• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

Theonik

So I shouldn't delete it? :p
The kernel is basically the core of the system which provides services for other parts of your OS.
This kernel_task process owned by root can basically be described as 'doing OS shit' as for the high CPU or RAM usage it could be a number of things. For instance, if you had a low amount of RAM your OS would have to constantly try and find you more memory which can eat up a significant amount of the CPU.
Different accessories can also lead to this sort of issue. Restarting your computer might help or unplugging everything you don't need.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I want to buy a Mac Mini.
Is the Mac mini (2012) capable of running 2K resolution?

If not, what am I really losing out by buying a Mac mini 2014, if I think 8GB is enough for me in terms of RAM?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So I shouldn't delete it? :p
Kernel_task is literally the top of the process hierarchy. It spawns all other processes from itself.

So sure, delete it. What could it hurt? /s

I view Actuvity Monitor in Heirarchy mode so I can see where processes come from. Sort it by process ID and you have it sorted by last spawned. Very useful.

After losing almost the entire day of productivity, I have a warning: SSD users, DO NOT ENABLE TRIM.

Or better stated, you need to know that Apple's security has changed, making it riskier than before Yosemite. Read about it here:

http://www.cindori.org/trim-enabler-and-yosemite/

Basically, if you enable TRIM and at some point do a PRAM/NVRAM reset, your OS install will shit the bed sending you to this:

jRKOzr2.png

I got hit with this guy this morning before I started my work and couldn't log into OSX at all. I had no idea what the problem was or why. Verbose boot mode suggested something with a USB ktext, which sent me on a wild goose chase that lasted somewhere around 6 hours, including trying to figure out what the problem was via my Windows 8 bootcamp install, backing up in the event I'd need to do a clean install, and researching random-ass ktexts that ultimately had nothing to do with it.

I was able to install OSX over my existing OSX installation and everything was still there as if nothing ever happened, but I lost a lot of time today. I just discovered this post while reading through some of their other products. Their Trim Enabler has been a staple for SSD owners since OSX Lion, but the new caveat must be realized. Their app should really provide a bigger, clearer warning before switching it on. I enabled mine last week but did a PRAM reset to see if I could fix a lingering mouse issue. I don't recall having any issues booting into OSX, but this morning it shit the bed.

Be aware. Save the link if you do decide to enable TRIM and find yourself with that error screen when booting. There are instructions to fix it without installing the OS again (Recovery Mode).

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
There's now a tool that modifies the necessary kexts to activate Handoff, iOS<->OSX Airdrop and Instant Hotspot on the mid-2011 MacBook Air. Other older models will require a new bluetooth/wifi card. The post includes a model breakdown and the previous step-by-step tutorial if you want to do it manually.

The tool does the same process I posted about earlier in the thread, but automated. Make sure you read everything carefully and use it at your own discretion.

The previously blocked features have been working flawlessly for me since I did the manual process one week ago on my Air, so if you want them and have one of the hardware-compatible Macs that were blacklisted by Apple (Air mid-2011 and Mac Mini mid-2011/2012), it won't hurt to back up the kexts and give this a try.

jts

...hate me...
There's now a tool that modifies the necessary kexts to activate Handoff, iOS<->OSX Airdrop and Instant Hotspot on the mid-2011 MacBook Air. Other older models will require a new bluetooth/wifi card. The post includes a model breakdown and the previous step-by-step tutorial if you want to do it manually.

The tool does the same process I posted about earlier in the thread, but automated. Make sure you read everything carefully and use it at your own discretion.

The previously blocked features have been working flawlessly for me since I did the manual process one week ago on my Air, so if you want them and have one of the hardware-compatible Macs that were blacklisted by Apple (Air mid-2011 and Mac Mini mid-2011/2012), it won't hurt to back up the kexts and give this a try.
I didn't know I could upgrade my Macbook's bluetooth module to 4.0, that's cool! Bit pricey though, but still, very cool to know I can eventually enable handoff!

Thanks m8.

There's now a tool that modifies the necessary kexts to activate Handoff, iOS<->OSX Airdrop and Instant Hotspot on the mid-2011 MacBook Air.

FYI for everyone who's tempted by this; this suffers from the same potential problems that Trim Enabler does that Dreams-Visions just posted about.

Fuu

FYI for everyone who's tempted by this; this suffers from the same potential problems that Trim Enabler does that Dreams-Visions just posted about.
Good point. I'll have to make sure to restore the original kexts when/if I need to do a PRAM reset or other type of deeper maintenance in the future to avoid any problems, then modify them back again.

Re-signing the originals is very quick and the potential risk seems to be in specific scenarios, so that's definitely not enough for me to forsake the full continuity experience. I'll keep using this mod until I upgrade to a Retina Air (whenever that's released).

xsarien

daedsiluap
Had my first Yosemite phone call today with work. No complaints on either side of the call. Pretty damn awesome, actually. :) Work, work, work, click to call co-workers and never skip a beat. Not having to stop and fish the phone out of my bag = win! :)

RevoDS

Asking again: why are my fans running (audibly) so frequently? Ever since I've installed Yosemite this has been happening inexplicably. Here's my Activity Monitor, which I hope provides some clues:

It's clearly Spotlight which is randomly indexing stuff. Not sure why it's happening intermittently, but a 0.36 avg usage with spikes at 20? There's your culprit.

After losing almost the entire day of productivity, I have a warning: SSD users, DO NOT ENABLE TRIM.

Or better stated, you need to know that Apple's security has changed, making it riskier than before Yosemite. Read about it here:

Basically, if you enable TRIM and at some point do a PRAM/NVRAM reset, your OS install will shit the bed sending you to this:

jRKOzr2.png

I got hit with this guy this morning before I started my work and couldn't log into OSX at all. I had no idea what the problem was or why. Verbose boot mode suggested something with a USB ktext, which sent me on a wild goose chase that lasted somewhere around 6 hours, including trying to figure out what the problem was via my Windows 8 bootcamp install, backing up in the event I'd need to do a clean install, and researching random-ass ktexts that ultimately had nothing to do with it.

I was able to install OSX over my existing OSX installation and everything was still there as if nothing ever happened, but I lost a lot of time today. I just discovered this post while reading through some of their other products. Their Trim Enabler has been a staple for SSD owners since OSX Lion, but the new caveat must be realized. Their app should really provide a bigger, clearer warning before switching it on. I enabled mine last week but did a PRAM reset to see if I could fix a lingering mouse issue. I don't recall having any issues booting into OSX, but this morning it shit the bed.

Be aware. Save the link if you do decide to enable TRIM and find yourself with that error screen when booting. There are instructions to fix it without installing the OS again (Recovery Mode).

They updated the disk format to be based on Core data, so that might be why

It's clearly Spotlight which is randomly indexing stuff. Not sure why it's happening intermittently, but a 0.36 avg usage with spikes at 20? There's your culprit.

Do you know how I'd go about fixing this?

edit: Err, could it be fucking FileVault. What the hell?

Worst part is, my computer insists I let it finish before I cancel. What should I do?

They updated the disk format to be based on Core data, so that might be why

No, it is because kernel extensions must be signed unless a NVRAM setting is made to allow kernel development. The installers for Trim Enabler and this Continuity utility do set that. If you change the setting back or NVRAM is reset and the Mac tries to boot with an unsigned kext, it won't boot.

The terminal in the recovery partition should let you recover from this, assuming it is still there.

v1oz

I'm actually digging the aesthetic. I think it looks way better on a computer than comparably on mobile.

The only reason it looks good is because its not as radical a redesign as iOS 7 was. Yosemite still looks like OS X (you couldn't mistake it for anything else) and it's not flat - everything still has depth.

v1oz

Do you know how I'd go about fixing this?

edit: Err, could it be fucking FileVault. What the hell?

Worst part is, my computer insists I let it finish before I cancel. What should I do?

Your computer will be running very slow while it does that. I initially thought it did a bad OS upgrade because of how slow and unresponsive the computer was.

It takes hours too. I left mine to do that overnight. But once it finished I couldn't discern any noticeable drop in performance with using filevault, it performs as usual now.

LCfiner

I find spotlight to be about the same speed for things I used it for before (apps, contacts, documents, etc) and I really appreciate the unit and currency conversion stuff. I use it almost daily.

I've already used the iPhone calling "continuity" feature around 4 times the last week. very convenient.

My main complaint with the OS is that small helvetica text on darkened blurred backgrounds (ie: notification center) looks like garbage on non retina displays. very rough.

I have other small nitpicks about the looks but, overall, I like it and think it's an improvement over mavericks. And for functionality, I'm digging the continuity stuff and spotlight / notification center changes.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Has anyone else noticed that Ctrl+C is now bound to switch to screenshot taking mode?

How the hell do I turn this off so I can use a terminal again?

Edit: System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts -> Uncheck the stuff in Screen Shots

entremet

Anyone with a 27 inch thunderbolt cinema display?

I can never wake my Mac from sleep mode while in clamshell mode connected to the Cinema Display.

Seems like a bug.

I've already used the iPhone calling "continuity" feature around 4 times the last week. very convenient.

Are the people you're calling finding the quality sufficient? It seems to suck to the people I'm calling. I'm sitting no more than a 18" from the mic. No complains in Skype calls.

Fuu

Speaking of shortcuts, cmd+L being tied to both go to current song and show downloads is annoying me so much on iTunes. The downloads window overrides go to current song and I keep forgetting it's broken.

pj

Banned
Anyone with a 27 inch thunderbolt cinema display?

I can never wake my Mac from sleep mode while in clamshell mode connected to the Cinema Display.

Seems like a bug.

Is the laptop plugged in? I believe macs won't operate in clamshell on battery

Anyone else had this issue, I'm guessing it's trying to be retina on a non-retina screen, because...

This is a screenshot of a full screen app, and the save dialog box goes off the bottom of the screen. Although you can see it in this shot, you can't scroll down to it so have to use return or escape to save/quit the dialog box. I've tried logging out and in again and it persists.

It's literally too tall to fit on my screen. This wasn't the way until yesterday.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Anyone else had this issue, I'm guessing it's trying to be retina on a non-retina screen, because...

This is a screenshot of a full screen app, and the save dialog box goes off the bottom of the screen. Although you can see it in this shot, you can't scroll down to it so have to use return or escape to save/quit the dialog box. I've tried logging out and in again and it persists.

It's literally too tall to fit on my screen. This wasn't the way until yesterday.
Does it happen in every application or just Chrome?

Chrome and Opera so far. Safari seems ok but I run multiple web browsers so I can control various youtube channels without having to log in and out all the time.

kehs

Banned

Yup, I've had this problem since about two days ago on both chrome and opera.

Flo_Evans

jRKOzr2.png

This is only for people booting off a 3rd party SSD right?

Umm, I have show all filename extensions unchecked in my Finder preferences yet every single file on my computer is showing the extension. What am I doing wrong?

mrkgoo

Umm, I have show all filename extensions unchecked in my Finder preferences yet every single file on my computer is showing the extension. What am I doing wrong?
What happens if you check show all file name extensions?

Just making sure the files aren't just "image.JPG.jpg" or something (which has happened on some of my stuff due to how iPhoto transferred to aperture).

Other than that, check the "get info" (from right-click contextual menu) for a sample file. Each file I think has some sort of override.
Other than that I can only suggest a restart or a repair permissions and restart.

Top Bottom