• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OnLive Launching June 17, $14.95 Per Month

demigod

LovingSteam said:
If you have a Mac/PC you don't need the hardware since you already have it. If you want to simply use your TV then you need the console.

Ohh I get what you're saying now. I was under the impression from everyone here that you *rent* the adapter(hardware to run OnLive) from them even on PC/Mac. Streaming from broadband with compressed data, yeah people this isn't going to look as good as a $500 gaming rig.

Honestly, I just cannot see this service being successful. The model for success will require enough people PAY for the service itself and then PAY to rent & purchase games. I just don't see it. I am sure that the partners of OnLive have already done all of the necessary research and surveys before going forward but I still just don't see it.

demigod said:
Ohh I get what you're saying now. I was under the impression from everyone here that you *rent* the adapter(hardware to run OnLive) from them even on PC/Mac. Streaming from broadband with compressed data, yeah people this isn't going to look as good as a $500 gaming rig.

Basically anything that has access to the web will not need the adapter (which is how it was running on the iPhone). Nevertheless if I were to use this service it certainly wouldn't be through my PC. It would be for my TV and I just cannot accept paying money to rent the adapter + the service + paying for games.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
So not sure this has been covered....but how hard is it to convert this service to work on 360/PS3?

I mean it would be cool to play PC games on your console I suppose ;P

Mr Pockets said:
So not sure this has been covered....but how hard is it to convert this service to work on 360/PS3?

I mean it would be cool to play PC games on your console I suppose ;P

Once it's out some one could possibly be able to rig some sort of media streaming for it from your pc to your console with bonus lag. You'd still need to use your pc kb/m or usb controlelr to play it in this theoretical situation, though

Slavik81

brain_stew said:
Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but Valve aren't an Onlive partner, nor will they ever be.
Oh, whatever. In principle it could be useful for that sort of thing even if their list doesn't include Valve games.

I would have presumed that they might get a deal somewhat like Valve's cybercafe system, but I suppose Valve might object if they think the services are competing.

Slavik81 said:
Oh, whatever. In principle it could be useful for that sort of thing even if their list doesn't include Valve games.

I would have presumed that they might get a deal somewhat like Valve's cybercafe system, but I suppose Valve might object if they think the services are competing.

Yea, they will never get Valve. When it comes to PC, Valve is more protective of their games than even Blizzard. Blizzard sells WoW through D2D. The ONLY ONLY ONLY place you will be able to buy Valve's games is through Steam. So those are two pubs on the PC that OnLive will not get; Blizzard and Valve.

So what happens if I buy a shit ton of games and then decide I don't want to pay for the service anymore? Games that I can't even use as paperweights?

Who the fuck is going to be stupid enough to use this service?

I'll take Steam kthxbai.

Fake edit: Aren't OnLive games max resolution 1280 x 720 as well?

MisterAnderson said:
So what happens if I buy a shit ton of games and then decide I don't want to pay for the service anymore? Games that I can't even use as paperweights?

Who the fuck is going to be stupid enough to use this service?

I'll take Steam kthxbai.

Fake edit: Aren't OnLive games max resolution 1280 x 720 as well?

Yes & Yes.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I can't wait to pay for nothing, and then pay even more for something to use on my nothing. I then can't wait to stop paying for my nothing, thereby cutting off my ability to use my something.

Slavik81

MisterAnderson said:
Pretty much. That's more or less the same reason why I hate buying subscription MMOs and renting games. When your stop paying your subscription, you don't have anything left to show for it.

That's probably also why they're saying that the games are going to be discounted to some extent. In actuality, you're getting something more like a long rental.

Slavik81 said:

This service is a direct competitor to Steam. Like all of Steam's direct competitors, it won't have access to Valve's catalogue. Also, no Blizzard games either.

UrbanRats

As already stated, it's crazy... and even if you manage to save 100$(comparing to a gaming rig)in one year, in one situation, you always got a nice PC that you can use for OTHER purpouses aside gaming, like PhotoShop, 3d, movies, music, whatever...a PC that you can eventually sell, trade, give away as a gift, sit on, whatever, a physical object.. in the other option, you pay almost the same amount for what? A virtual something that you DO NOT own and a list of games that you eventually will not be able to play in the future, that you will not be able to sell, trade etc etc.
And what if in, let's say, 3 years, the service bomb?All the games you bought are gone... an investment. :lol

Failure.

Slavik81 said:
More like an entire computer. Renting hard drive space for online backup is only about $5/month.

