• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Our hands-on impressions of the Switch

m4st4

Thanks for your impressions, can't wait to see:

-UI (kind of weird that wasn't shown)
-VC details (including rumored GameCube!)
-This thing in my hand... playing new Zelda... on the go

Machina

Banned
The demo that blew my mind was the marble box.

Imagine you are holding a small wooden box, with x amount of marbles inside. As you move the box, you can feel them move and clack against each other.

The Joy-con can emulate this feeling incredibly well, I was able clearly feel three separate marbles rolling down the side of the Joy-con and then each hitting each other as they got to the bottom.

The 1-2-Switch marble box mini game asks you to guess how many marbles are in your joycon by moving it. Pretty much every time I could guess, even when there were 6-7 in there.

That was special, it even gave a false sense of weight due to the rumbles. I really like the tech.

The ice cube thing is legit.

More on the marble thing. At one point I had a single marble in the Joy-con, I was able to slowly roll.it around inside and clearly feel it in every area.

It was a strange sensation to hold the marble dead in the center, with a lot of balance! You'd could even feel the marble gain momentum as you tilted the Joy-con.

Only think missing is the clack sound because no speaker, but you really can feel it.

Genuine mind blown. I played that demo a lot.

latest

This needs to be spread far and wide. People need to know this is legit because I think when it was announced, it inspired a LOT of cynicism.

Alpha_eX

More on the marble thing. At one point I had a single marble in the Joy-con, I was able to slowly roll.it around inside and clearly feel it in every area.

It was a strange sensation to hold the marble dead in the center, with a lot of balance! You'd could even feel the marble gain momentum as you tilted the Joy-con.

Only think missing is the clack sound because no speaker, but you really can feel it.

This needs to be spread far and wide. People need to know this is legit because I think when it was announced, it inspired a LOT of cynicism.

It's being used in a mini game collection currently. Would like to see how it's used in a full fledged game.

harz-marz

Great write up! It's nice to see some positivity on here, most threads derail into the usual doom and gloom about Nintendo. This looks like a premium device with excellent build quality.

The lack of 3rd party support never bothers me as I believe most here will have a Nintendo console as their 2nd console. I think it will sell better than expected - more than the GameCube but less than the Wii.

Have mine pre ordered and cannot wait!

Alpha_eX

I was really excited for the rumble in the triggers for Xbox One but this tech makes that feel like an N64 rumble pack.

This is not vibrate slow or fast, it gives you the sensation in what seems like any point on the Joy-con, not just shake the whole thing.

Feeling the vibration from the top of your hand to the bottom, gives the sesntation of something moving inside.

I really hope this opens more unique gameplay and can finally introduce gaming to the visually imparied.

The other demo, safe cracking, was pretty good too but didn't really show off the strange feeling of something moving inside the Joy-con.

I can already imagine a few good applications in Zelda, not the least of which Fishing

Thing is I dont think Zelda uses it, although its difficult to judge right now.

Like I said at the bottom of the previous page the rumble is fantastic, but I hope Nintendo (and other developers) use it in a lot of titles so its not some forgotten feature in a few years.

fabprems

Imagine you are holding a small wooden box, with x amount of marbles inside. As you move the box, you can feel them move and clack against each other.

The Joy-con can emulate this feeling incredibly well, I was able clearly feel three separate marbles rolling down the side of the Joy-con and then each hitting each other as they got to the bottom.

The 1-2-Switch marble box mini game asks you to guess how many marbles are in your joycon by moving it. Pretty much every time I could guess, even when there were 6-7 in there.

That was special, it even gave a false sense of weight due to the rumbles. I really like the tech.

Would be great if you could, in Splatoon 2, "weight" your ink supply that way !

Alpha_eX

Anyone managed to check if screen is IPS ?

Not sure if it's IPS but I was shocked at how sharp and clear the screen is. Viewing angles are perfect, I didn't notice any lack of clarity at any angle.

For someone who hated every panel Nintendo have used, they finally got this one right.

Great write up! It's nice to see some positivity on here, most threads derail into the usual doom and gloom about Nintendo.

Can you blame them? Nintendo seems to be doing everything wrong. The controller haptic gimmick seems cool though, but I fear it will be underutilized.

It's great to hear that it's comfortable to hold. What were your impressions of the build quality? Did it feel durable? Does it have the sorta creaky cheap feeling like the 3ds, or did it feel closer to an ipad?

Not sure if it's IPS but I was shocked at how sharp and clear the screen is. Viewing angles are perfect, I didn't notice any lack of clarity at any angle.

For someone who hated every panel Nintendo have used, they finally got this one right.

Echoing this. The screen is top notch. Not comparable to screens on the 3DS or Wii U at all.

It's great to hear that it's comfortable to hold. What were your impressions of the build quality? Did it feel durable? Does it have the sorta creaky cheap feeling like the 3ds, or did it feel closer to an ipad?

It feels luxury and durable, thats the great thing about the console and the different controllers. Of course build quality will have to prove itself over the years. It does not have a cheap feeling but I also can't really compare it to an ipad. It is its own thing.

spekkeh

Banned
I love reading the impressions on the joycons. When we first heard the rumors, there were a lot of threads with mock-ups and I think nobody really found anything that would feel ergonomical in the different use cases. Most of us felt that it was a gimmick that would never be used. To hear Nintendo not only manage it but actually knock it out of the park is great. They really have some controller design wizards walking around there. Makes the €80 for the dual joycons also sound a lot less bad.

Holy fuck. Why aren't people talking about this more?

fabprems

latest

I remember that a few years back, there was some speculation that Nintendo would use some haptic rumble for the Wii U controller, maybe there's a connection between these rumors and the "HD" rumble ?

spekkeh

Banned
Can you blame them? They seem to be doing everything wrong. The controller haptic gimmick seems cool though, but I fear it will be underutilized.
Nah, it has gotten completely out of hand. There's a ridiculous hyperbole where everything gets framed negatively. There are genuine concerns yes, but most of what is going on on GAF is just unfettered shitposting right now. Mods should start acting IMO.

Nah, it has gotten completely out of hand. There's a ridiculous hyperbole where everything gets framed negatively. There are genuine concerns yes, but most of what is going on on GAF is just unfettered shitposting right now. Mods should start acting IMO.

The hyperbole on NeoGAF (was checking the forum on the way to the event and afterwards yesterday) wasn't comparable with how the press on their way to the event though about it and it wasn't comparable to how the press though after the event. There are some drawbacks, mostly on the software side, but I haven't heard a lot of negativity about the system itself.

Myself and some colleagues were a bit shocked on the negativity on GAF to be honest. But either way, GAF is part of the consumer public so its all fair game.

Alpha_eX

The milk demo uses the rumble too, I was able to get 14 cups of milk due to the rumble giving accurate feedback to how well you were doing the motions.

I can't really articulate the demo well, but you got a sense that doing the motions and inputs a certain way made more milk come out in a single pull.

It was weird, but I instantly knew doing things a certain ways gave less milk so I changed the method and got more.

The average score was 4 cups.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Concerns were about the screen not so long ago. End result is, it gets praised left and right.

Machina

Banned

Well that negativity didn't take long to arrive.

I'm certainly not afraid to criticize Nintendo, the price of everything from the console to the accessories to paid online were all terrible decisions, but I am nothing if not determined to look at the Switch from a balanced view. There are clearly interesting positives to discuss as well as negatives and by the looks of things, this HD Rumble feature is being criminally overlooked.

deleted

Yes, I played it on that table with 7 other players in one race. It wasn't hard to set up at all, although the systems were all contected already obviously so I can't speak about that.

But when you begin the race everyone selects a racer and then chooses a track, and the game will then randomly choose a track out of the tracks players chose. We've played race, haven't played the battle mode.

Next to the roundtable there was a television with one Switch and there two people could race against each other so you can play against each other on one Switch yes. I noticed no lag.

Thanks for the impressions!

The bolded is not exactly what I meant :p Do you know if you could set up 4 switches in the same way as those 8 and play Mario Kart with 8 players on those 4 Switches?

Thanks for the impressions!

The bolded is not exactly what I meant :p Do you know if you could set up 4 switches in the same way as those 8 and play Mario Kart with 8 players on those 4 Switches?

Ah! No idea, we were confined to the set up at the event.

harz-marz

The hyperbole on NeoGAF (was checking the forum on the way to the event and afterwards yesterday) wasn't comparable with how the press on their way to the event though about it and it wasn't comparable to how the press though after the event. There are some drawbacks, mostly on the software side, but I haven't heard a lot of negativity about the system itself.

Myself and some colleagues were a bit shocked on the negativity on GAF to be honest. But either way, GAF is part of the consumer public so its all fair game.

I really don't get the hyperbole at all either.

The device is more powerful than a Wii U, which had some stunning games. You can also play these games on the go, and this is a HUGE upgrade from a 3DS.

The price is a premium but is competitive when you compare it to an iPad or similar tablet. I get that Nintendo are pushing this mainly as a "home console" but you can't just include a screen, battery etc without pushing costs up.

.hacked

Man if the switch has a web browser, Netflix and youtube players available this thing is going to rock.

Alpha_eX

Has anyone put their hand to the vent on the top of the console? It's something Ive not seen anyone mention.

Didn't notice much heat on Splatoon and Mario Kart, demo stations had been running for a few hours at that point.

Didn't notice any fan noise or anything either

Didn't notice much heat on Splatoon and Mario Kart, demo stations had been running for a few hours at that point.

Didn't notice any fan noise or anything either

Correct, didn't notice the fan.

Like I said earlier the Switch got kinda warm on the backside during my Zelda playthough. Wasn't bothering me at all and it wasn't HOT, just warm.

eXistor

Good impressions, thanks! I really do think Nintendo can get a decent sized hit with the Switch if they can keep up momentum, they really can't afford any major crap-ups anymore. I think the showing was good enough, but they really need to keep this train going with new announcements throughout the year.

Alpha_eX

Snippercutters really deserves more recognition. I absolutely love the game, it's co-op madness, challenging and oh so adorable.

Feels all kinds of right with those dinky joy-cons.

Pure joy!

If the new Zelda doesn't utilize the haptics that would be such a missed opportunity to incentivize that version over the Wii U.

Kentuchi

Neo Member
I'll quote myself on that:

Well the previews I write for the gamesites aren't positive 100 percent. I praise the system and write that the games line-up needs to be fleshed out more, so there's that. NeoGAF is right on that I think.

Yes definitely the game line-up should have been better and neogaf is right on thar, also that paid online service is cause for concern but we still don't know how consumers would react, neogaf so far generally thinks this is DOA but I haven't gotten that sentiment outside gamer circles, it's like two different worlds.

Especially as I'm more aware of the echo chamber effect of online communities these days it does feel like we shouldn't as a community be so quick to say this isn't going to be successful for Nintendo long term.

Thanks for the hands-on. I've felt like avoiding GAF for the last day and a half because I just couldn't take the negative echo chamber.

This stuff all sounds excellent and it's nice to hear some solid hands-on. Looking really forward to Zelda in ... 48 days (holy shit!)

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
If the new Zelda doesn't utilize the haptics that would be such a missed opportunity to incentivize that version over the Wii U.
Gizmodo says you can feel you're climbing up a hill. Subtle things like this should make playing the game more visceral.

I'll quote myself on that:

Well the previews I write for the gamesites aren't positive 100 percent. I praise the system and write that the games line-up needs to be fleshed out more, so there's that. NeoGAF is right on that I think.

I would like to read some of your thoughts on these issues:

What do you think about online paywall?
The one game a month that you lose after a month?
Storage space?
Cost of accessories and controllers?

Do you think any of these will be a factor in the success of this device?

vsMIC

many thanks for your write up and positive impressions. nice to read the positives, although i share your concerns about the launch line up. unfortunately N did not tell much about VC which could make up a bit for the line up.

but honestly i was one of the believers anyway and zelda cemented my day one order (first N console since gamecube).

Social

So yeah, dumb idea to get it on launch, best wait until it has matured a bit and the OS has received a few updates. Looking like a holiday 2017 or early 2018 purchase depending on the e3 games and price cuts.

I would like to read some of your thoughts on these issues:

What do you think about online paywall?
The one game a month that you lose after a month?
Storage space?
Cost of accessories and controllers?

Do you think any of these will be a factor in the success of this device?

Sure, no problem.

About the online paywall / one game a month deal: difficult to say without knowing the specifics. What will the online infrastructure of the Switch offer? We have to know that before making conclusions. If they've just said 'well, Sony and Microsoft put it behind a paywall so we will too', they've lost the plot, because Sony en MS offer online options that have been expanded and perfected over the course of multiple generations. If Nintendo can offer a similar online experience, they're in the right for asking money. As far as the one game a month deal goes I would have done things differently. I would have offered the entire VC line-up free of charge for everyone getting a Nintendo online subscribtion. An Onlive type of deal, where you pay monthly to play online AND to play all VC games free of charge. It may not be the most profitable but Nintendo needs to hit it out of the park this generation.

Storage space is difficult to say if it will become a problem, but 32 GB isn't a lot and it kind of baffles me because Nintendo has been earning a lot money from selling their full priced games digital.

The price of the controllers and stuff is too high imo. Perhaps its needed to make it profitable with all the technology in the controllers, but its just too high compared to what people are used to when buying controllers.

I don't really think all these things are important when facturing in the overall success of a console. Its all about trying to create a hype and you do that with a great console and great games. The great console is there, no doubt, the great games are coming but we haven't seen enough. 2017 is still a bit empty. They need to change that, perhaps they are doing that and they haven't showed everything yet, especially third party wise, but that would be strange as third parties have nothing to gain by keeping their games a secret now, especially since the console is coming out in 7 weeks.

random25

Gizmodo says you can feel you're climbing up a hill. Subtle things like this should make playing the game more visceral.

Nice to hear it's applied on Zelda, and Mario Kart 8 as well per GX's impressions. Like I said in the other thread about HD rumble, I am hoping that more games use this feature pretty extensively.

orioto

Good Art™
Something i wonder. Does the next gen vibrations work when the joy-cons are plugged to. Cause of not that's kind of a waste.. I can see already really few games will use the motion control in 2 or 3 years..

Top Bottom