• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch's Tracer new over the shoulder pose after last weeks request

L.O.R.D

3YCuKvv.gif

Do people not freaking read primary sources at all? Kaplan's post said they were planning to change the pose before anyone ever posted on their forums. People on the internet sure love getting up in arms about the cause du jour, even if they know absolutely nothing about it.

So yeah, that poster totally "ruined the first pose for us." Blizz sure showed him.

They had no true plans to change it before the complaints, its just PR.

They had no true plans to change it before the complaints, its just PR.

The game is still in beta, the pose was 100% identical to another character, and the lead on the game said they were going to change it anyways... What part of that makes it unbelievable? The only thing I can see that thread having done is get the new pose out on this patch versus a later one, but even that is dubious because it was released along side a LOT of other skins/animations/etc.

ghostjoke

Banned
Whoever does marketing at blizzard needs a raise (or maybe several).

"We don't like the current pose and are thinking of changing it."
--"But how can we get some free marketing out of it?"
"Find me something the internet can fight over for a few days."

Oh... My... God... It's even better. I love that Blizzard just gave the middle finger to that person who complained on the forums over that previous pose.

Nothing says middle finger like complying to one's demands to the letter. But I guess mental gymnastics to feel like you "side" won isn't anything new.

Keasar

Nothing says middle finger like complying to one's demands to the letter. But I guess mental gymnastics to feel like you "side" won isn't anything new.

Wasn't the whole controversy that she was showing her butt and being reduced to a "sex symbol"?

How was that fixed by still showing her butt and being now a picture-in-picture perfect representation of a literal sex symbol? :p
The whole "controversy" (on both sides) was completely meaningless.

hodgy100

Wasn't the whole controversy that she was showing her butt and being reduced to a "sex symbol"?

How was that fixed by still showing her butt and being now a picture-in-picture perfect representation of a literal sex symbol? :p

there wasn't a controversy. there wasn't a "both sides"

The "outrage" was over someone who suggested that her pose betrayed her character. blizzard agreed said they were thinking of changing it anyway and did so.

the outrage was directed towards the person who dared to give feedback on a game in beta.

wether you agree with that feedback or not is up to the individual. but the feedback itself wasnt inflamatory or overbearing, it was a suggestion.

Draeter

Banned
That guy was angry about that boring pose turning tracer into another sex simbol. Then they removed it and changed it for an actual sex simbol pose. They clearly made it worse. No matter how much people here say it was about not fitting the character, it was about the pose being " sexy"( it wasnt, it was just boring), so changing it into a pinup pose is not hard to be seen as a "heres my middle finger", even thought i think blizzard was just going to replace the pose anyway and acting as if they care about his opinion.

Now, some real hardcore mental gimnastics its people saying the first pose was inapropiate and this onr its fine

Keasar

there wasn't a controversy. there wasn't a "both sides"

The "outrage" was over someone who suggested that her pose betrayed her character. blizzard agreed said they were thinking of changing it anyway and did so.

the outrage was directed towards the person who dared to give feedback on a game in beta.

wether you agree with that feedback or not is up to the individual. but the feedback itself wasnt inflamatory or overbearing, it was a suggestion.

Oh. Can't say I kept up with much of what was going on, all I remember was something about her butt being there and that is what everyone kept bringing up after. :p

I wasn't very invested in what was happening (I'm more of a Reinhardt player). All I know in the end was that it looks like nothing really changed.

hodgy100

Oh. Can't say I kept up with much of what was going on, all I remember was something about her butt being there and that is what everyone kept bringing up after. :p

I wasn't very invested in what was happening (I'm more of a Reinhardt player). All I know in the end was that it looks like nothing really changed.

it's fine. I guess I'm just getting a bit frustrated at people ( not you ) constantly hunting for boogeymen to justify their abuse of other people.

we are getting to a point where nuanced discussion feedback and suggestions are being conflated with outrage and ridiculous claims. Its pushing discussion more to the extreme and making any actual discussion about anything near impossible. I guess that's the point. cant improve things if you cant talk about it.

