• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 09, 2009

CHRP718

Banned
cjelly said:
It's quite cute how so many people are desperate for Killzone to be the next Halo.

Ain't gonna happen. That ship has long sailed. I would be surprised if Killzone even sells as well as either of the CoD games on PS3.
lolcat.jpg

mujun

like every week this thread is full of people cheering the sales of their favorite ps3 game(s).

weak.

Interfectum

cjelly said:
It's quite cute how so many people are desperate for Killzone to be the next Halo.

Ain't gonna happen. That ship has long sailed. I would be surprised if Killzone even sells as well as either of the CoD games on PS3.

I feel sorry for you. :lol

2 million demo downloads and people think that Halo Wars is selling only on name? Obviously someone liked it, and it is a good game after all (gamerankings = 82.56%).

mujun

Loudninja said:
Are you serious?

sure, seems like every weeks people are coming into the charts thread to cheer on their favorite ps3 game.

maybe i haven't been paying enough attention and their is actually a larger amount of ppl cheering the sales of wii, 360, etc games?

seems kinda silly to me. ill stress the "to me" part for your benefit.

Dabanton

Sho_Nuff82 said:
2 million demo downloads and people think that Halo Wars is selling only on name? Obviously someone liked it, and it is a good game after all (gamerankings = 82.56%).

They don't want to believe that though it's got to be a fix, in their minds console owners don't play RTS games.

I actually spoke to a group of about 3 or 4 people that didnt know Halo Wars was an RTS, so it DOES happen. They knew there was a new Halo game coming out (ODST i presume) and just seen it on the shelves and went OMG and bought it.

Question: Do returned copies count in sales data lol? I know EB Aus has a 7 day return policy (I use it sometimes when I smash SP games fast and dont enjoy them enough to keep).

Banned
pseudocaesar said:
I actually spoke to a group of about 3 or 4 people that didnt know Halo Wars was an RTS, so it DOES happen. They knew there was a new Halo game coming out (ODST i presume) and just seen it on the shelves and went OMG and bought it.

Can they read? Did they just pick it up and not look at the back at all? I find this hard to believe.

Crackers

Neo Member
mujun said:
like every week this thread is full of people cheering the sales of their favorite ps3 game(s).

weak.

Isn't that what sales threads are for, cheering on your current favourite game?

bj00rn_

Banned
pseudocaesar said:
I actually spoke to a group of about 3 or 4 people

..I don't know the exact limit value for when to start use "about", but it sure as hell does not apply to 4 or less!

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it probably is an anecdote.

h3ro

Karma said:
Can they read? Did they just pick it up and not look at the back at all? I find this hard to believe.

Not everyone visits videogame websites, posts on forums and watches live streams of E3. In fact, we're the minority. I have a two friends who picked it up as well, without calling me (they usually call me before to find out if a game is "good") and were really disappointed it wasn't an FPS as well... (yes it's an anecdote, but it has nothing to do with sales numbers, more so with how lots of people approach which games to buy)

Dabanton

pseudocaesar said:

Question: Do returned copies count in sales data lol? I know EB Aus has a 7 day return policy (I use it sometimes when I smash SP games fast and dont enjoy them enough to keep).

Do they have Xbox Live?

JudgeN

Karma said:

You don't really expect people to have even the slightest bit of knowledge about what they are buying before they buy it do you :lol

O man so many retail stories I could share about silly people.

mujun

Crackers said:
Isn't that what sales threads are for, cheering on your current favourite game?

i thought they were for discussing sales trends and the like.

i don't see the point in cheerleading, then again i don't have any emotional investment in the success or failure of games or game systems.

mujun said:
sure, seems like every weeks people are coming into the charts thread to cheer on their favorite ps3 game.

maybe i haven't been paying enough attention and their is actually a larger amount of ppl cheering the sales of wii, 360, etc games?

seems kinda silly to me. ill stress the "to me" part for your benefit.

You definitely need a new pair of glasses.

herod

All regions total:

wii - 19
360 - 15
ds - 14
ps3 - 11
pc - 10
ps2 - 1
psp - 0

Nintendo family - 33
Microsoft family - 25
Sony family - 12

deepbrown

pseudocaesar said:

Well we'll know it week two whether this is indeed the case - as there should be a huge drop in sales (returned copies, people buying said returned copies).

Banned
h3ro said:
Not everyone visits videogame websites, posts on forums and watches live streams of E3. In fact, we're the minority. I have a two friends who picked it up as well, without calling me (they usually call me before to find out if a game is "good") and were really disappointed it wasn't an FPS as well... (yes it's an anecdote, but it has nothing to do with sales numbers, more so with how lots of people approach which games to buy)

I didnt say anything about websites or forums. I was talking about reading the back of the box.

Crackers

Neo Member
mujun said:
i thought they were for discussing sales trends and the like.

i don't see the point in cheerleading, then again i don't have any emotional investment in the success or failure of games or game systems.

