• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overcooked Special Edition finally hitting the Switch this week

1.01 is indeed out. Just downloaded it.

Apart from increasing the size of the game from around 700MB to 900MB, performance in handheld mode more or less feels the same, it's fluctuating around 25fps still, and the map screen is still choppier than levels.

This is just from me playing 1-1 for a couple of minutes, though.

WhatNXt

The map seems smoother when not moving. Take the van to 3-1 and stop moving, the particles seem smooth there, can't remember if they were already like that before... I notice a bit of slow down still when moving the van though. Can't help but wonder if the depth of field is hurting it on that screen.

On a side note - I don't think I ever noticed some of the little details like Stone Henge near 1-1...

Tested level 5-6 but I'm on my own so can't really test the true hectic nature of the game. It seems alright here? I'm one of those it seemed alright to before though.

If they're doing Patch 2 they obviously realise there are a few more optimisations to be made.

Edit: I also only played handheld mode, it might benefit from being on power in the dock

jariw

Great news! Me and my daughter has completed the main game with all stars now, and we're currently playing through the DLC content. Can't say that I had much issues with the frame rate, but performance enhancements are always nice.

jariw

I read it, but just wanted to make sure it was actually available and not a Voez demo situation.

It's live in EU at least, but I had to download the patch manually through the OS.

Tested level 5-6 (the one with lava where everything moves in an eight) with 2 players now, and it's actually a huge difference on that level! Much easier to place things accurately. Since we've been trained in the game with the framerate resistance, the game is a breeze now. :)

WhatNXt

It's live in EU at least, but I had to download the patch manually through the OS.

Tested level 5-6 (the one with lava where everything moves in an eight) with 2 players now, and it's actually a huge difference on that level! Much easier to place things accurately. Since we've been trained in the game with the framerate resistance, the game is a breeze now. :)

Isn't 5-6 the space one with the switch doors?

That figure of 8 level was hell. Actual hell.

jariw

Anyone with more impressions after update? I've Been wating for better framerate. I know it's better. But how good it actually is?

Much better in docked 2-player. Like substantially better. I didn't feel that the 1.0 version was that bad, but I absolutely feel the difference after the update.

However, I think the loading times when a level is loaded is longer now, but shorter when the main hub is loaded.

Played more with my vidja buddy. We were three starring levels and coordinating left and right. It was amazing.

Game basically has justified the Switch for me so far. I love Zelda but this is something else with a friend.

Piotrek

Anyone with more impressions after update? I've Been wating for better framerate. I know it's better. But how good it actually is?

I haven’t got to the last level yet, which was supposed to suffer from the worst slowdown, however 2-1 (the first level with moving trucks) was where the low framerate and unresponsive controls were really noticeable to me. Since my SO is out at the moment I tried it in single player and it’s still pretty bad. Then I tried 2p by myself and oddly enough - it runs noticeably better. It’s kinda counterintuitive since the camera pans much farther and there’s a lot more assets visible on screen. Mind you, it’s still nowhere near ps4 level of framerate, but it’s good enough to encourage me and actually get back to the Switch version.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I like how when washing dishes, I feel the circular motion scrubbing the plates. HD Rumble is really good in this game.

japtor

This post on Reddit mentions the controls sticking to 8 directions pretty hard. I didn't play before the patch so I have no point of comparison myself but (more or less) sticking to 8 way movement seems a bit rigid. No clue if that'd be a benefit in the game since I've only played a few levels though.

Zzoram

This post on Reddit mentions the controls sticking to 8 directions pretty hard. I didn't play before the patch so I have no point of comparison myself but (more or less) sticking to 8 way movement seems a bit rigid. No clue if that'd be a benefit in the game since I've only played a few levels though.

I only bought this game after the patch and I notice it seems to be doing 8 directional movement. Doesn't bother me. I like how it highlights which counter space you're going to interact with, that helps to not act on the wrong space. Supposedly the highlighting is a new feature from the patch but I don't know.

Playing 2 player has been pretty good so far in world 1.

jariw

That might be a benefit, at least to how I play, since the game is grid based anyway. Having D-pad support in this game would make lots of sense.

jariw

Cannot do the last level. It's a crazy spike in difficulty. Love it though!

Do you play 2 player? You need an average of 3 minutes per part (there are four parts). It's easier to crunch time on some parts than on others.

Another thing that might be good to know about the last level is that everything is scheduled. You will always get the same amount of dishes (with the same ingredients), and in the same order.

So how does the Switch version compare now to PS4 and PC? I could get the game on either of those platforms, but Switch is actually the only console I have 2 controllers for, so if it's almost as good, I'd rather just get it on Switch.

I know there is some FPS issues, (that are maybe fixed now?) but what's the resolution like? tried searching but still haven't found out what the docked resolution is.

Edit: Okay, finally found out that it's 1080p docked, which sounds good. So other than the FPS issues, should be nearly identical to the other versions then?

Dunno about res but this game is not about gfx anyway. Framerate is...OK. Don't get the game for any platform you don't have at least two controllers for, not fun as a SP experience.

Anyways game is great fun and the gf is actually quite addicted to it, first time she actively suggests to play a certain game.

oti

Banned
So how does the Switch version compare now to PS4 and PC? I could get the game on either of those platforms, but Switch is actually the only console I have 2 controllers for, so if it's almost as good, I'd rather just get it on Switch.

I know there is some FPS issues, (that are maybe fixed now?) but what's the resolution like? tried searching but still haven't found out what the docked resolution is.

Edit: Okay, finally found out that it's 1080p docked, which sounds good. So other than the FPS issues, should be nearly identical to the other versions then?

Switch no question. The game was playable pre-patch. Now it's better. But if Switch is the only console you own two controllers for this isn't really a question.

japtor

Played through the first world and it seemed fine, although when I got to the onion house checkpoint the framerate seemed noticeably better in there. The patch notes another patch in the works to continue working on performance improvements so hopefully it gets to be like that the rest of the game.

KaneU

Can someone give me some tips how to get 3 stars in this game? I am playing it with my sister and we are struggling to get 3 stars on most levels in the very first world... How does the tip system work?

SirChop

Neo Member
Can someone give me some tips how to get 3 stars in this game? I am playing it with my sister and we are struggling to get 3 stars on most levels in the very first world... How does the tip system work?

When an order comes in, you will be able to see the timer change color at the top of the screen. The faster you fill an order based on the color of the timer, the higher the tip.

To get a high score, you need to be able to efficiently create the order and deliver it, which sometimes means looking down at other orders and filling the side requirements first.

If you have downtime, try to make use of the downtime. For example, if you have to make three burgers, but the first two are plain burger and the third burger has tomato on it, you may want to prep the tomatoes even if the first two burgers aren't done, so that the time cost isn't there in the future. As a riskier example, if you have to make an onion soup, but you don't have the next soup order yet, you could gamble and make a tomato soup while waiting for the second order to come in. If the next order if tomato soup, you can deliver it instantly for high tip. If it isn't, you may have bottlenecked yourself. You could fix the bottleneck by chopping the tomatoes, but not adding them to the soup until you can confirm the order, that still utilizes downtime efficiently.

In addition, you're not forced to do the orders in order. If you want, you could deliver the tomato burger first to get a high tip, at the cost of making the other plain burgers a lower tip. It's down to prioritization when you're making a lot of different types of food, and how much time is remaining on the clock.

weekev

Banned
Do you play 2 player? You need an average of 3 minutes per part (there are four parts). It's easier to crunch time on some parts than on others.

Another thing that might be good to know about the last level is that everything is scheduled. You will always get the same amount of dishes (with the same ingredients), and in the same order.
Yeah do it 2 player, my wife and I have 3 starred every level up till the last one.

TheExodu5

Banned
Bought it yesterday. Regret it instantly. The controls feel so incredibly unresponsive. Should have just stayed with the PC version.

KooopaKid

Banned
Bought it yesterday. Regret it instantly. The controls feel so incredibly unresponsive. Should have just stayed with the PC version.

It's not that bad but could be a lot better. It's strange they couldn't make smooth controls for a top-down view game. In theory, it should be as smooth as ALBW.
Not sure what the problem is. Maybe they are tied too much to a 2D grid?

Just bumping this cause another patch went live a couple of days ago which "improves performance" and adds Japanese language support.

Haven't been able to test myself yet.

Raysoul

Anyone know how much better the performance is now?

It's a bit better. For some reason, framerate is still wonky on single player, but improves more on multiplayer.

Only bad thing is the 8-way movement lock bug (as indicated on the post above you).

I bought this game last week because of the praise here and I saw that it was a bestseller so I thought it would be good. I regret it. It controls horribly and looks just as bad.

Raysoul

A bug?
It isn't 8-way movement on other platforms for instance?

I bought this game last week because of the praise here and I saw that it was a bestseller so I thought I'd be good. I regret it. It controls horribly and looks just as bad.

The movement is smoother pre-patch. After the patch, the BUG happened, which locks you on 8-way movement.

I'm really not sure why the devs didn't notice it. I like the game, but it is hard to recommend in its current state.

Mr. Robot

I already have this game on steam, but i dont want to play it since it is a hassle to gather 4 controllers and hook the pc to the living room to play multi, im just screening this thread waiting for comments that the framerate and controls have been fixed to buy it on switch, seems like i should wait a bit more.

TheExodu5

Banned
It's not that bad but could be a lot better. It's strange they couldn't make smooth controls for a top-down view game. In theory, it should be as smooth as ALBW.
Not sure what the problem is. Maybe they are tied too much to a 2D grid?

Has everything to do with the framerate. Game runs at maybe ~20-25 FPS most of the time.

jariw

Has everything to do with the framerate. Game runs at maybe ~20-25 FPS most of the time.

That was the measured FPS by DF before any of the 2 performance patches. The first performance patch made a huge difference. Haven't played the game with the second patch yet, but I doubt the FPS got worse again in that patch. Talking docked co-op here.

Is this game doable with just only two persons? My wife liked the trailer very much but when this game released on ps4 i think i've read that the difficulty is steep and that you have the most fun with a full group.

My Wife and i are conpletionists. So we would like to see ans collect everything in this game.

What is your opinion in this?

tanuki

Is this game doable with just only two persons? My wife liked the trailer very much but when this game released on ps4 i think i've read that the difficulty is steep and that you have the most fun with a full group.

My Wife and i are conpletionists. So we would like to see ans collect everything in this game.

What is your opinion in this?

My wife and I completed the entire game, 3 starred all the levels and DLC. So it’s definitely doable!

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
It's a bit better. For some reason, framerate is still wonky on single player, but improves more on multiplayer.

Only bad thing is the 8-way movement lock bug (as indicated on the post above you).

Is the frame rate more improved in multiplayer or better in multiplayer at this point? Because the latter would be very strange and I just want to confirm that it's the former.

It's doable in 2 Player but don't expect it to be a cake walk. Certain levels will have you pull your hairs out if you want to 3 star them.

Raysoul

Is the frame rate more improved in multiplayer or better in multiplayer at this point? Because the latter would be very strange and I just want to confirm that it's the former.

In single player, the camera is zoomed slightly to a single character, and the camera follows it when you move. This results in the whole stage moving in a 27-30fps* pace.

In multiplayer, the camera is zoomed out, and it doesn't follow any character. The result is the framerate issue doesn't affect the stage, resulting in a smoother gameplay.

Single player for this game is shit, so if you are playing this for multiplayer, I think it is good.

Top Bottom