• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

Sarye

Clean installed Yosemite on a Samsung EVO in a 2010 MBP. I should have gotten an SSD years ago what a diff.

Any of you cats enabling Trim in Yosemite. Apparently it's a bit of a chore and not worth the security risk.

I use TRIM Enabler and it works fine on Yosemite.

rawd

I use TRIM Enabler and it works fine on Yosemite.

The description of the authors own product had me in doubt of using it.

http://www.cindori.org/trim-enabler-and-yosemite/

I don’t want to disable a security feature! Is there no other way to get Trim?
Unfortunately not. It is important to note that disabling the kext-signing to enable Trim is best described as taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut, and for most users it will not be worth it. But I have been unsuccessful in creating a less invasive method to enable Trim, as all of Apple’s AHCI SATA drivers are closed source and undocumented, which makes it impossible for me to create my own Trim driver and get it signed. This is the only alternative for enabling Trim for the moment.

bionic77

Weird.

Battery life is back to normal today.

I wonder if it just took a long time for it to index again.

Thats a relief. I went with a Air in 2012 because of portability and battery life.

Now that battery life is good again I have no complaints with Yosemite.

So I'm really mad at the Wifi problems after upgrading to Yosemite.

Its like my wifi range decreased significantly. My room and the router are on the opposite side of the house but I never had wifi problems. Now if I'm not close to my door, I lose signal. Its so freakin annoying. All my other devices work, my iPhone and all but I have to now sit closer to the door to get good signal. Sometimes closing the damn door makes me lose signal.

I'm incredibly frustrated. Something is causing this interference and I cant figure out what. I never had this problem before upgrading.

The wifi on my Mini has been doing fine, but our MBP's wifi is constantly dropping out. The other night it was saying another device is assigned the MBP's IP address, but he'll if I can figure out what.
I just tried opening keychain access and letting all applications access the router. I'm not comfortable enabling that though.

Definitely seems like a problem a lot of folks are having though.

Number45

I definitely seem to be having better stability on the wireless on the 2.4Ghz channel as opposed to 5Ghz, although I haven't had much of a chance to test extensively since changing it.

Revoh

Handoff is working fine but SMS forwarding is not. I can't get the activation code to appear on my Mac. I've tried everything..
Also, I can't make calls from my Mac, it says my iPhone is not using the same Apple ID for iCloud and Facetime. It is..
Tips?

Ambitious

Having the same problem here. No change logs.

edit: Searched before about this, no work around yet, but seems to be a known issue.

Mine does that too. It's just a bug that in sure will get ironed out.

Same here. I too wasn't able to find a fix. Hopefully we don't have to wait too long for the update. I always read the changelogs before updating apps, and there are 40 pending updates already..

mrkgoo

Same here. I too wasn't able to find a fix. Hopefully we don't have to wait too long for the update. I always read the changelogs before updating apps, and there are 40 pending updates already..

you can still read them on the device, or go to the app in the store (right click)

Ambitious

you can still read them on the device, or go to the app in the store (right click)

I know, but I don't have all my apps on my iDevices. I keep lots of them solely in iTunes just in case there's a cool update that makes it worth installing again.
The app store workaround is a bit inconvenient as I've got so many updates already, but whatever. That'll do, thanks.

mrkgoo

I know, but I don't have all my apps on my iDevices. I keep lots of them solely in iTunes just in case there's a cool update that makes it worth installing again.
The app store workaround is a bit inconvenient as I've got so many updates already, but whatever. That'll do, thanks.

yeah, I'm kind of the same. keep some old apps around, and if an update seems significant with something new, I might reinstall. it's a way of seeing what they're doing with apps I don't have installed.

My iMac has been running damn slow since the launch of Yosemite. Im starting to panic as it really bugs me and bogs way down when i'm working on powerpoint, word, and even chrome for christ sake. Is it still indexing? Or is there something wrong with my instal? Ive posted an activity of my memory for you guys. Help is really appreciated. Thanks!

Some days are better than others i guess and i didn't post the CPU activity as its pretty non existent in terms of usage.

cpmc6Cl.png

Chuckpebble

I'm working with a 2009 Macbook, 2.13 Ghz with 2 GB of RAM and a spinny disk.