Yep, sales trends should definitely be discussed in sales threads.

I haven't got a problem with the cheerleaders, they're mostly just excited for a game they enjoy. The "It's a bomba!!!!!" crowd, now they have issues.

h3ro

Karma said:
I didnt say anything about websites or forums. I was talking about reading the back of the box.

I don't know how Gamestop or other stores work where you live, but they don't usually have boxes on display. You just go up the register, tell them what game you want, they get it from the display behind them and you pay for it. Not much time to analyze a game cover insert. People saw Halo, Halo = fps, and they bought it.

Tntnnbltn

h3ro said:
I don't know how Gamestop or other stores work where you live, but they don't usually have boxes on display.
What do they have on shelves? Is the entire store just one big counter?

thaOwner

Convo I had with friends house mate.

Me and One of my friends: "playing kz2"
Kid comes in the room: Damn, that looks sick. What game is that ?
Me: Killzone 2
Kid: That looks so damn good. I wanna play.
Me: Sure. *gives him the controller"
Kid: *starts playing * "Man, I just heard there is a new Halo game coming out, its gonna be sick"
Me: Yeah, I know. It looks really great and the controls look fluid as hell for an RTS game.
Kid: Whats an RTS ?
ME: Real Time Strategy game like company of heroes or Starcraft.
Kid: Oh, yeah? What do you do in them ?
Friend: You build bases and control units and then you take them into battle and shit like that. Good stuff actually.
Kid: that sounds really cool, I will check out some gameplay videos and see if i dig it.

The game needs more exposure. This may actually get some people who have never been interested in RTS
games to actually take part in it depending on how well its market and knowing Microsoft and their robust
marketing campaign, I know they are not going to fail.

Banned
h3ro said:
I don't know how Gamestop or other stores work where you live, but they don't usually have boxes on display. You just go up the register, tell them what game you want, they get it from the display behind them and you pay for it. Not much time to analyze a game cover insert. People saw Halo, Halo = fps, and they bought it.

Bullshit. Have you ever been to a Gamestop? They always have the boxes on display.

Listen people. The demo has been out for over a month. They can at least read the back of the box to see what they are paying $60 for. People know what they are buying.

h3ro

Both the GameCrazy and Gamestop by my house have the walls covered with the used titles (older games), and display racks with the cover art for new releases. I don't know if they had Halo Wars displayed (I'm sure they did) because I don't really frequent them often.

All I'm trying to say is that there is a large amount of the population who don't download demos, who don't read the back of boxes and just see the adverts on TV and buy the game off that and the name. Obviously, there are consumers who aren't informed buyers and make purchases like this. That's all.

Also, my two friends actually ended up liking the game, they only play LAN, so the co-op was awesome for them.

h3ro said:
I had 5 friends buy it knowing it was a RTS and they don't even own 360s.!!

I don't believe all these friend stories...

h3ro said:

What the hell?

Every gamestop (and best buy) in America has rows and rows of game cases on display.

How come this magical franchise ignorance and mass returns doesn't carry over or apply to games like RE Outbreak or Umbrella Chronicles, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, FF Tactics, NFL Head Coach, or any of a gazillion Mario spin-offs?

Give consumers a little credit, its not like MS is trying to sell a turd in a box.

2eygkn5.png

Sweden week 9, 2009

I have NO idea what's going on in this week's list.

01. Killzone 2 (PS3)
02. Halo Wars (360)
03. Här kommer Pippi Långstrump (PC)
04. Dora Utforskaren: Djuräventyr (PC)
05. Wii Fit (Wii)
06. Singstar Svenska hits Schlager (PS2)
07. World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King (PC)
08. Dora Utforskaren: Försvunna stadens äventyr (PC)
09. Singstar Svenska hits (PS2)
10. Singstar 80's (PS2)
11. Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War 2 (PC)
12. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (360)
13. Street Fighter 4 (360)
14. Fem myror är fler än fyra elefanter samling (PC)
15. Lek & Lär Förskolan: Husdjursakuten (PC)
16. New Super Mario Bros (DS)
17. Street Fighter 4 (PS3)
18. Kalas med Rut och Knut (PC)
19. World of Warcraft (PC)
20. Counter-Strike 1: Anthology (PC)

h3ro said:
Both the GameCrazy and Gamestop by my house have the walls covered with the used titles (older games), and display racks with the cover art for new releases. I don't know if they had Halo Wars displayed (I'm sure they did) because I don't really frequent them often.

All I'm trying to say is that there is a large amount of the population who don't download demos, who don't read the back of boxes and just see the adverts on TV and buy the game off that and the name. Obviously, there are consumers who aren't informed buyers and make purchases like this. That's all.

Also, my two friends actually ended up liking the game, they only play LAN, so the co-op was awesome for them.
the last we know --17 million people were connected to xbox live, if they know that much to get connected, they know how to download demos.

Kujo

methane47 said:
the Lands down under just HAD to be different didn't they....