But for $5 you dont get this the uber cool stuff: gamer tag, friends, spectator viewing, free demos, and more!

satori

Lol I always thought this service was going to include console games as well. There goes my hopes of playing GOW3 on my long days at work on my lap top! ><

All honesty, No one will assume what Onlive can do or can't do until it transforms from theory to reality, right now all this is still speculations...well if the price 15/month is set that's fine, but again, it's hard to know how far that 15 bucks will take you.

there are lots of questions and things to take into consideration here

mostly being: the actually quality and performance of the games, sub-par graphics, resolution and specially lag and frame rate will make this unacceptable for me.

But if none of the above is an issue and the games run like they were running right off the latest expensive gaming rig...great! but it still does not end there, I have a 60GB cap on my internet per month, I'm sure lots of people have bandwidth Caps. So another question arises, how much bandwidth I am going to use playing say...10 hours a week?

what if that will totally blow my bandwidth cap through the roof?? Do I need to be forced to be conservative with my gaming time every month just so I don't use too much bandwidth?

I already worry about such things when I stream movies online along with downloading PSN content every week, and I also have the same juggling issue with my cell phone's data plan, I really don't want a third device to concern me about fluctuating/ increasing monthly internet bills.

Will now my internet bill be 50-60 bucks a month instead of 30? not considering the 15 I'm already paying for the Onlive service plus extra $$$ to "rent" games, taking all these in consideration: we are realistically looking at roughly 50-70 bucks a month just to have this service working for you nicely.

And above all that... I live in Canada, this thing probably will not come here for at least another year, who knows? Bottom line with this thing is... Waaaaaay too many questions and not nearly enough answers, lets just wait and see how this thing pans out...any guinea pig volunteers?:D

UrbanRats

satori said:
Lol I always thought this service was going to include console games as well. There goes my hopes of playing GOW3 on my long days at work on my lap top! ><
Onlive: it only does everything.

Swag

My room mate tried to convince me to get onto the pre registration for this, all I could do was :lol

How does anyone think this is a good idea?

The OP needs to be modified to add the Onlive Game Portal Information so people cannot be so up in arms about it. They do seem to go the Gametap\Xbox Live route with this with offering tiers of services. I think it's a smart idea.

I probably won't sign up for a subsciption. But atleast, I can stream demos for free instead of having to pay for a subscription just to do that. Also, having the ability to rent "select" games without having to subscribe is a smart idea as well so people can demo the service.

I do believe that they will gimp the service for non-subscribers such as the bandwidth. You'll probably be playing demos in 480p instead of 720p like subscribers or they will limit demos to certain times of the day.

It also would be smart for them to offer free rentals of older titles to get people to sign up. I like to hear their promotional offerings. I'm more interested now that they announced the Onlive Game Portal.

thehillissilent said:
The OP needs to be modified to add the Onlive Game Portal Information so people cannot be so up in arms about it. The do seem to go the Gametap\Xbox Live route with this with offering tiers of services. I think it's a smart idea.

I probably won't sign up for a subsciption. But atleast, I can stream demos for free instead of having to pay for a subscription just to do that. Also, having the ability to rent "select" games without having to subscribe is a smart idea as well so people can demo the service.

I do believe that they will gimp the service for non-subscribers such as the bandwidth. You'll probably be playing demos in 480p instead of 720p like subscribers or they will limit demos to certain times of the day.

It also would be smart for them to offer free rentals of older titles to get people to sign up. I like to hear their promotional offerings. I'm more interested now that they announced the Onlive Game Portal.

At the very least, there's now a way to rent PC games. That's cool in my book, its always nice to have an extra option.

ElFly

I am kinda hoping this is a moderate success, so next gen consoles include the replay feature as a standard.

brain_stew said:
At the very least, there's now a way to rent PC games. That's cool in my book, its always nice to have an extra option.

I agree. Being able to do that makes it worthwhile. I imagine that the rental prices will vary between $5-$7 dollars for 5-7 days. I think they will offer discounts for subscribers or even free rentals. This could in a way help the PC market because companies will be more apt to make PC ports of games. I do remember Onlive stating that they could convert Xbox360 and PS3 games with some effort.

Panda1

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
My room mate tried to convince me to get onto the pre registration for this, all I could do was :lol

How can anyone know without playing some games on it

brain_stew said:

This is really my main interest in the whole mess, it would make Gamefly go the way of the dinosaur. Having instant access to any rental game is HUGE IMO, and something that the console platform holders should look at.

