• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Original version of Doom 3 can no longer be individually purchased on Steam

Without trying to devolve into a circlejerk, they're completely different games. Like, you have to physically push your eyeballs back into your skull after seeing modded Doom 3 shots.

Oh absolutely, OG D3 with sikkmod+wulfen+monoxead and POM active, it's really something to behold. Some of the screen shots out there are insane. I wish my steam screen shots saved from last night, for whatever reason they didn't, but needless to say, it really is one of the better looking games ever released. To this day.

antitrop

Ok stillnit makes no sense from a store front to have both versions. If you own OG D3 sweet.
What makes no sense is for Doom 3: BFG to exist on PC in the first place. They can co-exist peacefully and everyone can safely ignore BFG and buy OG Doom 3 (which is the correct decision), but to remove Doom 3 and try to pass off this inferior BS BFG version as the "true" Doom 3 is well... bullshit.

From now on, whenever someone goes to buy Doom 3 on Steam, they will be getting Doom 3: BFG and they will be getting ripped off. I don't support that.

Ok stillnit makes no sense from a store front to have both versions. If you own OG D3 sweet.

Doom 1, Doom 2, Doom 3, and Doom 3 Resurrection of evil could have just been sold as a bundle on steam and the "new levels" could have been released as a Dlc pack for like 10 bucks or whatever. They took down a complete product, and subbed in a piece of shit in it's place.

NBtoaster

Absence of flashlight shadows and mod support (soon to be changed) while adding in new content, widescreen, visuals and better balance does not make BFG edition "a piece of shit".

antitrop

Doom 1, Doom 2, Doom 3, and Doom 3 Resurrection of evil could have just been sold as a bundle on steam and the "new levels" could have been released as a Dlc pack for like 10 bucks or whatever. They took down a complete product, and subbed in a piece of shit in it's place.
This is exactly it.

Doom 3: BFG is meant for consoles, and never should have even been bothered with on PCs. But to go as far as removing the original to replace it with this schlock is unacceptable.

Absence of flashlight shadows and mod support (soon to be changed) while adding in new content, widescreen, visuals and better balance does not make BFG edition "a piece of shit".

Nah, don't worry, man. It's totally a piece of shit. New content is whatever, and everything else is already possible with already existing mods for the original. Also Doom 3: BFG's visuals are not better than Doom 3's. If you custom res Doom 3 to 1920x1080 and put it at Ultra and compare it to Doom 3: BFG at Ultra 1080p, Doom 3 still looks better.

Grief.exe

What makes no sense is for Doom 3: BFG to exist on PC in the first place. They can co-exist peacefully and everyone can safely ignore BFG and buy OG Doom 3 (which is the correct decision), but to remove Doom 3 and try to pass off this inferior BS BFG version as the "true" Doom 3 is well... bullshit.

From now on, whenever someone goes to buy Doom 3 on Steam, they will be getting Doom 3: BFG and they will be getting ripped off. I don't support that.

Yes, shouldn't we be able to make that decision on our own? Instead of it being forced on us?

Kind of sets a dangerous precedent, I know this is a slippery slope argument here, but this could get worse. They are essentially removing a product on the Steam store to try to sell us a blatantly inferior one. I mean they might as well be removing Doom 3 from the store, they are burying it in an expensive pack.

They are basically encouraging piracy with this move.

Whats crazy is both Doom 3 original and BFG edition aren't even in the top 100 concurrent games on Steam.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Widescreen has been in Doom 3 for a long ass time. It just takes about 30 seconds to turn it on.

commissar

Isn't Doom 3 an open source title now? I'm not the most technical person, but surely you could just download that from github or wherever, compile and play?

Anyway, i'm so glad I managed to bag it on Steam before this crap happened (I can still download it right, even if it's not available to buy?). I can't live without Sikkmod and Wulfen textures..

Actually Zenimax gave the go ahead for the BFG source release (minus some bink/360/ps3/steam code.
So the wulfen/monoxead textures should only need to be repackaged into .resource files once the code is out, and we'll end up with a better base engine :)

sikkmod is a different beast, but it depends on how different the BFG code is. Hopefully there's an updated sikkmod.

But yeah, fingers crossed for other people that D3& RoE get quietly re-added after Christmas or something, but it's still bullshit.

Actually Zenimax gave the go ahead for the BFG source release (minus some bink/360/ps3/steam code.
So the wulfen/monoxead textures should only need to be repackaged into .resource files once the code is out, and we'll end up with a better base engine :)

sikkmod is a different beast, but it depends on how different the BFG code is. Hopefully there's an updated sikkmod.

Hopefully D3& RoE will be quietly re-added after Christmas or something, but it's still bullshit.

One thing that interests me about the BFG edition is the new higher resolution HUD - with the source code, could modders in theory port that back into the OG Doom 3?

Grief.exe

But yeah, fingers crossed for other people that D3& RoE get quietly re-added after Christmas or something, but it's still bullshit.

Modtools probably aren't a priority, especially with the game selling pretty poorly on PC so far. Just using pure anecdotal evidence for this assumption such as struggled to get in the top 10 best sellers and is out of it currently, and not in the top 100 games played.

Even if they were a priority, mod tools can take a while to release sometimes.

One thing that interests me about the BFG edition is the new higher resolution HUD - with the source code, could modders in theory port that back into the OG Doom 3?

I'm really surprised modders haven't already done this for the original. Usually one of the first things to get done.

antitrop

If Durante was able to accomplish what he did with the HUD in Dark Souls, then ya... I'm sure someone can figure it out for Doom 3.

commissar

Modtools probably aren't a priority, especially with the game selling pretty poorly on PC so far. Just using pure anecdotal evidence for this assumption such as struggled to get in the top 10 best sellers and is out of it currently, and not in the top 100 games played.

Even if they were a priority, mod tools can take a while to release sometimes.
It's the source code, not mod tools :p
There's some info about it here, and on brian harris' twitter as well. edit: specifically this tweet :)

But yeah. Apparently the RAGE idstudio tools have been finished for a while, but has been sitting with Zenimax for testing before being rolled out. For quite some time it seems. Makes me sad :(

NBtoaster

Nah, don't worry, man. It's totally a piece of shit. New content is whatever, and everything else is already possible with already existing mods for the original. Also Doom 3: BFG's visuals are not better than Doom 3's. If you custom res Doom 3 to 1920x1080 and put it at Ultra and compare it to Doom 3: BFG at Ultra 1080p, Doom 3 still looks better.

No. There's only extremely slight texture compression. Some Improved models, motion blur, and high res HUD are worth unnoticeable compression.

Widescreen has been in Doom 3 for a long ass time. It just takes about 30 seconds to turn it on.

Looked funky with the HUD.

I was on a Doom marathon and had to stop because of Doom 3. What complete shit that turned out to be. I couldn't make it more than an hour in before getting bored out of my mind.

Grief.exe

It's the source code, not mod tools :p
There's some info about it here, and on brian harris' twitter as well.

But yeah. Apparently the RAGE idstudio tools have been finished for a while, but has been sitting with Zenimax for testing before being rolled out. For quite some time it seems. Makes me sad :(

Oh ok, lol. I was reading all that fast I guess.

I'll believe the source code when I see it, but that would be a huge step in the right direction.

antitrop

No. There's only extremely slight texture compression. Some Improved models, motion blur, and high res HUD are worth unnoticeable compression
Doom 3: BFG's new character models are considerably worse. Not necessarily by technical comparisons, but purely aesthetically.

Dead Man

With the coming release of BFG as a purel business point of view it seems pretty redundant to offer both titles.

Too fucking bad if you havent bought a 10 year old game yet. Track down a physical copy. Or just get the newer version. Mos people wont know the difference or care.

Too fucking bad if you have not bought a 10 year old game? Too fucking bad if you are 15 and just got on steam for the first time. To bad if want to be able to play old games you missed. Just too fucking bad. Right?

sp3000

It's not going to matter anyway. Releasing modding tools for a game that is now a year old

antitrop

With the coming release of BFG as a purel business point of view it seems pretty redundant to offer both titles.

Too fucking bad if you havent bought a 10 year old game yet. Track down a physical copy. Or just get the newer version. Mos people wont know the difference or care.
Your edit is even worse than your original post.

What the hell, man?

commissar

It's not going to matter anyway. Releasing modding tools for a game that is now a year old
I know, but I still want to fiddle with it :p
edit:
grief.exe said:
I'll believe the source code when I see it, but that would be a huge step in the right direction.
Well the D3 source was released under Zenimax so there's that. I'm mainly hoping it happens soon so The Dark Mod team can get their hands on it before they go stand alone.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
This is an absolutely stupid move and just assured I won't be giving id/Bethesda my money for it. My launch Doom3 physical copy has a damaged disc so the install won't finish, but the key is fine. Always told myself I'd get around to snagging Doom 3 on steam so I could easily have it, but now they can fuck themselves. I won't buy an inferior version of the game just to have it at a reasonable price.

My backlog is big enough, it can do without your shit id.

BFG edition should sell itself. If you have to try to force people into it like this, maybe it tells you something about the product you're putting out.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Three pieces of info:

1. It's not just Steam, it appears to be everywhere. I've checked Amazon, GamersGate, Gamestop/Impulse and GreenMan so far and it's all just BFG edition.

2. It is still available in the iD super pack on Steam. I don't think they'll be putting BFG up there for a while, so if you want to purchase Doom 3 soon, wait and see if Steam puts the pack on sale for Halloween or the winter holidays.

3. The Mac version of Doom 3 still exists as a downloadable purchase on Amazon and a couple other places, but I can't speak for its quality as far as Mac ports go.

Grief.exe

Three pieces of info:

1. It's not just Steam, it appears to be everywhere. I've checked Amazon, GamersGate, Gamestop/Impulse and GreenMan so far and it's all just BFG edition.

