• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Original Xbox DLC - Already Dead and Gone?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Vespa said:
I was looking at the pgr2 packs when MS announced xbox1 live support was getting the plugged pull, couldn't find it on xbox.com and wiki says this:

Although this might have been announced before (and therefore unrelated), first I've heard of xbox1 dlc not being available :(.
Wow, that's pretty stupid. It's a damn shame to think of people toiling away on all this content only for it to never be available to anyone that plays it after X date. It's especially annoying that MS didn't have the common courtesy to at least give a "heads up, this is going away forever, so get it while you still can" announcement before just casting it into the void.

I guess I can maybe empathize with doing things that way for, say, multiplayer maps for games that nobody plays multiplayer in anymore, but for single player content that added to the game and could be enjoyed independent of XBL functionality? Fucked up.

In fact, they ought to make all that stuff free until Xbox1's XBL is shut off as a show of goodwill. I'm sure at this point the devs would rather have the maximum amount of people experience and appreciate their work than obsess over the meager table scraps they're missing out on from the infinitesimally smaller number of people who will actually still pay for content from 5+ year old games that are soon set to be stripped of significant functionality.

Have tried Halo 2 and Chaos Theory and DLC just says when you go looking.
"Could not download content list. Pleas try again later"
Wish I had kept all my DLC now.

What about games where it "verifies" DLC? I remember for Mechassault 2 before you got to the main menu it would do some kind of check for DLC, I'm not sure if it checked online or not. With classic XBL about to be turned off even if you have the DLC downloaded you won't be able to use it for games like these, if it does connect to XBL for the DLC check.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
JaggedSac said:
Halo 2 isn't listed on the XBox.com marketplace. Can anyone verify that it was ever on there?
Xbox Live Marketplace isn't where you buy Xbox 1 DLC.

Xbox 1 games normally have their own in-game DLC downloader.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
BuddhaRockstar said:
What about games where it "verifies" DLC? I remember for Mechassault 2 before you got to the main menu it would do some kind of check for DLC, I'm not sure if it checked online or not. With classic XBL about to be turned off even if you have the DLC downloaded you won't be able to use it for games like these, if it does connect to XBL for the DLC check.
All the more reason to make it free until classic XBL goes down. People sure as fuck shouldn't be expected to buy content if it doesn't work after that point, but it's callous to dictate that that means they should just be doomed to never experience it at all. Throw open the gates and give the fans their last hurrah.

The DLC I will miss the most has to be:

Extra halo 2 maps but my cousin owns the release dvd I could just install but I would still be missing 2 free maps I think.

PGR2 paris and long beach, I never owned the last pack but I did buy the paris DLC, also I think in a title update they gave out a free speed 12 to everyone but in green or something, where if you unlocked the speed 12 normally with all plats you could use more paint colours to stay unique.

The old and beta test like xbox live arcade disc, marble blast was so worth it.

Office map for counter-strike, it was a free download as it never made the port in time.

--

I never did own much original download stuff as the games I use to play often like moto gp 1-2 and forza 1 never had any.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
If XBLA advance games all go away and they expect me to rebuy them on the new console is the day Xbox is dead to me.

This shit is unacceptable. I also don't get why they can't just patch the fucking Xbox games to be played online.

Fucking Midtown Madness 3 is going to die.

MIDTOWN MADNESS!

JesseZao

Zzoram said:
They're actually going to remove Xbox 1 DLC even if you're downloading from an Xbox 360? That doesn't bode well for the future.

Yeah, that doesn't speak well for the future of our DLC. I understand that xbox 1 Live had a different structure, but I'm really hoping they keep the 360 live structure in tact through the next console wave.

Vgamer

Wow they could not even wait until April to remove the DLC? Why is MS in such a rush? Surely it was not costing them that much to leave it up of least until Live is pulled down for good on Xbox in April.

I dont know about everyone else but I am starting to get worried about what will happen a couple years after Xbox 3 is out. Will they just cut off access to 360 DLC and online games too? Its almost like you dont really own the games that you buy anymore on consoles. Not sure I like the direction console game ownership is taking.

Persona7

Banned
This sucks, If my XBLA games ever get this treatment I will never buy another XBox product again.

I have a shitload of XBLA and indie games. :( Well over 500$.

What about PSN? I have a bunch of PSP and PSN games.

Meh. Hopefully microsoft has a lot better infrastructure in place for 360 live to have a more permanent place in the future.

It would seem that way with the xbox.com integration, but who knows.

Original Xbox was their first attempt though, and it's not surprising that they're jettisoning some of that dead weight.

I dont' really care much, i've moved on and anything online from 2003 is going to be better kept as a memory.