Totallly messed up the Sweep
Well about Australia and New Zealand, Halo Wars is given away for free with every console bought until the end of March and these are tracked as they are seperate. What I heard was KZ2 did edge it out after looking at just the standalone copies, at least for Aus.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Mojo said:
Well about Australia and New Zealand, Halo Wars is given away for free with every console bought until the end of March and these are tracked as they are seperate. What I heard was KZ2 did edge it out after looking at just the standalone copies, at least for Aus.
So Halo Wars is a system seller?

cjelly said:
So Halo Wars is a system seller?
Has to be... either that or you have to assume that the 360 is selling a shitload over there if it's putting a serious impact on the software charts.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Neo-Sheperd said:
Convo I had with friends house mate. The game needs more exposure. This may actually get some people who have never been interested in RTS
games to actually take part in it depending on how well its market and knowing Microsoft and their robust
marketing campaign, I know they are not going to fail.

People are so busy saying that Halo fanatics are blindly buying what they think is a shooter that they don't stop to think that maybe these people will actually enjoy the game, even if they didn't expect it or have never played an RTS in their life.

The game is getting great reviews and most people I know who've played it said it's really enjoyable. I haven't so I have no idea how accessible it is, but if it's got the kind of pick-up-and-play design that Halo does then I don't think it matters that it's an RTS.

You'll end up with a lot of Halo fans picking it up, finding it a breeze to get used to, and loving the solid gameplay and refreshing change in their favourite franchise.

spwolf

Mojo said:

i was wondering whats up with that... thats in addition to already lowe price of 360, damn, they are selling it hard.

Kujo

Psychotext said:
Has to be... either that or you have to assume that the 360 is selling a shitload over there if it's putting a serious impact on the software charts.
The difference between KZ and HW was only a few thousand, so enough for it to change the top places around.

Also what a lot of people are doing is buying the console, and then trading Halo Wars in at EB, which they give a ridiculous $85 ($93 with EDGE) for the game (more than most stores are selling it), so you can use that to get basically any new release for free, or a couple of older releases. My friend bought a Pro and used HW to get Street Fighter 4 for free. Some EBs will even allow you to take the price of HW off the console making it AU$200 (US$127) for the Arcade.

Dragon

Banned
cjelly said:

The only one appearing desperate is you buddy boy.

methane47

Mojo said:

lol i'm not sure if you're joking or not

Kujo

methane47 said:
lol i'm not sure if you're joking or not
Ehhh, just mentioning the difference between KZ and HW was apparently close enough that the added 360 sales pushed HW to the top. We're a small market y'know.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
What the hell?

Every gamestop (and best buy) in America has rows and rows of game cases on display.

How come this magical franchise ignorance and mass returns doesn't carry over or apply to games like RE Outbreak or Umbrella Chronicles, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, FF Tactics, NFL Head Coach, or any of a gazillion Mario spin-offs?

Give consumers a little credit, its not like MS is trying to sell a turd in a box.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B000INV4H2/ref=cm_cr_dp_hist_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar

Idiot 1 said:
Ok, so not long ago i received Resident evil 4 for Christmas, and immediately became addicted to the game! you have a proper inventory and realistically ammo is in short supply which makes the game more exciting!

Also you can go wherever you want in the map, go back to find things you have missed, and the game is more flexible than this poor effort.

In Resident evil Chronicles, you can't control where you go, the game walks for you, so you just literally shoot things and pick them up if u can do so before the computer carries on walking, terrible!!!

Idiot 2 said:
Yes, its true, you could have read that it is on rails. But when I buy the 11th tomb raider game, why should i expect it is on rails???

For all those who gave 5 stars: Did you play just one of the bosses? Whats the fun pressing one button for 20 or 30 minutes? Writing an SMS is more exciting than this...

Did you play earlier REs? They were real fun...

Idiot 3 said:
Why have the makers of this game decided to put the characters 'on rails'? It is rubbish. I bought Resident Evil 4 and absolutely loved it so rushed out and bought this prequel. What a mistake-a to make-a. I have played these games on the Playstation and N64 and never experienced on rails gameplay before.

Idiot 4 said:
ive played previous resident evils and one of the best things about it was walking around YOURSELF and not where the game wants you to go
absolute rubbish game, what a waste of money
hope the next resident evil is better, which wont be hard

Idiot 5 said:
After playing RE 4 on the Wii I was really looking forward to the release of this game. The online reviews looked good but I was so dissapointed!! I did not realise that it was 'on rails' so your game is pretty much planned out and you have to just go around shooting

Idiot 6 said:
I couldn't wait for the release of this game as I'm a big fan and have played all the others. I bought this today and it's going back today!!
All I can say is... What a load of rubbish!!
The whole point to the previous Resident Evil games was the fact that you had the freedom to move wherever you liked. This game however has been created in the same style as Die Hard (Yippee- Ki-Ayyy!), to name but one. In other words, you move where the game makes you move.
:lol :lol :lol

Top Bottom