• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online course teaching game development with Unity - $10 bucks on Udemy.

tzare

thanks op, always wanted to make videogames, maybe this is a good way to start learning something and maybe one day i will :)

ss_lemonade

Thanks for the heads up, this will be fun to go through during my spare time. I work as a web developer, mostly with PHP so hopefully I can apply some of that programming knowledge here.

Also got the blender course. Last time I used blender was at college like 7 years ago so that will be interesting too.

KeRaSh

Shit. Missed it by a few minutes. Had it open when the sale was still live but when I refreshed it was back to regular prices.
I probably wouldn't have had the time to really get invested in the courses and actually learn how to properly code without instructions but who knows.
That reminds me... I wanted to learn Italian...

ss_lemonade

Shit. Missed it by a few minutes. Had it open when the sale was still live but when I refreshed it was back to regular prices.
I probably wouldn't have had the time to really get invested in the courses and actually learn how to properly code without instructions but who knows.
That reminds me... I wanted to learn Italian...
You can still get an 81% discount here

http://www.completeunitydeveloper.com/

It's not $10, but that's still a pretty good discount

FrsDvl

http://gamebucket.io/game/d57d01b3-0841-413a-8729-4875aa1adbe6

Finally kind of finished Block Breaker, ran into quite a few bugs, despite following the lessons. Still has a bug with the ball, but I'll figure that out eventually

Feels good to actually make something, and have it work as it should. Especially if you have no experience with this stuff what so ever!

I'm not sure if I want to keep going on with the course right away, or play around with this game for a while and make it better, by trying to add power ups, lives and stuff like that.

I regret not buying any other courses though.

Cmagus

I know the $10 sale is now over but I just got an email, checked the site and it seems that most courses are $15 on sale again so if you weren't sure now might be a good second chance to grab something .

I've been working through the Become a Game Maker with GameMaker Studio program and so far it's really good and in depth.

Become a Game Maker with GameMaker Studio

I'm about half way through the course so far and I would say if you want to make a small game with Game Maker this is worth the money. I'm already familiar with Game Maker quite a bit so the first 1/4 of this course was more a refresher but it breaks down how everything works nicely and even though I know most of the stuff I still found a few handy tips in there.

Hopefully this guy puts out more that goes a bit more in depth with the coding but the stuff here is more than enough to get a game up and running from an absolute beginner.

Cmagus

i hope someone bumps this when you find another sale lol, im digging the OP course and bought a couple more on using manga studio, honestly i just wish i bought some more, i really prefer this kind of course structure to just watching random outdated youtubes and tutorials that are all over the place

LOL @ stuff like this tho:
https://www.udemy.com/reskin-android-app-by-using-android-studio/?dtcode=gNlH9bP4loVf

There is another sale going on right now check my post above. Everything is $15 right now.

LiK

I know the $10 sale is now over but I just got an email, checked the site and it seems that most courses are $15 on sale again so if you weren't sure now might be a good second chance to grab something .

I've been working through the Become a Game Maker with GameMaker Studio program and so far it's really good and in depth.

I'm about half way through the course so far and I would say if you want to make a small game with Game Maker this is worth the money. I'm already familiar with Game Maker quite a bit so the first 1/4 of this course was more a refresher but it breaks down how everything works nicely and even though I know most of the stuff I still found a few handy tips in there.

Hopefully this guy puts out more that goes a bit more in depth with the coding but the stuff here is more than enough to get a game up and running from an absolute beginner.

yea, i got that for $10. i actually bought GM when it was on sale so i should probably learn it. UnderTale really pushed me into wanting to make a proper game with it.

Cmagus

yea, i got that for $10. i actually bought GM when it was on sale so i should probably learn it. UnderTale really pushed me into wanting to make a proper game with it.

Oh there's doubt you could make a game like Undertale with the knowledge from this course. You may need a little more advanced programming to do something like an rpg but this course covers everything to really make any kind of game, Game Maker is a great tool.

I picked up this course more for the programming aspect as it's by far my weakest point but so far the way he breaks it down is pretty good. The nice thing about this course is it covers a lot and all in one place, I know when I was learning it before I was looking everywhere and although there is nothing here you can't find for free online it's really convenient having it all in order and in one place.

I picked up Game Maker when it was part of the Humble Bundle which was a great investment.

LiK

Oh there's doubt you could make a game like Undertale with the knowledge from this course. You may need a little more advanced programming to do something like an rpg but this course covers everything to really make any kind of game. Game Maker is a great tool. I picked up Game Maker when it was part of the Humble Bundle which was a great investment.

yea, not gonna make anything as complicated at UnderTale with all the shit that happens in it. but something straightforward with a good story.

Will there be similar sales in the future? Because there are so many other courses I would like to take, but don't have money for

They do these sales constantly. Like every week seemingly. If they don't, there's affiliate sponsored sales often. So I wouldn't worry about having missed anything this time.

Arsenic

Did this sale just end? I checked prices and they are still at the triple digit range. If so, that'll be the second time in as many days that I've missed out lol

zero86r

There are often similar courses listed for free for a limited time on udemy, I have signed up for 100s of courses ranging from self defence to c++, all for free. I've only completed a handful so far though as i haven't had the time and some are truly terrible also.

There is another sale going on right now check my post above. Everything is $15 right now.
I did check when you posted that but do you need a coupon code or something, cos everything was and still shows up high prices for me. Even the on sale section of the app they're all like $100+

Cmagus

Did this sale just end? I checked prices and they are still at the triple digit range. If so, that'll be the second time in as many days that I've missed out lol

I did check when you posted that but do you need a coupon code or something, cos everything was and still shows up high prices for me. Even the on sale section of the app they're all like $100+

That's strange because mine is showing on sale. It says the sale is on until January 20th.

2ZaBAYL.png

I even got an email about the sale. I wonder if it may be something for those on the mailing list.

ok i got an email about the sale and now i see it clearly. destroying my bank account with $15 charges tonight but it's an investment in things i really want to get good at; game design for fun, mobile development for turning things into a career realistically soon, and art classes for bringing it all together. gonna be a busy year but im starting with the OP class and harvard's free CS50 to get me on the right track.

please keep linking good courses in these subjects if anyone knows any :) i've got a graphics tablet and probably am gonna go at it in manga studio since it seems like a reasonable alternative to photoshops monthly fees, but could i potentially take manga studio into 2D games i develop with unity? or is there a better road to take for that ultimate goal?

if i want to learn to code and make IOS games (well apps in general, ideally games but if i can crack into the industry just doing apps that's fine), is buying some popular IOS8 courses a good idea, or do i need IOS9 courses? obviously there'd be little changes but how significant is it for people with experience? just trying to weigh buying crazy high rated 8 courses versus ones for 9 that dont have nearly the same pedigree but might seem more up to date for the obvious reason, what do you guys with experience say?

edit: lol just bought IOS 9 and swift 2: from beginner to professional, but if any other courses are highly recommended i'd like to hear it

Damn looks like I missed out on this shit. I'm not sure it would be wise to spend the $15 on the game Maker class as that's really all the money i have left at the moment, even if I could find out the trick to get it to show up as $15.

Tried for years to learn Unity on my own through tutorials from the main site and several YouTubers, but there was always some code that never worked for me and when I tried asking help for people online it was basically you're on your own with that.

Cmagus

I just checked it... it's all nearly 200 bucks for me :/

Figures. Wish I'd known this was a limited time sale.

Try signing up for the mailing list. It seems like they send out an email and clicking on the email link will give you the sale. They don't really spam you all that much and I find it handy for when they do have sales.I also think that anyone who has purchased from them before automatically see the sale.

Damn looks like I missed out on this shit. I'm not sure it would be wise to spend the $15 on the game Maker class as that's really all the money i have left at the moment, even if I could find out the trick to get it to show up as $15.

Tried for years to learn Unity on my own through tutorials from the main site and several YouTubers, but there was always some code that never worked for me and when I tried asking help for people online it was basically you're on your own with that.

It's a really good course but if you're short on money it might be best to wait for the next sale. They do sales all the time and this one is going till the 20th so there is still time. You can still get the free version of Game Maker in the meantime and work away at it there are tutorials out there. Like I mentioned in a previous post there isn't really anything in the Game Maker course you can't find online it's just the course presents everything a bit more clearly and all in one place which provides a nice workflow.

Still seeing the $200+ prices. Darn. Do I have to get on their mailing list to activate it or something? Maybe make an account?
It looks that way, I had a friend who had to sign up for the mailing list and he got an email regarding the sale.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Still seeing the $200+ prices. Darn. Do I have to get on their mailing list to activate it or something? Maybe make an account?

Try signing up for the mailing list. It seems like they send out an email and clicking on the email link will give you the sale. They don't really spam you all that much and I find it handy for when they do have sales.I also think that anyone who has purchased from them before automatically see the sale.

It's a really good course but if you're short on money it might be best to wait for the next sale. They do sales all the time and this one is going till the 20th so there is still time. You can still get the free version of Game Maker in the meantime and work away at it there are tutorials out there. Like I mentioned in a previous post there isn't really anything in the Game Maker course you can't find online it's just the course presents everything a bit more clearly and all in one place which provides a nice workflow.

It looks that way, I had a friend who had to sign up for the mailing list and he got an email regarding the sale.

Signed up, fingers crossed for one of those sweetass emails :D

Cmagus

Is it possible to download the courses?

You cannot download the courses. They do it through the site only and it's setup so it keeps track of your progress. Also most courses have a quiz at the end of each section that get graded on the site and compares your marks with others.

Defect

You cannot download the courses. They do it through the site only and it's setup so it keeps track of your progress. Also most courses have a quiz at the end of each section that get graded on the site and compares your marks with others.
You can download the lectures on the IOS app.

all those things are regular price on website

i know because i want the game physics one

I just checked on the website; they're all down to $24 for me. But, I just installed the app on my phone, signed in, and it's all down to $15 there.

Check the app for the $15 price. Hopefully it's there for you.

Edit: Got the Unity one in the OP for $15. Thanks for the info, Defect.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I just checked on the website; they're all down to $24 for me. But, I just installed the app on my phone, signed in, and it's all down to $15 there.

Check the app for the $15 price. Hopefully it's there for you.

yeah still showing up regular but when i go to app, the prices are there. bought what i needed. thanks.

Deques

There is another sale going on. All courses for €12 each
Try this coupon code if you don't see the sale IGNITE10

LiK

slightly OT, but i'm taking a graphic design online course with a real college and the professor hasn't replied to a question i had for an assignment in the past 3 days and the assignement is due tonight at midnight. 3 other students have the same question. fuck these lazy professors.

Top Bottom