• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch'ing It: Overwatch 2 Trailer

Flintty

Yeah this confused me a bit.
So this sequel is aimed at OW1 players that are interested in PvE or brand new OW players who will buy OW2 rather than OW1?

Everyone else can just stick with regular OW1 and will still have access to all of the new maps, characters and PvP modes from the sequel without having to pay for anything?
Pretty much. With a new art style and new skins exclusive to 2.

At the end of the day, most fans will likely upgrade regardless.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
OW1 people get all the hero’s and pvp maps but none of the refined graphics and pve content.

OW2 gets everything from the first game plus pve, new costumes, and the prettier engine with all your OW1 progress.

pretty smart to keep the multiplayer together imo and the remastering of the engine with the old content was something I wish destiny 2 did (though scope of games are completely different)

I would expect new map and hero delays into OW1 (like 2 or 3 weeks of OW2 “first” shit) and all seasonal events to be OW2 exclusive

this is going to be great!

The fact that Blizzard won't split the user base for PvP is a great decision. I was nervous they were going to abandon OW1 but this is an excellent move as well as being able to use all upcoming new heroes and maps for just owning OW1. I don't see any reason to complain about this at all.
I do...what's the fucking point? Now they have to maintain two codebases just because they want to sell their PvE "sequel" when it could just be a paid DLC for the first game, which is getting all the PvP content anyway...

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Why the fuck did they call it “Overwatch 2”?
I was watching a bit of their panel and I think that they're making significant enough changes that this wouldn't be dlc or what you would consider to be an expansion pack. Apparently tomorrow their technical lead is going to have a panel on how much the engine has changed for 2.

I do...what's the fucking point? Now they have to maintain two codebases just because they want to sell their PvE "sequel" when it could just be a paid DLC for the first game, which is getting all the PvP content anyway...

You're complaining about something that you aren't even working on yourself. What do you care if Blizzard potentially made the work harder for themselves? What they did was give many OW players an option. People just seem to have a problem with the name and the potential pricing. If you don't think its worth it at all, stick to OW1 and still get the characters and maps free. I don't see how its a loss for anyone really.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Banned
I was watching a bit of their panel and I think that they're making significant enough changes that this wouldn't be dlc or what you would consider to be an expansion pack. Apparently tomorrow their technical lead is going to have a panel on how much the engine has changed for 2.

It can’t possibly have changed much since multiplayer’s going to be connected/interchangeable with OW1’s multiplayer.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
It can’t possibly have changed much since multiplayer’s going to be connected/interchangeable with OW1’s multiplayer.
True.

They did say that it's the same engine, but they've made changes/upgrades to it, but didn't go into detail. I'm looking forward to seeing what they have to say at tomorrow's panel.

Timex

Banned
image0.png
image1.png

Is it just me or did they give Tracer a larger ass and toned legs?

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I'll be playing this game just for the PVE and story content alone. I had enough of the first game after playing over 20+ hours.

You're complaining about something that you aren't even working on yourself. What do you care if Blizzard potentially made the work harder for themselves?
Maybe because I'd rather have a single well polished release, rather than two poorly maintained builds, which is a distinct possibility...balance is already all over the place every other patch, the last thing Overwatch needed was another fork to complicate things further. Aside from that...well...give me one good reason why it should be separate, instead of a premium expansion for the first? The engine changes can't be that drastic, remember, OW1 and OW2 still have to be able to play together. If they're similar enough to play together they're similar enough to merge. Why not just merge the codebases, reduce the workload and sell their little expansion pack (which is all it really is) like someone sane would do?

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

The fact that Blizzard won't split the user base for PvP is a great decision. I was nervous they were going to abandon OW1 but this is an excellent move as well as being able to use all upcoming new heroes and maps for just owning OW1. I don't see any reason to complain about this at all.
Thats dumb. You thought there'd be 26 new heroes and maps too didn't you.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Remember Left 4 Dead 2 as a glorified paid DLC and than free on Steam?! This is him now

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Fell off overwatch hard but I did really like it. I just don’t care for pvp games. With the pve stuff I going to love this.

Last edited:
The only game I want from blizzard but I would sooner but a used copy at GameStop than give them my money. I’m skeptical how good the actual campaign will be hopefully they can pull off a Titanfall 2

Celcius

°Temp. member
Hmm, I’m not sure how to feel about this. I thought they’d save an Overwatch 2 for next gen. I need to see more.

PhoenixTank

I'm really going to need convincing. A demo on bnet for OW1 players, perhaps? I get that they aren't hindered by PvP balancing now but the previous PvE modes were just okay and suffered horrendously from bullet sponge enemies.
We'll find out eventually I guess!

Timex

Banned
Part of her character development. What did you expect from someone who runs constantly? A small ass and non-toned legs?
No, I’m happy that the gave her a bigger ass and toned legs now with the new character model. It’s a good thing since her old legs looked super long and toothpick thin. They finally are giving Tracer her cinematic models body shape.

Arozay

I feel like the only reason they slapped a 2 on it was to draw back people and pick up those that feel they missed out from the start.

Should have called Shadowlands World of Warcraft 9.

Ravielsk

Neo Member
Its a blatant attempt to revitalize a franchise Blizzard doomed to failure with their inability to actually balance the game(mainly because they insisted on balancing the game around champion switching instead of making things actually balanced) and refusal to add anything meaningful to the game(permanently not just for a week during events). Instead they focused on banning people for being mean(a.k.a "toxic") and announcing every characters sexuality as if that mattered in the slightest.

Overwatch 2 will bring back a few people back and maybe some new comers but unless Blizz sorts its priorities they will again leave very quickly.

Top Bottom