• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orphan Black - new Sci-Fi thriller - Saturdays on BBC America

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clevinger

No idea if this is good or not for BBC America:

BBC AMERICA’s new Supernatural Saturday line-up trended #1 in social and recorded one of the channel’s all-time highest rated nights. Over 2 million fans tuned in to Doctor Who: The Bells of Saint John on Saturday, March 30.

Following Doctor Who, BBC AMERICA’s original drama premiere, Orphan Black, scored over 1 million viewers, with new original comedy talk show premiere, The Nerdist, watched by almost half a million. The shows ranked #1 (Doctor Who), #2 (Orphan Black) and #3 (The Nerdist) in social media on the night.

Orphan Black delivered 1,026,000 in P2+ Live+SD Cume. Its 9:00pm premiere was watched by 684,000 in P2+ and 375,000 in A25-54.

looks like it

I haven't checked what BBC America has been pulling recently, so I don't have a reference point for that. I believe Orphan Black broke a few records on the Canadian broadcast on Space, so they have to be pleased with that.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
No idea if this is good or not for BBC America:

The premiere was lower than Copper's but higher than Ripper Street's. If it manages to stay in that ballpark it should be a lock for renewal - if the ratings on BBC America count towards that sort of thing, that is. The fact that it's a Canadian series might throw everything into whack.

The premiere was lower that Copper's but higher than Ripper Street's. If it manages to stay in that ballpark it should be a lock for renewal - if the ratings on BBC America count towards that sort of thing, that is. The fact that it's a Canadian series might throw everything into whack.
I'd imagine that having it as a co-production helps defray some of the cost, and they're probably getting good tax incentives to film up in Toronto.

Erm, isn't this EXACTLY like that show with Sarah Michelle Gellar, the ringer? Identical premise, it's like I'm having Deja Vu. Once plus is at least this actress can act. The gay guy is a bit much though, beyond irritating. Actually, who am I kidding, the main actress is irritating as all fuck too. I'm not sure how we're supposed to watch and root for such a horrible, not to mention stupid person. How exactly did she expect the whole "I'm dead, but only want certain people to think that" thing to pan out? Ridiculous.

- Onion A|V Club's weekend preview: We encourage you to check out Orphan Black in the midst of a suddenly crowded weekend
With all of the shows that have moved to Fridays and Saturdays now, the two emptiest nights of the week have just gotten a lot more crowded. But we’d like to call your attention to this show, a goofy little thing we like to call Orphan Black, complete with some absolutely amazing twists, some tight storytelling, and a fantastic performance from one Tatiana Maslany. Just stay away from the ads, though. They’re intent on spoiling the whole thing.

- TV Shows on DVD: Orphan Black - The Just-Premiered BBC America Show is Scheduled for DVD, Blu-ray
BBC America premiered this show last Saturday, and today BBC Home Entertainment and Warner Home Video are already announcing a July 16th release of Orphan Black - The Complete Season 1 on DVD (3 discs; $29.98 SRP) and high-def Blu-ray (2 discs; $34.98 SRP). We know the 10-episode collection will be accompanied by bonus material, but no information about those extras have been provided by the studio yet.

Another good episode. And I'm getting a vibe that this is a situation like that of The Island. The "bitch" of a soccer mom had clones made for a purpose we have yet to know about.

mackaveli

Another good episode. And I'm getting a vibe that this is a situation like that of The Island. The "bitch" of a soccer mom had clones made for a purpose we have yet to know about.

I don't know about that. I don't think she has anything to do with it.

I think Mrs. S knows the truth of the clones because she said she would always bring Sarah and the gay dude to America every time given the chance and that the daughter of Sarah is a miracle in that Clones can't have children but Sarah did and is protecting her. That's what I think right now. And the Soccer mom's children are adopted as I believe she looked to have an east Indian son who came out of the van but I can't remember.

I think Mrs. S knows the truth of the clones because she said she would always bring Sarah and the gay dude to America every time given the chance and that the daughter of Sarah is a miracle in that Clones can't have children but Sarah did and is protecting her. That's what I think right now. And the Soccer mom's children are adopted as I believe she looked to have an east Indian son who came out of the van but I can't remember.

Those children could simply be biracial.

DominoKid

now that i know this is canadian, the feel of this show makes so much more sense now. they don't do a good job of deciding if the show is in Toronto or NYC though.

first two eps have been alright. i was expecting something a bit more sci-fi. hope it opens up into that.

the lead is a pretty good actress. she does a damn good job of being different for each clone.

It's tough to watch a show, no matter how good the premise/writing is, when the main character is so fucking unlikeable. Seriously she's a horrible person who doesn't give 2 shits about how she's fucking everyone else's life, and completely cool with being a serial liar. What she's doing to her fake bf is just brutal (as well as her old one). Tough to root for someone like that.