I'm positive that RAM and an SSD will help me out, but I've been waffling over that for so long now, I should probably just get a new machine instead.

Amazingly, though, the one thing I couldn't wait to upgrade for, iOS screen capture in Quicktime, works almost flawlessly. I have this ridiculous urge to record gameplay for some reason and this scratches that itch quite well. My one issue is that while recording gameplay I can only listen to audio on the MacBook, at a slight delay, which I'm finding takes some getting used to.

Number45

My iMac has been running damn slow since the launch of Yosemite. Im starting to panic as it really bugs me and bogs way down when i'm working on powerpoint, word, and even chrome for christ sake. Is it still indexing? Or is there something wrong with my instal? Ive posted an activity of my memory for you guys. Help is really appreciated. Thanks!

Some days are better than others i guess and i didn't post the CPU activity as its pretty non existent in terms of usage.
Chrome... doesn't seem healthy from that list. oO

I'm working with a 2009 Macbook, 2.13 Ghz with 2 GB of RAM and a spinny disk.

I'm positive that RAM and an SSD will help me out, but I've been waffling over that for so long now, I should probably just get a new machine instead.

The CPU is slow, so so long as its fast enough for what you want to do then RAM and SSD will be amazing upgrades. My 2010 Mini with the 2.4 GHz version of your processor (but with SSD + 8GB RAM) is fine most of the time, but it does hang in places that my Mac Pro and i7 MacBook Air don't.

I can try a screen recording of an iPhone game sometime if you'd like.

Ambitious

Notification Center, Today Widget: "The first item in your calendar today is .... and started over an hour ago." (Wording might be off, I translated it from German)

Gee, thanks. In fact, it started about five hours ago and ended about two hours ago. You're telling me this because..?

edit: Found another (minor) bug, I think. In Mavericks, when I received an email while the Mac was locked, the notification would just say "1 new email". Upon logging in, it would fade to the sender and subject. Now in Yosemite, it still says "1 new email" after unlocking the Mac..

For the love of god, has anyone got their Hotmail or Outlook account work with they Mail app?

I can't seem to find any of my emails in my inbox even though I add my account and no matter how I try it, I just can't get it to work.

Does it work for any of you guys?

thenexus6

For the love of god, has anyone got their Hotmail or Outlook account work with they Mail app?

I can't seem to find any of my emails in my inbox even though I add my account and no matter how I try it, I just can't get it to work.

Does it work for any of you guys?

Yeah my hotmail worked fine, I just added it via preferences in the app.

Get'sMad

I was getting mad because certain things were starting to move a little laggier on my late 2009 MBP (specifically mission control and my dock popping up from autohide and scrolling through a folder with lots of files in finder) but I fixed that because I guess when I installed it it defaulted back to using the lesser graphics card and not the better one with more memory and now everything is just dandy again.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Better than Chrome! I use Safari as my default, anyway.
I haven't touched Chrome since Mavericks when I finally said good riddance.

But FireFox is so outdated in the technology department now compared to Safari and Chrome. It's missing features the other two have had forever that they show no signs of implementing and it works so clunky. I use it for one thing and one thing only just because it is the only one with the extension I use to download videos from sites that aren't YouTube and Vimeo. (*wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*) Since it's the only browser that allows that deep integration to allow extensions like that to work. But it's fine because it also means I don't have to set Safari to private mode all the time so it's like a wall between my normal life and my secret life. And I'm fine with that.

But it's so old and no signs of being modernized. No separate processes. Fullscreen mode is broken. And if there's too many tabs it becomes unusable for watching video, but that might be a Flash problem, though it's probably Firefox itself.

But Chrome was removed pretty much instantly as soon as Mavericks and iOS 8 were released. I loved Chrome until like the 4-6 months preceding Mavericks when it became utterly broken in EVERY SINGLE BRANCH (And believe me, I tried them all) and it got to the point I couldn't wait for Safari 7. It took me a couple more months to finally get around to unsubscribing from the Chrome threads I was subscribed to.

What's the best (ideally free) app cleaner for OS X? Not sure what I had installed prior to my rebuild.
I have Hazel and it has this feature as an extra option. (Like how BTT has Windows snapping as an extra feature too.) It works great. And Hazel is well worth any money you spend on it. Automation is heaven.

