• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

they are the most similar to each other in terms of kit, better off getting someone who fills another role or counters an enemy pick.

Widow takes a while to get her Ult while Hanzo always has that wallhack right at the start. I find his ability very useful. It's also easier for Widow to attack the turrets than Hanzo, imo. I dunno, I see nothing wrong with them at all. If the players who are using them ain't doing a good job, I'd switch over to a Widow myself to take out the turrets.

I tried to rework Widow's kit. Her main issue right now is being extremely powerful in the hands of a skilled sniper and being underwhelming with players that have weaker aim. (Both by virtue of playing on console or just being less skilled with sniping) My goal with these changes is to make the difference between an absolutely godlike Widow and an alright Widow a bit less so balancing her doesn't become either "shit at lower level play and balanced at higher level play" or "balanced at lower level play and very overpowered at higher level play." Just doing it for fun but I would like to hear your thoughts on it.

Widow's Kiss (Assault): Max spread range reduced by (insert percent. Don't really know how each value would actually translate into actual gameplay).
The goal here is to make her primary fire more viable at mid range so she can better finish off wounded targets as well as help her contribute to fights besides just sniping.

Widow's Kiss (Sniper): Damage lowered to 100-200.
Obviously a pretty substantial nerf but the goal here is to create real counters for widow that can't be solved by the Widow player just having better aim. Winston for example is supposed to be a counter but if she headshots him midair she can easily gun him down when he lands. Tracer is supposed to be good as well but a fully charged bodyshot kills her instantly. Lowering the damage overall makes her bodyshots less threatening, especially to heroes like Tracer and Zenyatta, while making tanks much more threatening to her since she can't just take out over half their HP in one shot. Also Symmetra becomes a theoretical Widow counter since her shield would prevent people from getting 1-shotted by her headshot, although I devised a possible way for Widow to bypass that in her kit so she doesn't just get hard-countered by it.

Venom Mine: Damage duration shortened to 3 seconds (Still 75 damage overall). Now reveals enemies for 6 seconds to all allies.
With the massive power reduction to her sniper rifle I had to put some power back elsewhere. Venom mine seems fairly weak so it seems like a natural recipient for a buff.

Grappling Hook: (Activation button) can now be held down for her to swing from the target Tarzan-style instead of pulling herself to it. Alternatively (Activation button) can be repressed while Grappling to remain attached to the hook but not continue pulling herself. (So she would hang off the hook rather then pulling herself to it) She can deactivate this by pressing the button again.
Ok, so I doubt that these changes would actually make much of a difference power-wise but I feel like the creativity she could have with her hook compared to what it actually does in-game is large. Hopefully it will at least be a more fun ability to mess around with, even if it might not actually be that much more powerful.

Exquisite toxin (New ult. Name in progress): Widowmaker infuses her rifle with her deadly poison, applying it to all of her attacks for a short duration. Sniper shots deal up to 25 additional damage (Based on charge) over 3 seconds per hit (doubled for headshots), while Assault Rifle shots deal 5 additional dps over 3 seconds. Max dps from poison is 50. Enemies affected by her poison are revealed for the duration.
So the idea is to trade out her current ult, which is fairly bland in its usage (you usually just use it when you get it) and difficult to actually play against since it doesn't really have a counter, especially since it doesn't give off much of an indicator that you are being revealed.The new ult will hopefully help her contribute to major teamfights besides just sitting far back hoping to get picks as well as give her an increase in her damage so she can temporarily be able to deal with things like Tracer or Symmetra's shield, or a giant Gorilla trying to kill her. The numbers might be a bit over/undertuned right now, but the general idea is to replace her unexciting but extremely powerful ult with one that is more up-front and helps her get into the fray and help out her team on the objective.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Does Overwatch have EU/US servers? Whats the gaf community on EU like?

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
On what system? On PC, there are loads of us.

Sorry, PC

Do you guys know each other or is there a way to get in on the games? When I tried to get into CSGO with gaf there was an EU scene but everyone knew each other and it was a bit hard to get in on.

Why? Hanzo always great for the wallhack and Widow just in case there are turrets which usually happens on that map.

That's actually not a bad combo until/if you capture the first point on that map.

Because the people who picks those characters tend to hold back their position instead of pushing to get the point. I get that those chars are good to take down turrets which are heavily used in that map, but I think that one is enough for this task and I would rather pick Tracer, Winston or D.VA to break the enemy lines and force them to retreat from the door where the first defensive line is usually held. And this applies to every map, the combo Hanzo+Widow is a wasted slot.

Overwatch |OT3| Mei ain't guardin' a holed up Bastion

(I tried to come up with something referencing Kingdom Hearts and Radiant Garden/Hollow Bastion and this is the best I could do.)

Alternatively:

Overwatch |OT3| Sorry! Sorry! Sorry, sorry....

Skii

except the second point has 3 entrances but ok

Sorry forgot about that. But a team of randoms vs each other I feel like there's a heavy advantage for the defensive team because of how funnelled the map is.

All of these characters (except for Reinhardt and technically Mercy) would be pretty worthless at actually getting a team off of the point once they got there. A team that plays like this sacrifices safety for pure firepower; if you beat them once you get the point, whereas a normal team would have to be beaten at least two or three times unless something catastrophic happens.

Strong players don't stack turrets on defense because it's a fundamentally dangerous strategy.

But this is a situation of a group of friends vs a team of randoms as most people wouldn't pick that exact configuration of characters unless it was premeditated. It's impossible to combat that. At least with other maps a bunch of randoms stand a decent chance against an organised team because of numerous entry points and just improved map design.

Temple of Anubis Point B has 3 ways in, though. I win on the attack there fairly regularly by taking a Pharah or better yet a Junkrat in on the right side and fucking up stationary targets with explosives.

I'll remember to try those out next time I play it on offence.

the first point has two side routes if you make it through the choke point. There's no team that can block off all 3 permanently and it's rare that map ends on a shutout. The team you mentioned looks like Junkrat fodder, but one by himself wouldn't be enough. As it should be, you can't win 1v6 even with a counterpick.

the second point has tons of approaches, but people seem dead set on going up the middle instead of the very superior left. Our last win we went up the right and had a Symmetra drop a teleporter in that corner. It's no doubt one of the tougher maps on attack but I actually really like it when my team isn't in lemming mode, there's a lot of ways to deal with it.

Reaper's damage is actually almost unmatched. You just need to get close and go after the right targets. He's the tank and healer killer.

This is the problem for me. You can actually coordinate your attack whilst I mainly play with randoms. I need to find a group of players on PS4.

And thanks for the Reaper tips. I'll keep that knowledge in mind on my next session.

Widow takes a while to get her Ult while Hanzo always has that wallhack right at the start. I find his ability very useful. It's also easier for Widow to attack the turrets than Hanzo, imo. I dunno, I see nothing wrong with them at all. If the players who are using them ain't doing a good job, I'd switch over to a Widow myself to take out the turrets.

thats a good point (basic ability vs ult). a good Widowmaker is a nightmare, thats true too.

peakish

Never fear -- I always have a screenshot.
sutCGOp.jpg
Haha, I wasn't doubting you, just kind of baffled (sorry if it came across the other way!). They didn't make up for it by grabbing a gold medal heal as S76 or something, either :p

Moonkeis

I know the characters communicate this, but at least on console, I think they need to add an additional command like "Get on the point!" etc.

Mupod

What to do facing a defending team of all dwarfs and none of your teammates will switch to another character.

Zarya. May not get the job done as fast as a Junkrat with support but they won't be able to kill you. I have single handedly destroyed entire Torbjorn squads.

Now if they wise up and include a Reinhardt that's a problem.

Grisby

I would try to get the turret trophy
I don't even know what that is.
Get as many gold medals as you can and move on to the next match. Better luck next time.
Yeah, they switched to all tracers for the next round and didnt even get to the first point.
Leave game

or play a new character to try them out since you're not going to win
I don't leave games on general principal, but yeah. I was trying out some new dudes near the end.

Ferrio

Banned
Man getting POTG with tracer is a pain in the butt. Need a good sticky and/or an idiot enemy team. Haven't gotton either in a long while.

There are automatic call outs at around a minute/~20% left but that's more for "by the way, it's an objective game" and not really useful for coordinating.

I thought there was one you could use if you were by the point.

ExVicis

Zarya. May not get the job done as fast as a Junkrat with support but they won't be able to kill you. I have single handedly destroyed entire Torbjorn squads.

Now if they wise up and include a Reinhardt that's a problem.
In situations like that, when faced with Teamwork, like I said before, you can only counter that with more teamwork.

Blues1990

Out of the 21 playable heroes in Overwatch, who are the characters you guys have the most problems/issues playing as?

Genji, Torbjorn, & the Tank Heroes that are not Zarya are the are the characters I have most difficulty with. Genji's neither as agile as Tracer in combat, nor does he deal damage as quickly as Reaper or McCree, & I generally suck when it comes to flanking or harassing foes. For Torbjorn, it's due to how to deploy his gear and armour packs most effectively, as well as him not being all that effective without his turret & being better suited with teamwork.

The Tank Heroes are weird, as I had no problems with picking up Zarya and becoming a force of nature with her. But I find Roadhog to be too slow & sluggish, Reinhardt being too defense-oriented, D.Va being too predictable, or Winston not being as durable and limited at close range with his equipment.

Canucked

I wish there was a traditional system to show individual scores, that way I could know who was playing shitty.

I haven't played tf2 on other team shooters so I don't know how it's done but how would they tally stuff like Winston who may not rack up kills but can fuck up a team while teammates kill people off, or strength buffs from support. I think a lot of people are bad enough voting for high kills. Would a spreadsheet of info after a match be fair?

besada

Banned
What to do facing a defending team of all dwarfs and none of your teammates will switch to another character.

Switch to Junkrat, stand back and saturate bomb. Hope for the best?

So I've been playing the Brawl exclusively for the last day. I almost think it's intentionally giving me characters I never play. I've done so many rounds as Zarya, trying to figure out how to play her.

The brawls have been great. All they need are incentives now.

Should be a loot box for your first win, just like Hearthstone. How is this not implemented yet?

Zemm

Just hit level 42 and didn't even get a weapon mod or red dot scope for my grenade launcher, fuck this game! Can't believe you guys play this game for fun only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom