• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Our hands-on impressions of the Switch

ChaosXVI

Wow! So glad to hear that the HD Rumble stuff isn't just some "Blast Processing" type shit, because even though I thought the Conference went well, and am super hyped to buy the system, I just assumed the ice cube stuff was complete and utter bullshit like most people. I really do think 1 2 Switch should be a pack-in game, I don't understand at all why it isn't. It's not a game I expect anyone to seek out unless it came with the console.

Loving the impressions. You guys sold me on ARMS!

Glad I am taking the time now to let everything sink in. ARMS does indeed look a lot better after reading the feedback and seing more of it in action. I'm hoping there is some real challenge in the game, in fact all games. I miss the old Punch-Out and this looks like a reincarnation of that.

balohna

Those three points though, GAF is fully justified in slamming Nintendo for it. It felt one sided yesterday because it held back the discussions about the quality of the system and the games that are there, but they are valid points, as I also point out in my impressions. Meh you know this as well, but just wanted to make that clear that I'm not 100 percent rosy on the subject.

It doesn't help that you'll see some people jumping in every thread, or returning to a thread repeatedly to argue with others' more positive posts. Valid complaints for sure, but it can get a bit out of hand. The 1-2-Switch thread had one dude that posted about a dozen times over several hours despite not being interested in the game.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
I've left the event so I can't really talk much more as I'm driving in the car. But two quick things. Number one, ARMS is amazing! Game of the event for sure. Number two Anouma-San is at the afternoon NYC event.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Parked so let me add some stuff,

The Switch has a solid feel, the screen is fantastic ad the joycons are small, but very usable. Oh and secret game of the show is Snipperclippers. Don't sleep on this one. I'm willing to bet this game will allow for custom stages.
In addition to meeting Martin from Shin'en, I got a pic of my son with Ono-San (+ a Capcom USA) and got a chance to rap with Damon Baker from NOA (whose #Nindies shirt will eventually be stolen by me)

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Is the screen plastic or glass?
I'm pretty sure it was glass, but I never touched the screen.
Edit:
Me said:
So sad I didn't had the chance to play this yesterday, I liked the Wii U-game but it felt a liiiittle low on content, but this seems awesome! Do you know if its a retail release as well? Would love to get an F-Zero type racer on launch.
I will ask Martin, if he is still here. I had to stop playing Zelda. Got as far as Link waking up when I realized oh shit!!! Ono-San is on stage!
I forgot to mention that I bumped into Martin before I left. Sadly, he said that because they ar a small company, the game would be eShop for now (btw breaking news, they are keeping the branding of the digital store name eShop. Martin spoke to a Brand Ambassador who confirmed it inrmternally). So please get this digitally, if you want to support the devs.

Oh yeah, Has Been Heroes just fucking works on Switch. High level play of this is going to be fun to watch/achieve. Disgaea 5 is so pretty/prinny, but I couldnt sink my teeth in at this event.

I'm sold! (But I'm bias,so yeah...)

_Clash_

I was quite a fan of the split Wii remote and nunchuck combo.

Do we know how viable it is to play with a joy con in each hand without the grip?

meppi

I was quite a fan of the split Wii remote and nunchuck combo.

Do we know how viable it is to play with a joy con in each hand without the grip?

I concur. I was just talking about this last week how I missed being able to play games with my hands besides me instead of grasping a controller.
It's somehow much more relaxing that way.

And I've seen plenty of videos now of people playing all kinds of games in that configuration so it looks like it will be a viable option which makes me very happy.

One question, are the Joy Cons able to make sounds as well?
From what I've heard they don't have any speakers.

_Clash_

I concur. I was just talking about this last week how I missed being able to play games with my hands besides me instead of grasping a controller.
It's somehow much more relaxing that way.

And I've seen plenty of videos now of people playing all kinds of games in that configuration so it looks like it will be a viable option which makes me very happy.

From what I've heard they don't have any speakers.

Excellent! Sounds like I'll never need to use the grip or pro controller then

Sinnick

Nah, it has gotten completely out of hand. There's a ridiculous hyperbole where everything gets framed negatively. There are genuine concerns yes, but most of what is going on on GAF is just unfettered shitposting right now. Mods should start acting IMO.

