• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch competitive mode out today on PC, next week on consoles

Flintty

My friend who only plays support told me she barely moves in xp even on winds. I was playing junk/pharah

And she was lower rank than me and lower rank than the people we were facing and winning against

Perhaps it's only recognising kills as XP worthy then. I mostly play as Reinhardt and get fuck all reward, even when I block high dmg or get gold on the objective. So frustrating.

K' Dash

Perhaps it's only recognising kills as XP worthy then. I mostly play as Reinhardt and get fuck all reward, even when I block high dmg or get gold on the objective. So frustrating.

No waaayy, rewarding kills is good, but it is toxic as fuck in this kind of game, the objective is to stay on the fucking payload/point.

if I had a dollar for every time we had the fucking point and lost it because everybody went to chase kills I'd be rich.

dan2026

I'm not sure why this game even needed a ranked mode.
What does it bring to the game?

Except for a reason for people to be shittier to each other.

Yushi

I play with some friends and we almost always tie with the other team, then we have to attack in hollywood or hanamura and win the point in less than 2 minutes, obviously we lost every fucking time.

Not once in the coin toss we have defended, this competitive seems broken as fuck.

Attack is heavily favored, i'm sorry to say, but you guys...yeah

Zemm

I'm not sure why this game even needed a ranked mode.
What does it bring to the game?

Except for a reason for people to be shittier to each other.

I would have much preferred player hosted dedicated servers, but there's no reason we can't have both.

Flintty

No waaayy, rewarding kills is good, but it is toxic as fuck in this kind of game, the objective is to stay on the fucking payload/point.

if I had a dollar for every time we had the fucking point and lost it because everybody went to chase kills I'd be rich.

Well that's what it looks like but I could be wrong. Shame if it is because it's not conducive for team play. That said, I just found this post in the Blizz forum. Pinch of salt but it kind of makes sense. I wish they'd come out with an official word on how it's done though.

First, it's not really XP. It's your position in the REGIONAL leaderboard backed by MMR. Whether you move up or down is dictating by the the position of everyone around you.

You might be rank 50, at the 50th percentile and go to bed. Wake up and play a round in the morning, win, and still rank down if a WHOLE bunch of people moved above you overnight.

Second, your penalty IS based on average team MMR. The team's average levels are taken into account, and the points taken from the losers and given to the winners is based on that

Losers higher than their team's average level by logical extension must sacrifice more points than players lower than their average team levels. Winners higher than their average team levels will receive less points than players lower than the average team level.

It's unavoidable if you want the penalty to be fairly applied. If everyone on the losing team and winning team got the same bonus/penalty, people of a higher rank would be pushed into TOO HIGH a rank for defeating lesser teams and people of a lower rank would be pushed into TOO LOW rank for losing to better ranked teams.

Edit: source thread

Mr. Robot

Every and I mean every match I had today where the enemy looked like they might lose had the team eventually quit.

Just had a match on volskaya where we were being dominated on the the first round, before the round was finished everyone left and i was the only one, on the second round the other team told me that it was ok for me to leave, i wanted to take the loss just for honor, but there was no point. it sucks.

Boy I love just constantly being put on teams that are just fucking garbage. Career high of 55 down to a fucking 49.

Last game I had the Gold for time on point at 3 seconds.

The ranks being entirely dependent on only win/lose just saps my want to play the game at all. No matter how well I do, I lose rank because of shitty team mates.

PaulloDEC

we suck, yeah...

but how is attack favored? attacking hanamura and taking it in less than 2 minutes? that seems like bullshit to me

Yeah, I'm not really seeing how attack is favored. I don't think I've been involved in any game yet where the people playing attack in a tie-breaker have won; two minutes just isn't enough time.

ZeroGravity

There's no way you should be forced to do an overtime match shorthanded. Game should just be declared a draw. Fucking hell.

Mush

I haven't even done my placement matches yet and I think I've already been scared off until Blizzard addresses some of the issues with rank loss, XP gain etc etc.

I've nearly reached the point where this game is nigh unplayable unless I'm with friends because 3/4 of the time I'm matched up with people who treat the game like a TDM, refuse to switch characters/play a different role and ignore the objective.

And no one communicates either. Even with my friends, we only make up half the team.

MZoon

Neo Member
I got 55 after going 7-3 at the placements and I think I'm an average player. Did the community figure out the skill level of each rank?
Players in game have been mostly nice but this game's community is already as whiny as LoL's. I can't imagine how bad it will be if blizzard messes up.

Flintty

I got disconnected from a single match 3 times last night. I reconnected each time and we eventually won a hard fought game. When the placement happened at the end I actually went down two ranks. But we won. Gg Blizz :(

Maximo

As a main Mercy player Competitive is fucked I don't like getting severely less ranking points then everyone else.

AnnTiPa

Maybe my friend just plays on another level or something but I just find it weird how everyone complains how they're getting less points playing as Mercy. I've been playing ranked in the same group with none of us playing any games on our own. We originally ranked 51-52-52. Yesterday, before a few bad matches, we were ranked 55, 56 and 59. 59 being our Mercy who plays Mercy pretty exclusively, using Pharah on a single map he hates.

jotun?

Just lost a match (ugh, sudden death) where all the cards at the end went to my team. Don't think I've ever seen the losing team get all of them before

Top Bottom