• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OpenCritic wants to take a stand against loot boxes

Raw64life

The more the merrier. This shit should preferably go away altogether, but at the very least should be heavily regulated. The more attention this gets the better.

Lol. There is a market for high end graphics and experiences. That's why Assassin"s Creed, CoD, Battlefield, Star Wars etc also exist. Just because you have a handful of games that dont have it doesn't change that there are a handful of games that do and those are the ones with tons of MTs.

There are less games with high end graphics than without on the market.

"Taking a stand" seems a tad antagonistic, but the idea behind it is good. If they want OpenCritic to be used to make informed purchase decisions, then listing such information makes perfect sense. I know I can't keep up with with all this stuff, so I welcome having a place that conveniently collects it for me.

ironmang

Here's an idea: make loot boxes that don't give you random stuff but you know exactly what you're going to get when buying it and that you will always get them 100% at the time.

So people are allowed to buy and choose, instead of being subjected into predatory gambling-like mechanics.

Many people like to gamble, like it or not. They like the idea of turning $2 or whatever into a $100++ skin. I'm not totally against letting people pick their cosmetic DLC like when it comes to a game like Street Fighter since you ideally want costumes for characters you use but I can see why the gambling version is preferred in some games. And anyways if you want a particular skin on steam you can just buy it via the marketplace.

These seem like pretty specific, albeit positive, situations though, not every game, especially on consoles are like this, and not everyone wants to participate in the cosmetic marketplace at all.

Is there a game where cosmetic marketplace is forced on you? Like, you can't progress unless you buy and open a loot box?

@bold: examples? ctw0e gave a lot of examples where basically everyone benefits. I don't see a lot of counter examples of games negatively impacted by cosmetic dlc.

Many people like to gamble, like it or not. They like the idea of turning $2 or whatever into a $100++ skin. I'm not totally against letting people pick their cosmetic DLC like when it comes to a game like Street Fighter since you ideally want costumes for characters you use but I can see why the gambling version is preferred in some games. And anyways if you want a particular skin on steam you can just buy it via the marketplace.

Is there a game where cosmetic marketplace is forced on you? Like, you can't progress unless you buy and open a loot box?

@bold: examples? ctw0e gave a lot of examples where basically everyone benefits. I don't see a lot of counter examples of games negatively impacted by cosmetic dlc.
No I didn't say forced, I only said it was bad cosmetics used to be free and now they're not. The examples of negative affects applied more to loot boxes and micro transactions.

ironmang

No I didn't say forced, I only said it was bad cosmetics used to be free and now they're not. The examples of negative affects applied more to loot boxes and micro transactions.

There are still free cosmetic unlockables. The Last Guardian is a recent example. I also gave an example of a game that didn't have free cosmetics before but has paid cosmetics now. I don't think I've seen you name even 1 game lol.

There are still free cosmetic unlockables. The Last Guardian is a recent example. I also gave an example of a game that didn't have free cosmetics before but has paid cosmetics now. I don't think I've seen you name even 1 game lol.
I didn't know that was actually a point of contention. What are you saying? That the situation and amount of free cosmetics shipped with games haven't changed?

ironmang

I didn't know that was actually a point of contention. What are you saying? That the situation and amount of free cosmetics shipped with games haven't changed?

@bold: You said cosmetics were free and now they are not to which I gave TLG as an example of a game with free cosmetics and CSGO as an example of a game that didn't have free cosmetics but now has paid cosmetics. You've still never given a single example of how cosmetic DLC has negatively impacted your experience in this hobby.

Regardless on where you stand on loot box/microtransaction in games (they're not really a complete deal breaker for me, but makes me less inclined to buy them), having more info on this sort of stuff is a good thing. Not sure why people are arguing against it.

Info is good. But MT's aren't going to stop me from purchasing a game I'm interested in. Regulation also is unlikely since there is no way to separate mobile from console games or free to play vs. full priced games when regulating. Free to play games would likely die under these regulations.

@bold: You said cosmetics were free and now they are not to which I gave TLG as an example of a game with free cosmetics and CSGO as an example of a game that didn't have free cosmetics but now has paid cosmetics. You've still never given a single example of how cosmetic DLC has negatively impacted your experience in this hobby.
I didn't like when Batman Arkham games had several paid and/or exclusive DLC costumes.

delta_reg

Good, good, good. More information spread to consumers so at least there's more understanding of the product they might be interested in.

Info is good. But MT's aren't going to stop me from purchasing a game I'm interested in. Regulation also is unlikely since there is no way to separate mobile from console games or free to play vs. full priced games when regulating. Free to play games would likely die under these regulations.

You can have MTs without hiding them behind lootcrates and other gambling mechanics.

IISANDERII

It's amusing to look back to 2006, when we had this exact same scenario when DLC was becoming a thing. Bethesda didn't conceive the concept of DLC with Oblivion, but they sure made it mainstream and a lot of people went full anti-DLC because of how bad it was. The thing is -- just like then -- it's just one bad apple. It turned out DLC is a great concept and allows developers to expand on their beloved games.

But it's pretty simple, I justify loot-boxes whenever they favor me as a consumer and I can do that without having any particular feelings for a company. They're perfect for a game I'm continuously investing my time in, without splitting the user-base or giving a certain user-base more attention than others, or affecting the gameplay in a meaningful way.

That said - I won't defend them in the case of Forza or Shadow of War because I don't see how those games needs to be a service (in the same way CSGO or Path of Exile is a service), first and foremost. I mean, both of them will be dead within a year and one of them is a single-player campaign. What am I paying for exactly? Will they add new content for free? Doubt it. They have a potential of being beneficial, but they haven't really convinced me of how. I haven't played them yet though, so I don't know how much they affect the actual game.
I still default to not trusting DLC and very often people feel burned by them, especially when they’re with season passes. Many games like Destiny were really barebones without their expansion, indicating that content was stripped in order to sell back to player.
Etc.

Top Bottom