• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone with insights on OOTP Baseball games?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Steam has last year's OOTP game on sale for about $5. I know it's a text based sim. But any insights on:

- I'm only concerned with playing it for solo play. Not against other people
- Good/bad
- Sim stat quality (pretty good or really wacky)
- Bugginess/crashing
- Does it take a long time to sim AI controlled games
- Does the CPU cheat?
- Are fictional leagues and players good? Blue Jays are a shit team with no name players. I might try out a fake league for fun
- Game has hardcore stats and settings. Any tips on what to turn off because those settings are shit to use?

Last edited:
I run an online league and have done a lot of game mechanics testing and minmaxing.

- Your loss, to be honest.
- It's a good game but shallow on singleplayer, hate to say it. AI is easily exploitable.
- The longer you sim, the more chances for the "wacky" to occur as wacky is just different. Statistically anomalies do exist in reality. But they are glaring when you play a simulation.
- Very stable, minimal to zero bugs/crashes.
- No, you can sim games with the click of a button and sim from Opening Day to the Allstar game in probably 5-10 minutes depending on your hardware.
- Define cheat.
- Define good.

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I create fictional historical leagues so not too fussed about realism. My expert opinion is its a lot of fun until your team goes into a slump.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
It's definitely worth $5 if you like baseball at all. At this price you should buy copies for friends too.

That's a good deal for the closest American sport equivalent to Football Manager.

You'll need to either automate some things (especially minor league/amateur related) or put in the full grind, subject to your playstyle.

ToadMan

I enjoyed it and I spent most of my time single player with it in past years. It’s a good game to take travelling on laptop or play in a coffee shop or something.

The online mode is a “fire and forget” system - set a team, put it in a league and wait for the game to sim, so it’s not a live mulitplayer anyway. More like fantasy baseball.

It’s not a particularly difficult game - trades can be a bit finicky to get the AI to agree. I end up sometimes just clicking round and round the options trying to hit the minimum cost trade.

But yeah it’s a fun game, it plays quickly - you can sim a season very quickly, but assuming you want to actually deal with roster issues, injuries, trades and contracts then you’ll probably take an hour or two to complete a season depending on how much time you spend thinking.

It does get a bit samey down the stretch though - set your lineup, sim games, look for trades, deal with some fairly inconsequential email communication. It lacks a feeling of a living breathing league and once you get things running the way you like the seasons roll by without feeling like you’re really engaged. Especially as you get further into the future and the real name players start to disappear from your game - the players don’t have personality.

So yeah it’s good if you like baseball and the management of the rules around a team - $5 will probably net you a good few hours of entertainment and if you enjoy the game tens of hours.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Thanks guys. Bought it for a whopping $5.76 on Steam deal.

Didn't know you could create your own logo. I might do a pure fictitious league. Some people online says going this route it might be better to do a condensed 12-16 team league to make things more familiar as you go instead of a giant 30 team league.

Buh bye Blue Jays.

Might be Toronto Titans, Thunder, or the good 'ol Al Bundy...... Thunder Rods

Top Bottom