The big question is selection, which I will assume is going to be pretty sparse for the first few months or so.

Sebulon3k said:

The pricing kind of sucks, but this is a pretty cool idea.

To see how it performs real world...that'll be fun. But some people are too harsh on this.

I'd rather stick to my Ps3 and buying/selling/renting games, but that's just me.

KittyKittyBangBang said:
This is really my main interest in the whole mess, it would make Gamefly go the way of the dinosaur. Having instant access to any rental game is HUGE IMO, and something that the console platform holders should look at.

The big question is selection, which I will assume is going to be pretty sparse for the first few months or so.

Depending on the selection of games from the Onlive Portal versus the full services, this could compete with Gamefly. I imagine they might hold back some games from being available on the Portal similar to how Xbox Silver\Gold does with demos. If the rental prices are reasonable ($5-7 for a week) for the Onlive portal, you could probably rent twice as many games as you would have gotten though gamefly assuming you pay about $25 or so for two at a time and considering Gamefly's turnaround time, which for me was 8 days.

I still don't understand how they could possibly afford to run this thing with hundreds of thousands (maybe millions) of concurrent users. I'm guessing they have a bunch of big beefy servers that can handle several games at once, but I can't imagine how expensive a system is that can handle many multiple instances of Crysis.

I realize not everyone will be playing the latest and greatest games. Maybe I'm missing something here.

CrayzeeCarl said:
I still don't understand how they could possibly afford to run this thing with hundreds of thousands (maybe millions) of concurrent users. I'm guessing they have a bunch of big beefy servers that can handle several games at once, but I can't imagine how expensive a system is that can handle many multiple instances of Crysis.

I realize not everyone will be playing the latest and greatest games. Maybe I'm missing something here.

They are using virtualization so they can run multiple games on one server.

EDIT: Also they are renting these servers, so it cheaper than outright buying them. I assume that they have written virtualization software to have mutliple game instances running in a single graphics card. They probably have multiple graphics cards per server anyway.

thehillissilent said:
They are using virtualization so they can run multiple games on one server.

EDIT: Also they are renting these servers, so it cheaper than outright buying them. I assume that they have written virtualization software to have mutliple game instances running in a single graphics card. They probably have multiple graphics cards per server anyway.
Yeah, I assumed they were using virtualization, but virtualization isn't some magic thing that doesn't use any resources, it still runs on the same hardware. I guess renting the servers makes sense.

It seems that Onlive has direct/indirect competiton from Gaikai and InstantAction.

Gaikai doesn't use a portal and it's funded by publishers. For instance, you are on facebook and see a banner "Play Assaains Creed now", you click on it and you are instantly playing the game. You can opt to buy it to keep playing the streaming version or buy the download version. It basically helps publishers advertise their game by making it more accessible to people. They are not trying to replace consoles unlike Onlive.
Gaikai has teamed up with InstantAction.com to get games on Facebook.

Here are the articles:

Gaikai and InstantAction team up for streaming, embeddable games

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/11/gaikai-and-instantaction-team-up-for-streaming-embeddable-games/

If InstantAction.com's CEO Lou Castle is to be believed, we're apparently going to be playing games pretty much wherever we want in the not-so-distant future. He's just revealed plans (via IndustryGamers) to relaunch his site with a new business/distribution model and a partnership with game streaming service Gaikai. In addition to the already existing model of a quick download (a claimed 4 - 5 minutes) that still somewhat relies on your computer power to process the game's graphics, IA will now offer a streaming option for those who'd prefer a quicker, less hardware reliant gaming experience. "It's the perfect implementation of a thin client solution because when it's available it's brilliant and when it's not available it's ok ... you only have to wait a couple minutes."

The aforementioned streaming option (employing Gaikai) will also be embedabble on the web, as demonstrated with Assassin's Creed (not to mention to us earlier today) "Now if people are reading a review of a game, they don't have to go find it ... they can play it right then and there in the browser."

And that's just the beginning -- Castle clearly has an eye on digital distribution services when he talks about employing Facebook as "InstantAction's Xbox Live." IA's new distribution model essentially promises to developers/publishers the ability to release games with a variety of payment methods (pay as you go, free-to-play, one-time charge, etc.) while incorporating the aforementioned embed and streaming functionalities.

So far, the company has inked one deal for distribution (with LucasArts for The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition) and Castle claims to be pursuing others right now. And apparently it won't be too long before we get to check out the new system ourselves, as the revamped digital platform is said to be "launching soon."

