• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online course teaching game development with Unity - $10 bucks on Udemy.

For someone who has artistic capability but zero programming knowledge/experience, how beneficial would this program be to take in order to eventually have a working knowledge of the program to produce something worth playing?

well you need logic and some basic arithmetic and algebra can help. I doubt this course requires any super complicated math.

If it's anything like Jscript, algebra helps with loops that need to pull variable numbers. Everything else is super basic though.

Azih

Yeah, I'm not horrible at math but what do you need to know in order to make a game? I doubt a $10 training course is going to quickly and easily catch me up on years of math classes.

Depends on the kind of programming. Carmack level shit benefits from a PHD but you're not going to be coding your own physics engine so you would be fine with much less for most kinds of indie games.

Afrocious

For someone who has artistic capability but zero programming knowledge/experience, how beneficial would this program be to take in order to eventually have a working knowledge of the program to produce something worth playing?

Look at it this way:

What do you have as far as experience toward those goals you just wrote out?

If none, then why not add an experience to them by spending 10 bucks on this course?

If you do have a hard time with the course (and I have no doubt anyone will given how grounded in fundamentals it is), at least you'll go from not knowing anything at all to knowing what you do and don't know. You know? :3

I've been developing games in Unity and C# for the last 5 years. A friend of mine wanted to do this course and had me look at it to make sure it wasn't shit, I was actually surprised at how good it seemed to be, at least the start of it. Unlike a lot of other Get Started Game Programming Tutorials this doesn't skimp on the fundamentals, most importantly it has a big section early on about how important it is to learn how to properly debug your code. Just based on the first section I'd recommend this course over the tutorials on Unity's site, which, last I checked are full of horrible programming practices that are probably responsible for lots of games made in Unity being grossly unoptimized (the unoptimized engine doesn't help either).

Also I'm bad at math and have made it this far by knowing some basic trigonometry and when there's something I don't know how to do I usually just google it and copy paste. Game programming math is way easier than you'd think if you're working with a high level engine like Unity, smarter people have already figured out all the common problems and you can just use their solutions, lol.

Is this one really good? I bought a Unity 4.x course on a humblebundle-esque site that activated on Udemy once. It was HORRIBLE. Seriously, it was captured at 4:3 lowres, the guy had a bad mic, I tried to watch it anyway but the teaching also wasn't good.

And well, I just remembered they (Stone River eLearning) promising to upgrade everybody that bought it to a new Unity 5 course with a different instructor. But still I don't feel it is as good as this one.

(That's the one they have given https://www.udemy.com/game-development-with-unity-5/)

Breads

Banned
I wish there were courses like these but with graphic design.

EDIT: Actually the do have some. I am going to browse the website fully! Thanks for the heads up OP.

Graphic Design is such a broad industry. Composition, Typography, Print/ web publishing, and Photoshop are the basics and from there you try to learn the programs (illustrator/flash for vector art, flash/ after effects for basic animating/ graphic programming, Quark (does anyone still use this?)/ InDesign for publishing, not sure any more for web development) depending on your needs.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
OP gets the thumbs up from me. For $10, it's something I've been planning on doing regardless - and curation does count.

Venfayth

Thanks for this! Perfect timing! I've been having some really cool ideas for a low poly 3d game swirling around in my head for the past week or so. Grabbed both the Unity and the Blender courses.

Baust

Thanks so much, OP!

I was about to start learning a whole lot more Unity this month, so this came along for me at a perfect time.

Joqu

Thanks OP. I've been meaning to try something like this and at that price it really can't hurt even if it doesn't work out.

RK9039

Wow this is really useful, there are so many good courses on this site. I was thinking about taking this IT course after I'm done with my current job and it looks like some of those topics are on there, I can get a head start.

Went to the link to buy it and it turns out I already bought it. Well, maybe this'll be a reminder to actually do it. I've toyed around with Unity a bit in the past but a proper course sounds good.

Joqu

Wow, this is really useful. There's so many good courses on this site.