It's tough to watch a show, no matter how good the premise/writing is, when the main character is so fucking unlikeable. Seriously she's a horrible person who doesn't give 2 shits about how she's fucking everyone else's life, and completely cool with being a serial liar. What she's doing to her fake bf is just brutal (as well as her old one). Tough to root for someone like that.

I know.

I mean, she has a daughter but that still does not endear me to her cause... well, she's being terrible to everyone, including her daughter by faking her death and shit.

Ricker

Hehe yeah,I liked it also...soccer Mom,Bitch hehe...some nice delivery by her,she is a good actress,I love the way she says ''ya'' all the time hehe...good episode...freakin Space where I watch this,show too much of the next episode in the preview along with the credits though,last time I watch that...

Slizz

The lead is what seems to be a career criminal/scam artist/thief to begin with. The only thing *almost* grounding her is her daughter I feel. I guess that could lead to why she has little to no disregard to the situations and relationships around her(also she found out shes a clone...)

Hehe yeah,I liked it also...soccer Mom,Bitch hehe...some nice delivery by her,she is a good actress,I love the way she says ''ya'' all the time hehe...good episode...freakin Space where I watch this show too much of the next episode in the preview along with the credits though,last time I watch that...

Same with BBC America. I'm not watching the next time on previews either.

That wasn't my interpretation based on the first speaking scene of hers.

My theory is just a quick hitter. It's based on how the soccer mom and the geek seem more knowledgeable of the 5 clones/twins/duplicates we've seen in two episodes and the ~3 additional ones mentioned in the briefcase. I expect to be proven wrong and have the explanation be more complicated that the idea played with in The Island. Experiments were occurring on Sarah or one of them, why? we're all free to speculate until the show tells us more.

Raxus

Just added this to my must watch list. The Americans and Orphan Black are easily the two best shows this year.

Tatiana Maslany deserves all the acting Emmys.

The next episode trailer shows her going to a crime scene, I hope this isn't going to turn out to be another cop-solving-crimes with a twist TV show.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I really enjoyed episode 2. I'm very excited to see what happens now that Sarah has connected with the network of lookalikes.

wildfire

Banned
Just caught up with this show and I can already tell unlike "the Following" it will take several seasons (instead of like 20 episodes) before it could start becoming over the top bad. It's nice to see BBC delivering on quality shows again.

It helps that it's only a 10-episode season, though from what critics have said about the first 4, it only gets more complicated and crazier as it continues.

Grifter

Nice, been catching on up on-demand and wondered when it aired. I'm totally in on this.

First ep was really disorienting. BBCA production, but it opened with British accents, then everyone else spoke American, then they had exteriors that looked decidedly un-American. Recognized the plates eventually but I thought they dubbed dollars in for pounds here at first.

Watched this and Rogue in the last week, surprising levels of lead female nudity in both pilots. Seems to be a standard contract clause to check off now.

IISANDERII

Just got caught up to the 2nd episode. I think this show is very entertaining for a few reasons both subtle and not:

-Fast paced, sharp dialogue. To the point, no wasted bullshit subtext that isn't there. Funny at times as well.
-fast paced story too. Things aren't drawn out, they introduce something and they expand on it immediately. Things keep moving
-Three distinct plot lines that aren't really muddied by crossing over one another. I'm sure they will cross but I like how the writing is patient enough to not jump into that immediately.
-the lead actress: Sexy, talented and damned committed. All the actors have done a good job so far.
-location shooting. Show isn't confined to bullshit dark studios that have obvious fake decor[well except the gay dude's studio apartment perhaps]. We're in real places: Homes, streets, offices, train stations, etc. This reminds me of Luther, another BBC works.

Gotta love the BBC. I didn't know this was a BBC production at first and was shocked that a Canadian production could be so good. Finding out it's the BBC makes a lot more sense.

Tonight had an important character building moment for Sarah. There were the avenue to take and get away with another 75000 (how convienent) and she was ready to do so after being reinstated. Ultimately, the right decision was made for the safety of her daughter's sake. With everything that transpired tonight and from the previous two episodes, running off would be terrible thing to do. If we're to assume that crazy scared blonde clone doesn't know about the daughter, having Sarah run off with Kira ends up placing a target on both of their backs. It's best for Sarah and her clones to solve their current predicament, leave Kira with Mrs. S and then deal with the fallout of the mystery that is unraveling.

And Tatiana Maslany continues an excellent job of making each character special in their own way.

PS. Raj didn't do anything out of the ordinary as a computer technician. We're always dragged into stuff that doesn't fit our job description.

I really liked the first episode.

Anyone else remember the lead as ghost?

pBV6cBL.jpg

It takes place in toronto. It's pretty refreshing to see a canadian show not pretend to be from somewhere else just for viewers.

I remember her from that YTV show 2030 CE.

Vlodril

This show is surprisingly good. Fast paced and not much filler.

Also the protagonist is doing a fantastic job between personas(also she is smoking hot).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom