• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

olympia

For those of you who are scared and have a 2011 early MBP 15"
It runs well enough after the indexing. It got insanely hot during indexing and the fans weren't picking up. Nonetheless, it survived (80-85˚C cpu). Then after a day, temps are averaging 40˚C cpu. For comparison, Mavericks was around 35˚C for me.
Nonetheless, it runs fine. Only issues are software ones and glitches with chrome and a few other apps. Those should be fine eventually with updates.

On a side note, I really miss having 16 gb ram. I had to put the stock 4 gb after the 16 gb ram went bad and lead to a whole bunch of issues...

cool, thanks

Miker

Anybody having a slight 2 second delay when opening up new tabs in safari? As in cmd+T opening up a new tab with favorites. I didn't have this problem on Mavericks.

EDIT: It also manifests when I open up a bunch of new blank tabs by mashing cmd+T. Safari freezes for a bit, then pops up a bunch of tabs.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Anybody having a slight 2 second delay when opening up new tabs in safari? As in cmd+T opening up a new tab with favorites. I didn't have this problem on Mavericks.
Do you use the thumbnail view? Because that view is a piece of shit. I switched to Bookmarks view, since it's the same view you see on iOS now too anyway, and just rearranged my bookmarks to work well for me. No delay now.

Try that out. If the delay goes away, don't use thumbnail view. It's broken now. (I also never had the delay on Mavericks with the thumbnails)

Ambitious

It seems notifications are kinda broken for me. There are banners and alerts. The former are supposed to disappear after a few seconds, the latter are supposed to stay on screen until the user manually closes them.

For me, notifications of both types disappear. And neither of them shows up in the Notification Center. Well, that's not quite correct: When I upon the NC as soon as I receive a notification, I can see it in there. But simultaneously with the banner/alert disappearing to the right, the notification inside NC disappears upwards.

Miker

Do you use the thumbnail view? Because that view is a piece of shit. I switched to Bookmarks view, since it's the same view you see on iOS now too anyway, and just rearranged my bookmarks to work well for me. No delay now.

Try that out. If the delay goes away, don't use thumbnail view. It's broken now. (I also never had the delay on Mavericks with the thumbnails)

I'm currently using favorites (star) instead of top sites (grid), and I still have that delay. I haven't tried the top sites, but the delay still happens with opening an empty page for new tab.

Ninja Dom

EDIT: It also manifests when I open up a bunch of new blank tabs by mashing cmd+T. Safari freezes for a bit, then pops up a bunch of tabs.

Nah, not here. Just tested it right now and new tabs in Safari are fine.

Speaking of Safari, how are everybody's Push Notifications working in Safari from subscribed websites?? Macrumors Push Notifications worked fine in Mavericks but not now in Yosemite.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm currently using favorites (star) instead of top sites (grid), and I still have that delay. I haven't tried the top sites, but the delay still happens with opening an empty page for new tab.
That's weird. I had the horrible delay when I first got Yosemite and was disheartened until I noticed that switch. When I changed it to Favorites, the delay went away.

The only thing I can suggest is deleting your Safari cache from ~/Library/Cache/. (Only the cache. Not any other Safari folder. Cache will be recreated.) Not that it would help, but it's worth a try. No idea otherwise. My delay is like 1/5th of a second now. Near instant. If I change to Top Sites, I get a literal 2 second delay before the tab even appears.

Speaking of Safari, how are everybody's Push Notifications working in Safari from subscribed websites?? Macrumors Push Notifications worked fine in Mavericks but not now in Yosemite.
Must be their site then. Because I have them turned on but have no MacRumors notifications, but I do have some from other sites right now.

Ninja Dom

Must be their site then. Because I have them turned on but have no MacRumors notifications, but I do have some from other sites right now.

I've only seen Mac news sites support Safari Push Notifications so far. It would be great if there was a new NeoGAF topic Push Notification.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I've only seen Mac news sites support Safari Push Notifications so far. It would be great if there was a new NeoGAF topic Push Notification.
I've seen a few non-Mac sites do it. But it's mostly Mac ones.

Also, I think, like the "Who Quoted Me" feature, Push on GAF would probably kill the server. lol Would be a neat feature though. Just follow NeoGAF New Posts on Twitter and set it to notify.

Speaking of which, why, why is it that I can have Twitter notifications of people tweeting sent to my phone and iPad via the Twitter app, but even with OS X's Twitter integration, it doesn't send those tweets to my Mac too? And no, I don't want the Twitter app on my Mac. It makes no sense that this isn't a feature or option.

Also, why can't I set Notifications to pop up on the bottom right corner? With them in the top right they get in the way all the time. According to Apple's own HIG from way back in the day, unimportant stuff is supposed to go in bottom right with important stuff top left. Which is why disks and files on the desktop are on the right side. I want notifications to show up in the bottom corner so they don't cover anything important or get clicked accidentally when they pop up. OS 9 did this too with its unobtrusive dialogs (Which are direct relatives to Notifications actually) and came up in the top right. But back then the UI wasn't so busy as it is now. Now you have apps with stuff all over the place.

Oh, and I really wish I could set a delay to when the menubar slides down. Whenever I go up to click something at the top of the page, I always overshoot, hit the top of the screen, activate the menubar, move down to try and click the link I wanted to, but for some reason when the menubar is open there's a dead zone on the page under the tab bar until I let it slide away again, which requires me to move the mouse down a bit and wait. It's frustrating as hell. Either give me an option to delay the menubar a bit, remove the dead zone or an option to have the menubar always visible even in fullscreen. They won't though. I waste a lot of time correcting myself having to wait for that menubar to disappear.

Miker

That's weird. I had the horrible delay when I first got Yosemite and was disheartened until I noticed that switch. When I changed it to Favorites, the delay went away.

The only thing I can suggest is deleting your Safari cache from ~/Library/Cache/. (Only the cache. Not any other Safari folder. Cache will be recreated.) Not that it would help, but it's worth a try. No idea otherwise. My delay is like 1/5th of a second now. Near instant. If I change to Top Sites, I get a literal 2 second delay before the tab even appears.

Yeah, it still happens even on empty tab. It's incredibly annoying, but not enough to make me go back to Chrome with its janky scrolling.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Errrr....you can get notifications of new Twitter posts from selected users in the iOS app?
Yep. Turn on tweet notifications. When you tap the gear under someones profile, you can enable it. Everything they tweet will come to your iOS device. (And probably Android or Windows Mobile) But it doesn't work for OS X too which is sad.

I have it turned on for a few people. BananasaurusRex, JonTron, my friend AruixLive, TNG_S8, SavedYouAClick and some others. And when they show up on your lock screen on iOS 8, you can swipe to the left and retweet or favorite it immediately. (Though not both at once sadly because it disappears immediately as soon as you perform an action.)

Ryck

Holy shit, it might just be cause I had to reformat my drive and install everything clean but god damn my MacBook Pro is a booting faster and loading everything faster than on Mavericks.

Despite the horrible time getting it to initially work, everything is great and amazing.

I can't wait for SMS and I hope we get more features in the future that allow us to do this stuff via lightning cable rather than bluetooth for us with older Macs.

For the most part mine do work 100% with the exception of a couple Safari extensions. The only issue I had was MPlayerX where scrubbing a video to fast-forward or rewind isn't working quite as smoothly as before.

What kind of apps are you worried about, we can test them for you.
Honestly I am only really worried about some Emulators I use. Not sure if that is even open to discussion or not. But I do appreciate the offer.

Mail is still such a bloated piece of shit if you deal with a large amount of emails. I caught my machine using 650% of its CPU because Mail was stuck trying to parse a particularly long email thread. I had to restart the program to fix it.

Honestly I am only really worried about some Emulators I use. Not sure if that is even open to discussion or not. But I do appreciate the offer.

OpenEmu works fine, from what I gathered.

Ninja Dom

Yep. Turn on tweet notifications. When you tap the gear under someones profile, you can enable it. Everything they tweet will come to your iOS device. (And probably Android or Windows Mobile) But it doesn't work for OS X too which is sad.

I have it turned on for a few people. BananasaurusRex, JonTron, my friend AruixLive, TNG_S8, SavedYouAClick and some others. And when they show up on your lock screen on iOS 8, you can swipe to the left and retweet or favorite it immediately. (Though not both at once sadly because it disappears immediately as soon as you perform an action.)

Nice. Just turned it on for @NeoGAFNewThread. I'll see how this all goes.

About to update my hackintosh, hope it all goes well.

I didn't know people were still making/configuring/running Hackintosh's.

Konka

Banned
Ft74L7I.png

Can somebody tell me why I don't have the option to set images as my background in Safari?

Man calling/answering on the computer is just utter shit.

Everyone complains they can't hear you very well regardless of what microphone you use. I have a ModMic, a Yeti and the built-in mic and nobody has said any one was better than the others. They all suck equally. Except these are some of the best mics available on the market today. The problem isn't the mics; the problem is the way the audio is being transmitted through the phone.

Fix this shit, Apple.

EmiPrime

Installed Steermouse, it didn't seem to support my mouse so I uninstalled it soon after. That resulted in kernel panics on the logic screen if the mouse was plugged in.

I again had to boot into my backup to fix it. There were no traces of Steermouse so I deleted a KEXT with Steelseries in its filename instead which seems to have fixed it.

It's sad that the third party mouse driver situation still sucks on OS X. I am tempted to adjust to the "magic" trackpad and be done with it.

Mohasus

working perf for me!
Working fine here too, but I couldn't update directly and had to create a USB boot drive and install over mavericks. Everything is still here, so yay!

iimTiGRx0tYjz.png

I didn't know people were still making/configuring/running Hackintosh's.
It isn't my main OS, but I like to use it every now and then. I found out I could run it after buying my PC, it is really easy nowadays.

edit: damn this OS is beautiful.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I'm trying to download Yosemite and it's going slow as hell. Anyone else?

Ermac

What model laptop/iMac? Most comments of it being slow so far have been from people with older MBP/MBA models.

2011 MBA. What's odd is my brother downloaded it yesterday (same model) and it was super fast.

edit: After resarting the download a few times it's moving fast now. Guess I managed to hook onto a good server.

Anyone having issues after the iTunes 12 update where music is ordered weirdly?

I have a few albums that split themselves into two (or more) and when I recombined them they'll be in an order like 2, 4, 6, 8, 1, 3... (basically the first couple are ordered wrong, but the rest are perfectly fine).

It's weird because the CD # and everything else appears to be fine.

pestul

It took a while but its now running awesome on my 2009 Intel core i7 iMac. I turned off transparencies in accessibility settings to get another boost.

I've found my Plex media server is a little buggy and sluggish since Yosemite, but it's being worked on.

Working fine here too, but I couldn't update directly and had to create a USB boot drive and install over mavericks. Everything is still here, so yay!

iimTiGRx0tYjz.png

It isn't my main OS, but I like to use it every now and then. I found out I could run it after buying my PC, it is really easy nowadays.

your imessages/icloud/facetime work fine with that SMBIOS?

ps: love your startup disk name btw <3

Fuchsdh

iimTiGRx0tYjz.png

Lol. Why does it read as a 2008 Mac Pro? Wouldn't you want to show it as a later model for better support?

Lol. Why does it read as a 2008 Mac Pro? Wouldn't you want to show it as a later model for better support?

it doesnt have too much influence on the system other than i believe that particular model of the mac pro has a different amount of numbers in the system board id i think? which i believe causes issues with imessages activation and whatever

i'm totally going off memory here but something among those lines (i think it also can influence power management in the system)

A screenshot of the Activity Monitor in the "all processes" rather than "my processes." Would help in seeing if anything that isn't currently running is causing it, maybe. Eliminate that and then we can all try and offer further advice. :p

Done! The fans are audible right now, and all I have open are Safari and Mail (the latter only having five tabs open). This is not normal.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I really love how menus look when using Graphite and Dark Mode:

So good.

I just hate that some apps don't respect it, even ones that are update, like 1Password Mini which uses the system selection color instead of the clear white glass look. Or iStats Menus which while they still look great, use their own GUI design instead.

cacophony

is there any way to make switching tabs in Firefox just Function + Arrow keys, instead of Function + Control + Arrows.

I used to do this with doublecommand but it doesn't work with Yosemite

also, is there any way to adjust scrolling speed?

Ermac

Hm, I did a clean install so I formatted my HD, but during the process of installing Yosemite my Wi-Fi was still connected(was checked in the taskbar). I'm guessing it doesn't delete that / remembers it to authenticate the install or something? Kinda strange since I had to connect to it again after the installation complete.

VoxPop

iimTiGRx0tYjz.png

Nice. Got mine working too with full GPU support and all but no sound. For some reason Chimera 4.0 causes kernel panics so I can't even get around to installing my ALC drivers.

DOWN

Banned
Does it hurt to keep the MacBook Air in the charger for a few hours after it has fully charged?

No! Modern batteries don't actively use the charger at all times. Once a MacBook battery charges, it will just use the direct power from the plug to power the computer and the battery will basically act unplugged and protect itself. Once the battery has sat long enough to fall back to 95% over the next day or two, the computer will top it off and then just stop charging while it runs directly from the plug again.

All you need to do is use it unplugged from the charger in the roughly 50-75% range each week or two, then you can plug it back in and leave it. Using it daily in that range is pretty healthy too, if you need it.

https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

Anyone here a user of Memory Clean?

I've noticed since upgrading to Yosemite (on my 2014 15" MBP) that I consistently have much less 'free' RAM than I used to, however I'm not noticing any hit on performance. I'm assuming this is just a by-product of Yosemite handling memory differently?

I'm not one of these people that's anal about memory consumption, in case you were wondering, but I'm often using very memory-intensive graphics programs and I've found it's handy to manually flush memory after closing them.

I'm not one of these people that's anal about memory consumption, in case you were wondering, but I'm often using very memory-intensive graphics programs and I've found it's handy to manually flush memory after closing them.

Memory that is unused is wasted-- you want it all to be used but also never have to swap to disk (even an SSD).

The OS will cache files in memory as well as leave closed applications in known places in memory so that opening those files and applications is much faster the next time around. These are over written when the computer needs to allocate memory to something fresh and doesn't have anything free.

No! Modern batteries don't actively use the charger at all times. Once a MacBook battery charges, it will just use the direct power from the plug to power the computer and the battery will basically act unplugged and protect itself. Once the battery has sat long enough to fall back to 95% over the next day or two, the computer will top it off and then just stop charging while it runs directly from the plug again.

All you need to do is use it unplugged from the charger in the roughly 50-75% range each week or two, then you can plug it back in and leave it. Using it daily in that range is pretty healthy too, if you need it.

https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

I don't intend on keeping it charged for a whole week, just a dozen hours or so until I gotta take it out with me.

That's great to know though, thanks. I guess I could also play some games now on it without worrying about the battery.

I've noticed since upgrading to Yosemite (on my 2014 15" MBP) that I consistently have much less 'free' RAM than I used to, however I'm not noticing any hit on performance. I'm assuming this is just a by-product of Yosemite handling memory differently?

I use memory clean on occasion, haven't for quite some time though.Probably since Mavericks.

Ninja Dom

I'm running Yosemite completely Flash-less. I don't have Flash installed on my Mac. So when I go onto YouTube in Safari it just loads the videos in HTML 5. Should I be seeing any performance increases in YouTube or faster loading?

MoodyFog

I'm running Yosemite completely Flash-less. I don't have Flash installed on my Mac. So when I go onto YouTube in Safari it just loads the videos in HTML 5. Should I be seeing any performance increases in YouTube or faster loading?

I do the same, and noticed a slight change in battery life.

Top Bottom