Blackhead

Redarse
Firefox is still my fave browser (although the recent UI change really pissed me off and I haven't been had the time to customize back to how I liked it). I have too many useful extensions so I'll never switch lol.

I sometimes use Chrome for the translations feature or flash/plug-ins. I never use Safari as performance was always the worst for me (gif threads dead lol) and the UI is the worst unless you add system hacks to customize it

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I was looking around on Mac App Store for a simple timer/alarm app that has updated with Notification Center Widget support and I'm surprised I couldn't find any.

Majine

Banned
I was looking around on Mac App Store for a simple timer/alarm app that has updated with Notification Center Widget support and I'm surprised I couldn't find any.

The Mac App Store is such a disappointment in general, I feel.

50% of the apps are note taking apps.

They didn't even feel like updating the looks for Yosemite, which tells you the prio it has at Apple.

giga

The problem with the Mac App Store is the same problem with the [iPad] app store. Real, killer apps require extensive system access, which the sandbox nature doesn't provide. The iPad needs gatekeeper.

Get'sMad

yo

I thought your phone needed to be on iOS 8.1 to send sms through messages? but it just sent one via sms through messages even though I'm still rocking iOS 7.1 on my iphone.

Number45

So after a little more investigation this evening my "internet problem" (which I'd assumed to be the case as I've been having various problems over the last couple of months) is definitely a problem locally to the Mac. So I guess I'll wait for a patch to improve the wifi stability. :(

I like AppCleaner.
Thanks, this is what I had before.

I have Hazel and it has this feature as an extra option. (Like how BTT has Windows snapping as an extra feature too.) It works great. And Hazel is well worth any money you spend on it. Automation is heaven.
Thanks for the recommendation. I don't consider myself anything close to a power user on Mac though, so the other functionality isn't really of interest to me. :)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Thanks for the recommendation. I don't consider myself anything close to a power user on Mac though, so the other functionality isn't really of interest to me. :)
You don't really have to be a power user for Hazel. That's what it's for. It just allows you to automate things. Like clean out and organize your downloads. Move things to/from your DropBox/iCloud Drive/Google Drive for transferring between computers. Automatically add MP3s to your "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder. It also can keep your trash clean too. All kinds of stuff.

Sch1sm

yo

I thought your phone needed to be on iOS 8.1 to send sms through messages? but it just sent one via sms through messages even though I'm still rocking iOS 7.1 on my iphone.

Huh, weird. Should be iOS 8.1. If I were you I'd just take it and keep quiet.

Sanic

But Chrome was removed pretty much instantly as soon as Mavericks and iOS 8 were released. I loved Chrome until like the 4-6 months preceding Mavericks when it became utterly broken in EVERY SINGLE BRANCH (And believe me, I tried them all) and it got to the point I couldn't wait for Safari 7. It took me a couple more months to finally get around to unsubscribing from the Chrome threads I was subscribed to.

So Chrome isn't great again? I switched from Chrome to FF probably a year and a half ago due to some performance issues that weren't getting fixed (gifs, among other things). Apparently that stuff has been taken care of since.

Now, fullscreen in FF is broken and it's driving me up a wall. Safari's UI is terrible so I certainly can't switch over to that.

Fuchsdh

So Chrome isn't great again? I switched from Chrome to FF probably a year and a half ago due to some performance issues that weren't getting fixed (gifs, among other things). Apparently that stuff has been taken care of since.

Now, fullscreen in FF is broken and it's driving me up a wall. Safari's UI is terrible so I certainly can't switch over to that.

What gives you issues with Safari's UI? Granted, I've been using Safari exclusively since it came out so I could just be inured to it, but for my usage there's nothing that really bugs me about it (haven't switched to Yosemite but I know the smaller hidden by default URL will bug me.)

Get'sMad

Huh, weird. Should be iOS 8.1. If I were you I'd just take it and keep quiet.

yeah it hasn't let me send another one via sms...I also didn't do the one I sent intentionally. I was messaging with a friend who has an iphone and it got an error sending as an imessage for some reason and messages then sent it via sms.

i don't know if this is a yosemite problem or a facbeook issue but Facebook is constantly logging out and making me sign back in.

what gives? anyone know

Top Bottom