• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OOTP Baseball 17 officially available - NeoGAF League Details

I love football manager, I'm erythromycin tempted by this as it seems very similar in style to football manager, but being English I know very little about baseball bar the basics, how hard is the game to come to grips with for a baseball noob.

I love football manager, I'm erythromycin tempted by this as it seems very similar in style to football manager, but being English I know very little about baseball bar the basics, how hard is the game to come to grips with for a baseball noob.

If you love football manager, well, the principles of quant analysis in building a roster and dealing with contracts and budgets aren't all that different. Obviously, there are different statistics to measure and positions players play.

The only part that took me (a lifetime baseball fan) to figure out were things like the Rule 5 draft, the international draft, those kinds of things. But the game does a nice job of laying out when those things come up and what you need to do. The AI can also manage a bunch of these things if you're uncertain.

I mean, there's probably no better way to learn the game. And if you're at all a stathead you'll absolutely love baseball.

Don't like losing a Carson start, but I'll take a 1-1 sim. Vargas is hitting .500 against me. He's really changed since he was on my team. He put up his best OPS but was a butcher in the field at 3B so his WAR is way down. He was a decent SS for me defensively and his ratings say he'd be great at 3B. I'm glad he opted out, that contract would have been painful.

If anyone is in need of a catcher this off-season, Okey can be had for peanuts. I think he's good but Chavez had one hell of a rookie year and I've got plenty of solid back-up catchers.

Sim: 3 Days - Date: Oct 24, 2025 - Notes:
Just kidding the CPU took over and we are all dead, please be ready to switch to OOTP18. Nationals won the WS.

I will be unbanned on the 13th. Will upload the OOTP 18 file tomorrow.
I will refresh team list in that update as well. Adding eznark back and removing managers that haven't export in over a month of real time.

From the commish. He's not sure why people are seeing errors in OOTP 17 as nothing has been done in OOTP 18 yet.

Hey guys,

I hate to drop the league, but my life circumstances are not going to permit me to continue in the way that I would want, and I don't want to half-arse it. I know you can get by with 15-minutes a day, but it was never that for me, and I don't want to feel like I'm not giving my full attention to my team.

I've had a great time, and I would love to continue, but without going in to detail, there's just too much going on for me right now, unfortunately. I hope someone can pick up the Twins. I would hate to think of the cpu making a giant mess of things, but I'll have to put that out of my mind.

Good luck to all the human players. It has really been a pleasure playing this fantastic game with you all.

I think we are on OOTP 18 now. I imported my OOTP17 save into OOTP18 and am currently downloading the league file. So far everything has gone smoothly.

Edit: Successfully updated.

Yeah I have a ton of players who had no potential that have some now. Many of them were guys who had good seasons so I can see it. I also have a ton of guys that are now major league ready so that's interesting.

Hey guys,

I hate to drop the league, but my life circumstances are not going to permit me to continue in the way that I would want, and I don't want to half-arse it. I know you can get by with 15-minutes a day, but it was never that for me, and I don't want to feel like I'm not giving my full attention to my team.

I've had a great time, and I would love to continue, but without going in to detail, there's just too much going on for me right now, unfortunately. I hope someone can pick up the Twins. I would hate to think of the cpu making a giant mess of things, but I'll have to put that out of my mind.

Good luck to all the human players. It has really been a pleasure playing this fantastic game with you all.
I'll basically echo all these sentiments too. I have a lot going on right now and I will be especially busy until mid-September.

I wish all of you the best, it's been a great ride. I'll be keeping an eye on how the Cardinals do over time.

Sorry to see you guys go, Minny and STL. Feel free to come back if things change.

I got the league updated to 18. Not too thrilled with how my minors are looking, but honestly that's probably a result of all the rookies I got promoted more so than my ratings changing. My scout thinks my CF Dave Sheppard is a stud already. If he reaches his potential I can see it, he did great for me last year as a rookie making the jump from A ball when injuries wrecked my OF. Amazing defense in CF. I think he's pushed 2 time gold glove CF Jacob Allred to RF permanently.

I'm in the market for a 2B if anyone has any options. I could go after one in FA, but I figure I'd see what else is out there. I could go with Angeli again next year but I think I'd rather have him as my back-up middle infielder. I really wish SS Dan Padilla could play there, but I'm sure he'd butcher it and his bat isn't good enough to make up for it. He's got good pop for a SS.

Farewell fantastic owners. You did your franchises proud. It's been a pleasure.

Welcome back EZ! Hope we get some new owners as well.

Shelby Miller finally retired.

GOAT

A's manager Bob Melvin also retired. 1,821 wins, 13 playoff appearances and of course the 1 WS title. Enjoy the golf Bob!

Steve Scarsone gets his shot to manage the big league club. Let's do this Stevie.

brentech

Alright, I'm back from the dead here. Will create a new thread. With the loss of some long time GMS, we need to have a serious discussion about refreshing the league though.
I can't imagine there are a lot of people that want to jump into a league that is 10 years down the road.

Hate to see you guys go, but, do what ya gotta do.

Alright, I'm back from the dead here. Will create a new thread. With the loss of some long time GMS, we need to have a serious discussion about refreshing the league though.
I can't imagine there are a lot of people that want to jump into a league that is 10 years down the road.

Hate to see you guys go, but, do what ya gotta do.

I'd be fine with whatever decision we come to. In some ways I'd be sad to lose a team that just won 101 games with two young studs on it, but on the other hand I have a much better what I'm doing at this point so I might be able to avoid some bad financial mistakes if we start over.

Also, welcome back.

I love my team, but if rebooting gets us more human owners I'd be down with the idea. Would also not mind switching teams to mix things up.

Rommel

I'm good either way but if we do reboot I'd like the info to solo run our current league. Too much invested in some players to not see how it turns out :D

brentech

I'm good either way but if we do reboot I'd like the info to solo run our current league. Too much invested in some players to not see how it turns out :D

If we decide to start new, I will make everyone commissioner, remove online details so no one can accidentally write over the real league, and upload the league file from OOTP18.

For time time being, I want to hear more opinions and know if anyone else is leaving. In the meantime, I'm working on a new thread, but it won't be posted until we have direction picked out.

Ron Mexico

Been several years since I played online in OOTP but I'd be interested in giving it a go. Slightly in favor of starting fresh but could do either way.

Also, since finding 30 owners is likely a tough call, could even do something like a smaller/fictional league with real players. Or even really do something bizarre like the random debut stuff and have all eras mixing in.

Regardless, count me in for whatever.

Pyrogeek

As an upcoming new (returning) GM, I would prefer to keep the current league as opposed to reboot as it already as it's own history and identity.

I would rather keep the current league but I don't know how many people we'll have. It's probably going to be hard to fill spots this far into it too. I'm down for whatever we decide.

While I'm looking forward to digging my team out of the '62 Mets-like morass they're in, I'm down for whatever happens. I might want a different team in the event of a reboot - I have no particular affinity for the Astros (other than their '94-'99 uniforms.)

I'm fine with a refresh. Love my current squad but I'm fine with them living on offline. Might be fun to pick new teams but I have a weird attachment to the Orioles now.

If we're taking a vote I'd say start over and to get new blood

brentech

Whatever: 9
Definite restart: 1
Hard no: 0?

I'm in the whatever category
League will stick with the standard MLB set up, regardless. We're not trying to reinvent the wheel. I do my odd multi generation stuff in my own offline leagues.

Well hell, put me down for restart then. 10 years is a real good run, and we are getting to the point where the guys we're drafting are like 7 years old right now, so we can't even be kinda creepy talking about high school kids like David Bedgood anymore.

Plus, real interesting social experiment to see if existing owners try to get guys like Bedgood in the hopes that the performance would mirror in a refreshed league?

I'll take the Padres if we go this route.

I feel like I'd have to stay in the AL. Having a DH slot makes building a lineup so much easier, even though I'm a diehard Cubs fan and generally don't like the DH rule.

brentech

We have a majority to just start this fresh, give it a week to bring in new players. Will keep the first 10 years of OOTP16-17 history in the log.

I have a OOTP 18 thread basically ready to go, but I would like to get teams down now for the most part.

Code:
Current GMs - Open teams are first come first serve.

AL East

Yankees – **OPEN**
Orioles – Dr_LawyerCop
Blue Jays – chairon
Red Sox – **OPEN**
Rays – darkside31337

AL Central

Tigers – Got the Shakes
White Sox – **OPEN**
Twins – **OPEN**
Royals – **OPEN**
Indians – brentech

AL West

A's – **OPEN**
Angels – **OPEN**
Rangers – **OPEN**
Mariners – Purple Cheeto
Astros – acheron_xl

NL East

Mets – Dmncnby2k9
Braves – CrimsonCommie
Marlins – ph33nix
Nationals – **OPEN**
Phillies – **OPEN**

NL Central

Cubs – **OPEN**
Reds – **OPEN**
Cardinals – **OPEN**
Brewers – eznark
Pirates – **OPEN**

NL West

Giants – **OPEN**
Dodgers – timetokill
Rockies – **OPEN**
Padres – CosmicQueso
DiamondBacks – Rommel

There is probably at least one person on this list that is gone without me knowing it, but update me if you change teams.

I'm totally down for a refresh, especially now that I understand the game better.

More humans = more fun, and the commissioner changes you mentioned sound like they'd improve things too.

Top Bottom