Gaikai will be fee-free, utilize 300 data centers in the US

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/11/gaikai-will-be-fee-free-utilize-300-data-centers-in-the-us/

Meeting with Gaikai's founding fathers -- ( from left to right) Rui Pereira, Andrew Gault and David Perry -- this morning, we chatted about the company's unique take on "cloud gaming," particularly how, unlike competitor OnLive, there will be no fee to play streaming games using its servers and in-browser app, and what it's doing to "reduce friction" in trying (and eventually buying) games online.

Saying that Gaikai "isn't trying to be PlayStation 4 or take out the next Wii," Perry described (and demoed) the concept of embedding instantly playable games on any website. A publisher can, for instance, have a clickable pop-up appear when people are looking at one of its games on Amazon, which quickly launches an overlay window running the full game, with whatever time limit the publisher chooses. After this period, players can opt to buy the game for unlimited streaming, download it, or have a physical copy shipped to them.

What intrigued us more is the ability to Tweet from within these demos, and, if you're playing a multiplayer title, anyone who clicks the link sent to your Twitter feed will be launched into your game. We also got a look at a widget that places a small video of any game you're currently playing via Gaikai on your personal blog, which friends can click to either try the game or actually join the session you're in, if applicable. This demo used Mario Kart 64, in which it was possible for Gaikai staff to drop in as player two, three or four fairly easily.

Perry also revealed to us that Gaikai has secured servers at 300 data centers across the US (as opposed to OnLive's five), in addition to inking deals with local broadband providers to install servers at another 900 peering locations -- all with the goal of keeping latency as low as possible. The ideas we saw in action have the potential to shake up the traditional game demo model, for sure. What do you think of what Gaikai's cooking up?

15 bucks per month AND a fee for buying the game - then when you discontinue the service... you lose everything you bought?

Maybe my enfeebled mind can't process this information properly but I think a service like this is a sinking ship even before it launches.

Who in their right minds would fall for such antics? Monthly fee + fee for buying games you can never really keep anyhow != good deal.

luoapp

Ninja-Matic said:
Who in their right minds would fall for such antics? Monthly fee + fee for buying games you can never really keep anyhow != good deal.

It will make much more sense if they partner with steam.

Brannon

vireland said:
Heh, thanks for the advice.

Here's a clue from me. It takes 30 seconds to set up a deal alert at a site like slickdeals (CAG has alerts, too). Put in a few keywords and it emails you when a matching deal is posted. If the price isn't what you want, delete the email and wait for the next one. Buy when you get sent a deal that hits your threshhold. Cumulative time spent screening if your keywords don't give too many false posiitives: probably about 10 minutes a year. Savings off retail? Usually about $22/card for me, sometimes more.

NOOO YOU GAVE AWAY THE SECRET YOU BASTARD!@!!#%^

KittyKittyBangBang said:

woah now postal rental services are at their all time high right now, onlive is not going to stop it anytime soon, not even for a few years yet.

Also while I can make a gaming pc for £400 then buy games over steam or d2d in weekly sales, onlive is expensive for what it is.

Ninja-Matic said:
15 bucks per month AND a fee for buying the game - then when you discontinue the service... you lose everything you bought?

Maybe my enfeebled mind can't process this information properly but I think a service like this is a sinking ship even before it launches.

It's like a deathtrap. Stop the subscription and lose all well not your games since you never owned them, but you did bought them.

thehillissilent said:
To let you guys know, I'm currently participating in the beta. Unfortunately, I can't really share anything due to NDA:(

You don't need to say anything as the frown face says it all. Obviously not a very fun experience.

I <3 Memes said:
You don't need to say anything as the frown face says it all. Obviously not a very fun experience.

I wouldn't say that. I actually like the service :) I put the frown because I can't speak about it. All I can say is that it works.

thehillissilent said:
I wouldn't say that. I actually like the service :) I put the frown because I can't speak about it. All I can say is that it works.
One thing I would like to ask, are you trying out onlive over an old pc/laptop or do you have a gaming pc?

Diablohead said:
One thing I would like to ask, are you trying out onlive over an old pc/laptop or do you have a gaming pc?

EDIT: Laptop with crappy Intel on-board graphics. I removed the rest of my comment for fear of breaking NDA.

thehillissilent said:

Yeah I got that. I was just trying to back you into a corner. :D

Top Bottom