• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online college and procrastinating

I just finished an essay due with 2 minutes remaining which I wrote in 25 minutes. I resubmitted it because I had the date wrong. So 1 minute before it was a F.

I need help. What has anyone here managed to do to break putting things off to the last minute? Sometimes I manage to get a lot of work done early in the week, but other times I just tell myself I'll do it the next day, then the next... and this happens to me. I get so distracted being right at my PC that I often find it hard to focus with Skype blowing up and game invites etc. I know the easy answer is disconnect your Internet, but even then, I still feel like I'd find a way to do something else instead. I was playing with the idea of buying a cheap old laptop, something you couldn't web browse with well or gutting it's network and going down to the library and just sitting down, working for a few hours, and do it again until I'm done for the week. Or am I bitching about nothing?

For reference, I can write quite fast - which makes it all the more damning I can't finish stuff like this a week ago.

If you have stuff like Skype or your PS4 running when you're trying to do work then obviously you're going to get distracted. I generally work at the computer in front of the internet too, but you have to impose limitations on the stuff you do (take yourself away from certain sites unless you're on a break), and allow yourself to take little breaks as a reward for putting in some work.

It really just comes down to self-control. Why did you wait until the last minute to do this essay? Also you work tends to suffer if you try to do it at the last minute. Personally, I knocked out my assignments as soon as possible, so I could just forget about it.

Also this is the wrong section.

Top Bottom