• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Otome Community Thread: Happiness isn't a limited commodity, my love is boundless!

Dee Dee

It is shocking, but at least the whole route won't make you go "OMG EW, WHY?!?!" :p. All the explanations are reasonable.

Explain:
"He's choking me, but it makes me really happy inside."
That was where the "eww" came in for me.

Also, "reasonable explanations" stands to argue in the face of "tragic guilt ridden back story No 3 - now with more guilt!".
Why am I arguing though - I love crazy plot. <3

I agree that it's not as bad as Toma's route. I just didn't expect it and am not happy with how the route turned out. He had some very strong gentle moments in the beginning chapters and I kinda hoped for something else.

Saphirax

Explain:
"He's choking me, but it makes me really happy inside."
That was where the "eww" came in for me.

Also, "reasonable explanations" stands to argue in the face of "tragic guilt ridden back story No 3 - now with more guilt!".
Why am I arguing though - I love crazy plot. <3

I agree that it's not as bad as Toma's route. I just didn't expect it and am not happy with how the route turned out. He had some very strong gentle moments in the beginning chapters and I kinda hoped for something else.

If I remember correctly that's the scene where you can get a bad ending for choosing not to resist. The whole point was that SG wanted to kill Cardia painlessly and immediately. He was still hesitating even as he was choking her because she resisted and he knew he couldn't do it. He wanted the easy way out and she wasn't about to give it to him. Seeing him so pained about doing his duty made her happy because she realized he actually loved her, even after she thought herself to be a monster.
I detest yandere characters but think that SG's route was well done.

If I remember correctly that's the scene where you can get a bad ending for choosing not to resist. The whole point was that SG wanted to kill Cardia painlessly and immediately. He was still hesitating even as he was choking her because she resisted and he knew he couldn't do it. He wanted the easy way out and she wasn't about to give it to him. Seeing him so pained about doing his duty made her happy because she realized he actually loved her, even after she thought herself to be a monster.
I detest yandere characters but think that SG's route was well done.

I see what you're saying but for me try as I might it's very hard to let go of for me. At the time it wasn't super clear or convincing to me that that's what was going on. Maybe if I played it again I might see it differently this time... but the burn thing was even worse because it was supposed to be sweet but it was kind of horrifying and ick lol

jzbluz

Interesting news - SP is working on a secret otome project. Wonder what it could be.

https://www.reddit.com/r/visualnove...anization_vn/dapyenm/?st=iw9rh09e&sh=887c169b

Didn't they license a monster boy title? I wasn't interested so I didn't really paid attention. Anyway, going by the BL titles that they licensed, and which they haven't even released, I'm not expecting anything worthwhile. I know it's a different genre and all, but I'm pretty sure the otome and BL markets overlap way more with eachother than with SP's main market.

Koriandrr

Upcoming English Otome Games
BZ5vPgf.jpg

PS Vita
Hakuoki: Kyoto Winds - Spring 2017
Code: Realize ~Future Blessings~
Period: Cube ~Shackles of Amadeus~ - Spring 2017
Collar x Malice
Bad Apple Wars

539oFKm.jpg

PC
Fashioning Little Miss Lonesome [18+]
Nightshade [Hyakka Hyakurou]
Taisho Alice

Thank you for this! When is Fashioning Little Miss Lonesome coming out?
Looks great!

Saphirax

Didn't they license a monster boy title? I wasn't interested so I didn't really paid attention. Anyway, going by the BL titles that they licensed, and which they haven't even released, I'm not expecting anything worthwhile. I know it's a different genre and all, but I'm pretty sure the otome and BL markets overlap way more with eachother than with SP's main market.

I think they did license some weird monster otome game. Would rather wipe that one from my memory.

Thank you for this! When is Fashioning Little Miss Lonesome coming out?
Looks great!

IIRC it's only around 40% translated and edited.

Koriandrr

DOUBLE POST: It seems like there's very few good titles on PC. Or maybe it's just me. I really loved Ozmafia!, Dandelion ~Wishes brought to you~ and Amnesia. Any other like that? :)

I'm a bit weird and I really enjoyed the controversial Brothel ending in Ozmafia. As well as Toma's route in Amnesia... please don't judge. T_T
But anything like that would be super appreciated.

EDIT: Not sure if it's been mentioned but there's a FREE Otome game on Steam:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/521470/

It's pretty short with only 3 routes, I finished all of them in about 10 hours. The artist is lovely, I'm following her on tumblr now :'D
Really enjoyed it.

Saphirax

DOUBLE POST: It seems like there's very few good titles on PC. Or maybe it's just me. I really loved Ozmafia!, Dandelion ~Wishes brought to you~ and Amnesia. Any other like that? :)

I'm a bit weird and I really enjoyed the controversial Brothel ending in Ozmafia. As well as Toma's route in Amnesia... please don't judge. T_T
But anything like that would be super appreciated.

While the (translation) quality is up in the air both Taisho Alice and Nightshade are supposedly releasing this month. They may get delayed, but both are really great games from what I've read. I'm not sure about TA, but from what I know Nightshade doesn't have any controversial characters.

eefara

But anything like that would be super appreciated!

If you enjoyed Dandelion, I highly recommend looking into Nameless ~The one thing you must recall~ by the same developer, also on Steam.

Saphirax

I think it'll be really hard for either campaign to reach their Vita stretch goals, but if the community doesn't work together, we'll be left with Steam releases.

Doesn't help that a lot of Vita users are wary of Kickstarters. There's also the issue of DI being digital only. Hopefully it gets more attention than SnK.

Shizuka

Doesn't help that a lot of Vita users are wary of Kickstarters. There's also the issue of DI being digital only. Hopefully it gets more attention than SnK.

We all have Sekai Project to blame. They poisoned the well for visual novel crowdfunding, unless you blow it out of the park like Muv Luv.

Saphirax

We all have Sekai Project to blame. They poisoned the well for visual novel crowdfunding, unless you blow it out of the park like Muv Luv.

Yeah, there are also a lot of sites not covering said Kickstarters. Sites like Gematsu etc would be good for visibility. Even LRG retweeting it more than once would do.

Shizuka

Yeah, there are also a lot of sites not covering said Kickstarters. Sites like Gematsu etc would be good for visibility. Even LRG retweeting it more than once would do.

I think LRG doesn't want to give it too much free advertising in case it gets a surge in cash but still doesn't reach the stretch goal.

Is there a story here with Sekai project?

They are a mismanaged company that had a bunch of visual novels with Vita stretch goals and despite some of those Kickstarters being almost three years old at this point, none of them have released on the Vita yet. Though a lot of their projects suffer from a ton of delays and issues so it's not just a Vita thing.

Koriandrr

Just found out that Period Cube has a character worse than Toma (Amnesia). #WhyGodWhy

Looking forward to it!
:'D
<- possibly the only person who enjoyed Toma. I actually left his route for last, thinking he'll be the boring 'childhood friend' but then I was in for a surprise...

Playing through Code: Realize for the first time now. I know I'm late. I'm cheap when it comes to Vita games, they're too expensive, but I've been eyeballing that one forever. Very sad to learn I have to finish all routes before I can romance Lupin. I guess my current order is Saint Germain->Van Helsing -> Victor -> Impey. Really not interested in Impey AT ALL, but sacrifices have to be done for Lupin. He's a top tier husbando.

Also, rant: why do all these games HAVE TO be vita? From development point of view it's so much easier, faster and cheaper to make pc games. Are otome games really not that popular on pc/steam?
I know in Japan they're all mostly handheld, but... considering we're talking about English releases, it doesn't hurt to try a different approach because it's just so much less hassle. Going through sony approvals must be like extra MONTHS of just sitting and waiting.

Ephidel

They don't have to be vita, but that's where a reasonable amount of the audience is, particularly the ones willing to be vocal and lay down cash. That's why devs court it.
And if they've chosen to court it, and if they've attained their funding by promising to make a vita version then they should make it.
If they attain their goals without courting that market and without making promises they can't keep then that's all well and good. I might prefer games on vita but that doesn't mean I won't support them elsewhere. But if they insist, as sekai did, that they are coming to my preferred platform and that's why they got my money I think I'd be entitled to feel a little misled and bitter that they're not materialising, because they obtained that money under false pretenses.

Looking forward to it!
:'D
<- possibly the only person who enjoyed Toma. I actually left his route for last, thinking he'll be the boring 'childhood friend' but then I was in for a surprise...

Playing through Code: Realize for the first time now. I know I'm late. I'm cheap when it comes to Vita games, they're too expensive, but I've been eyeballing that one forever. Very sad to learn I have to finish all routes before I can romance Lupin. I guess my current order is Saint Germain->Van Helsing -> Victor -> Impey. Really not interested in Impey AT ALL, but sacrifices have to be done for Lupin. He's a top tier husbando.

Also, rant: why do all these games HAVE TO be vita? From development point of view it's so much easier, faster and cheaper to make pc games. Are otome games really not that popular on pc/steam?
I know in Japan they're all mostly handheld, but... considering we're talking about English releases, it doesn't hurt to try a different approach because it's just so much less hassle. Going through sony approvals must be like extra MONTHS of just sitting and waiting.

One of my girlfriends wanted amnesia specifically for Toma and I was like GIRL WHY and she helped me understand the yandere thing a bit better lol. I still fucking hate it but I see now that it's harmless fantasy for some... I'd just rather they made more titles like Diabolik Lovers for people who enjoy being like stabbed and kicked and whatever the fuck by their boyfriends and kept the Tomas of the otome world relegated to those experiences. Or make it more mild like some of the stuff in Mystic Messenger if it fucking HAS to be there.

I personally prefer otome on handhelds because I like curling up on the couch with em, but it makes sense anyway for the Japanese market for otome to be so vita heavy.

Dee Dee

I had a relapse and I am playing Voltage Games again at the moment.
Got too burned out on Code Realize and dropped Lupin's route for now.

They have a lot of Christmas sales and released Spin Off stories for some of the older games that they had already dropped, so I am sucked right back in.
Their new F2P experiment "Liar!" is also kind of fun if not a bit unfair at times (you can't tell me you correctly guessed the 3rd liar at first try, that's bullshit). I have to finish the stamina based part before I can buy full chapters, at least I really hope that's how it works, because I am interested in buying several full character routes at this point.
I am on the 5th liar now, but won't progress any time soon because I need all my flirt stamina (that's not really what they call it ingame by the way) for the special Christmas event story.

Unfortunately I got a new laptop and can now play actual games. Crazy.
I dived right into Dragon Age Inquisition which I have been eyeing forever, for the most part for the romance options too.
Haha, their romance system is so basic, it's ridiculous.
After months of grueling hour long Otome wooing, I lolled when I got a "Let's date!" dialogue option after what seemed like 3 or 4 half-assed flirts during inappropriate circumstances and painfully awkward accompanying facial expressions. ("We lost so many good soldiers in that fight." -> pick romance dialogue option -> "But I am glad you are still alive." -> "Oh you! (&#9825;~&#9825;)/" )

Anyway, Cullen is such a cinnamon roll, what a precious puppy.
I will absolutely replay the game with a male character for Dorian though. He is so stellar, I praise the character designer for his moustache and his snark every time I play the game.

They have a lot of Christmas sales and released Spin Off stories for some of the older games that they had already dropped, so I am sucked right back in.
Their new F2P experiment "Liar!" is also kind of fun if not a bit unfair at times (you can't tell me you correctly guessed the 3rd liar at first try, that's bullshit). I have to finish the stamina based part before I can buy full chapters, at least I really hope that's how it works, because I am interested in buying several full character routes at this point.
I am on the 5th liar now, but won't progress any time soon because I need all my flirt stamina (that's not really what they call it ingame by the way) for the special Christmas event story.

I dived right into Dragon Age Inquisition which I have been eyeing forever, for the most part for the romance options too.
After months of grueling hour long Otome wooing, I lolled when I got a "Let's date!" dialogue option after what seemed like 3 or 4 half-assed flirts during inappropriate circumstances and painfully awkward accompanying facial expressions. ("We lost so many good soldiers in that fight." -> pick romance dialogue option -> "But I am glad you are still alive." -> "Oh you! (&#9825;~&#9825;)/" )

I will absolutely replay the game with a male character for Dorian though. He is so stellar, I praise the character designer for his moustache and his snark every time I play the game.

Cullen is second only to Alistair in the stable of Bioware husbandos. Glad you're enjoying him :'D I enjoyed his friendship with Dorian as well (and Dorian's rooting for us to get together).

Koriandrr

One of my girlfriends wanted amnesia specifically for Toma and I was like GIRL WHY and she helped me understand the yandere thing a bit better lol. I still fucking hate it but I see now that it's harmless fantasy for some... I'd just rather they made more titles like Diabolik Lovers for people who enjoy being like stabbed and kicked and whatever the fuck by their boyfriends and kept the Tomas of the otome world relegated to those experiences. Or make it more mild like some of the stuff in Mystic Messenger if it fucking HAS to be there.

I personally prefer otome on handhelds because I like curling up on the couch with em, but it makes sense anyway for the Japanese market for otome to be so vita heavy.

Is Diabolik Lovers available anywhere in English? I tried watching the anime but didn't really enjoy it, just made me want to play the game. I'm obviously that target audience lol give me a weird ass relationship any day. What I personally found beautiful about Toma is that he obsesses with you and his love is just too strong. He cannot breathe without you. I find that... beautiful. In its own sick, self-destructive way. Obviously I wouldn't do that irl... maybe. But let's call it a fantasy.

I rolled a male Inquisitor just to get to Dorian :'D
NO REGRETS <3

Cullen is second only to Alistair in the stable of Bioware husbandos. Glad you're enjoying him :'D I enjoyed his friendship with Dorian as well (and Dorian's rooting for us to get together).

Very true, but all that said, I actually enjoyed Sera the most... I think. lol

Is Diabolik Lovers available anywhere in English? I tried watching the anime but didn't really enjoy it, just made me want to play the game. I'm obviously that target audience lol give me a weird ass relationship any day. What I personally found beautiful about Toma is that he obsesses with you and his love is just too strong. He cannot breathe without you. I find that... beautiful. In its own sick, self-destructive way. Obviously I wouldn't do that irl... maybe. But let's call it a fantasy.

I rolled a male Inquisitor just to get to Dorian :'D
NO REGRETS <3

Very true, but all that said, I actually enjoyed Sera the most... I think. lol

Nope all my knowledge of Diabolik Lovers comes from online communities who translate it but I now completely undersfand why it will probably never make it over here. It's just too niche and borderline offensive compared to what we're used to over here I think. I don't have a problem with people indulging their Toma fantasies as long as no one comes away from that thinking it's a good way to be in your actual relationships (without the consent of all parties involved), I'm just gonna sideeye the fuck out of any such characters if I have to be part of it lol. But I'm glad some people can enjoy it at least.

Quillbell

Neo Member
Well there's the piracy issue to think about. The Vita hasn't been cracked yet (afaik), but as soon as you put your game on PC then it's much easier to pirate.

Also, for otome games, the PSP was huge, and developers want to try to replicate that. Handheld stuff in general is pretty popular in Japan.

If you haven't tried it already, I highly recommend Nameless if you're looking for good otome games on Steam. It's by Cheritz, the same company who made Mystic Messenger, and I actually like it better than MM because they have a lot more time to flesh out the characters and the relationships.

Koriandrr

Well there's the piracy issue to think about. The Vita hasn't been cracked yet (afaik), but as soon as you put your game on PC then it's much easier to pirate.

Also, for otome games, the PSP was huge, and developers want to try to replicate that. Handheld stuff in general is pretty popular in Japan.

If you haven't tried it already, I highly recommend Nameless if you're looking for good otome games on Steam. It's by Cheritz, the same company who made Mystic Messenger, and I actually like it better than MM because they have a lot more time to flesh out the characters and the relationships.

Ah thank you! I've played Nameless :'D

I've gone through the otome section on steam a few times, think I covered everything with half decent art. It's pretty sad, but I really can't force myself to play something with art I don't like.. :(

Vita games can easily be emulated on PC and still pirated this way though. I mean, where there's a will there's a way and all that, but I do think consoles in Japan in general are much more dominant and especially handhelds with female audiences. It's just become the platform for these types of games. I'd really like to see them move more to pc though :(

SouSouRocket - so there's some sort of diabolik lovers fan translation? I'd love to know more about that. I do think people like myself only see it as fantasy, definitely not #goals

Ah thank you! I've played Nameless :'D

I've gone through the otome section on steam a few times, think I covered everything with half decent art. It's pretty sad, but I really can't force myself to play something with art I don't like.. :(

Vita games can easily be emulated on PC and still pirated this way though. I mean, where there's a will there's a way and all that, but I do think consoles in Japan in general are much more dominant and especially handhelds with female audiences. It's just become the platform for these types of games. I'd really like to see them move more to pc though :(

SouSouRocket - so there's some sort of diabolik lovers fan translation? I'd love to know more about that. I do think people like myself only see it as fantasy, definitely not #goals

Yeah there is some Tumblr that has like entire loooong account of it if you just wanna read the story, it took me hours to get through it. That's ok to post here right?

Koriandrr

TY!

Finished Saint-Germain's route.... well. This was depressing.
I think I need something less serious next, maybe I'll try Impy in hopes of more humour, although I'm sure it'll get pretty dark fairly quickly. Trying to look at the bigger picture.

Saphirax

TY!

I think I need something less serious next, maybe I'll try Impy in hopes of more humour, although I'm sure it'll get pretty dark fairly quickly. Trying to look at the bigger picture.

Dem bad ending feels in Impey's route...

Quillbell

Neo Member
TY!

Hope you enjoy it. I went in thinking that Impey would be my least favourite but he grew on me really fast. He ended up tied with Lupin, I think.

pariah164

TY!

And I'm just here grinning like an idiot because Saint-Germain's route was my fave.

I mean, it's fairly simple. Handhelds are the market for otome in Japan, and Vita is the chosen handheld this gen (just like PSP was the chosen handheld last gen).

Aksys/IFI whoever else localize them for the west. Localize, as in take the text from the Japanese version and translate & edit into English. What you're asking them to do is localize AND port the games (which they sometimes do - Amnesia), but that's MONTHS of extra sitting and waiting while you pay an external studio to get your game up and running on PC.

Makes sense to me. I for one welcome our handheld visual novel overlords :p

(seriously though, PC/Vita is best compromise, and most games are doing that these days, so I think it's hardly an issue that a couple are still Vita-only for the time being).

Saphirax

I mean, it's fairly simple. Handhelds are the market for otome in Japan, and Vita is the chosen handheld this gen (just like PSP was the chosen handheld last gen).

Aksys/IFI whoever else localize them for the west. Localize, as in take the text from the Japanese version and translate & edit into English. What you're asking them to do is localize AND port the games (which they sometimes do - Amnesia), but that's MONTHS of extra sitting and waiting while you pay an external studio to get your game up and running on PC.

(seriously though, PC/Vita is best compromise, and most games are doing that these days, so I think it's hardly an issue that a couple are still Vita-only for the time being).

The more platforms the games are on the better, but it's disheartening seeing people who worked on the games having to tell fans not to pirate them. I'm curious to see what IFI will do with Hakuouki.

Koriandrr

Hmmm that's not really what I meant. I think. Now that I think more about it, what I mean is, develop the games on PC. From then it's an easy port to most consoles and very easy port to mobile, depending on what engine is used, but PC is the best starting point in terms of versatility. And I was mostly referring to western developers making otome games. If I was making an otome game, which I'd love to do and am in talks with in the long term with a bunch of friends to do it, I'd do it on PC as a start, then branch out. Don't think I'd kickstart it though. I'm saving for a budget for artist :'D

I don't think Saint-Germain's route was bad, I liked it, but it was very tragic overall. And as a pretty opinionated atheist, the whole subject made me more angry than it should've lol, took away from my romance experience.

So far loving Impy, a lot more than I thought I would. 2 chapters to go...

Shizuka

Well, western otome titles are all on PC, there's just Hatoful Boyfriend on Vita, but that's a PC title first and foremost.

Top Bottom