• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

panzone

I don't really know if I should use Chrome or Safari on my Macbook air with yosemite.

Safari consume less power but now Google only makes its things for Chrome (like 60 fps youtube or inbox).

A little part of me wants to completely switch into the Apple ecosystem but I use gmail as principal email

I don't really know if I should use Chrome or Safari on my Macbook air with yosemite.

Safari consume less power but now Google only makes its things for Chrome (like 60 fps youtube or inbox).

A little part of me wants to completely switch into the Apple ecosystem but I use gmail as principal email

60 fps is available on Safari too.

I can confirm that 60fps works on Safari. I just uploaded a cod video and it runs perfectly.

Jacobi

Banned
Safari runs pretty bad on my MBA... has severe lags, crashes... could be a RAM problem, I don't have any problem with chrome though

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Wasn't it a Chrome exclusive ?
Nope. It's a feature of HTML5 video utilizing a feature that both Safari and Chrome support. (And I hear IE.) But Firefox does not.

The whole "Only in Chrome" thing was made up by excited Chrome fanboys who thought they had something special for once and wanted to brag.

Ninja Dom

It's just the title of the YouTube 60fps thread on GAF says Chrome only.

I'm having an annoying problem with Yosemite and iOS 8. I've mentioned it before.

I just can't get my own Cover Art for TV Shows and Movies to consistently appear on my iPhone 6 after transferring from iTunes.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Don't know which topic to ask but I'll post here since its more active.

Does anyone know how to forward a VPN connection I've got setup on OSX to another device through Ethernet?

Does anyone know how to forward a VPN connection I've got setup on OSX to another device through Ethernet?

Some quick googling turned up these instructions. Similar to what I've done in Linux before. The native VPN client creates an interface which may not be called tun0 as used in the example, but otherwise that ought to work once you've got the interface name correct.

I'm curious how the Broadwell GPU will stack up against Maxwell in performance. (For example, is it the equivalent to a 950M, etc.?)

Edit: OK, fine. 940M?

On a similar note whats Iris like?

In some ways, like a 640M, except way more energy efficient, so if you cared about battery life, it was a no brainer. Driver support for games is of course worse though.

If it wasn't for the delay of Broadwell and (let's be honest) Skylake, Nvidia would have been screwed in a lot of aspects.

I would expect that the Broadwell Iris GPU will at least be equivalent to the 940M. Maxwell was an improvement over the Kepler architecture, but I'm not sure if it outpaced Intel.

Shit.

And I've had Yosemite installed since it came out. What the hell is going on? I can't cancel the process, and it's really fucking up my MBA; fans are constantly running and it kills my battery.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Wasn't it a Chrome exclusive ?
Not exactly, although it's odd since Opera has the same codebase as Chrome, it does not support it.

It's all based on the Media Source Extensions API, which Chrome/Safairi/IE have. There are three components that YT uses, which is MSE (obviously), MSE for MP4 (which is the key, since YT only encodes 60FPS in this format), and MSE for WebM (VP9).

Firefox's support for it is still preliminary and can be enabled through a configuration, but only for WebM. Opera currently has support for WebM, but not MP4. Therefore those two browsers cannot show the 60FPS videos.

Safari doesn't support open formats like WebM, so it supports MP4 by default.

sruckus

Shit.

And I've had Yosemite installed since it came out. What the hell is going on? I can't cancel the process, and it's really fucking up my MBA; fans are constantly running and it kills my battery.

Someone on another forum (Ars) had a similar issue I think. I believe they booted into safe mode or whatever it is and ran some terminal commands to stop the encryption. I'll try to find it if you can't dig it up.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Wondering if anyone has had this problem- in my Documents folder i have a heap of subfolders for different clients. If I update one, they ALL update (as in the 'date last modified' updates for all of them) so I can't view by date modified, basically. They all just sit at the top, no matter which folder I edit the contents of. Driving me insane.

Any ideas?

sruckus

The Messages app is a buggy POS. Everytime I bring it into focus and click on the box to respond to a message it jumps to the bottom of the screen. Annoying as shit.

Jimrpg

I've used Yosemite for a week now, its just about my favourite OSX. Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion were my favourites before that. Mavericks was pretty good too.

Looking at the features page, there doesn't seem to be as many new features as past OSX? And the features that are listed are more minor tweaks and additions than anything else.

Fuchsdh

I've used Yosemite for a week now, its just about my favourite OSX. Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion were my favourites before that. Mavericks was pretty good too.

Looking at the features page, there doesn't seem to be as many new features as past OSX? And the features that are listed are more minor tweaks and additions than anything else.

Well, you're getting a new OS every year. I expect cloud and continuity improvements and the complete UI overhaul were plenty on the to-do list.

Fuck it--I'm doing a clean install.

I've never actually used Time Machine, but I figure now might be the time to start. How does it work, exactly? If I format my MBA's hard drive, will I then be able to cherry pick files and applications from my Time Machine backup on an external HD?

sruckus

Fuck it--I'm doing a clean install.

I've never actually used Time Machine, but I figure now might be the time to start. How does it work, exactly? If I format my MBA's hard drive, will I then be able to cherry pick files and applications from my Time Machine backup on an external HD?

Clean install every yeah bruh. It's my yearly spring-cleaning and my machine is already destroyed and ready again every OS upgrade ha.

Clean install every yeah bruh. It's my yearly spring-cleaning and my machine is already destroyed and ready again every OS upgrade ha.

But does Time Machine let you pick and choose what you bring to the fresh install? I'm wondering if I have to prepare old versions of software I don't want to update.

sruckus

But does Time Machine let you pick and choose what you bring to the fresh install? I'm wondering if I have to prepare old versions of software I don't want to update.

Don't believe so. It's restore everything or nothing I believe with it. It's one reason why I keep another backup with Carbon Copy Cloner.

What I did this time was create a second partition with Disk Utility to install to, then manually copied over apps and my user folder files I wanted as well as some necessary settings in the app's respective application support directory

a little more involved

Phoenix

The new Safari crashes ALL THE TIME. Its amazing how unstable it is. At least it has the common decency to restart itself and get back to its 'pre crash' state when it happens.

I am glad that the latest Google Chrome updates have resulted in me not having to worry about Google Chrome Helper zombies eating up CPU and dying, resulting in the browser locking up. That bug was a complete PITA that took far far too long to get fixed.

Don't believe so. It's restore everything or nothing I believe with it. It's one reason why I keep another backup with Carbon Copy Cloner.

What I did this time was create a second partition with Disk Utility to install to, then manually copied over apps and my user folder files I wanted as well as some necessary settings in the app's respective application support directory

a little more involved

I do something similar. Back up using time machine but then manually go into the sparse bundle and pluck the files.

Err, can y'all explain this? I think this might be something I have to do (for Carbon Copy Cloner, specifically!).

sruckus

Carbon copy cloner does just that. it basically makes an exact copy (bootable even!) of your drive.

With Time Machine you can go into the .sparsedb folder and find dated versions of changes of your HD. It can work, but is messy because each date is only the changes I believe

With Time Machine you can go into the .sparsedb folder and find dated versions of changes of your HD. It can work, but is messy because each date is only the changes I believe

Thought it used hardlinks so everything is a full backup? Anyway I haven't tried it; have only used Migration Assistant from a TM backup once.

EmiPrime

I updated to the normal consumer 10.10 when it came out but I am still getting developer updates. Now on 10.10.1 (14B17). Anyone else?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I updated to the normal consumer 10.10 when it came out but I am still getting developer updates. Now on 10.10.1 (14B17). Anyone else?

I also got this but I couldn't click the "change" button in Portuguese, lol. Had to change the system language to English and restart to turn it off.

ibzZQcQGScadQR.png

Ambitious

Alfred users, I've created a small workflow that allows you to upload pictures to abload.de. The code is actually from this GitHub repo, which belongs to an Abload developer. However, I had to make a few very minor changes in order to make it work on OS X.

It's pretty barebones, but it works. Invoke it either from the file action menu, or via the "abload" keyword, which searches for image files.

Right now it only works with png and jpeg files, but adding new file types is easy enough. Just open the options of the file filter and the file action, respectively, and drop an image of the type you wish to add into the file type table.

Download Link

Carbon copy cloner does just that. it basically makes an exact copy (bootable even!) of your drive.

All I need to know is if I drag and drop Carbon Copy Cloner from my Applications folder to my external HD, will I be able to drag it back to my fresh OS X install? I want to keep the old, free version of the software.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I wonder what changes there are. I have that update available myself but am wondering if I should yet.

All I need to know is if I drag and drop Carbon Copy Cloner from my Applications folder to my external HD, will I be able to drag it back to my fresh OS X install? I want to keep the old, free version of the software.
You should be able to.

But I highly recommend purchasing the upgrade to 4.0. It is so much better and literally not even the same application anymore. It's a bigger change than when it went from a simple AppleScript Studio wrapper for rsync to what it has been for years. They went all out on this one and it's well worth the money.

Note that if you have 3.0 and it's registered you will get an upgrade price. You'd have to have a registered version since the free one, which hasn't been available for years, wouldn't even work on Yosemite. You'd need the latest 3.x version to have Yosemite support. I suspect you do. (When they started charging I emailed them about how I "paid" for it years prior and they gave me a serial key. I "paid" them $5 when it was donationware. But I was a loyal user. So when 4.0 finally became available to purchase I couldn't throw money at them fast enough. They deserve it.)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else have trouble doing two-finger scrolling on the left-hand side bar in the preview app to quickly move between PDF pages in the Preview app?

Ever since I installed Yosemite, I've had an issue where trying to scroll through the slides on that side bar results in a never ending loop of the last 10 slides or so. For example, if the PDF has 90 pages, I can only scroll up to page 75 and then it resets to page 90 on the side bar no matter how much I scroll. Really annoying.

Anyone been getting a grey screen which then takes ages to load back up?. I've been getting that recently and now, it won't boot up at all..

i'm using Chrome on Yosemite and I've just discovered the feature where if your do a three finger tap on a word, it brings up a definition

shit is awesome. has this always been here?

Zuly

i'm using Chrome on Yosemite and I've just discovered the feature where if your do a three finger tap on a word, it brings up a definition

Yup. This is a OS-level feature though. You can do it on any app and it brings up a definition.

NekoFever

I think it was added in Lion. I really miss it when I have to use Windows at work.

Ambitious

Yup. This is a OS-level feature though. You can do it on any app and it brings up a definition.

I don't need this at all, so I assigned the three finger tap to the mouse wheel click. That way, I can easily open background tabs in browsers. Generally, I'm using three fingers for in-app navigation, like three swinger swipes for opening/closening/switching tabs (not just in browsers).

Top Bottom