• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter predicts the death of the console

StevieP

Banned
The console market isn't even remotely healthy. He's right but for the wrong reasons, and with the wrong solutions

Cse

Banned
Honestly, does anyone think we're going to still be purchasing consoles after 2020? I wouldn't be surprised if we're currently on the last generation of consoles.

Except this isn't true. A device that consumes 1-4W of power and is battery operated will never able to run the same software at the same quality and performance as a 150W machine that's plugged into a wall.

I guess you can make the case that despite the short comings of mobile, the games will be "good enough and sufficient" for consumers. Maybe. But I'm not convinced yet.

Is it a coincidence that the console market seems to be dramatically retracting this gen and mobile is dramatically expanding, or is it just the Wii/DS market moving to mobile games and forgetting Wii U/3DS? I think the latter has a lot to do with it, but the former can't be ignored. PS4/Xbox One are probably not going to sell 160 million consoles combined like they did last gen, due to the xbox one not having all-that-amazing sales so far. Even with the record setting PS4 numbers last holiday.

Guevara

The whole argument about phones being powerful enough to power any games is true, but I think it's a ways off from what he thinks. He makes is sounds like in like 3 years we will all be plugging our phones into our Smart TV's to play games. While I do agree this may be the future, that's easily 10+ years from being a reality IMO.

In general I think Pachter is often correct but underestimates how long it will take to get there. Maybe, as others have said, it's because he doesn't have a good understanding of what is technologically feasible.

Consoles probably will fade in importance, phones are the way most people play games. But I agree, what he's talking about is more like 10 years out or more.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i still don't know who this guy is except for the "consistently misunderstands the industry" dude who gets posted here every so often

Lernaean

Banned
Pachter being Pachter once again.
And this guy is an analyst. People actually pay him for his insight.
Sorry Pach, but i wanted to know about the future of something i'd rather ask a witch-doctor. They'd have a bigger chance getting it right.

I think we'll get one more traditional gen after this one and then that'll be it. We'll get chips inside TVs that let you play games, or our phones will be powerful enough to tether to your TV and play, or Onlive/Gaikai type streaming will take off. One of those three but I think we still have about 10 more years of consoles.

There will have to be some new revolutionary tech for our phones to be powerful enough to replace them. Graphite? Nanotech? I dunno.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
but but but
0253_9js8y.gif

x-Lundz-x

In general I think Pachter is often correct but underestimates how long it will take to get there. Maybe, as others have said, it's because he doesn't not have a good understanding of what is technologically feasible.

Consoles probably will fade in importance, phones are the way most people play games. But I agree, what he's talking about is more like 10 years out or more.

Yeah, he said in two more generations and I'm pretty sure he meant phone generations. That's crazy talk.

injurai

Banned
in some ways, I don't really care what you call the platorm that I'm playing on. As long it is there to deliver the games and encourage a healthy industry.

Cse

Banned
The concept of games being processed locally is slowly dying. As Sony and Microsoft gradually improve their back end infrastructure, streaming and real time cloud gaming will only become more prominent. You'll be able to play a game anywhere, irrespective of your device.

In 8 years, "Xbox" and "Playstation" won't be viewed as hardware platforms, but as entertainment services.

Ramstein

Banned
C'mon Michael. Stick to the financial aspects. You are are not an engineer. When you try to talk about the technology it just comes out as hilarious.

Um, I actually think he has a valid point. put aside your knee-jerk typical gamer "THEYZ TAKIN' MUH GAEMZ!" attitude and see that, starting with the iPhone 5, we are now seeing graphics on-par with consoles and think about this scenario, since he brought up Chromecast(which plugs directly into your TV): A micro-HDMI to HDMI cord that goes from your phone(or similar iOs/Android device)to your TV and that's how you get all the ridiculously good-looking graphics on a big screen. Couple that with a Bluetooth/WiFi gamepad and I can legitimately see consoles no longer being "necessary."

Now, I get that scares you, but if you think about it, it's a bright future.

Oh, and don't forget Oculus.. ;)

Duderz

Banned
He's not entirely wrong. The home console market is sharply contracting, and when we're at a point where AAA games must sell millions upon millions to make a profit all the while development costs are spiraling out of control, clearly this business model is not sustainable.

The concept of games being processed locally is slowly dying. As Sony and Microsoft gradually improve their back end infrastructure, streaming and real time cloud gaming will only become more prominent. You'll be able to play a game anywhere, irrespective of your device.

In 8 years, "Xbox" and "Playstation" won't be viewed as hardware platforms, but as entertainment services.

Also, this.

FoneBone

Is it a coincidence that the console market seems to be dramatically retracting this gen and mobile is dramatically expanding, or is it just the Wii/DS market moving to mobile games and forgetting Wii U/3DS? I think the latter has a lot to do with it, but the former can't be ignored. PS4/Xbox One are probably not going to sell 160 million consoles combined like they did last gen, due to the xbox one not having all-that-amazing sales so far. Even with the record setting PS4 numbers last holiday.

Agreed. I don't know about his reasoning, but I think you have to be willfully ignorant to look at the available evidence and claim that the console market is fundamentally healthy.

Yeah, this. I give it about 8-10 years.

We roll our eyes at this on this forum, but the more casual hardcore gamer in me says yes I would love to stream Assassin's Creed 12 to my TV from a stick or my phone instead of buying another console. There are positives, not just negatives.

Seriously. Hasn't he said this exact thing before?

Yes, because this at least being a big option is inevitable. Everything from PlayStation Now, Vita TV, The Sony Z3 with Remote Play, EA's Access Pass and more point to it.

Damn, seems like Sony will do it first. They inch closer to it with everything they do.

Honestly, does anyone think we're going to still be purchasing consoles after 2020? I wouldn't be surprised if we're currently on the last generation of consoles.

What do you think will replace them? I certainly could see things changing . . . but you are not going to be playing TV-displayed CoD on your Chromecast dongle or cellphone.

Cloud-gaming? I dont' see it. OnLive bombed. It works but the quality takes a hit in both visual aspects, sound, and lag. And I don't see the internet improving enough to fix that except for people that get fiber. And if we go to 4K, streaming will just fail again.

Instead of console, the CPU & GPU could move elsewhere . . . in your TV, in your cable box, using a PC instead, etc. But I wouldn't call that the death of the console . . . just it moving.

AHA-Lambda

Jesus Christ, I thought people had stopped this shit now that both consoles have come out of the gate kicking ass, and that games like Destiny and Watch Dogs (despite being crap) are selling gangbusters?

zeroyazi

Banned
With enough love and care, consoles can last a long time. I still have a working Atari Super Pong unit that works with out any problems. Maybe this Patch Adams guy has an original XBox with faulty capacitors.

*Reads article*

Yeah, no. They are sticking around. Maybe not in their current form as we know it, but as long as there are (loosely) dedicated devices for hobbies, dedicated hobbyists and casual consumers will pick them up.

We roll our eyes at this on this forum, but the more casual hardcore gamer in me says yes I would love to stream Assassin's Creed 12 to my TV from a stick or my phone instead of buying another console. There are positives, not just negatives.

I'd just like to charge my phone twice a week instead of every day.

Top Bottom