• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orange Box - Portal (Likely Portal 2 too) - Fans Unlock 4K/60 FPS on Series X - 1440/60 on Series S

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
In yet another case of fans/modders doing something that should be officially sanctioned. Modders have found a way to make all the Source Engine X360 games run at 60 FPS, they do not support FPS boost on the system levle.

Orange Box, Portal and Portal 2 already support resolution boosts (2160p for SX and 1440p for SS) but this convoluted method lets the game unlock to 60 FPS and from the sounds of it, it's essentially a locked performance.

Note: Requires access to an Xbox 360. Not possible just via the modern consoles.

Time stamped.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Left 4 Dead need to get a remaster for consoles.

The method in the video is for modifying cfg files on source engine games, so it'll likely work on the X360 ports of Left for Dead 1 and 2 too.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I feel like Valve is leaving money on the table not porting l4d2 to consoles. Game still gets 10s of thousands of players a day on Steam and all the copycat games are dead.

Kilau

Might be fun to mess with, I still have my 360 hooked up and I own the games, just need to figure out what horizon is and how it works.

The Orange Box is probably one of my favorite collections on the PS360 so this is great news. I would pay €100 for a modern re-release. :D

Last edited:

intbal

Yeah but I doubt those consoles get anywhere near a consistent 60.
I haven't tried on my One S yet, but One X maintains 60fps for about the first third of the game. I didn't see it drop below 59fps until there was a valve that needed to be turned with sparks coming off of it during the canal scenes. After that, a few spots of heavy combat sent it below 40fps, but only momentarily. The performance is very good. And it receives those enhanced LOD settings, too. All while running at 4K.

I bet One S would lock to 60fps, since it's only running the game at 720p. Although you might need to adjust the mod code to remove the LOD adjustments.

Edit:
Clarification - I only played the base game. As they mentioned in the DF video, Episode 2 would likely have more performance issues.

Last edited:

shaddam

Really interesting.... HOWEVER
Om8FraP.jpg

intbal

I finally got this working on the One S. The console wouldn't sync to the cloud all day.

The performance is 60fps as long as you're just traveling or shooting at two or three enemies. Any large scripted events or combat with 8+ enemies will drop it in the 40-50fps range. Probably well below that deeper into the game.

This spot early in the game...
0xDWolj.png

...will cause the framerate to hover in the low 40s. Unless you look straight up at the sky or dive underneath the surface, at which point it will go back up to near 60.

Also, the loading screens are static, except for the orange progress bar
KLLXQQE.png

But right in the middle of the load, the frame rate plummets to 40 or lower. Every time. CPU loading in new data, I suppose.

I kept the "enhanced" settings from the mod code. I don't know if deleting all of that would have yielded better performance, but it runs great as it is, provided you're playing on a VRR display (which I always do).

Now I need to go looking for other compatible X360 games that have configuration files with known variables to modify.

RedC

I finally got this working on the One S. The console wouldn't sync to the cloud all day.

The performance is 60fps as long as you're just traveling or shooting at two or three enemies. Any large scripted events or combat with 8+ enemies will drop it in the 40-50fps range. Probably well below that deeper into the game.

This spot early in the game...
0xDWolj.png

...will cause the framerate to hover in the low 40s. Unless you look straight up at the sky or dive underneath the surface, at which point it will go back up to near 60.

Also, the loading screens are static, except for the orange progress bar
KLLXQQE.png

But right in the middle of the load, the frame rate plummets to 40 or lower. Every time. CPU loading in new data, I suppose.

I kept the "enhanced" settings from the mod code. I don't know if deleting all of that would have yielded better performance, but it runs great as it is, provided you're playing on a VRR display (which I always do).

Now I need to go looking for other compatible X360 games that have configuration files with known variables to modify.
I saw somebody in the comments on ReveriePass's video, say they tried it on Portal Still Alive and Portal 2.

It worked on Portal Still Alive.

It did not work on Portal 2.

Last edited:

intbal

I saw somebody in the comments on ReveriePass's video, say they tried it on Portal Still Alive and Portal 2.

It worked on Portal Still Alive.

It did not work on Portal 2.
Yeah, Portal is included in the Orange Box, and all of those work.
Alex thinks UE games might work if any of them include an .ini file.
You'd have to know the engine configuration settings and syntax. That's unlikely except for middleware like Source, Unreal, id Tech, etc.

RedC

Yeah, Portal is included in the Orange Box, and all of those work.
Alex thinks UE games might work if any of them include an .ini file.
You'd have to know the engine configuration settings and syntax. That's unlikely except for middleware like Source, Unreal, id Tech, etc.
Didn't realize Portal Still Alive was the original game with bonus levels

intbal

Didn't realize Portal Still Alive was the original game with bonus levels
It's the same code as what's in the Orange Box, so it was pretty much guaranteed to work.
But the graphics are reduced because it was an XBLA download (MS enforced file size restriction).

RedC

It's the same code as what's in the Orange Box, so it was pretty much guaranteed to work.
But the graphics are reduced because it was an XBLA download (MS enforced file size restriction).
All this time I owned it and never played it, but I guess it didn't matter since I played and beat the better version of Portal in the Orange Box. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

intbal

I removed the graphical tweaks (keeping only the FPS unlock) from the mod and tested on One S again.
There was no change at all. The game is entirely CPU limited on One S. It is, after all, running at only 50-60% of standard Xbox One resolution, with no AA or other post-processing.
If DF ever puts out Tom's video on this, I hope they include the unlocked numbers from the 360. I bet it's roughly the same as what can be achieved on Xbox One, proving just how nightmarishly awful those Jaguar cores really were.

intbal

I tried this on my 360.
The performance in combat is erratic, but long stretches of the game do stay at 60fps.
It would definitely be my preferred way of playing, rather than a 30fps lock.
Valve should have provided an "uncap" option with the game. A slight change in settings might have kept this game in the 50-60hz range for the duration.

Top Bottom