absolutely what this is. But when every single interaction between Doffy and Bellamy involves the latter getting fucked over and left for dead, you need a good reason for Bellamys continued admiration. And the micro-flashback of “Wowie its Doflamingo! I’m a big fan, can I join you?” “Whatever” is not enough. In the context of Jaya you don’t need anything except “Bellamy is a Doffy fan, Doffy doesn’t give a shit oh snap”, but when you make it an emotional centerpiece of an arc, you need more. Why does Bellamy think Doffy in particular is so great? We don’t know. Again, something good could’ve come of this by contrasting him to Bartolomeo or Law, or playing up that he doesn’t understand Doffys true World Destroying desires, but this never happens.

This is also a naive understanding of human relationships. You can criticize Oda in getting you to understand why Bellamy seems to adore Doffy so much, but claiming that there needs to be a "good reason" show you don't understand that sometimes there isn't, at least not from the outside. There are tons of factors that go into why people stay in abusive relationships, but like I said early, it probably stems from Bellamy having his dreams completely crushed and trying to salvage what little bit of pride he had left. If he couldn't beat Luffy he had nothing to live for.

So in the end, when Luffy fights Bellamy, we don’t really buy the supposed friendship, and we don’t buy Bellamys unquestioning devotion, and Bellamy comes across as the worlds biggest, dumbest cockhead. At this point he knows Doflamingo is terrible and does not, and will not, ever care about Bellamy – and yet he still obstructs the efforts to stop the genocidal maniac! Because “”pride””. That’s not a fucking valid reason! Theres nothing admirable about Pride in and of itself! Its having Pride in your Pride! Like, If you found out the leaders you admired were literal sadistic Nazis, and you kept fighting for them anyway for no other reason than “it would not be honorable to leave just because they turned out to be monsters”, then guess what, you’re a complete moron. I guess you can make the case that Bellamy is supposed to come across as pathetic, but then you also have that line from Luffy about "being a man", so ehh.

Again, they weren't friends or portrayed as such. Some people are dumb, but that's a realistic human characteristic and there are numerous real life examples of such. And yes, pride is a valid reason if you know what the word means. That example is terrible and completely irrelevant to the discussion. Also Bellamy can be pathetic, but Luffy can still have respect for him for sticking to his convictions, regardless.

Ogodei

Bellamy maintaining his faith to Doflamingo in the face of Doflamingo's faithlessness is meant to be noble. It makes Doffy all the worse but adds redeeming value to Bellamy himself.

One of those cases where people raised on Confucian values would get it while westerners think it just makes Bellamy into a moron, just like the thing with Gin and Don Krieg.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I love how colorful the Whole Cake Island arc volume covers are. When you think of the name "Whole Cake" you definitely think of cheery, whimsical colors (or at least I do). The whites and pinks and yellows and generally super bright colors fit perfectly

Red Fire

Bellamy maintaining his faith to Doflamingo in the face of Doflamingo's faithlessness is meant to be noble. It makes Doffy all the worse but adds redeeming value to Bellamy himself.

One of those cases where people raised on Confucian values would get it while westerners think it just makes Bellamy into a moron, just like the thing with Gin and Don Krieg.

Yeah probably.
Though with gin it wasn't that bad. Don Krieg did things Gin disagreed with but he didn't harm gin. He didn't want to kill him, he didn't laugh at him and say he is worthless. That's why i didn't feel the same way for Gin as i felt for Bellamy who looked like a total moron.

To think we are only at volume 28, we have a long way to go

Volume 28?

lbsa

Yeah.....

No, is 2017 which makes it sadder :(

Yes, Im from Mexico and volume 28 was just released last week

I of course have them all plus all the One Piece funko pops

Yea i feel your pain, here in Serbia there are only 14 volumes out right now.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm only 6 Volumes ahead of Mexico in my pursuit to own them all digitally!

...Mainly because I stopped buying 5 volumes a month when they got a price increase and I needed to save discretionary income for the Switch, but still!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Man I loved the atmosphere in Skypiea. Ancient Mayan jungle exploration in the sky (also Heaven right next door)

Zoro's goggles were cool too. It's weird how he changes clothes less than any other character except Luffy. (Chopper and Brook too I guess but they're... different)

Man I loved the atmosphere in Skypiea. Ancient Mayan jungle exploration in the sky (also Heaven right next door)

Zoro's goggles were cool too. It's weird how he changes clothes less than any other character except Luffy. (Chopper and Brook too I guess but they're... different)
Skypiea had the most chill sanji outfit(not including filler)

I'm pretty sure all the characters change their outfits arc to arc, some are just way more subtle than others (Luffy will wear different shorts, Sanji will have a different dress shirt).

I believe Nami's outfit count is in the late 50s.

lbsa

No way to import them from another region (in a language you understand)?

I could but, i want to support the local release when i can. It's not like there are a lot of manga getting released here so feel the need to help even a little bit.Plus importing can get pricy.

turmoil

Banned
It surprises me that Chopper is able to get clothes at all.

Also, with all the bodytypes in One Piece, Gaemon and Chopper are the only (non-child) small ones that come to mind.

Sure I am shamefully forgetting some important characters

SolVanderlyn

Skypiea had the most chill sanji outfit(not including filler)
I loved it. Then he went straight to his best outfit, the Water 7 pinstripe suit/vest combo.

Best outfit rankings:

Luffy

Whole Cake Island

Zoro

Skypiea

Sanji

Water 7

Nami

Water 7

Usopp

Enies Lobby

Chopper

Pre-timeskip I guess

Robin

Sabaody

Franky

Original Water 7

Brook

All two of his outfits are equally good

Chase17

865 thoughts
-I found the horse drinking tea on the cover page a little too funny.
-Gangster Gastino already thinking about his revenge after getting his hearts. What a visionary!
-I'm almost not ok with the psychological damage they are trying to do to Big Mom. Straw Hats are the real villains.
/s
-The panel of Sanji looking cool while standing on the table gave me life. Hopefully he get's some big moments soon. Sadly it looks like he will with the boring vinsmokes again for a while, which is one of the bigger losses for him this arc.
-I'm surprised at how little Pudding we've had since the beautiful eye part.
-Very interested by this flashback.
-Break :(

Ray Down

Banned
Pudding will be dealt with when he get to cooking the cake part or when Big Mom starts getting really angry.

There's still plenty of time.

SolVanderlyn

Yeah this might be the most underhanded plot the strawhats have been a part of.
They have a lot on the line. They want their friend back and BM threatened them directly all the way back on Fishman Island. Bege takes most of the flak for the shady business in the end anyway

marmoka

Banned
Yeah.....

No, is 2017 which makes it sadder :(

Yes, Im from Mexico and volume 28 was just released last week

I of course have them all plus all the One Piece funko pops

Robin is quite beautiful in that cover.

I think I will start reading the manga from the beginning. I started in the end of Dressrosa, and i feel like I'm missing a lot.

Ace Novel is coming July 7th.

What is this supposed to be in the end? It's some kind of prequel or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom