• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OnLive Launching June 17, $14.95 Per Month

blitz64

got my account. not sure what game to pick. maybe dragon age.
or just wait for newer games. i would like split second.

Pretty amazing considering its streaming. Hopefully things aren't locked at a 30fps cap, but either way, its so damn nice to even think we have come this far in technology.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
When OnLive gets some competition prices should go down.

Banned
TruthJunky said:
What do I have to do to get a free game? Do I just sign up for a 'Founding Members Program' account?
I think it's to late for that. The current offer now is one free year and a second year you get a 12 month discount

Exis

If this had original content that took advantage of the format it could have a killer app. However this thing eats bandwidth and is not worth it compared to Steam and Gamefly.

Someone will pull this off however, an all you can eat subscription service might work. Although GameTap tried that and failed.

Bit-Bit said:
You guys know what would be amazing? If I can get a blue tooth controller and play this on my iPad. That would be so freakin cool.
Did you see the iPad demo they did at E3? Bad. Ass.

But don't get your hopes up yet. They're not allowing connections via WiFi right now, as even though it's now officially released, they're still in a ramping up and testing phase. From what I've read, they want to figure out network problems and not WiFi problems right now. And the iPad is just a tech demo (he even says just that in that linked video) and is more to show that OnLive can run on nearly anything. They also have it running on iPhone and Android.

iPhone 4 and iPad both support 802.11n so I really wouldn't be surprised to see OnLive show up in the App Store down the road.

Ether_Snake said:
When OnLive gets some competition prices should go down.
They'll be getting competition next year from Gaikai. Gaikai just announced a deal at E3 that they'll host EA games...and now EA games are mysteriously unavailable from OnLive, including Crysis which was used all the time to demonstrate the service. None of the press releases or articles about Gaikai mention the word "exclusivity" but still - having an exclusive game or two is one thing, but a massive publisher being exclusive makes me very nervous. I'd like more light to be shed on this very soon.

itxaka

Defeatist
Kibbles said:
Is there a way you could send the invitation my way?

Unfortunately, is not an invitation per se, but the pre-registration was activated. I can't change the email so I am stuck with this :/

azentium said:
Depends on the game. According to Fraps, I get around 30 for Borderlands.

FRAPs isn't going to give an accurate figure for this, surely? Onlive is still going to pump out the same amount of video frames no matter how slowly the machine is running the game.

Mikey Jr.

LovingSteam said:
Let me know when they scrap the monthly cost. Until then no thanks. Not a fan of paying full price to rent a game.

So whose going to pay for the bandwidth........?

Jesus?

I skipped some pages, but I was watching a hands on Onlive demo and did I see a "keep it" price for Prince of Persia the Forgotten Sands for $49.99? Is that why they are so secretive with game prices?

Mikey Jr. said:
So whose going to pay for the bandwidth........?

Jesus?
Umm you do realize Steam uses a he'll of alot of bandwidth and doesn't have a monthly charge. Onlive is charging you full price to rent games. What happens if in a year you no longer want to pay the fee? Bye bye games. Even Live doesn't require a fee to play games unless it's online multiplayer. Have fun with that.

Agent X

Ready Up Already said:
They'll be getting competition next year from Gaikai. Gaikai just announced a deal at E3 that they'll host EA games...and now EA games are mysteriously unavailable from OnLive, including Crysis which was used all the time to demonstrate the service. None of the press releases or articles about Gaikai mention the word "exclusivity" but still - having an exclusive game or two is one thing, but a massive publisher being exclusive makes me very nervous. I'd like more light to be shed on this very soon.

There are still some EA games on OnLive, like Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age: Origins. However, seeing that other EA games that were available during the beta phases (including Burnout Paradise and the Crysis games) have disappeared is kind of disturbing.

Mikey Jr.

LovingSteam said:
Umm you do realize Steam uses a he'll of alot of bandwidth and doesn't have a monthly charge. Onlive is charging you full price to rent games. What happens if in a year you no longer want to pay the fee? Bye bye games. Even Live doesn't require a fee to play games unless it's online multiplayer. Have fun with that.

Steam lets you download the game, and then they don't have to provide you with bandwidth at all (lets assume you dont redownload it). Ok, so a game is 5gb. Steam uploads that 5gb, and they use that 5gb, and thats it. Steam is out of the picture.

Onlive is streaming CONSTANT bandwidth all the time. You are getting 720p video (I'm assuming) for a month constantly. Lets say you play for 4 hours a day, 7 days a week. Thats 112 hours of 720p video.

A 1 hour video at 720p is, lets be conservative and say 1gb (and thats being VERY conservative), would be 112gb! Ok, 112 giga-fucking-bytes.

Steam is uploading 5gb, Onlive is uploading 112gb.

I'm not even including the costs of computer hardware that they would have to maintain.

Mikey Jr. said:
Steam lets you download the game, and then they don't have to provide you with bandwidth at all (lets assume you dont redownload it). Ok, so a game is 5gb. Steam uploads that 5gb, and they use that 5gb, and thats it. Steam is out of the picture.

Onlive is streaming CONSTANT bandwidth all the time. You are getting 720p video (I'm assuming) for a month constantly. Lets say you play for 4 hours a day, 7 days a week. Thats 112 hours of 720p video.

A 1 hour video at 720p is, lets be conservative and say 1gb (and thats being VERY conservative), would be 112gb! Ok, 112 giga-fucking-bytes.

Steam is uploading 5gb, Onlive is uploading 112gb.

I'm not even including the costs of computer hardware that they would have to maintain.
And yet you're still paying a fee + full price for games. When the day arrives and you don't want to pay the fee say goodbye to your games. I don't have to worry about that with Steam. It's not a bad idea if you just want to rent games for a few days depending on the price bit for full price games? Yea it's a rip.

Exis said:
If this had original content that took advantage of the format it could have a killer app. However this thing eats bandwidth and is not worth it compared to Steam and Gamefly.

Someone will pull this off however, an all you can eat subscription service might work. Although GameTap tried that and failed.

can u imagine valve fitting steam with a streaming software? using your account? My god...

Mikey Jr.

LovingSteam said:
And yet you're still paying a fee + full price for games. When the day arrives and you don't want to pay the fee say goodbye to your games. I don't have to worry about that with Steam. It's not a bad idea if you just want to rent games for a few days depending on the price bit for full price games? Yea it's a rip.

If you have a decent computer, than why are you looking at Onlive? Its not for you.

This is not steam. Its not meant to replace steam.

This service allows people who have crappy computers, netbooks, laptops, iphones, who want to play crysis, who want to play assassins creed 2, who want to play borderlands, but can't because they have the devices mentioned above.

For people who travel a lot and want to play Just Cause 2 on their Ipads but dont want to lug around a gaming laptop with them.

For 15 bucks a month plus game, you are getting the LUXURY of playing anywhere with any device.

Mikey Jr. said:
If you have a decent computer, than why are you looking at Onlive? Its not for you.

This service allows people who have crappy computers, netbooks, laptops, iphones, who want to play crysis, who want to play assassins creed 2, who want to play borderlands, but can't because they have the devices mentioned above.

For people who travel a lot and want to play Just Cause 2 on their Ipads but dont want to lug around a gaming laptop with them.

For 15 bucks a month plus game, you are getting the LUXURY of playing anywhere with any device.

yeah in a way it could be a great thing for pc gaming, since each person playing onlive, would have his own account and that would need a unique pc cd key, say 500,000 people use it, thats a good chunk of any decent pc game sold already just to onlive for reselling to customers.

unless somehow they recycle the lapsed accounts cd keys to new accounts?

Mikey Jr. said:

If it succeeds then it's more likely other companies will try and require it since it is truly a piracy stopper. I'm hoping it fails even if that makes me a douchebag.

Que tag quote

Banned
LovingSteam said:
No it's not meant. "Gamers" have a very immature stance to anything that doesn't directly target all their bulletpoints.

Onlive is not for collecting games. It's for people who want to play Hardware-intensive games without the initial investments into various hardware, software and time. You aren't paying for a full product, but a license to play games under certain parameters.

For me it's awesome. I don't have to drop a ton of money into replacing my laptop like it's another console. I can easily buy/rent something and be done with it when Im done with it.

If you don't want to pay the fee, suspend your account and pay 15 bucks once a year

LovingSteam said:
If it succeeds then it's more likely other companies will try and require it since it is truly a piracy stopper. I'm hoping it fails even if that makes me a douchebag.

Que tag quote

meh if that became the case, id just get the console version of whatever title (which you know 90% of big pc games have now), at least then Id own it, it would probably look better, and whatever lag wouldnt be there caused by connection issues. Because onlive (speaking as a person who owns a gaming pc) gives me no value in its service while removing the main reason to pc game (high quality graphics / mod support).

Parham

Banned
brain_stew said:
FRAPs isn't going to give an accurate figure for this, surely? Onlive is still going to pump out the same amount of video frames no matter how slowly the machine is running the game.
True, I suppose that FRAPS is just monitoring the video that is being streamed. From what I could tell, at least, the games were running at a minimum 30 FPS. I have had minor instances in which a game would show signs of a low frame rate; however, I am unsure if those had to do with their machines or the latency.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
azentium said:
I would have to guess that the majority of games on OnLive are running at low or medium settings.

Borderlands:
1.png

2.png

3.png

wow, that's ugly, but I see no artifacts. So if they get rid of lag completely and up the visuals a bit I might start looking forward to it.

subversus said:
wow, that's ugly, but I see no artifacts. So if they get rid of lag completely and up the visuals a bit I might start looking forward to it.

looks crappy compared to a high end rig, but if that ran fine on some shitty ass laptop that had no chance in hell of running even the title screen locally, well you can see where they hope to make their money, I dont know how large of a segment of this pc market gives a shit though, (and doesn't already own a console for their occasional gaming needs).

lets face it, this isnt really the good ol' days when alot of cool looking games were pc exclusive, those games (10 years old or more) can all run on the lowelyest of netbooks now, and the higher end current ones are multiplatform)... except...crysis I guess.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
ZombieSupaStar said:
looks crappy compared to a high end rig, but if that ran fine on some shitty ass laptop that had no chance in hell of running even the title screen locally, well you can see where they hope to make their money, I dont know how large of a segment of this pc market gives a shit though, (and doesn't already own a console for their occasional gaming needs).

Well, if it runs on a shitty laptop and through wi-fi it'd be cool to play something like that in airports, cafés and so on. But since it doesn't run on wi-fi and wi-fi bandwidth isn't there yet I don't think it'll fly well in its first year. But we have to see.

Parham

Banned
subversus said:

There are definitely artifacts in many of their games.

Just Cause 2:
4.png

5.png

6.png

DiRT 2:
7.png

8.png

9.png

(Screenshots taken by Fraps)

Of the games that I have played, DiRT 2 has had the worst performance.

stressboy

Agent X said:
There are still some EA games on OnLive, like Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age: Origins. However, seeing that other EA games that were available during the beta phases (including Burnout Paradise and the Crysis games) have disappeared is kind of disturbing.

Dragon Age is on there? I signed on today and I didn't see it in their marketplace.

SILVO

Banned
I read somewhere (can't remember it for the life of me right now) that they're shooting for 1080p and 60fps by March 2011, as their technology and general broadband capabilities improve. Should be interesting, and works well for me because I get back to the US from abroad around then. If I was still in the States, I'd probably be on the service right now, but I HATE being an early adopter guinea pig.

Cloak

I finally got to try this last night and my first impressions; I have to say I like it. Currently my gaming rig is completely outdated and I wanted to see if this would be a nice replacement. I playing a few demos last night on the relatively new (non-gaming laptop) and everything ran smooth. As someone stated before this laptop had no hope in playing anything like the way I played last night.

That said, I’m not really into paying monthly fees + games (full price) that may only last 3 years. Though I’m glad I signed up early and got the 1st year free + a game (haven’t decided on what to get). I’ll play around with it. Also originally I heard that the monthly cost would have been $15/month, but the site is also saying something about $4.95/month. I go back and forth with the per month thing… just figuring if I were to buy a $2K rig and that lasts me about 5 years (they have so far, but no hope in playing Crysis lol) that breaks down to about $33/month. So even @ $15 it isn’t bad… they should partner with Steam so you can transfer your games over :D

BTW, Since I don’t know how the PC version of Borderlands works, does anyone know if I’m on “OnLive” and a friend has Borderlands via retail/Steam, will it let us play together?

Parham

Banned
Cloak said:
BTW, Since I don’t know how the PC version of Borderlands works, does anyone know if I’m on “OnLive” and a friend has Borderlands via retail/Steam, will it let us play together?

Yes, I believe so. Just to make sure, try out the thirty minute demo.

noah111

Still Alive
Where/how are people getting access to this? I signed up for the beta right when it was available.. I would love to try this as I have access to a decent connection on a shitty laptop.

Sentry said:
Where/how are people getting access to this? I signed up for the beta right when it was available.. I would love to try this as I have access to a decent connection on a shitty laptop.
Have you gone through the process of registering your username yet? They are activating accounts according to a waiting list of sorts and aren't just turning it on for everyone all at once. I think most of the people who are in already in registered their spot as part of the free year & game promotion. If you sign up now, you'll get the free year but not the free game. You may also have to wait a few days, maybe weeks, to get activated.

border said:
How do I claim my free game? I don't wanna accidentally end up buying something :p
In your activation email, you should have received a Promo Code. Go to the Marketplace while in OnLive, choose the game you want, and select Full Playpass. There should be a spot to enter the promo code. You should then see the price of whatever game you want discounted down to $0.

Parham

Banned
border said:
How do I claim my free game? I don't wanna accidentally end up buying something :p
They should have emailed you a coupon code after activating your account. When you receive your code, choose to buy a full PlayPass. From there, just type in your code and you will be good to go.

atomsk

Party Pooper
if i had Fios i'd be interested in this, but considering i already do about 100 gigs a month in bandwidth on average (between steam/consoles/internet video), i'm not about to tempt fate with the 250 gig cap comcast has in place

border

Ok, I got the promo code for the free game already -- I didn't bother reading the activation e-mail so I hadn't noticed it.

It's really a damned shame that EA seems to have pulled out of the whole venture. Right now it just feels like web store for Square-Eidos and Ubisoft. I was looking forward to trying out Crysis, but I suppose that'll never happen now :p

dLMN8R

The fact that this technology works at all is ridiculously impressive.

I'm not going to use it, and I can't imagine how they expect their business model to work, but as a proof of concept, it's pretty amazing so far.

19Kilo

I'm still waiting on an activation email. I got on the waiting list on the 15th. Those of you that got in already - when did you initially sign up?

expy

Banned
LovingSteam said:
Um no. You buy Halo Reach and you don't care about multiplayer so you don't buy Gold. Guess what, you can still play Halo Reach as often as you like for the duration of your consoles life and even then once your console dies you just buy a new one. Want to download Fable 3? No problem. Download it, play it even if you don't have Gold. You're not being forced to pay Microsoft a cent other than what the games cost. This isn't so with OnLive. You are being forced to pay for the games AND the service which means if you choose to not pay for the service in the future you lose access to the games.
But the game you buy, the same price you pay, a Gold member pays and can use 100% of the game content, while you, who have paid the same amount are limited to some content on the disc. So, in essence, even though you're not a gold subscriber, for every multiplayer game you buy from the XBOX 360 library, Microsoft still wins regardless you subscribe to gold or not.

Top Bottom