If this was whole games, I'd be a lot more upset, but a few side missions or multiplayer maps, I have a hard time caring.

Those extra DOA3 costumes were on a lot of the OXM disks back in the day, and you can get them from DOAU. Widely available almost...

Isn't it good for them to turn off some of the paid DLC? Because you had to pay for them upon each download...I could see someone panicking and buying the same DLC over and over.
I still want NG1 and intercept....been meaning to do that for years.

JaggedSac

cjelly said:
Xbox Live Marketplace isn't where you buy Xbox 1 DLC.

Xbox 1 games normally have their own in-game DLC downloader.

I see. Well, it makes sense then that the old XBox games could offer compatibility issues with changes that MS would want to make.

TheSeks said:
Woah, seriously? Then you'll be missing two of the maps (Hang 'Em High, which is actually pretty fun in "Team SWAT") that came after the add-on disc (which I own) off XBL for Halo 2 then.

Splinter Cell maps (well the first one's add-on) can be gotten off a demo disc like Halo 2's maps and Dead or Alive 3's outfits for the US version. Good luck finding someone giving those away and for cheap.

God, I have Microsoft at times. I couldn't even get the PSO online quests downloaded for PSO because Sega decided to not announce a canceling of services 30 days in advance so I could sign up for PSO X-box and pay nothing to play online and download the quests before it went kaput.

Seems like it's going to be time to mod people's X-boxes and see if they can crack the XBL encryption for DLC and share it. :|
iirc, DLC on Xbox was cracked back in the Xbox days. at least i remember there was some huge hoopla about a Halo 2 map pack installer...

TheDiabolical

I didn't read my own avatar and now everyone knows I'm not too bright. :(
you just need to switch the license for them over to your new 360.

xbox.com

i forgot where it is, but somewhere theres a page that shows your old and new consoles serial numbers.

the same thing happened to me when they sent me a different 360 console back from repair. once you choose your new 360 everything will be fine

Slavik81

Number 2 said:
DD. Behold the future.
They're multiplayer maps for an online game. Even if they came on plastic disks, you couldn't use them without relying on Microsoft servers anyways.

Slavik81 said:
They're multiplayer maps for an online game. Even if they came on plastic disks, you couldn't use them without relying on Microsoft servers anyways.
split screen / LAN games, for halo 2 at least.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
TheDiabolical said:
you just need to switch the license for them over to your new 360.

xbox.com

i forgot where it is, but somewhere theres a page that shows your old and new consoles serial numbers.

the same thing happened to me when they sent me a different 360 console back from repair. once you choose your new 360 everything will be fine

Uh... this has NOTHING TO FUCKING DO WITH THE 360, DUDE. This is the Original X-box. And the DLC for that generation IS NOT ABLE TO BE TRANSFERED. It's in the software based DLC.xbe for the Live service to boot into to find DLC for that particular game.

Faceless said:
iirc, DLC on Xbox was cracked back in the Xbox days. at least i remember there was some huge hoopla about a Halo 2 map pack installer...

Some of the DLC, yes. Some of it wasn't, probably because of Live intergration. PSO's quests are forever lost because you had to get on Live to get them. Who knows about the 2 XBL exclusive Halo 2 maps, though.

Urk said:
>>Bungie dude<<

You guys should print some cheap-o X-box discs with all the maps (or at least Hang 'Em High remake + the other map) for $15. I'd buy it.

Or remake Enlongation/Longest + Turf + Hang 'Em High + Blood Gulch for Reachs multiplayer. YES PLZ. I'm still pissed you guys chose Blackout/Lockout over fucking Turf. :|

Kibbles

Chip N Chance said:
You can always play Halo 2 on PC. Its not a bad port.
But I'd have to upgrade my PC which costs $. I'd also much rather use controller, and then I'll probably get schooled by the kids with keyboards.

TheSeks said:
Uh... this has NOTHING TO FUCKING DO WITH THE 360, DUDE. This is the Original X-box. And the DLC for that generation IS NOT ABLE TO BE TRANSFERED. It's in the software based DLC.xbe for the Live service to boot into to find DLC for that particular game.

So I can't download DLC for original Xbox games through the 360?

Slavik81

Diablohead said:
split screen / LAN games, for halo 2 at least.
Ok, I suppose you'd still have a limited ability to use them, but online multiplayer was a definitely still a significant reason why people bought the map packs in the first place.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
See You Next Wednesday said:

You have to put the game into the 360 and do it from within the game. There is no marketplace or equivalent for the original Xbox.

My Halo 2 maps appear to be dead and gone forever. :( I switched out to a new 360 a few months ago and never redownloaded them :(

Slavik81 said:
Ok, I suppose you'd still have a limited ability to use them, but online multiplayer was a definitely still a significant reason why people bought the map packs in the first place.

There are still massive Halo 1 and Halo 2 LAN parties that take place.

Not to say the online wasn't important, but a lot of players take part in LAN parties.

TheSeks

See You Next Wednesday said:

You can. But it goes through the GAME. It has nothing to do with the 360 hardware nor the licenses that 360 content uses.

The original X-box Live (up to 4.0/launch of X-box 360) was SOFTWARE BASED.

IE: GAMES had .xbe's for X-box Live services. That's why you can't find the X-box DLC on the 360 marketplace. Because the game points itself at the games servers to find the content.

killing off the old live service doesn't bother me but cutting off access to the dlc as well is fucking ridiculous.

i'll seriously be thinking twice about buying any downloadable content from the xblm from now on.

Jtwo said:
Hmm, that's frustrating if true.
I was gonna go back and rock some Halo2 before it's gone but I don't think I have my DLC downloaded.
It is kind of BS for anyone who wants to play some Mechassault, PGR2, Halo, Crimson Skies...ect.

It would not be the worst deal in the world other than the fact that my 360 loves to corrupt my Halo DLC and I think it got at my PGR2 DLC. Now this didn't only happen once, 3 times in fact where the games will tell me that I should redownload them because they have been corrupted which is going for stink for anyone who has not revisited those original Xbox games for awhile and may have this problem.

TheSeks

TheSeks said:
The original X-box Live (up to 4.0/launch of X-box 360) was SOFTWARE BASED.

I really wish I could find the explanation and application files that were used for X-box Live on the X-box 180/OG X-box for histories sake. I remember reading up on how they built X-box Live years ago but it seems Google/the Internet has gone and buried it so people all assume (coming to Live on the 360 generation) that Live was hardware based. Which is a bad assumption and makes me sad as the original X-box Live was pretty much a trail blazer (but even then console online gaming wasn't new, see X-Band on Genesis/SNES or hell the original NES modem or even further before that point).

ethelred

WickedLaharl said:
killing off the old live service doesn't bother me but cutting off access to the dlc as well is fucking ridiculous.

i'll seriously be thinking twice about buying any downloadable content from the xblm from now on.

That's what bothers me. I've bought downloadable content for Prince of Persia, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Fable 2... it bothers me that I might not have access to this stuff in the future. I already had this concern with Nintendo (I fully expect them to cut off their service and not to allow any sort of transfers to future consoles), but I had hoped things wouldn't be as bad with the other systems. It definitely makes me reluctant to buy additional stuff in the future.

border

This is garbage.

I could probably find some borderline-illegal way of getting the Halo 2 maps onto my Xbox1, but I want them on my 360. I guess I'm just fucked? Why in the hell would they do this without at least 90 days notice?

How am I supposed to even enjoy the final months of Halo 2 if I can't download the maps that are in the playlist rotation?

TheSeks said:

Some of the DLC, yes. Some of it wasn't, probably because of Live intergration. PSO's quests are forever lost because you had to get on Live to get them. Who knows about the 2 XBL exclusive Halo 2 maps, though.

You guys should print some cheap-o X-box discs with all the maps (or at least Hang 'Em High remake + the other map) for $15. I'd buy it.

Or remake Enlongation/Longest + Turf + Hang 'Em High + Blood Gulch for Reachs multiplayer. YES PLZ. I'm still pissed you guys chose Blackout/Lockout over fucking Turf. :|
Sidewinder, but please make it a 1:1, none of that interpretation crap. The original is still sick...

TheSeks

border said:
How am I supposed to even enjoy the final months of Halo 2 if I can't download the maps that are in the playlist rotation?

They want Halo 2 GONE, ASAP.

It's been played by 4K players last I checked in 2006. It's been the top played X-box Live game since it launched, and was the top Live Original X-box game since the 360 launched. It had a bunch of diehards playing it.

They're excuse for the friendslist update (which IMO is bullshit, if you have 100 people on your list, you have bigger issues than "ZOMG I NEED MORE SPACE") is that Halo 2 was hardcoded to have 100 as the limit. So they couldn't upgrade the 360's friend list as it would break Halo 2.

So that's why they're killing it quickly, so the 360 base can be happy having more useless friends slots. :|

epmode

Guys, this stuff is obsolete, old garbage! Just buy a new console and spend more money on the improved marketplace! Here's hoping Microsoft will release 360-ready ports of all of these games so we can buy the DLC all over again!

border

TheSeks said:
It's been played by 4K players last I checked in 2006.
People keep using this to justify the death of Halo 2, but at the same time I wonder how many games would be left on Xbox Live if they axed everything with less than 4000 unique users in a 24-hour period.

I also kinda wonder if the number of people that legitimately need more than 100 friends is that much greater than the number of people still playing Xbox 1 games on Live.

goldenpp72

Anyone with know how think it's possible for MS to let you install an xbox originals dlc app or something? A way to access old dlc we bought or can still buy through the 360?

RDreamer

ethelred said:
That's what bothers me. I've bought downloadable content for Prince of Persia, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Fable 2... it bothers me that I might not have access to this stuff in the future. I already had this concern with Nintendo (I fully expect them to cut off their service and not to allow any sort of transfers to future consoles), but I had hoped things wouldn't be as bad with the other systems. It definitely makes me reluctant to buy additional stuff in the future.

What bothers me along with this is the new trend of taking pieces of games that would have probably been on the disc and putting them for download for free in order to entice people to buy new. Yeah, you get the same stuff right now, but when the next Xbox and the PS4 or whatever are out and someone wants to finally check out Dragon Age or Mass Effect 2, they may never get the chance to get some content (like Shale). That sucks.

TheSeks

border said:
People keep using this to justify the death of Halo 2, but at the same time I wonder how many games would be left on Xbox Live if they axed everything with less than 4000 unique users in a 24-hour period.

There was still some Ghost Recon players, last I checked as there was some Counter-Strike, Rainbox Six...

Sure, the player bases weren't as huge as they were on launch, but the fact that I could go to X-box Phreaker.com and organize a game of Phantom Dust next weekend on X-box Live was the reason I continued to pay $50/year for the service since the original X-box Live launch. Now that they're axing this aspect, I'm done.

Why pay for a service when I won't be able to play GG:XX:#Reload or Phantom Dust (a game that MS US seems to want to ignore despite the Panzer Dragoon dude wanting to do a sequel but can't because they own the IP) anymore? Hell, I questioned it when they went with paid-for DLC after the original X-box had FREE DLC for ALL games.

Frankly, them announcing this is just the signed deed to me canceling my Live service.

Anyone with know how think it's possible for MS to let you install an xbox originals dlc app or something?

It could be possible. But the question is having the game install to the proper place and having them being in one place on the server. This doesn't let the thousands of original X-box games that used the Live marketplace application on their disc for X-box DLC be done for the original X-box as those games won't run on the 360.

So, probably not.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
ethelred said:
Well, it shouldn't be as anywhere near as bad as this with the transition to the next system.

At least they've had the foresight to centralise everything this gen, which was part of the problem with the original Xbox Live. Everything was on a per-game basis.

epmode

RDreamer said:
What bothers me along with this is the new trend of taking pieces of games that would have probably been on the disc and putting them for download for free in order to entice people to buy new. Yeah, you get the same stuff right now, but when the next Xbox and the PS4 or whatever are out and someone wants to finally check out Dragon Age or Mass Effect 2, they may never get the chance to get some content (like Shale). That sucks.
Don't play those crappy old games! After all, Microsoft doesn't make any money from used sales so you can't expect them to allow you to play forever!

God I love PCs.
*fires up a Windows 7 64-bit-compatible version of Gabriel Knight 1*

border

goldenpp72 said:
Anyone with know how think it's possible for MS to let you install an xbox originals dlc app or something? A way to access old dlc we bought or can still buy through the 360?
At this point I think it's better to question why Xbox Originals don't come with all the DLC included anyway.

Aspiring

Just a question. About 2 months ago i went online and downloaded all the Samba De Amigo DLC as well as a few other for my Dreamcast. Isn't there a way in which you could just download the DLC from your PC onto your XBOX? I mean it cant be illegal if MS no longer does it and even worse if you paid for it and cant access it.

border

Aspiring said:
Isn't there a way in which you could just download the DLC from your PC onto your XBOX?
The Xbox takes it in all orifices constantly -- it's been hacked so hard that you can put basically anything you want onto the hard drive.

The Xbox 360 is another story, as it is still locked down very hard as far as DLC is concerned. I don't know if there is a way to transfer content from your Xbox 1 to your 360. If there is, then that's probably going to be the only way to get old DLC onto your new system.

Vgamer

border said:

I have a feeling they want the number of Halo 2 online players to be low going into April to sort of justify closing it so players cant say "see this game is still popular you cant shut it down". By disabling the dlc they can keep out people who dont already have the maps or who did have them at some point but dont now and wanted to reminisce by playing Halo 2 online again.

Top Bottom