• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 1, 2011

DMeisterJ

Banned
JaseC said:
I don't understand why there's doubt regarding the number given Kaz Hirai mentioned at CES that it has now sold 5.5m copies.

'Sold' is 'sold to retail' as usual. We don't have any clue how it is doing outside of 5.5. mil in 12 days. Kaz was just reiterating the same thing.

But it's holding very strong in the UK even after Christmas. Racing is dead, GT5 is dead, etc.

DMeisterJ said:
But it's holding very strong in the UK even after Christmas. Racing is dead, GT5 is dead, etc.

It dropped by what 55% this week? Fair enough everything else is dropping too but i don't understand why everyone is talking about it's sales staying strong when it is dropping so fast.

Truespeed said:
So much for racing games not being relevant. GT5 on its way to 10 million...

I'm not so sure about this. The game has sold just over 500K in Japan (i think?) and i can't see it selling more than a couple of 100K more in its lifetime. I still think it won't come close to 2 million in the US.

So unless the sales remain absolutely insane in Europe (enough to see it sell like 7+ million in Europe alone) than 10 million isn't happening.

I also don't see how this indicates the racing genre isn't in a massive decline either. This is still only one franchise selling really well and even then it is a massive decline to what we have seen in the past.

Baki

AdventureRacing said:
It dropped by what 55% this week? Fair enough everything else is dropping too but i don't understand why everyone is talking about it's sales staying strong when it is dropping so fast.

I'm not so sure about this. The game has sold just over 500K in Japan (i think?) and i can't see it selling more than a couple of 100K more in its lifetime. I still think it won't come close to 2 million in the US.

So unless the sales remain absolutely insane in Europe (enough to see it sell like 7+ million in Europe alone) than 10 million isn't happening.

I also don't see how this indicates the racing genre isn't in a massive decline either. This is still only one franchise selling really well and even then it is a massive decline to what we have seen in the past.

I guarantee you that it will hit 10M LTD.

nli10

Kenka said:
Wow.

DK... where are you :'-(

edit : wth, Just Dance is at n°9 ? How much money is Ubisoft racking in ?

EatChildren said:
What the fuck is wrong with the UK? DKCR not even in the top 40?

If Retro get shafted I'm coming for your blood. All your bloods.

Majine said:
DKCR was not the follow-up to NSMBWii Ninty had hoped, so it seems.

swerve said:
Yeah, but something's up when DKC is being outsold by so many other Wii games. Where is it in the Wii chart?

Edit: number 7. Behind GoldenEye. The battle of the ex-Rare franchises.

Nuclear Muffin said:
DKCR was sabotaged by Game's price increase. Simple as.

I'm not sure why, but Nintendo currently aren't restocking the channel with DKCR at the moment - for all intents and purposes it is completely sold out. Any chart action is on smaller stores and odd copies here and there. GAMEs price hike was on account of the fact they knew that they couldn't get more copies.

We've seen this before with Nintendo Europe around Xmas - they 'kill' a high profile title that they know they can't fully stock so that it surges back into the chart later. DKCR outperformed their expectations so they are preparing for a relaunch and building stocks.

Not sure why they would have to do this with a disk only game (it's usually the pack ins that this happens to).

Wii Party Solus is limited stock & Wiimote bundle is delisted the same as DKCR.

Will say if I get word that they are able to reorder stock in UK stores.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
DMeisterJ said:
Most games who eventually hit 10 million units sold are bundled, why it matters here is beyond me.
Of course, most games that sell high get bundled. They tend to be good games that people would want in bundles.

I'm just saying that currently it looks unlikely to sell 10m copies at retail.

Baki

user_nat said:
Before or after spending years in value bundles?

LTD means life time to date. As in, by the time the game is taken off store shelves and no longer stocked.

spwolf

user_nat said:
Of course, most games that sell high get bundled. They tend to be good games that people would want in bundles.

I'm just saying that currently it looks unlikely to sell 10m copies at retail.

bundles are not sold at retail? :)

spwolf said:

To me when someone describes a games sales as holding strong that means it didn't drop very much. GT5 dropped by 40% last week and a further 55% this week.

I understand that all games are going to drop after christmas. That doesn't change the fact that GT5 is dropping fast and for all we know it might keep on dropping this fast.

Baki said:

How can you guarantee that? I mean i wouldn't be surprised if one day we get an announcement that GT5 has shipped 10 million units but if it does get there it will be close. I think it could go either way but there is no way i could guarantee what will happen.

Where exactly are you expecting it sell that much?

AdventureRacing said:
How can you guarantee that? I mean i wouldn't be surprised if one day we get an announcement that GT5 has shipped 10 million units but if it does get there it will be close. I think it could go either way but there is no way i could guarantee what will happen.

Where exactly are you expecting it sell that much?

It would be a safe bet. I mean, Prologue eventually passed 5M after 3 years. GT5 did that in 12 days, it can do double that in it's life time for sure.

test_account

XP-39C²
AdventureRacing said:
To me when someone describes a games sales as holding strong that means it didn't drop very much. GT5 dropped by 40% last week and a further 55% this week.

I understand that all games are going to drop after christmas. That doesn't change the fact that GT5 is dropping fast and for all we know it might keep on dropping this fast.
To take another example, Just Dance 2 was released 14th October in EU. About 2.5 months later, the game managed to chart at #1 (and has Just Dance 2 ever charted outside top 10 by the way?). Eventhough the game had a 45% drop this week compare to last week, wouldnt you agree that the game has been holding quite strong? :)

Baki said:

Really?

10M is a shitload of copies, and GT hasn't exactly set the world on fire in Japan or the US (pending the upcoming NPD). Granted it does seem to be performing well in Europe as expected but I think you're either overestimating GT5's appeal or underestimating how huge 10M copies is. Or both.

_Alkaline_ said:
Really?

10M is a shitload of copies, and GT hasn't exactly set the world on fire in Japan or the US (pending the upcoming NPD). Granted it does seem to be performing well in Europe as expected but I think you're either overestimating GT5's appeal or underestimating how huge 10M copies is. Or both.

It's selling on par with GT4 which comfortably exceeded 10m.

Rad-

Does it really matter if it sells 10 million or "just" 8-9 million? Geez you remind me of the people who said Halo brand is dying as Reach didn't sell 8+ million straight out of the door. :lol

tzare

wow at some people trying to see only negative things about GT5, especially that bundle related post. It is doing well as expected, where it has been strong ,europe, including UK which is where ps3 is weaker. There are a lot of games that only sell huge amounts in specific countries.

Jokeropia

Lagspike_exe said:
It's selling on par with GT4 which comfortably exceeded 10m.
GT4 eventually shipped just over 11 million, but GT5 is not selling on par with it in either Japan or US so far.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
DMeisterJ said:
Most games who eventually hit 10 million units sold are bundled, why it matters here is beyond me.
It matters from revenue generation point of view.

On the other hand it is hard to assess the impact because a bundled game also helps with selling more consoles. So it can be argued that at least some of the lost revenue is recovered.

In any case, I am not sure why some people insist GT5 is not performing well in Europe. IMO at the very least it is meeting the expectations. US -might be- another story. But Forza also bombed in US. Big time.

Hanmik

Denmark:

1 Call of Duty: Black Ops
2 Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
3 FIFA 11
4 Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
5 Gran Turismo 5
6 Wii Fit Plus
7 Medal of Honor
8 New Super Mario Bros. Wii
9 Mario Kart Wii
10 Wii Sports Resort
11 Just Dance 2
12 World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
13 Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II
14 The Sims 3
15 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
16 Pixeline Skolehjælp: Lær at Stave
17 The Sims 3: Late Night
18 New Super Mario Bros.
19 Super Mario Galaxy 2
20 Pixeline Skolehjælp: Dinosaurer

source: http://www.gamereactor.dk/nyheder/82070/Den+danske+spil-top+20/

dabra

2ry58hv.png

Finland:
Week 51 + 52, 2010

01 (02) Call Of Duty Black Ops (Activision-Blizzard)
02 (03) Gran Turismo 5 (Sony)
03 (04) SingStar SuomiHitit (Sony)
04 (05) NHL 11 (Electronic Arts)
05 (__) The Sims 3 (Electronic Arts)
06 (07) Sly Trilogy HD Collection (Sony)
07 (__) Assasin's Creed Brotherhood (Ubisoft)
08 (08) FIFA 11 (Electronic Arts)
09 (06) Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo)
10 (10) Sports Champions (Sony)

Italy Chart:

Top 10 Console
1 GRAN TURISMO 5 PS3 SONY
2 CALL OF DUTY BLACK OPS PS3 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
3 PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2011 PS3 KONAMI
4 KINECT ADVENTURES + KINECT X-BOX 360 MICROSOFT
5 ASSASSIN’S CREED BROTHERHOOD PS3 UBISOFT
6 FIFA 11 PS3 ELECTRONIC ARTS
7 JUST DANCE 2 WII UBISOFT
8 PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2011 PS2 KONAMI
9 EA SPORTS ACTIVE PERSONAL TRAINER WII ELECTRONIC ARTS
10 WII PARTY WII NINTENDO

Top 10 PC
1 CALL OF DUTY BLACK OPS PC ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
2 WORLD OF WARCRAFT PRE PAID CARD 2 MESI PC ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
3 THE SIMS 3 PC ELECTRONIC ARTS
4 FOOTBALL MANAGER 2011 PC SEGA
5 WORLD OF WARCRAFT CATACLYSM PC ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
6 PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2011 PC KONAMI
7 THE SIMS 3 LATE NIGHT PC ELECTRONIC ARTS
8 FIFA 11 PC ELECTRONIC ARTS
9 ASSASSIN’S CREED II PC UBISOFT
10 WORLD OF WARCRAFT WRATH OF THE LICH KING PC ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

Top 10 DS
1 PROFESSOR LAYTON E IL FUTURO PERDUTO NINTENDO
2 NEW SUPER MARIO BROS NINTENDO
3 ART ACADEMY NINTENDO
4 MARIO KART NINTENDO
5 POKEMON RANGER TRACCE DI LUCE NINTENDO
6 POKEMON ARGENTO SOULSILVER + POKEWALKER NINTENDO
7 PROFESSOR LAYTON E LO SCRIGNO DI PANDORA NINTENDO
8 COOKING MAMA WORLD HOBBIES & FUN 505 GAMES
9 POKEMON ORO HEARTGOLD + POKEWALKER NINTENDO
10 TRAINING FOR YOUR EYES NINTENDO

Top 10 PS2
1 PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2011 KONAMI
2 FIFA 11 ELECTRONIC ARTS
3 BLACK ELECTRONIC ARTS
4 NEED FOR SPEED CARBON ELECTRONIC ARTS
5 GRAND THEFT AUTO SAN ANDREAS PLATINUM ROCKSTAR GAMES
6 NEED FOR SPEED MOST WANTED ELECTRONIC ARTS
7 THE SIMS 2 ELECTRONIC ARTS
8 WWE SMACKDOWN VS RAW 2011 THQ
9 IL PADRINO ELECTRONIC ARTS
10 MEDAL OF HONOR VANGUARD ELECTRONIC ARTS

Top 10 PS3
1 GRAN TURISMO 5 SONY
2 CALL OF DUTY BLACK OPS ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
3 PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2011 KONAMI
4 ASSASSIN’S CREED BROTHERHOOD UBISOFT
5 FIFA 11 ELECTRONIC ARTS
6 SPORTS CHAMPIONS SONY
7 ASSASSIN’S CREED UBISOFT
8 NEED FOR SPEED HOT PURSUIT LIMITED EDITION ELECTRONIC ARTS
9 ASSASSIN’S CREED II UBISOFT
10 FALLOUT NEW VEGAS BETHESDA SOFTWORKS

Top 10 PSP

1 PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2011 KONAMI
2 INVIZIMALS LE CREATURE OMBRA + CAM SONY
3 FIFA 11 ELECTRONIC ARTS
4 GOD OF WAR GHOST OF SPARTA SONY
5 NEED FOR SPEED MOST WANTED PLATINUM ELECTRONIC ARTS
6 NEED FOR SPEED CARBON OWN THE CITY PLATINUM ELECTRONIC ARTS
7 EYEPET + CAM SONY
8 ASSASSIN’S CREED II BLOODLINES UBISOFT
9 MEDAL OF HONOR HEROES 2 PLATINUM ELECTRONIC ARTS
10 INVIZIMALS LE CREATURE OMBRA SONY

Top 10 WII

1 JUST DANCE 2 UBISOFT
2 EA SPORTS ACTIVE PERSONAL TRAINER ELECTRONIC ARTS
3 WII PARTY NINTENDO
4 WII FIT PLUS + BALANCE BOARD NINTENDO
5 DONKEY KONG COUNTRY RETURNS NINTENDO
6 NEW SUPER MARIO BROS NINTENDO
7 MARIO KART + WII WHEEL NINTENDO
8 WII SPORTS RESORT + WII MOTION PLUS NINTENDO
9 MICHAEL JACKSON THE EXPERIENCE UBISOFT
10 RAYMAN RAVING RABBIDS 2 UBISOFT

Top 10 X-BOX 360
1 KINECT ADVENTURES + KINECT MICROSOFT
2 KINECT SPORTS MICROSOFT
3 CALL OF DUTY BLACK OPS ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
4 FIFA 11 ELECTRONIC ARTS
5 ASSASSIN’S CREED BROTHERHOOD UBISOFT
6 PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2011 KONAMI
7 YOUR SHAPE FITNESS EVOLVED KINECT UBISOFT
8 DANCE CENTRAL KINECT MICROSOFT
9 ASSASSIN’S CREED II UBISOFT
10 MOTION SPORTS KINECT UBISOFT

legend166

The only way Gran Turismo 5 is getting to 10 million is if it sells 7 million in Europe. And that's assuming decent legs in the US.

So it's going to need to be the most successful Gran Turismo game ever in Europe. That's not going to happen.

legend166 said:
The only way Gran Turismo 5 is getting to 10 million is if it sells 7 million in Europe. And that's assuming decent legs in the US.

So it's going to need to be the most successful Gran Turismo game ever in Europe. That's not going to happen.

It's probably going to be the only GT game this generation, so that could help. It's not like GT games don't sell a ton in Europe as GT4 sold 6.6m there.

f@luS

More than a member.
legend166 said:

it will do one million easy in japan and 3 millions in USA with bundles , greatest hits and everything.

6 millions in europe is possible i think?

sensi97

As usual, PD will update the GT5 numbers in february after Sony's next quarterly report. Next shipment info we'll give us an idea (and so on). In other words, time will tell :)

f@luS said:
it will do one million easy in japan and 3 millions in USA with bundles , greatest hits and everything.

6 millions in europe is possible i think?

GT5 will not get anywhere near 1 million in Japan. GT5 will not get anywhere near 3 million in the US.

For GT5 to each 10 million WW it is going to have to become the best selling GT in Europe.

Loudninja

AdventureRacing said:
GT5 will not get anywhere near 1 million in Japan. GT5 will not get anywhere near 3 million in the US.

For GT5 to each 10 million WW it is going to have to become the best selling GT in Europe.
In NA it will most likely reach 3 million.

KingDizzi

Banned
AdventureRacing said:

Which is more than plausible, the game is holding up well in all EU countries. At worst the game is going to finish at 600k in Japan, 1.5 million in NA and 5 million in EU. Absolute worst case scenario though, personally expect the game to piss past 6 million in EU and 1.5 million in NA, it's currently on 960k in NA so lifetime sales of 7-8 million. Horrible for a GT game but hopefully lessons have been learnt and GT6 will fix alot of quality issues. A great quality GT6 will take care of itself no problem, the GT name is still pretty strong.

