• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Punch Man Manga | OT | Just a Deus Ex Machina for Fun [SPOILERS]

Status
Not open for further replies.

theWB27

Seems we may be taking a hiatus of sorts as ONE has taken a break. No clue if its a short term thing or a longer one. I guess the word is that he might be getting a bit overworked doing both Mob Psycho 100 and One Punch Man.

Understandable because they were pumping out some content there for awhile.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
033_034.png

This arc is really starting to pay off, took long enough though. Even Suiryu is growing on me and made for quite the bad ass. Not sure what they're going to do with him after this arc though.

HStallion

I thought the tournament stuff was a real drag but hopefully the Garo stuff picks up again.

It took a while to get going but there were some pretty cool parts I didn't see people really talking about. The fact Genos whoops some ass was cool but the way Murata had his fights play out in parallel to those going on in the martial arts tournament was really well done. I'm betting it will work even better in the upcoming season 2.

I think the bigger issue was doing the martial during the beginning of the expanded Monster Association arc with all the new S Class hero and Garou stuff. I think it might have worked better enough coming before the Garou storyline really kicked off. Its basically 3 different storylines of equal importance all happening at once, there are even the little mini storylines like the meeting of the master swordsmen. Its a lot of stuff happening all at once that could have served coming one after the other with some minor changes.

guek

Banned
Good chapter. Saitama is nowhere to be found though. I wonder if he'll wander back and punch Gouketsu right as Suiryu falls unconscious.

HStallion

Well I'm guessing Suiryu is dead or at least seriously out of commission. Guess that's how they deal with his character.

Hypron

I really don't think he's dead but yeah he definitely got bodied.

Gouketsu seems extremely strong, considering he completely overwhelmed both Suiryu and a Dragon level monster.

I'm pretty curious where this is all heading, and what Saitama is up to.

Also, King hype

guek

Banned
Yeah where the hell is saitama. He completely vanished without fanfare after the tournament.

Gouketsu is definitely stronger than any other monster we've seen up to now. I wonder how he'd fair against Boros.

With the tournament part wrapping up, wonder if the final product will seem less meandering in the volume compilations.

Was only just reminded that Metal Bat's fight in Garou was part of the same arc.

guek

Banned
With the tournament part wrapping up, wonder if the final product will seem less meandering in the volume compilations.

Was only just reminded that Metal Bat's fight in Garou was part of the same arc.

You just reminded me, what the fuck happened with Garou vs Watchdog Man

DrD

I like what I've seen of Gouketsu so far, he seems way smarter than other monsters we've seen. Hope we get to see King vs Monster King. The battle of kings!

HStallion

I was surprised Suiryu ran. Figured he would have a change of heart and actually act like something of a hero but nope he's out of there only to get stomped by a guy who jobbed his way into power.

You just reminded me, what the fuck happened with Garou vs Watchdog Man

We won't see that fight I'm guessing. Just the aftermath.

Hypron

I like what I've seen of Gouketsu so far, he seems way smarter than other monsters we've seen. Hope we get to see King vs Monster King. The battle of kings!

Gouketsu also seems pretty chill as long as you're a monster yourself haha

theWB27

suiryu_vs_saitama__animation__by_pachydermreflections-db5hcvh.gif

Someone on Reddit partially animated the Suiryu Vs Saitama fight. Pretty well done! Gives you a little taste of what to expect from Season 2 of the anime.

That's bad ass. I'm hoping Bakuzan runs into either Tornado or Bang. Then have Ketsu make Saitama use a punch more powerful than the one he used on Boros. I'm ready to see his power amped up some more.

HStallion

Well seems that we will finally be moving into the actual Monster Association arc going off this chapter. I'm guessing the next couple chapters are going to be the S Class gathering and getting ready for the assault. Curious what happened to Saitama as I expected him to come out and wreck Gouketsu and Bakuzan.

HStallion

If I had my guess, season 2 would probably end after this fight. There will be more to see after the actual fight itself like in season 1 after the Boros fight but unless they jump well ahead of Murata I think this is probably the natural climax. Season 3 will cover the upcoming arc which should be huge unto itself especially with all the stuff added like the Monster King.

Zolo

If I had my guess, season 2 would probably end after this fight. There will be more to see after the actual fight itself like in season 1 after the Boros fight but unless they jump well ahead of Murata I think this is probably the natural climax. Season 3 will cover the upcoming arc which should be huge unto itself especially with all the stuff added like the Monster King.

I think we'll see more with everyone fighting in the city (maybe the monster king shows up here), but I do expect this is where we'll see the end of season 2.

Hypron

Yeah it's probably a good point to stop, unless they go for a 24 episodes season there's starting to be too much material to cover.

HStallion

Yeah it's probably a good point to stop, unless they go for a 24 episodes season there's starting to be too much material to cover.

I would rather they not jump ahead of Murata especially with some of the monster designs and fights coming up. I want to see what kind of incredible shit he gives us, that and we get back to Garou.

Hypron

I would rather they not jump ahead of Murata especially with some of the monster designs and fights coming up. I want to see what kind of incredible shit he gives us, that and we get back to Garou.

Yeah I'm the same. I think one 12-episodes season every two years would work pretty well. Getting new Mob Psycho 100 seasons in the off years would be great actually, I need more animated ONE in my life.

HStallion

Yeah I'm the same. I think one 12-episodes season every two years would work pretty well. Getting new Mob Psycho 100 seasons in the off years would be great actually, I need more animated ONE in my life.

I fucking can't wait for Mob Psycho 100 season 2. Some incredible stuff goes down.

Zolo

I honestly can't see the manga getting far enough ahead for a season 3 in 2 years. Maybe 4 years.

Davidion

Wasn't expecting that turn of events but....

Saitama about to fuck some monsters up.

This was a pretty brilliant moment as far as I'm concerned.

Spoilers just in case

I know it's a huge part of the reason why
OPM is as popular as it is, but it always impresses me how far the writing goes to frame Saitama's utterly one-trick-pony schtick, and how well and surprising it's done.

Here, the whole concept of ONE using Suiryu as a complete foil to not only the plot but also Saitama himself just feels great. The character is dragged (sometimes literally) from unassuming to relative omnipotency back down to helpless, from carefree to envious to despairing, all to basically set up Saitama sauntering back in to save the day. All this is done WHILE highlighting the flaws of the minor villains and the heroism of the minor heroes.

I'm no pro critic, but it seemed to me that when Saitama finally saves Snek, that not only gave closure to their first encounter but tied up everything from this arc (or so it seems, with his arrival). Had the biggest smile on my face.

HStallion

This was a pretty brilliant moment as far as I'm concerned.

Spoilers just in case

I know it's a huge part of the reason why
OPM is as popular as it is, but it always impresses me how far the writing goes to frame Saitama's utterly one-trick-pony schtick, and how well and surprising it's done.

Here, the whole concept of ONE using Suiryu as a complete foil to not only the plot but also Saitama himself just feels great. The character is dragged (sometimes literally) from unassuming to relative omnipotency back down to helpless, from carefree to envious to despairing, all to basically set up Saitama sauntering back in to save the day. All this is done WHILE highlighting the flaws of the minor villains and the heroism of the minor heroes.

I'm no pro critic, but it seemed to me that when Saitama finally saves Snek, that not only gave closure to their first encounter but tied up everything from this arc (or so it seems, with his arrival). Had the biggest smile on my face.

Yeah I know several people aren't too fond of the way this played more into common shonen stereotypes and cliches instead of pulling the rug out from under them like the first several parts of the manga but I'm enjoying it. The art is still great, I enjoyed a lot of the added characters like Suiryu and we even got to see a lot more of the S Class heroes, some of whom we barely ever see in the webcomic.

That and there were a lot of cool moments. My favorite was Genos fighting the series of monsters and each monster fight was playing off of the fights going on in the tournament. It will probably work even better in the anime adaptation since it won't be as broken up by the manga releases.

And of course I think Suiryu and the focus on martial arts will come back when we get into the next major arc as
Garou is martial artist all about becoming stronger and stronger even if requires becoming a monster to do so. It should be a pretty interesting comparison between the roads Suiryu and Garou took.

HStallion

That was an awesome chapter. Pretty beefy as well, what was that 40 pages? I gotta say I like Suiryu getting all scared for Saitama's sake haha.

Radec

That last chapter. I had my guesses that Saitama would bring Gouketsu's head but not that fast lol

Gonna be amazing now that Genos and Suiryu are gonna fight it out for Saitama's attention.

HStallion

The one thing that truly stands out to me in the latest chapter is where Pri Pri Prisoner keeps his cell phone...

HStallion

That was a really good episode. The conversation between Saitama and King was not one that happened in the original webcomic and neither was Saitama's depression this apparent. Hearing King's reasoning on stuff was pretty cool as well as even though its a bit bull shitty considering who is saying it it does strike true even if it doesn't quite get through to Saitama.

That and of course Garou getting his ass handed to him by Watchdog Man was great and of course the casual take down by Saitama.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom