• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Original Xbox DLC - Already Dead and Gone?

soldat7

There was an error while downloading the content list for your game.

This is the error I get when trying to download content for both Splinter Cell and Halo 2. I'm assuming that if you try to download content for any other original Xbox title, you will see the same error.

You see, I have this content already, and in the case of Halo 2, paid a pretty good chunk of change for it. Thanks to Microsoft's wonderful hardware quality, I've had to purchase a new Xbox 360 (kept my HDD) and now all of my DLC is corrupt (presumably linked to my old 360.) Lovely.

Microsoft, you're killing Xbox Live for the original Xbox in April, not February. Give us a chance to download original Xbox content before the cutoff date.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, that's frustrating if true.
I was gonna go back and rock some Halo2 before it's gone but I don't think I have my DLC downloaded.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I hope not. I want to grab the H2 maps, wiped them off last year when I needed space.

Zzoram

They're actually going to remove Xbox 1 DLC even if you're downloading from an Xbox 360? That doesn't bode well for the future.

usea

Number 2 said:
DD. Behold the future.
This is a problem with a particular company, their hardware and their policies. Not with DD as a concept. There are lots of DD platforms and implementations out there that are fantastic and don't have these issues.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
goldenpp72 said:
Consoles: Where buying becomes renting

One of the reasons I always buy the pc version... consoles break, becomes obsolete, services end... with pc I always get to keep my games no matter what! Almost feels like renting + the online games never last as long as with pc! Somehow there alwasy is a community for the games on pc... its weird like that!

Dwayne

Does anyone know if all the original Xbox DLC content has been 'extracted'? Not cool if the service goes down and game content actually disappears completely with no way to get hold of it.

goldenpp72

I just think it's interesting, today, its 5 pieces of dlc we bought on xbox 1, 5 years from now? 500 bucks in xbla titles.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
usea said:
This is a problem with a particular company, their hardware and their policies. Not with DD as a concept. There are lots of DD platforms and implementations out there that are fantastic and don't have these issues.

This kind of move seems to be the trailblazing kind. If whats in the OP is really happening (not a Live glitch to be fixed) and this goes over without too much fuss i would expect it to happen again. Maybe all those other multi-million dollar corporations are concerned with their customers and not maximizing profit?

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
usea said:

It's only the services like XBL, PSN, and Steam that tie playing the game (online at least) to the service which will have this problem. Impulse/GG won't.

GG the service is just to DL, Impulse you can always not use to service to play the game fully.

I am glad I got rid of my 360 now. I really distrust consoles. Just wait when the last SF4 online gets yanked- there will be some crying then.

soldat7

MikeE21286 said:
so if you already have it downloaded is it gone too? or you just can't download it at all anymore?

You can't download the content at all. This applies to both new-comers and those that have already downloaded it. I really hope there is a fix, at least before April.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
goldenpp72 said:
Consoles: Where buying becomes renting
True and scary. I cannot even imagine the backlash that would happen if next Xbox or PS don't maintain their downloadable games compatibility at the very least. People have downloaded so many games and to render all that useless... very uneasy thought, yet I can see it somehow happening, especially with PS4 if they are forced to switch CPU architecture.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
soldat7 said:
This is the error I get when trying to download content for both Splinter Cell and Halo 2. I'm assuming that if you try to download content for any other original Xbox title, you will see the same error.

Woah, seriously? Then you'll be missing two of the maps (Hang 'Em High, which is actually pretty fun in "Team SWAT") that came after the add-on disc (which I own) off XBL for Halo 2 then.

Splinter Cell maps (well the first one's add-on) can be gotten off a demo disc like Halo 2's maps and Dead or Alive 3's outfits for the US version. Good luck finding someone giving those away and for cheap.

God, I have Microsoft at times. I couldn't even get the PSO online quests downloaded for PSO because Sega decided to not announce a canceling of services 30 days in advance so I could sign up for PSO X-box and pay nothing to play online and download the quests before it went kaput.

Seems like it's going to be time to mod people's X-boxes and see if they can crack the XBL encryption for DLC and share it. :|

goldenpp72

TheSeks said:
Woah, seriously? Then you'll be missing two of the maps (Hang 'Em High, which is actually pretty fun in "Team SWAT") that came after the add-on disc (which I own) off XBL for Halo 2 then.

Splinter Cell maps (well the first one's add-on) can be gotten off a demo disc like Halo 2's maps and Dead or Alive 3's outfits for the US version. Good luck finding someone giving those away and for cheap.

God, I have Microsoft at times. I couldn't even get the PSO online quests downloaded for PSO because Sega decided to not announce a canceling of services 30 days in advance so I could sign up for PSO X-box and pay nothing to play online and download the quests before it went kaput.

Seems like it's going to be time to mod people's X-boxes and see if they can crack the XBL encryption for DLC and share it. :|

Pretty much, stuff like this is when piracy becomes OK by me. I already know i'll have to replace my original xbox one of these days, and with so few games being BC on 360, it's a real shame MS is pissing all over their original fans.

I'd be ok with canning online play I guess, though i'd rather some kind of user function be available (me starting a server myself)

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
TheSeks said:

That reminds me that you cant even get to the game menu of PSO unless you have a Live account. So once they discontinue Live that disc is worthless :(

goldenpp72

Number 2 said:
That reminds me that you cant even get to the game menu of PSO unless you have a Live account. So once they discontinue Live that disc is worthless :(

Really? thats bullshit, pso isn't that horrid offline no xbox :/

TheSeks

Number 2 said:

No you can. So long as you have an X-box Live account (even if it's "Silver"/discontinued now) on the X-box hard-drive, PSO will let you play offline.

It's making sure you have an account for that game before the cut-off (or at least an X-box memory unit to move accounts from the original X-box to yours) before April that's the problem.

and this reminds me: You don't get Hurricane Pack 1/2 for Ninja Gaiden anymore after this cutoff. Hurricane Pack 1 gives you "intercept" which basically (if you master it) becomes "I WIN, YOU CAN'T HIT ME, FUCK OFF ENEMIES" with Ryu. And Hurricane Pack 2 is basically the last "mission" mode for Ninja Gaiden: Black (so you aren't missing that, but you'll miss Intercept which was cut from Black because it was overpowered).

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
goldenpp72 said:
Really? thats bullshit, pso isn't that horrid offline no xbox :/

Yeah came as quite the surprise after i got tired of Whacked and canceled my sub.

edit: hmm.. i tried forever trying to get into the game. When i called customer service the rep just said that the game requires Live to play (even says it on the box). i gave up after that.

edit2: well, looks like i have something for next month to do :lol

No, PSO will work and I explained this earlier. You need a live tag to start the game in any way even offline BUT you DO NOT have to be on the internet, I repeat, you do not have to be on the internet. You just need a gamertag on your xbox.

I have played xbox PSO offline for years with friends on my old xbox.

OMG Aero

I was always worried this would happen, that's why I only ever deleted Xbox DLC I had installed from a disc like the Halo map disc but kept the maps I downloaded for it.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Its why i almost never buy DLC. They own the content, not you, silly boys.

Thankfully games like GTA episodes and Bethesda RPG DLC are released in disc based versions. At that point all you need is the system to run it on.

Number 2 said:

Looks like the gamecube version is the superior version :p.

This better not be true:

1190310-geekjam_super.jpg

1190309-earlbot_super.jpg

1190308-suteki_super.jpg

I have yet to redownload these.

TheSeks

flamesofchaos said:
Looks like the gamecube version is the superior version :p.

Blue Burst says "No" and "Sup, any computer in the past decade can play me."

If this is how Microsoft is gonna handle all there digital games, and DLC, then i am very worried about the future of Xbox brand. This is also why i will never download a "Games on Demand." I have a bunch Halo 2 maps that i payed for, and a couple Rainbow Six packs. Its almost as if there's an expiration date on DLC. Thanks for the heads up.

However, I believe you can download those additional characters plus the two extra levels through this disc:

915720_50667_front.jpg

Those of you disappointed in losing your DLC, I think it is time to start looking for these volumes. They come with DLC for certain games sometimes. Those of you good with this sort of thing, a list of all the DLC supplied by these discs would be much appreciated.

teiresias

Is there any confirmation this [Microsoft removing access to Xbox1 DLC] is what's actually happening, or are we just jumping to conclusions too soon?

It would be nice to get an official word on this before bringing out the torches.

If it is true, they HAVE to realize there's no way they'd get away doing this with Xbox360 DLC content. I mean, there's just too much of it people have invested in.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
TheSeks said:
Blue Burst says "No" and "Sup, any computer in the past decade can play me."

What is Blue Burst? i had a shitty computer back in the day so i never had the chance to look at it

TheSeks

CB3 said:
What is Blue Burst? i had a shitty computer back in the day so i never had the chance to look at it

PSO Ep 1+ 2 + 4 (3 is the Gamecube cardgame).

Google "SCHThack" (not sure if private/hacked servers are GAF neutral for decade old games, though...)

However, I believe you can download those additional characters plus the two extra levels through this disc:

There is only so much DLC on those discs, though. You can't get the later Rainbow Six maps, for instance. (I think you can get the Ghost Recon maps as there is a 3-in-1 Tom Clancy disc of demos with the Splinter Cell 1 and Ghost Recon [IIRC, I know it has the SC1 maps]) on it.

You can't get the KotOR1 shop anywhere other than X-box Live for the X-box version, either (which is okay as the store was pretty fucking useless as there was better items elsewhere).

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Checking into this on the Halo 2 front. I'll report back if I can dig up some info.

vazel

Banned
usea said:
Problem is this isn't the first time DD has fucked people over. It's another bullet point for the haters.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Loosing DLC is bad, but what about loosing online fuctionability all together from games on consoles? For example, apparently there was an online mode for MG4, but when I bought the game, that mode was removed because it was deemed unpopular and no one played. I feel there is a problem when you buy a game on consoles and either online is not supported anymore or there is no one playing... never had this happen on pc. Heck there are even people playing 5 year old games online on pc (BF2), can't say that is true on consoles... sad :(!

One day even my most precious title, Demon souls, will loose its online... and that is just wrong!

Vespa

I was looking at the pgr2 packs when MS announced xbox1 live support was getting the plugged pull, couldn't find it on xbox.com and wiki says this:
Downloadable content

Bizarre Creations released two downloadable content packages for Project Gotham Racing 2: the Paris Booster Pack (released May 2004), featuring eight new cars and seven tracks in Paris, France, and the Long Beach Booster Pack (released June 2004) with eight new cars and eight tracks based around Long Beach, California.

The packs can no longer be downloaded.
Although this might have been announced before (and therefore unrelated), first I've heard of xbox1 dlc not being available :(.

dak1dsk1

Banned
NinMicroSega said:
This better not be true:

1190310-geekjam_super.jpg

1190309-earlbot_super.jpg

1190308-suteki_super.jpg

I have yet to redownload these.
http://www.cheatcc.com/xb/sg/xbox_exhibition_vol_2.txt

Seems they were on a demo disc? Are those copy protected, or can they be burned as DVD-R's?

Seems they were pirated (if you can pirate free content, that is) as well. God bless those pesky pirates. :)

Extra: DLC Installer, Update archive for ToeJam & Earl III

Includes new extras

---Earlbot - new character. 1609 blocks
---GeekJam - new character. 1560 blocks
---Suteki - new character. 1201 blocks
---Funkadelic Environment - new mission environment. 388 blocks
---Hades Environment - new mission environment. 249 blocks

One archive 47 Mb, burn and run the autoinstaller on DVD or multigame DVD or uncompressed, copy via FTP and run the default.xbe archive

Vespa said:
I was looking at the pgr2 packs when MS announced xbox1 live support was getting the plugged pull, couldn't find it on xbox.com and wiki says this:
Downloadable content

Bizarre Creations released two downloadable content packages for Project Gotham Racing 2: the Paris Booster Pack (released May 2004), featuring eight new cars and seven tracks in Paris, France, and the Long Beach Booster Pack (released June 2004) with eight new cars and eight tracks based around Long Beach, California.

The packs can no longer be downloaded.

Although this might have been announced before (and therefore unrelated), first I've heard of xbox1 dlc not being available :(.

Nooooo, so no way to get them now & I remember PGR2 still having a active online community?

kamspy

My bro-in-law is one of those Halo 2 holdouts and he's fuming right now.

Hasn't been a good week for him.

KAL2006

Banned
I stopped buying digital games a long time ago (never EVER bought DLC though), mainly because when I wanted to sell my 360 for a PS3 I found out all my XBLA games were wasted (no resale). Although in the end I decided to keep my 360 and buy a PS3 aswell, that tought me not to ever buy anything digital, I just feel like I don't fully own the games.

Top Bottom