IMO, it's a combination of astroturfing and console warriors losing their mind. It's been going on as far back as the Wii's unveiling. In fact, the few times I investigated someone's posts on here (during the Wii era), I could link them to Microsoft.

This isn't to say that Nintendo's systems are flawless. There's definitely room for criticism. However, there comes a point where it's obvious that some people are being deliberately dense or hyperbolic. There's a reason they're acting that way.

IMO, it's a combination of astroturfing and console warriors losing their mind. It's been going on as far back as the Wii's unveiling. In fact, the few times I investigated someone's posts on here (during the Wii era), I could link them to Microsoft.

This isn't to say that Nintendo's systems are flawless. There's definitely room for criticism. However, there comes a point where it's obvious that some people are being deliberately dense or hyperbolic. There's a reason they're acting that way.

Links plz?

Sorry if this has already been asked but did you see an option for a web browser anywhere on the Switch home menu? Great impressions btw, you sound cautiously optimistic (rightly so) but very happy to hear how high quality the design of the system is.

Kevin

A question I have no seen answered anywhere, how is the sound on the tablet? How does it compare to the Wii U gamepad? It may have been difficult to hear in the busy event environment but if anyone has any ideas, that would be good to know.

A question I have no seen answered anywhere, how is the sound on the tablet? How does it compare to the Wii U gamepad? It may have been difficult to hear in the busy event environment but if anyone has any ideas, that would be good to know.

Don't expect anything higher quality than Wii U gamepad, TBH. The speaker amplifiers on small devices tend to have low and high cut filters that slice out anything lower than 400Hz and higher than 10kHz so they don't blow out the tiny little drivers.

KtSlime

It was a lot of fun getting to try. I played Mario Kart on TV mode and handheld mode, and the coop cutting game (not sure what it is in English) in table top mode. The screen was nice, and it was. If enough that 2 people could easily share it in table top mode. Didn't get to hear the sound well because of all the noise. The machine is surprisingly light, and while it is big, it's not so big that it can't be one handed for a bit.

The controls were comfortable, and the rumble felt nice, but I didn't get to try out 1•2 Switch, so I didn't get a good demo of the HD rumble tech.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Don't expect anything higher quality than Wii U gamepad, TBH. The speaker amplifiers on small devices tend to have low and high cut filters that slice out anything lower than 400Hz and higher than 10kHz so they don't blow out the tiny little drivers.

Is there a headphone jack?

Sorry if this has already been asked but did you see an option for a web browser anywhere on the Switch home menu? Great impressions btw, you sound cautiously optimistic (rightly so) but very happy to hear how high quality the design of the system is.

Not coming, at least not for first. I think that multiple media outlets have covered that. Some Ninty dude have said so.

This forum is full of Nintendo haters and paid shills who shit on rival consoles, it is easy to see. Why mods don't purge them, I don't know why.

This is about the only topic where people with ACTUAL experience with the console have been able to relay the positives.

Nintendo seems to try to advertise this as a gaming device solely, just like vern and NateDrake told us before. And it is well and good.

And there is buttloads of games coming for Switch, in this year alone! I mean, if you look only the presentation it looks little light on the games side (there was that sizzle reel tho with many game), but there is dozens (of us!) of games already advertised for the Switch.

Steep is coming, Rocket League is coming, lots of jrpgs are coming... They just spread them for once so they don't drown in the sea of Mario and Zelda and Snipperclippers and other high profile Nintendo games.

Please ask if it can be charged while on the kickstand

Unfortunately no. But there's a sort of light dock like for Wii U Gamepad and you'll be able to charge it while playing in a sort of Tabletop mode too.

Here's what I'm thinking about:
1484086092-1573099-batterijen-hori-playstand-black-nintendo-switch-nsw-029u.jpg

Edited with impressions

Now my impressions (used same parts as OP).
Please note that I've only watched the Presentation and no other things (trailers, hands on, details...).

