• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch's Tracer new over the shoulder pose after last weeks request

PtM

Banned
Maybe you should see the original post?

It wasn't that the character was sexualized, but rather the pose was out of character and was ONLY ABOUT sexualization.
I rest my case.

Blizz are still the biggest nerds for how they handle this, but what else is new?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
The new pose is SO much better, but i still think that the reason of the change is incredibly stupid, is a "fast", "good friend" etc person not supposed to be or to desire to be sexy(not that the initial pose was that sexy)? It's like passing from a dumb plain stereotype(the sexy girl) to another as dumb and plain(the virgin heroine without sexual life or desires).

Cimarron

I find this whole controversy silly. First off you often see male characters with the 'backwards' pose. Second off... She has no ass! If she had badonk i could perhaps see the issue but this is white knighting at its worse.

Zelias

Banned
New pose is better, but the whole controversy was overblown to stupid levels in the first place and I wouldn't haved cared if Blizzard had kept the original.

I find this whole controversy silly. First off you often see male characters with the 'backwards' pose. Second off... She has no ass! If she had badonk i could perhaps see the issue but this is white knighting at its worse.

Yes the controversy is silly. But it's worth noting that there was never a controversy about the original pose. Someone gave Blizzard feedback and Blizzard responded to that. The controversy started after Blizzard responded saying they'd be changing the pose.

So after all that controversy, they revised their decision and opted for a pose in which the key difference is that she lifts one of her legs up. And that's it.

I think if you're a video games developer, spending too much time on community boards has to be damaging for your health. I mean it has to be right? That's a whole lot of stress that I could happily live without.

Alienous

The new pose is SO much better, but i still think that the reason of the change is incredibly stupid, is a "fast", "good friend" etc person not supposed to be or to desire to be sexy(not that the initial pose was that sexy)? It's like passing from a dumb plain stereotype(the sexy girl) to another as dumb and plain(the virgin heroine without sexual life or desires).

She's a character, not a person. As such she 'desires' to be whatever the artists and writers decide.

Her last pose could only be described as "Here's my ass". It had no nuance, and it seemed detached from Tracer's characteristics; it wasn't fun, or energetic. This one, by contrast, is better - if you want to see her as having a "desire to be sexy" it doesn't take away from that, but it also isn't her just doing an ass pose.

The change makes sense to me. It isn't about being prudish with the characters, it's about portraying the characters in a way that makes sense instead of giving a character a generic 'be sexy' pose.

patapuf

Out of all the silly online reactions over "censored" stuff in games recently this has got to be by far the most stupid. And there's a lot of competition!

2sexy4me

Change it again!
/s

Seriously though, this looks like it could build a better argument than the other pose lol. I'm actually surprised people aren't upset about this one as well. I really like this one more though. Tracer is such a cool character.

Keasar

screenshot_16-04-05_19-45-04-000.jpg

Fuck. Yes!

Mike Golf

Yes the controversy is silly. But it's worth noting that there was never a controversy about the original pose. Someone gave Blizzard feedback and Blizzard responded to that. The controversy started after Blizzard responded saying they'd be changing the pose.

Entirely true, but the OP on the Overwatch forums made no sense with their complaint. The original pose did not specifically show off her butt, the fact that her outfit has spray on pants did that. When your behind her in-game her pants do that. If her pants were replaced with semi-loose fitting pants, say to match her bomber jacket, the old pose would have zero sexual appeal. Problem was the OP didn't complain about what really made the pose sexual by any definition, the pants, they instead complained about the pose.

This new pose is far better no matter the implications thanks to being more dynamic and visually pleasing, but again that OP's argument falls flat as the real crux of either pose looking sexual in any way is inherent to her outfit, not the poses themselves.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
She's a character, not a person. As such she 'desires' to be whatever the artists and writers decide.

Her last pose could only be described as "Here's my ass". It had no nuance, and it seemed detached from Tracer's characteristics; it wasn't fun, or energetic. This one, by contrast, is better - if you want to see her as having a "desire to be sexy" it doesn't take away from that, but it also isn't her just doing an ass pose.

The change makes sense to me. It isn't about being prudish with the characters, it's about portraying the characters in a way that makes sense instead of giving a character a generic 'be sexy' pose.

I agree that the old pose was bad and not sexy at all, but there are deep and realistic characters and there are flat and simple characters, the energetic heroine whose only thought is to frag others is an old, flat and dumb stereotype, on the other hand complex, realistic and interesting characters have desires, dreams, interests, incoherencies etc, removing a bad pose because a certain kind of heroine cannot be or desire to look sexy is as stupid as the pose itself and reduces the character to a flat stereotype.

tebunker

Banned
I think my wife nailed the situation perfectly when she said, "Both poses look like stereotypical pictures of women in games". She plays damn near everything video game wise and I think she is pretty resigned to the fact that it is a rare day when video game representation of women is ever truly spot on or not eye candy.

I agree with my wife here too. I know next to nothing about the game, it seems cool. I think it is pretty damned cool that Blizzard took feedback and used it to make a change. I think it silly how people overreacted to them doing that. Honestly it just looked like petty jealousy.

I kind of just wish people wouldnt overreact so negatively to things they don't agree with. Theb maybe we can have meaningful discussion about the actual issues that need to be talked about.

Zomba13

New one looks sillier but I guess that fits the character better because she seems pretty happy and silly so I'm ok with this.

olympia

Sure, I guess.
I don't hate Blizzard for doing it, but what happened is clear. I don't even get the point of saying that it wasn't buckling to a complaint.

blizzard receives various complaints over a wide range of issues all the time. the idea that they "buckled" to anything is ludicrous. Someone pointed out something about the original pose and blizz tended to agree, especially since blizzard finally concluded that the pose didn't fit the playful nature of the character

to be honest the reactionary comments to the original complaint seem to be way louder and somehow more irritating.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
LOL I'd think the person who ruined the first pose for us would be even unhappier with this one. :D

Do people not freaking read primary sources at all? Kaplan's post said they were planning to change the pose before anyone ever posted on their forums. People on the internet sure love getting up in arms about the cause du jour, even if they know absolutely nothing about it.

So yeah, that poster totally "ruined the first pose for us." Blizz sure showed him.

Top Bottom