• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch (PC/XB1/PS4) releasing by June 21st, "Origins Edition" [Up2: Not F2P]

Yeah, was excited at the prospect of buying a game and not having stuff gated off behind paywalls. Didn't know this would actually be a problem since it's a traditional product and its being sold for $20 less than the standard price for new software.
This being B2P isn't gonna change that. There's still microtransactions and you can safely expect further heroes to be paid.

Maledict

No you can't. You absolutely can't at all, especially given blizzard have said they wanted a model where you have access to all characters as swapping is so important for gameplay.

People keep leaping to assumptions on this thread that have no evidence behind them. You get the impression people would only be happy if the game were completely free to buy and play in all respects.

If further content was free they would've said so already. The fact that they are being super coy about further characters and emphasizing that the base game has 21 heroes is telling enough.

Deltoid

Banned
No you can't. You absolutely can't at all, especially given blizzard have said they wanted a model where you have access to all characters as swapping is so important for gameplay.

People keep leaping to assumptions on this thread that have no evidence behind them. You get the impression people would only be happy if the game were completely free to buy and play in all respects.

I don't know about that, there's a pretty solid case to make about Blizzard intending to charge for future heroes.

FYI, Blizzard said that they want players to have 'enough' characters to choose from, and that's why they chose a model to give access to 21 characters. The implication is that players have enough choice, so it's fair enough to charge for extras.

Realistically, the chance of future characters being free is very low. However there has been a lot of backlash, so maybe Blizzard will adjust their business model
yeah right

garath

The only people leaping to assumptions imo are the people that believe blizzard is going to release future heroes for free. If they were, they would have said so. It's extremely likely there will be future paid expansions with new heroes. There's nothing to indicate otherwise. They have to fund the servers and support for a mp only game so they need to monetize and it seems extremely likely that monetization is going to be more than cosmetics.

I, like others, are lamenting a f2p model because there are a lot of positives about a f2p model when talking about a mp only game.

- it's instantly accessible to a much wider audience (and thus more players, more competition, and more visibility for a game you probably like)
- you can get some of these new heroes and other things with an in game currency

A multiplayer only game will live or die by the community. Without a steady influx if new players, it will eventually die. F2P models gets those players in initially fairly easily. Especially if it's a fun game with good word of mouth.

Now maybe because it's blizzard everything will be OK but it is still a little disappointing to hear.

Altima

Microtransaction or expansion will be in this game. Blizzard does not want to make a game that you buy to play only once anymore. It will be like Diablo 3 which I believe that it currently generate very low income but they still have to support it for very long time.

Also I would like to have a game with microtransaction/expansion that continue to grow than a dead game without microtransaction.

They will probably sell costume at launch or sometimes after the launch.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
If further content was free they would've said so already. The fact that they are being super coy about further characters and emphasizing that the base game has 21 heroes is telling enough.

Right. Heroes being free or Smite like one time fee for all current and future heroes would have been front and center in the marketing if they actually planned to do that. I find it hard to believe they dont have the basic structure of their content release strategy planned out by this point.

I'll be very surprised if there isnt some gameplay element tied behind piecemeal paywalls.

Manoko

There is no reason to believe that 2 days after they announce June 21st at the latest, that they changed their mind to come up with that hard date.

They announced Spring 2016 as a launch window.
They probably already have a specific target date internally, so this isn't as far-fetched as you could imagine.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
There is no reason to believe that 2 days after they announce June 21st at the latest, that they changed their mind to come up with that hard date.

Read this carefully.

2015-11-0917_00_24-ovkxqf7.png

I always thought they plan to release this before june, the game is already very polished and this week they will add the last 3 heroes to the beta. So all that's left is balancing, i'm sure they will add 1 or 2 maps more and the ranking system but this is all patchable. March 18 definitely seems like a possible release date.

maouvin

Read this carefully.

2015-11-0917_00_24-ovkxqf7.png

I always thought they plan to release this before june, the game is already very polished and this week they will add the last 3 heroes to the beta. So all that's left is balancing, i'm sure they will add 1 or 2 maps more and the ranking system but this is all patchable. March 18 definitely seems like a possible release date.

Yup. Most likely someone at Game didn't get the memo asking to use June 21 instead of the the "real" target street date.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They set those notes to the end of the season they're targeting. June 21st is the end of Spring. September 21st is the end of Summer.

Jawmuncher

You know I just got to thinking, how can they even offer the Origins Edition on XBL and PSN for 59.99? Since all of that extra blizzard content (out side of skins) wouldn't be able to be added. I think we'll be seeing a 49.99 origins edition on PS4 and XBL. No blizzard goodies, but all the skins.

Unless they really wanna screw people over and go "give us 60 for less"

akileese

You know I just got to thinking, how can they even offer the Origins Edition on XBL and PSN for 59.99? Since all of that extra blizzard content (out side of skins) wouldn't be able to be added. I think we'll be seeing a 49.99 origins edition on PS4 and XBL. No blizzard goodies, but all the skins.

Unless they really wanna screw people over and go "give us 60 for less"

It's tied to a battle.net account so once you activate it on bnet the stuff will show up just like with PC.

I don't get how people can be so certain that they're going to be releasing monthly heroes. There will probably be more heroes at some point sure but I honestly believe that due to the backlash (also trying to get the game released) that they really don't have a clue how they're going to monetize it. I'd personally be fine with them selling vanity items for cash and using that to fund characters and maps.

The other issue with small one off items like that is Sony and Microsoft getting a cut of all sales which means there's a lot of incentive for Blizzard to go to the expansion pack route as opposed to the rapid fire one off route.

Jawmuncher

It's tied to a battle.net account so once you activate it on bnet the stuff will show up just like with PC.

I don't get how people can be so certain that they're going to be releasing monthly heroes. There will probably be more heroes at some point sure but I honestly believe that due to the backlash (also trying to get the game released) that they really don't have a clue how they're going to monetize it. I'd personally be fine with them selling vanity items for cash and using that to fund characters and maps.

The other issue with small one off items like that is Sony and Microsoft getting a cut of all sales which means there's a lot of incentive for Blizzard to go to the expansion pack route as opposed to the rapid fire one off route.

Ahh I guess then they could, every console copy just logs into a battle.net account and gets the stuff like you say. But then that would mean buying a used console copy would get you all of the stuff as well.

Dr. Buni

Yep, I think I am buying this game. I was hoping it would be F2P, but B2P isn't that bad and at least it's not P2P.

Still don't like some of the heroes designs, but the majority look great, so yay.

So uh, not that I'm not one to miss the forest for the trees as well but...

...why not just ask yourself, "Does this look fun enough to pay the asking price for?" And call it a day?

I could honestly care less if the game purchased through the barter system. Game looks fun and is buy to play, I had no illusions it was any other way.

Overwatch was originally going to be Blizzard's new MMO, code-named Titan. Around 2013 they decided not to make it an MMO and instead turned it into what we see today.

From what I've heard from sources, Overwatch was never Titan. It's possible that some inspiration for characters and/or some minor elements were borrowed from the seven year development of Titan, but Overwatch was built from the ground up.

Enthus

I really wish that there was a collector's edition that didn't have the statue. The one offered doesn't fit at all with previous Blizzard releases.

Apologies if this has been asked, but if I was to get the Origins edition on Xbox One, would I still get the perks for my Blizzard PC games? ie; Baby Winston pet in wow, etc.

Thanks

Top Bottom