• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online course teaching game development with Unity - $10 bucks on Udemy.

GRaider81

Looking for a career change. £9 seems worth it!

Seriously though thanks for the find OP, have been meaning to dabble with unity for a while, looking forward to a structured tutorial.

This is a great opportunity, thanks for the link. I'm on overtime compensation in January, enough time to check out some new things. Bought a course in Unity, Python and SQL.

bought 5 classes, the 2 on Unreal Engine, the Unity one, the Blender one and lastly one about how to make pixel art. I'll start with the Unity one I think whenever I have time.

Cronee

I've been semi-actively going through (a few videos a week) and I am supremely happy with the course. I used to do some basic coding a long time ago (anyone remember graal when it had a level editor and you could host you own servers for free?) and I havent had much trouble with this course. Sure, sometimes I get a little behind because I had to look something up but overall it has been pretty easy going. Early on, probably right off the bat, the instructor says this course is for all skill levels but those who know nothing about coding will likely have to do some research on the side.

The community is active and helpful, the instructor is constantly adding more videos and even updating the earlier ones to correct mistakes or just to add in some notes. I highly recommend this course.

Xbudz

https://www.udemy.com/unitycourse/

I've been doing it for the past few days and I like it so far. I feel like it's a bit slow since I already code for a living, but for folks who haven't quite cut their teeth in game dev or coding - I think this class is great and straightforward.

The deal ends on the 11th. Also, the deal applies for most other classes on the site.

Dunno if this belongs properly in games, but if it needs to be moved, then so be it.

Thanks man. You saved me $180+
Last day of sale, I went for it.

Finished the first little project :D

2686951092.png

Enjoying it so far, teacher is good and understandable, the course doesn't move too fast and everything is very clear.

TheRed

Ended up buying 5 courses. Thanks man excited to learn some new things even though I already have 4 of my college courses to worry about now lol

Pluralsight is legit but it's indepth as hell.

Depending on your skill level, I'd recommend it. If you're just starting out, I'd do something lighter to get the momentum started.

I love Pluralsight. I have been using subscribed to that service for over 2 years. I'm tempted to buy the Unity course, but I know I won't have the time to go in-depth with it like I would.

StingX2

Any course suggestions for someone eventually interested in making apps? I signed for the unity course but since things are cheap now wanted to stack a few for that next step

fuzzyset

Any course suggestions for someone eventually interested in making apps? I signed for the unity course but since things are cheap now wanted to stack a few for that next step

According to the people in the thread in OT, these sales are common so I wouldn't sweat it.

SOLDIER

I'm pretty interested in trying out both Unity and UE4, but as someone with zero programming experience and a lot of games to get distracted with, I worry that I'll try these courses for a day or two and then give up out of frustration/boredom.

What I've always wanted to try from a game design standpoint is cutscenes. I always wanted to do cool looking mock-battles like the type you see on Dead Fantasy or Souce Filmmaker. Ideally, I would then share those ideas as proof of concept trailers to people in the hopes of drumming up interest.

Would Unity and/or UE4 be ideal for that? I'm wondering just what I could accomplish all by myself. Anything I created I would want to share if I thought it was good enough.

LiK

Thanks Afro, $10 is chump change to learn something I'm interested in.

edit: also signed up for some art and graphic design ones. Only $10 each. Not bad to brush up on my rusty art skills.

This is the same course I started a while back. Very handy for someone like me who's a pure beginner in coding (I know html and css but yeah). I need to get back into it and finish this up.

Tubie

Just picked this up.

There are way worse things to impulse spend $10 on.

Who knows, maybe I'll end up doing the course and come out with a brand new set of skills for just $10.

anatomy (the one you posted) and adobe photoshop design. need to get myself back into drawing again.

Nice same here. I already had a photoshop one and was debating on the anatomy. Just signed up for that too because why not.

I definitely need to fit these classes into my schedule now.