Loudninja

Nordic chart

Week 1 2011
Multiformat

1. CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS
2. ASSASSINS CREED: BROTHERHOOD
3. FIFA 2011
4. NEED FOR SPEED: HOT PURSUIT
5. NEW SUPER MARIO BROS
6. THE SIMS 3
7. GRAN TURISMO 5
8. BATTLEFIELD BAD COMPANY 2
9. THE SIMS 3: LATE NIGHT
10. WORLD OF WARCRAFT: CATACLYSM
11. MARIO KART
12. KINECT SPORTS
13. NHL 11
14. MEDAL OF HONOR
15. CALL OF DUTY 6: MODERN WARFARE 2
16. READ DEAD REDEMPTION
17. STAR WARS: THE FORCE UNLEASHED II
18. LEGO STAR WARS: COMPLETE SAGA
19. THE SIMS 3: AMBITIONS
20. WII FIT PLUS

http://www.swedishgamesindustry.com/nordic-chart.aspx

Loudninja said:
In NA it will most likely reach 3 million.

I'm curious what makes you think this. It has started slower than GT4 despite releasing in the holiday period. It's also on a console with a much smaller install base which tends to also have much more frontloaded games.

So what makes you think it will have far better legs than GT4?

Fafalada said:
Which would be on par with GT4.

Wouldn't that be 500K more than GT4? Either way GT5 has to keep pace with the best ever selling version of the franchise in Europe just to reach 10 million which would still be a decent decline.

dabra

2up4lc5.png

Germany:
Week 1, 2011

01 (01) [WII] Wii Party (Nintendo)
02 (04) [WII] Donkey Kong Country Returns (Nintendo)
03 (09) [WII] Wii Fit Plus + Balance Board (Nintendo)
04 (02) [PS3] Gran Turismo 5 (Sony)
05 (05) [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo)
06 (__) [PS3] Fifa 11 (Electronic Arts)
07 (03) [PS3] Call Of Duty: Black Ops (Activision Blizzard)
08 (__) [360] Kinect Adventures (Microsoft)
09 (06) [360] Kinect Sports (Microsoft)
10 (__) [WII] Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo)

2eygkn5.png

Sweden:
Week 1, 2011

01 (02) [360] Kinect Sports
02 (01) [PC] World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
03 (03) [PS3] Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
04 (04) [360] Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
05 (13) [PC] The Sims 3: Late Night
06 (05) [PS3] Gran Turismo 5
07 (12) [NDS] New Super Mario Bros.
08 (08) [PS3] FIFA 11
09 (06) [PS3] Call Of Duty: Black Ops
10 (07) [360] Call Of Duty: Black Ops
11 (19) [PC] The Sims 3
12 (09) [360] FIFA 11
13 (15) [WII] Donkey Kong Country Returns
14 (17) [PS3] NHL 11
15 (10) [360] Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
16 (__) [WII] New Super Mario Bros Wii
17 (16) [360] Kinect Adventures
18 (14) [PC] Call Of Duty: Black Ops
19 (20) [360] Halo Reach
20 (__) [360] NHL 11

nv4pxy.png

Ireland:
Week 1, 2011 - Entertainment Software (All Prices)

01 (01) Fifa 11 (Electronic Arts)
02 (02) Call Of Duty: Black Ops (Activision Blizzard)
03 (06) Just Dance 2 (Ubisoft)
04 (04) Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (Ubisoft)
05 (03) Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit (Electronic Arts)
06 (07) The Sims 3 (Electronic Arts)
07 (05) Gran Turismo 5 (Sony Computer Ent.)
08 (08) Kinect Sports (Microsoft)
09 (09) Fallout: New Vegas (Bethesda Softworks)
10 (__) Art Academy (Nintendo)
11 (17) Just Dance (Ubisoft)
12 (13) New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo)
13 (10) Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare (Take 2)
14 (12) Dance Central (Microsoft)
15 (16) New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
16 (__) Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo)
17 (14) Medal Of Honor (Electronic Arts)
18 (__) Professor Layton And The Lost Future (Nintendo)
19 (__) Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo)
20 (__) Wwe Smackdown Vs Raw 2011 (Thq)

Serenity

Are Europe japan and the u.s. the only places in the world gt5 is being sold? It will do 8million plus easily are people really trying to make that seem bad?

Top Bottom