The system
- Simple design but doesn't look cheap or like a toy at all. Colored Joy-Cons are nice in my opinion because it gives a way to differentiate Switch with all the other grey/black tech things we all have (if you like flashy colors then go for it).
- Screen is good but you clearly see that it's not full HD or even bigger resolutions we're used to have on smart devices /tablets. It's not something you notice while playing but in my opinion it makes the Switch only to be a gaming system.
- Everything seems very solid, even the way the Joy-Cons are attached that bothered me in the first place is very well done (things won't move while playing for sure).
- Joy-Cons are very small (analogue sticks are quite close to buttons) but for simple controls games it's not an issue. Now for long sessions or more complex gameplay it'll be more complicated. But devs are not stupid and the "one" Joy-Con" controls seem to be available only for the games that can be enjoyed using it. Also even if I thought about it when I took one Joy-Con for the first time, it's never been an issue. Some will complain and I won't say it's not understandable but it's not like you can't play (I'm 1m82cm tall and I have quite big hands).
- Haven't played with Pro Controller.

The games
- Super Bomberman R: don't need to say a lot imo. If you enjoy Bomberman then you'll have fun with this one. We've played 4 player and it was very very fun. I had memories of the old Saturn or PS games I used to play during lunch time at high school. Will buy it but with the current pre order price I can understand that a lot may pass...
- Snipperclips: good surprise for me since I've tried this only because everyone was rushing to play Zelda at first (2 hours queue...). The game is very fun and concept is very nice. For 19.99 I'll bite if it's not totally unplayable alone (game is way more fun with others but if there's a little story mode then perfect).
- Mario Kart 8 Remixed: battle mode alone makes the game a day one purchase for me. Two items changes a little the gameplay and strategies but most of us are used to it (Double Dash). Rest are nice additions but it feels like some other DLC. Good thing is that in this version there's all Wii U's content plus the new stuff. Really even if you played a lot on Wii U it's a must have.
- ARMS: very simple controls at first but you can have many different strategies here. I really want to know more details because the game is very good but it may lack content. I want to be convinced because the concept is good.
- Splatoon 2: feels really good to play on Switch even using the gyro and sticks. New additions are great and DLC will come but it really is a sequel. I'm not used to see Nintendo games to feel as much as a sequel as this one but I can reassure you, the additions are worth it.

Haven't played Zelda (blackout mode since Presentation's trailer) and haven't tried 1-2 Switch games myself but a friend told me that even if it's very simple games it made him realize what they where implying with "HD" Rumble. He told me it's quite impressive (Count the balls) but he doesn't see in which game or for what it could be used in similar ways in bigger games. I think and hope Mario will have many surprising mechanics using "HD" rumble.

My conclusion
- System is of good quality and screen is ok. Playing some of these games anywhere is already a major selling point for me.
- Joy-Cons are really something new but they are a bit small for complex games when used alone. Don't know when attached to make a controller but on Switch controls are very good. I may need some time to know exactly where sticks are (especially right one) but it bothered me only in Splatoon 2 and my Team won and I had a 8 to 1 ratio so...
- Not that many games but you can easily have 2-3 on launch that you'll enjoy. Then there's clearly at least one per month that is a must have imo (2017 here and only announced games).

Buy or no buy?
You like Nintendo games >> why do you ask? day one. Many great Nintendo games coming and Zelda !!!!
You like Japanese games (and not Nintendo games to the point to be in 1st category) >> wait for more solid release dates for the great Japanese games already listed
You like Western games (and Nintendo games... bla bla bla) >> wait... or maybe build a PC and you'll never have to ask this question again :p

Sorry wrote this without a lot of time to read again for proper phrasing and better details but if questions don't hesitate I'll tell you (games or system).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Went to the London preview event this morning. Thanks Nintendo for the tickets, it was a nicely put together event. Bonus props for the free fish and chips!

I decided to try and maximum my playing time, so left Zelda to the end so ended up hardly playing it as the show slot came to a close while it was my go.

Believe the hype. 1,2,Switch Milking is indeed the defining game of the generation. Though I admit I don't see myself getting 1,2,Switch myself. Got my fill from the event really (played every game apart from safe cracking). Then again I don't really host large gaming parties. Oh yeah, and the ball bearing games is as others have said, really cool. Will have to see how other games going forward take advantage of this.

The Joycons are nice to hold, though it may take a little used to learning which way to hold them depending on the game. Games like ARMS felt like you were switching between two position as you moved from menu to game. Playing them as mini controllers feels fine despite their small size. One negative though is that the wrist strap loop did dig into my finger a bit, though that's easily solved by simply not using the wrist strap.

Didn't get to play with the cradle config (don't remember even seeing it) so can't say if it's a perfectly fine substitute for the Pro Controller as I know many are a bit taken back by the price for that.

Playing in kickstand mode will really depend on how you set it up. It did feel on some stands, like Mario Kart and especially Bomberman, that it was a bit too far away. It's a small screen so you may want it close to you. Snipperclips, on the other hand, with its big bold shapes, was easy to play like this.

The red and blue colours for the joycons look really nice in real life. Still a bit on the fence about the asymmetrical look when they're attached to the screen, but its growing on me.

Oh yeah, and I did my part for the Isabelle army by coming first in an 8 player MK8 grandprix. The guy who came in second, Mr Tanooki Mario, sure was salty about it.

JaseMath

What are your thoughts on the Pro Controller?

Engadget in particular said it felt great in the hands, but also said the sticks were overly stiff and the buttons weren't very tactile. Were those your takeaways as well?

Cuningas de Häme;228406766 said:
Not coming, at least not for first. I think that multiple media outlets have covered that. Some Ninty dude have said so.

This forum is full of Nintendo haters and paid shills who shit on rival consoles, it is easy to see. Why mods don't purge them, I don't know why.

This is about the only topic where people with ACTUAL experience with the console have been able to relay the positives.

Nintendo seems to try to advertise this as a gaming device solely, just like vern and NateDrake told us before. And it is well and good.

And there is buttloads of games coming for Switch, in this year alone! I mean, if you look only the presentation it looks little light on the games side (there was that sizzle reel tho with many game), but there is dozens (of us!) of games already advertised for the Switch.

Steep is coming, Rocket League is coming, lots of jrpgs are coming... They just spread them for once so they don't drown in the sea of Mario and Zelda and Snipperclippers and other high profile Nintendo games.
Rocket League? I did not see it the software line up trailer.

Cuningas de Häme;228406766 said:

Ok, so web browser will be coming a bit later like 3DS? That's OK, I just hope it's as good as the Wii U's HTML5 browser. Thanks for your impressions, I'm excited for the Switch and I'm sure it will get a lot more games including a nice selection of JRPGs.

Edit: Also just read the post about the "marble box" demo/game, stuff like this actually makes the HD rumble sound awesome and innovative, it's too bad extra Joycons are so expensive, they need to at least offer individual Joycons at $40 each or something.

Thanks everybody for the detailed impressions!

Everything seems to indicate that the hardware itself is very impressive, which is a great sign for a Nintendo system. The lack of games, especially in March, is my biggest worry but then again Zelda will hopefully last me through Spring. I feel like 1, 2, Switch needs to be a pack-in game though for mainstream success of the console. Very strange decision.

If anyone else is going to try it out anytime soon can you tell us a bit about how easy it is to play with two Joy-cons in a split control scheme? I'm curious how it feels to play something like Zelda in that control scheme, since it's reminiscent of the Wiimote-Nunchuk scheme which was so ridiculously comfortable.

Also, any HD rumble in Zelda? I've heard from some people that there is some, I'm curious about more details there. And the HD rumble works in handheld mode, right? Where the Joy-cons are attached to the tablet?

Thanks again for the impressions!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
What are your thoughts on the Pro Controller?

Engadget in particular said it felt great in the hands, but also said the sticks were overly stiff and the buttons weren't very tactile. Were those your takeaways as well?

Felt fine to me, but I only used it for one game of Splatoon and a really quick go on Zelda. Didn't really think to analyse it. Didn't have any problem with the sticks, but I don't know what Eurogamer consider "stiff".

xandaca

I played the Switch at the last London event and since my feelings are a bit different from a lot of others 'round these parts, I thought I'd revive this thread. So you know where I'm coming from, my plan before going in was to possibly buy the Switch around Christmas if the price of the console and accessories had dropped sufficiently and more non-Wii U games were available. I'm a lifelong Nintendo fan starting from the NES and have never owned a non-Nintendo console (aside from some PC gaming, if you count that). I've bought every Nintendo home console apart from the NES at launch. So the Switch...

Hardware: First impression, this thing, in its dock, is tiny. Even though it makes sense knowing its dimensions, I wasn't prepared for how small the thing actually is in real life. The dock design is more functional than sleek, with the Switch logo plonked slightly bluntly on the front, but it's not ugly by any means and won't look out of place among other entertainment machines. In its handheld mode, even strapped down at the event, it's fairly light and very thin. Probably too big to fit comfortably in a back pocket, but perfectly portable in terms of weight at the very least. Might fit in a big coat pocket at a stretch. Switching between home console and portable mode is thrillingly quick and fluid.

The screen is bright, with vibrant colours and seemed to have good viewing angles. Having played MK8D and Zelda (briefly) in handheld mode, it's very easy to play on. There are downsides, though: the buttons and sticks feel like they've been slightly reduced in size and closed together, and the shoulder buttons in particular feel undersized and a little close together. The placement of + and - at the top also feels unusual, but something that probably won't take long to adapt to. The sticks feel low, tight and a bit cheap, making it that bit more difficult to be as precise as would be ideal. It's not bad per se, and I had more or less adapted to them by the end of the event, but even then, they felt like a noticeable step down from those of the Wii U gamepad or the Switch pro controller, which, with vastly superior sticks, less cramped button layout and actual D-Pad, thereby becomes an essential investment for completely comfortable home play. As for HD rumble, it's very impressive when you notice it (see 1-2-Switch, below), but as with the Wii U rumble, I didn't notice anything at all while playing Zelda or MK.

As for the joycons, I didn't get to play Snipperclips and therefore didn't play a game with a horizontal joycon, but quickly playing around with one held that way while waiting for ARMS to load felt more comfortable than expected and the shoulder buttons were fine with the strap attachment on. Without anything to rest in the palms, I'm not entirely convinced such a play method is designed or suitable for long play sessions, but on very preliminary examination, their small size was less obstructive than expected. Vertically, they're remarkably comfortable, slipping easily into the hand. The lack of weight and depth gives them a slightly odd lack of heft, but while they're not as satisfying a freehand experience as the Wiimote + nunchuck, they should prove a perfectly fine alternative. They're best placed inside the grip, of course, even if the dodgy sticks and slightly cramped design remain.

TLDR hardware impressions: The size and versatility of the Switch's control options are hugely impressive and as a handheld, it's terrific, but as a home console, the overly compact button layout and unsatisfying sticks make it a clear step down from the Wii U. The pro controller amends all these issues and is highly recommended for home users, but is a major additional outlay. 6/10

GAMES

1-2-Switch: I had more fun with the three games on offer than expected, particularly the cowboy duelling game and cow milking, but everyone saying this should've been a pack-in is spot on. These are fun but entirely throwaway experiences with app-like visual stylings and no depth beyond what is immediately apparent. The flawlessly responsive motion controls mean each experience at least works perfectly and they're certainly good for a laugh. The tension of cowboy duelling and generally silliness of the milking minigame should be good for drunken amusement but have nowhere near the nuance or durability of Wii Sports Tennis, Bowling or Golf. The HD rumble is at its most impressive in the minigame where you have to judge how many balls are inside a sealed box, but it's incredibly easy to work out how to game the system to the point of rendering the entire thing redundant. Overall, these games would be great as a pack-in and two of the three were plenty fun if throwaway, but if the other minigames are as flimsy or exploitable as these three, trying to charge even a budget price is a clear rip-off. 5/10

ARMS: If you wanted a version of Wii Boxing that actually works, that's what ARMS is. The motion controls are perfect, there are a good variety of techniques and characters to choose from, but it's exactly what it looks like and nothing more. It's entertaining, no doubt, visually crisp, but: it's a functional Wii Boxing. Great to play once or twice at an event, but I can't see this having any sort of longevity. It feels like the sort of game which should've been part of a small, better collection in 1-2-Switch than a standalone game. Hopefully there's a lot more to reveal. 5/10

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: It's Mario Kart 8, which means it's one of the best Mario Karts to date, but portable, in higher resolution and with an extremely entertaining Battle Mode. I only played in portable mode, but it works perfectly (even with the unsatisfying sticks) and looks lovely on the screen. I'm not convinced by being able to hold two items - it just makes preserving first place even easier and doesn't have the character-specific items which were the best part of Double Dash!! - but how you feel about it will likely depend on whether you think the blue shell is vastly unfair or a necessary corrective (which the super horn already mitigated, to be fair). The ghost and feather don't offer much, and I stuck to Wario rather than trying the new characters, but these minor, questionable alterations are more than offset by how much fun Battle Mode is and the fact this is still the best MK in years which is not only portable, but plays really well in that mode. 8/10

Splatoon 2: Ironically, the addition of Battle Mode makes MK8D feel more of an evolution from the original than Splatoon 2 does from Splatoon, which is to all intents and purposes the same game with one significant drawback. That drawback is the lack of a second screen on which to offer a real-time map and super jumps: pulling up a map in the middle of the action is completely counterintuitive to a game as fast-paced and relentless as this, and of all the games I played and watched, I didn't see a single person doing it. Superjumping wasn't in my playstyle to begin with, but I did check the map often to scan for a way past enemy lines or where to go painting, but the lack of that immediate option makes Splatoon 2 a game where judgments are made solely based on what's right in front of you. The Splat Duelies don't change much, effectively a Splattershot with an admittedly handy dodge, while the new specials don't change the nature of the experience, the map I played felt like a slightly altered Urchin Underpass, and the motion control aiming felt a touch oversensitive (I'd imagine you can change this), but the good news is that while calling this a full sequel rather than a light remix is a bit of a joke, Splatoon is still ridiculously entertaining and no less so here. I didn't play on portable mode, but can imagine it being perfectly suited to finding a Wifi signal out and about for the occasional Turf War. 7/10

I also played Zelda, but only a ten-minute demo where about five of those were taken up by the opening cutscene and leaving the cave at the start of the game, so barely got to play it at all. It was most useful for swapping between modes: I started on the Pro Controller, which is the ideal way to play the game at home, then swapped to handheld mode, which is near instantaneous. I'm not sure a game like this is at all suitable to handheld play as the small screen kills the sense of scale, but then again, I only played a few minutes that way. From the few gameplay impressions I can offer, the controls feel a touch convoluted, with a lot of menu work, but beyond that miniscule quibble there was nothing to suggest the game won't live up to its burgeoning reputation. Didn't see any framerate drops, but then I'm not very sensitive to such things.

Have I changed my mind about buying the Switch at launch? No. Frankly, if anything, the disappointing sticks on the joycons/handheld make me slightly more reluctant to buy it at all, although if the right games come along and the price of console + pro controller drop far enough, I'm certainly willing to take the plunge. For those looking for a new handheld, it'll no doubt prove a fabulous investment. For those, like me, looking for a new home console, there's a sacrifice in comfort from the Wii U without the pro controller and no immediately discernable gains in power for your three hundred dollarpounds. The HD rumble is amusing enough in the otherwise disposable 1-2-Switch, but cannot imagine it offering anything beyond games specifically built to show it off. It's an impressive piece of tech for cramming a Wii U+ into such a tiny device, but for anyone other than engineers, out of the gate the Switch looks to be an incredible handheld and an underwhelming, maybe slight backwards step for a console. 5/10

Smowza

Neo Member
I got a batch of Switch consoles at work today, I opened mine early (not taking it home yet though) and the first thing that struck me was how small it is, the joy cons button are tiny.

I won't bother going into any detail as it's been all over every site etc but what I'd like to add is that it feels like the most premium console Nintendo has ever made... By a mile! I'm 35 and have had every Nintendo console apart from WiiU btw.

Roll on Friday ☺️

Top Bottom