Haha I said I didn't mind spending the money on the unity one but looking around some of these are so tempting! >_<

If anyone has other recommendations I'd love to hear about that. I feel like I should at least pick up the Blender one as well.

Got these
4WwT8Hu.png

Which Ue4 one?

There's this one
https://www.udemy.com/unreal-engine-4-the-complete-beginners-course/#/

and this

https://www.udemy.com/unrealcourse/#/

That C++ one is by the same guy that did the Unity one.
Oh, he did the Blender one too.
Is this guy a monster?

roytheone

Is it weird that I want to take some of those courses just for fun while not having any ambitions to go work in this industry?

neonglow

Thanks to this thread I purchased the Unity and Blender courses plus a couple other classes I'm interested in. In all it cost the same as what I would pay for a full priced game. This should occupy my time when I'm bored and should last until next year's sale.

Kouichi

I already bought this earlier today and have been really liking it so far. Funnily enough, I had just downloaded Unity for the first time and was just about to start the first tutorial when my brother introduced me to the site and showed the deal.

I'm going to buy the rest of the instructor's courses and really dive into game development.

Ilmyr

Thanks OP for telling us! :)
12€ is really cheap, so i bought it. This is a good opportunity to finally get into making games.

Kayant

Thanks for this OP. Reminded me to get Java, Python I been wanting to get. Will probably add this also for fun :p

Thanks OP grabbed this. Has anyone taken any of the Python courses on here? Been meaning to try one out and I'm looking at this one

https://www.udemy.com/complete-python-bootcamp/?dtcode=8Dj2LEF4kgJW

If you are just starting with Python I highly recommend CodeAcademy's free course. It's really good with interactive lessons

EDIT: Looked over the one you linked to and it looks like it might be more comprehensive than CodeAcademy's, which could make it more daunting and hard to get into if you are completely new to programming.

Thanks OP. Grabbed this and a 3ds Max course.

For those wary about trying out a certain course, they offer a 30 day full refund if you're not happy with the course. Full details can be found in their help section. Might help for those who want to give some courses a try to see if they're good for you.

Xena

Thanks for pointing this out OP, got the Japanese N5, N4 and Kanji courses as well! Didn't know of this sales going on!

thefro

They've added a ton of content to the Unity course since I enrolled (since it was part of a Kickstarter). Great value for $10.

Ludovico

For those wary about trying out a certain course, they offer a 30 day full refund if you're not happy with the course. Full details can be found in their help section. Might help for those who want to give some courses a try to see if they're good for you.

This is awesome, because now I'm looking at six other courses...

Thanks, OP!

Breads

Banned
Is it weird that I want to take some of those courses just for fun while not having any ambitions to go work in this industry?

Not at all. Only half of mine are work related. The other half are for fun.

That and because I'm taking a break from gaming until Dark Souls 3.

This is actually something I wanted to work into my own campus schedule this semester but couldn't find one. $10 seems like a steal. Thanks for the heads up, OP.

amrod

Does anyone have any recommendations for C/C++?? I've been wanting to mess around with Arduino.

This site has some courses but too many to chose from for me to make a good choice. Any advice?

wmlk

The options to learning different things honestly gives me a lot of anxiety.

There's Udemy, Codeschool, Treehouse, and a bunch of other places with similar offerings across the board. These are pretty big time sinks and it's difficult to find the right one.

RedSnake

Do I need a top notch PC for this course?
Probably for the UE4 one right?

If I can run all the required programs on my PC I'll buy a couple of courses :)

There's Udemy, Codeschool, Treehouse, and a bunch of other places with similar offerings across the board. These are pretty big time sinks and it's difficult to find the right one.
Just go by reviews and what people on other boards generally recommend.

Honestly, Lynda.com has been the best training service I've used. Their videos did a great job of introducing and explaining programming languages and tools like Photoshop. Once I got familiar with the languages and tools, I was able to follow more advanced tutorials and do things on my own.

I've always used Codeschool as a way to apply what I've learned elsewhere. I didnt find them great for actually learning new things.

Top Bottom