2. It is still available in the iD super pack on Steam. I don't think they'll be putting BFG up there for a while, so if you want to purchase Doom 3 soon, wait and see if Steam puts the pack on sale for Halloween or the winter holidays.

3. The Mac version of Doom 3 still exists as a downloadable purchase on Amazon and a couple other places, but I can't speak for its quality as far as Mac ports go.

Doom 3 didn't exist on any of those places before. I know for a fact that they didn't exist on Amazon and GMG, in digital form, last week when I checked. And I doubt that it existed on Gamersgate and Impulse as well.

Sullichin

Unfortunate but not surprising that they wouldn't sell the same game twice in the store. The fact that you can mod the original game is a moot point because that's not officially supported, and when you look at vanilla Doom 3 vs Doom 3 BFG Edition, I'd say BFG Edition is the better game - most of the changes are subjective except for the lack of shadows from the flashlight. Almost no one is going to notice any difference between the textures in the two versions. I'm still not convinced that they aren't exactly the same. I prefer the original flashlight implementation and its dynamic lighting, but other than that prefer BFG Edition over vanilla Doom 3: it loads faster for me, widescreen HUD, has native controller support, motion blur, more content (even if it is underwhelming).

I was gonna say that If you gave a shit about the things that were changed in the BFG Edition, you probably already had a copy of Doom 3, but then I see people in this thread saying that they were planning on buying it. BFG Release definitely got people interested in Sikkmodd.. me included, but I had the game already.

Grief.exe

Unfortunate but not surprising that they wouldn't sell the same game twice in the store. The fact that you can mod the original game is a moot point because that's not officially supported, and when you look at vanilla Doom 3 vs Doom 3 BFG Edition, I'd say BFG Edition is the better game - most of the changes are subjective except for the lack of shadows from the flashlight. Almost no one is going to notice any difference between the textures in the two versions. I'm still not convinced that they aren't exactly the same. I prefer the original flashlight implementation and its dynamic lighting, but other than that prefer BFG Edition over vanilla Doom 3: it loads faster for me, widescreen HUD, has native controller support, motion blur, more content (even if it is underwhelming).

I was gonna say that If you gave a shit about the things that were changed in the BFG Edition, you probably already had a copy of Doom 3, but then I see people in this thread saying that they were planning on buying it. BFG Release definitely got people interested in Sikkmodd.. me included, but I had the game already.

Was there ever a reason listed why they couldn't include the shadows on the PC version? I would think it would be a simple toggle switch since they codded them for the initial game.

lol no.was going to wait for a sale.not anymore since i cant gift other games.ill jusy wait and hope they bring it back.

They probably aren't going to bring it back, maybe if this story reaches main stream news they might.

I guess id and Bethesda are advocating piracy here, why would you purchase an inferior product?

antitrop

Was there ever a reason listed why they couldn't include the shadows on the PC version? I would think it would be a simple toggle switch since they codded them for the initial game.

They probably aren't going to bring it back, maybe if this story reaches main stream news they might.

Might as well just pirate it, id and behtesda obviously want you to.
Ugh, laziness?

KissVibes

Banned
Wow, fuck you Bethesda. I was going to buy Doom 3 and RoE for the THIRTY DOLLAR PRICETAG in just a couple days. Now, I have to go dig up a boxed copy. Imagine how hard that shit'll be.

Eusis

Three pieces of info:

Still on Gamefly for now:

Doom 3

Resurrection of Evil

Doom 3 there says it's a Steam key, but no mention of that for RoE. Gotta hope for the best I guess. They also still have Final Doom, but given how you're better off just using Zdoom or a variant of Zdoom getting that on Steam isn't a huge deal... though with how Gamefly pulls delisted games maybe it's better to hope it gets readded on Steam, it doesn't have the "it's redundant!" excuse like Doom 3 has, not in the same way anyway.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Gog should licence the original release and profit from this. Make a post about sikkmod and the like too.

Only if they get the expansion as well though, I hate all the incomplete releases on there myself.

Anyway, I don't really care, I have the original but wouldn't reinstall it. It just wasn't very good.

Major mods like The Dark Mod are gearing up for stand alone releases too.

I guess some people wil miss co-op and other mods for the campaign.

Unless some of those can be made semi stand alone, their own launchers etc but needing the game files from BFG.

Although I think most were abandoned even before the final Doom 3 patch maybe others will convert them.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Gog should licence the original release and profit from this. Make a post about sikkmod and the like too.

Only if they get the expansion as well though, I hate all the incomplete releases on there myself.

Sure, that's a nice thought, but it's rather obvious that Bethesda are more or less, and for whatever reason, coercing digital customers into purchasing the BFG Edition. Right now, your only DD options are to purchase from Gamefly, which is US-only, or wait for the id Super Pack to go on sale, which happens twice a year and is a horrible value proposition if you're only after the original Doom 3.

Top Bottom