TheYanger

That guy was angry about that boring pose turning tracer into another sex simbol. Then they removed it and changed it for an actual sex simbol pose. They clearly made it worse. No matter how much people here say it was about not fitting the character, it was about the pose being " sexy"( it wasnt, it was just boring), so changing it into a pinup pose is not hard to be seen as a "heres my middle finger", even thought i think blizzard was just going to replace the pose anyway and acting as if they care about his opinion.

Now, some real hardcore mental gimnastics its people saying the first pose was inapropiate and this onr its fine

No, you didn't actually read the feedback, you're just showing your ignorance here.

RMI

Banned
Did anyone on the internet complain about the new pose? I'm hungry for salt.

I'm sure someone somewhere is unhappy.

The new pose is better,and I wonder how anyone who was upset by Tracer's butt could ever leave the house without being assaulted by tight-clad lady-butts everywhere. Maybe it's just where I live, but I don't go a day without seeing a woman wearing a similarly revealing pair of tights.

Draeter

Banned
No, you didn't actually read the feedback, you're just showing your ignorance here.
I did. Flipps was complaining about the first pose "reducing tracer to another sex simbol" , because tracer "isnt a vharacter whobis in part defined by flaunting her sexuality" and that blizzard were "willing to reduce them to sex symbols to help boost their invesment game"

So basically he is saying it doesnt fit the character because its sexy.

Then jeff Kaplan said "The last thing we want to do is make someone feel uncomfortable, under-appreciated or misrepresented"

So unless you are trying to say the first pose was sexy and the new one its not, which i dont see how could you see that, they didnt care about his opinion at all

No need to get angry

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I'd love to hear more feedback from the women who deal with this misrepresentation all the time. My girlfriend looked at the old and new poses, and she can't discern which pose was meant to be the less "sexual" one.

Odrion

Banned
Ahh hahaha.

This is pretty reminiscence of when Metzen said her daughter asked why all the women are in swimsuits, and motioned that he felt embarrassed. And then Blizzard introduced the Overwatch roster.

All talk and no walk.

Both wrong. This is the original post that complains about the pose. Please pay attention to the bolded:

WHAT? What about this pose has anything to do with the character you're building in tracer? It's not fun, its not silly, it has nothing to do with being a fast elite killer. It just reduces tracer to another bland female sex symbol.

The new pose is fun, silly, badass and the opposite of bland. The original post doesn't even contain the words "butt" or "ass". Go check if you don't believe me:
http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20743015583
People keep confusing being sexy with being objectified. The old pose is the latter while the new one is not.

Draeter

Banned
Both wrong. This is the original post that complains about the pose. Please pay attention to the bolded:

WHAT? What about this pose has anything to do with the character you're building in tracer? It's not fun, its not silly, it has nothing to do with being a fast elite killer. It just reduces tracer to another bland female sex symbol.

The new pose is fun, silly, badass and the opposite of bland. The original post doesn't even contain the words "butt" or "ass". Go check if you don't believe me:
http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20743015583
People keep confusing being sexy with being objectified. The old pose is the latter while the new one is not.

Thats some fucking serious tunel vision you have, where did he said anything about objetification? He complained about it being sexy

We aren't looking at a widowmaker pose here, this isn't a character who is in part defined by flaunting her sexuality. This pose says to the player base, oh we've got all these cool diverse characters, but at any moment we are willing to reduce them to sex symbols to help boost our investment game.

And fun silly and badass its a weird way of calling a pinup, one of the most clear examples of women objetification in the 20th century. A poster of a woman with little clothing smiling like an idiot its like the oposite thing of "badass". Its a woman being used as a decoration for fuck sake

EDIT: NOW I NEED TO REMOVE MY EYES

Top Bottom