These are dangerous. Now debating on Japanese classes and anything else I can do haha. X_X

LiK

Nice same here. I already had a photoshop one and was debating on the anatomy. Just signed up for that too because why not.

I definitely need to fit these classes into my schedule now.

These are dangerous. Now debating on Japanese classes and anything else I can do haha. X_X

yea, i like these cuz i can do it on my own schedule. i also registered for an actual graphic design online course in a college for Spring 2016. still waiting back for being officially signed up. costs like a grand but whatever, i wanna get outta my current job this year.

Hitchhy

Neo Member
Those discounts come back all the time, right?
Little bit low on money right now, so just bought the Unity course and one for Java,
will probably get the Blender course next time...

Those discounts come back all the time, right?
Little bit low on money right now, so just bought the Unity course and one for Java,
will probably get the Blender course next time...

If it makes you feel any better, there are some great blender tutorials on YouTube.

jrDev

This is extremely annoying. I can't purchase with Paypal, my credit card or through the app on app store. Like how is this happening only to me in every situation I try to make a purchase?

Is there a recommended Unity C# one?

While I shouldn't spread out too far, I should probably pick up one or two for UE as well. Are the recommended ones the ones by Ben Tristem, same as Unity?

Edit: I'll just focus on what I have now, and wait for the next time these go on sale.

This is extremely annoying. I can't purchase with Paypal, my credit card or through the app on app store. Like how is this happening only to me in every situation I try to make a purchase?

I was able to purchase the class using Paypal without any problems. Not sure what the issue could be :(

BTA

Picked up the Unity and Blender courses. I figure I'm going to have some downtime this summer that I might as well use for this.

FrsDvl

I got this yesterday and I've been zooming through it, just about finished my block breaker game. Which I'll finish tomorrow.

I'm a total beginner, and had no Unity / C# knowledge at all. It's super user friendly, and I actually feel like I'm learning quite a bit.

Best purchase of 2016 so far.

- J - D -

Not sure how I missed this thread up to now. Very happy I managed to get a couple before the sale ends. Unity and Python. With a sale like this there's an impulse for me to enroll in anything that looks even half interesting, but I know that breadth will only make me lose focus and quit.

Thanks, op.

SalvaPot

Well couldn't resist and got it. I started a career in computer science but drop it after 2 years because I got bored and wanted to start my own business. Honestly learning at my pace sounds brilliant and for $10 it was hard to argue.

Is there something I should know before starting? I have very basic knowledge in java, visualfox and html, but its been a long time ago I can't recall anything at all.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Is it actually any better than just going through the countless free tutorials out there (many of which are junk, of course), especially if you're already a somewhat proficient coder? I got quite far with Unity using only free resources, among other things making a simple but functional Minecraft clone with endless procedural worlds with different biomes and all.

Well couldn't resist and got it. I started a career in computer science but drop it after 2 years because I got bored and wanted to start my own business. Honestly learning at my pace sounds brilliant and for $10 it was hard to argue.

Is there something I should know before starting? I have very basic knowledge in java, visualfox and html, but its been a long time ago I can't recall anything at all.

C# is much like Java, only a bit nicer (IMO), so it should at least feel familiar to you.

danthefan

This course seems to start from the very start so if you've made a Minecraft clone I'm guessing you won't get a huge amount from it tbh.

Deques

Really nice sale!

I bought these two courses

tZGGzSJ.png

Will there be similar sales in the future? Because there are so many other courses I would like to take, but don't have money for

I considered buying in a few days ago, but doubt set in and I was worried it'd just go to waste, then hopped back figuring the sale was already over, saw the amount of praise it was getting from some of y'all (I have very little actual programming knowledge so reading that it does a good job despite that was very encouraging) I decided to bite the bullet while I still had a chance...

..I'm either going to make something and learn useful things, or I'll be a classic case of why people like me shouldn't have disposable income.

Top Bottom