• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online course teaching game development with Unity - $10 bucks on Udemy.

Syncytia

Awesome.

Apparently I'll be learning Blender, UE4, Unity, Piano, German, French, Japanese....

I'm sure this will go fantastically

Head.spawn

I'd like to learn to make something small and simple for my daughter to mess around with.

$10 seems more than reasonable if it can help.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I was doing "Learn To Code by Making Games in Unity" with Ben Tristem. I don't mind it. In fact it's not that bad. I signed up for a C++ class. I also have a few on mobile apps and other engines.

I don't mind Unity, but I'm kinda fond of Unreal Engine now that it is free. I highly recommend downloading UE4 to be honest. There are some top quality tutorials online. I wasn't really taking myself serious the first couple times I sorta bashed the college part of game design. In all honesty $10 is a great deal versus $1500-$2000 a class at colleges around the US.

I think that's a rip off. Tutorials and so forth are what they'll hand you in school. I took 3 3DS MAX courses at a tech school. I wasted some money I payed back because I didn't like their high interest rates or the amount I paid to take it. All they did was show me some basics and left me with Googling the rest.

It's a bit strange going from 3DS Max to Blender, just because I miss how everything was set up. I felt like I could control the pallet much easier in 3DS Max and setting up particle effects was much easier in 3DS Max.

Edit: UE4 has blueprints set up for games preinstalled. It's like having everything set up for you in advance. I say blueprints, but they're templates.

Damaniel

Banned
OP gets the thumbs up from me. For $10, it's something I've been planning on doing regardless - and curation does count.

Yep - I've found the free Unity tutorials to be kind of lacking, and the better Udemy courses tend to cover the material far better than a lot of the free options. My biggest problem is the 20 other courses I've already purchased during other sales that I keep on telling myself I'll get to someday...

(I also picked up the Web development bootcamp course. There's actually a bunch of interesting courses on sale for $10 at the moment and I might grab a couple more.)

Now this is an impulse buy I can get behind. Bought. One of my goals this year is to boost my programming skills and this is just the motivation I need.

Thank You so much for the tip! I managed to buy 2 more courses from the same instructor as well as a Japanese language course from this site. This will probably give me a head start for when I go back to college in September for game programming.

Supposedly PluralSight has a better reputation for software dev courses than Udemy, however I don't know if it has a similar Unity course (I've definitely seen Unity stuff on there however)

You can get a free 6 month trial of everything they have by signing in to this Microsoft page

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/visual-studio-dev-essentials-vs.aspx

started my trial yesterday but not gone through any of the course materials yet

I actually work for Pluralsight. I gotta say as someone who spends a lot of his time on GAF it was surreal seeing the name drop in this thread. Worlds are colliding!

ohkay

Thanks for this OP. I've been meaning to teach myself Unity for a while and this course looks like it might inspire me to actually get it done

I've picked up and dropped both Blender and Unity in the past because of the lack of guidance I had. Bought both of their courses, thanks for pointing them out!

RiverBed

Banned
A quick and important question: can I pay now but start the course later? It seems like a really good offer, but I'm moving between places soon and I can't start a course now, but I don't want to miss that price. I never took an online course before, so I don't know how it will work. Are there classes I have to be logged in live for? Can I pay now and start maybe next month, or something like that?

Cheers.

Has anyone completed this course. Is it better than the standard online tutorials under the learn section of Unities page?

I've done those. Was just curious if this goes into greater depth than those tutorials?

A quick and important question: can I pay now but start the course later? It seems like a really good offer, but I'm moving between places soon and I can't start a course now, but I don't want to miss that price. I never took an online course before, so I don't know how it will work. Are there classes I have to be logged in live for? Can I pay now and start maybe next month, or something like that?

Cheers.

Nah, it's not a course in the traditional sense! Everything is already recorded and can be done at your own pace. You buy it and have it forever.

Cheers.

Yup. Just log on to your account to view the courses whenever.

Cheers.

Looks like you can.

I planned on only buying the unity course and then saw the game maker course, and then a course on making 6 games in unity to help solidify what im doing and then someone posted links to the UE4 courses. Im now walking away with 5 courses. Worth it.

hitmon

Thanks for the tip! I started browsing over the other courses. Anybody have a recommendation between ruby or python for a person with limited to no coding experience?

Copper

Dang looks like I'm walking away with 3-4 courses... It looks really interesting but I don't know if I'll have time but at this price I really can't turn it down.

Kayant

Just wanted to give some feedback after paying a few courses. One of the courses I brought I didn't feel like it was for me after a second look so requested a refund and the case was very quickly(I think in under 20 mins or so) with no questions asked.

I love the fact you have lifetime access and lecturers can update courses for no extra cost to you. Big reason I choose this over others which are mostly subscription based.

LowParry

From the OT, picked up Oracle SQL to learn, Japanese and guitar lessons.

That's pretty damn cool with all those other game developer lessons to do.

RiverBed

Banned
I bought two course: the suggested Unity one and an Unreal Engine 4 Beginners guide as well. So excited.

Thanks for the heads up, OP! Now I'll always remember to check online course since they are so convenient.

what's the recommended japanese course for total beginner? my dream is to someday able to play future Yakuza games since I'm not sure even Sony will keep paying the localization cost...

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
what's the recommended japanese course for total beginner? my dream is to someday able to play future Yakuza games since I'm not sure even Sony will keep paying the localization cost...

514jfrKge6L._SX300_.jpg

I use to have this. It taught me numbers, days of the week, and the months.

There's probably a good course on Udemy, but I'm not familiar with it.

kulapik

I'm also interested in this, I'm tempted on grabbing the N5 one but I'm not sure if that's too advanced for beginning

keenerz

I wonder if the Lynda course is good. I've got a subscription through work. I might give it a look at, I already downloaded the Unity developer thing in hopes of playing around with it one day, but this might give me the push.

klaushm

The courses from Ben Tristem you can do without been afraid.

They are easy, hand-helding for beginners. At Udemy you can download their mobile app, and download the videos to see when without connection.

Also, if you are an artist and want to learn how to write code, it's good but not advisable. Try to find some developer and make a team. Do both your and his/her projects(not at the same time).

But if you really want to learn how to write code to create a game by yourself... Well... Try something that don't need too much programming but it's artistically beautiful, like a point n click game.

Wanderer5

Wow some sweet sale here. No sure if I would consider this one, since I really don't have much desire to code, but I look at a couple other things that I could possibly do on the side.

jrDev

Wow! I don't really need the Unity tutorials, but something like learning objective c and swift I can't pass up because I am applying for app Dev jobs this year and most ask for Objective C and Swift experience but not C# and JavaScript experience which I have!

Thanks!

Cmagus

I bought this one during this sale. I haven't started it yet (I'll sit down with it this week) but just browsing through and watching some of the lessons it looks really in-depth. I've been working on learning Game Maker recently and this certainly looks to go into better detail then most tutorial videos out there.

These courses offer a 30 day money back guarantee if you're not happy with them so at $10 if you can afford it, it seems like a pretty good course.

I really need to learn how to draw / make graphics, whether it's pixel art or something from Photoshop. But isn't photoshop like a monthly sub now or is there a way to get it so you can only pay once?

Pikelet

I really need to learn how to draw / make graphics, whether it's pixel art or something from Photoshop. But isn't photoshop like a monthly sub now or is there a way to get it so you can only pay once?

You can get a bundle containing Photoshop and Lightroom for ten bucks a month here. I'm guessing you can probably get a similar deal (if not better) in the US. I understand the aversion to the subscription model, but at that price it really is tremendous value.

I don't think you can buy any modern version of Photoshop outright any more.

Top Bottom