• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 14, 2014

gtj1092

I never post this so I'll do it this week. Along with the weekly top 50, GamesMarkt also publishes the software percentage by platform for the best-selling 100 games of the year.

yW8JH.png

Germany:
Top 100 Best-Selling Games of 2014

(01.01.2014 - 23.03.2014)

PS3 - 30,6%
PC - 22%
3DS - 11,3%
360 - 10,9%
PS4 - 8,3%
WII - 8,3%
WIU - 2,9%

Rest of Platforms - 5,7%

HELP ;)

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Yoshi's New Island>>Titanfall in Germany still, this is starting to get hilarious

Am I allowed to say that I, personally think it's well deserved, because
(1) my nickname is Yoshi
(2) Yoshi's New Island can be played "Always Offline"
:D?

Yoshi seems to do really well here in Germany, I'm glad to see that!

First 3 months? So including Titanfall and Infamous SS? That's not good at all.

The first three months last year brought Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite, both of which were big hits. Overall last year had more solid early releases than this year. MG Rising, DMC, GoW:A, Ni no Kuni, Dead Space 3 etc.

The first three months last year brought Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite, both of which were big hits. Overall last year had more solid early releases than this year. MG Rising, DMC, GoW:A, Ni no Kuni, Dead Space 3 etc.

Most of those didn't perform so well, I believe Ni no and DS3 were the only ones to hit number and even then the numbers weren't great.

Most of those didn't perform so well, I believe Ni no and DS3 were the only ones to hit number and even then the numbers weren't great.

not all were hits but compared to this year there was a quantity of releases, there was also Aliens which despite its shitness sold decent, crysis 3, Starcraft 2, gears judgement

not all were hits but compared to this year there was a quantity of releases, there was also Aliens which despite its shitness sold decent, crysis 3, Starcraft 2, gears judgement

Ah, okay. Yeah, in terms of quantity, the same period in 2013 has this year beat and quite handily too.

Hopefully we'll get some hard numbers soon as well as a platform breakdown.

Raist

Banned
AUS/NZ charts up.

Dat cricket.

AUS
1 The LEGO Movie Videogame
2 The Elder Scrolls Online
3 Don Bradman Cricket 14
4 inFAMOUS Second Son
5 Call Of Duty: Ghosts
6 FIFA 14
7 Diablo III: Reaper of Souls
8 Battlefield 4
9 Assassin's Creed: Black Flag
10 Grand Theft Auto V

NZ
1 The Elder Scrolls Online
2 inFAMOUS Second Son
3 Don Bradman Cricket 14
4 Call Of Duty: Ghosts
5 Minecraft
6 Battlefield 4
7 Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
8 Grand Theft Auto V
9 FIFA 14
10 Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster

Guymelef

AUS/NZ charts up.

Dat cricket.

AUS
1 The LEGO Movie Videogame
2 The Elder Scrolls Online
3 Don Bradman Cricket 14
4 inFAMOUS Second Son
5 Call Of Duty: Ghosts
6 FIFA 14
7 Diablo III: Reaper of Souls
8 Battlefield 4
9 Assassin's Creed: Black Flag
10 Grand Theft Auto V

NZ
1 The Elder Scrolls Online
2 inFAMOUS Second Son
3 Don Bradman Cricket 14
4 Call Of Duty: Ghosts
5 Minecraft
6 Battlefield 4
7 Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
8 Grand Theft Auto V
9 FIFA 14
10 Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster

Where is my Titan?

jvm

Gamasutra.
It is my belief that past-gen is eroding far more quickly than new-gen can grow. So UK market is suffering. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see at least 5% going full-digital at this point, which eventually will grow to 10% by end of year. But I'm bullish on digital transition, and I know I'm not in the majority on that.

It is my belief that past-gen is eroding far more quickly than new-gen can grow. So UK market is suffering. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see at least 5% going full-digital at this point, which eventually will grow to 10% by end of year. But I'm bullish on digital transition, and I know I'm not in the majority on that.

This is troubling and not all together unrealistic given what we've seen.

This year's Assassin's Creeds should shed light on how things sit later this year as will the Borderlands Prequel

dolemite

Amazon UK has XBone Titanfall bundle for the same price as PS4, both are in stock. It's gonna be interesting to see if more UK retailers will follow or if it's just an "experiment" by one retailer.

Mung

Amazon UK has XBone Titanfall bundle for the same price as PS4, both are in stock. It's gonna be interesting to see if more UK retailers will follow or if it's just an "experiment" by one retailer.

How long has it been at that price?

iceatcs

Many store start from £369.99 Titanfall bundle day one.

Damn, that is just crazy. I guess TF isn't having the effect MS wanted. These charts also pretty much confirm that outside NA/UK, the X1 is pretty much irrelevant. Assuming it did 20 million throughout Europe last gen, that 20 million is probably gone. And I very much doubt they'll get anywhere near 40 million+ in the US or 8 million+ in the UK, not with a competitive PS4. My predictions may just be right (that it sells at best half what the 360 did).

And with all these price cuts I wonder at which point people will just wait it out. It seems the price gets lower every week so why not wait till it's cheaper at this point?

gtj1092

Now we wait and see if it sells more than ps4 on there. Xb1 has more and better exclusives and now its essentially cheaper with kinect and titanfall bundled in.

gtj1092

And the "more" is downright false. PS4 has way more games that aren't on X1. I don't get why this line of thought continues.

All I'm trying to say is that the reason ps4 is selling better is the price. When priced the same the more TV ready mass market console should sell better plus its home to the years biggest killer app. Which is bundled in.

All I'm trying to say is that the reason ps4 is selling better is the price. When priced the same the more TV ready mass market console should sell better plus its home to the years biggest killer app. Which is bundled in.
Lol. Titanfall is far from the biggest game of the year.

Now we wait and see if it sells more than ps4 on there. Xb1 has more and better exclusives and now its essentially cheaper with kinect and titanfall bundled in.

More and better and funner than PS4.

Those games you say everybody wants, I don't want no matter how killer-appy they might be.

I understand what you're trying to say, but I disagree completely. It's not just price that's getting the PS4 to sell well. Even at the same price as the PS4, the best the X1 can hope for is parity in NA and maybe the UK (where it's already the same, if not cheaper price anyways). Everywhere else in the world, it's entirely irrelevant. "TV-Ready" means nothing, it's a gaming console. The only real difference is that the X1 has the HDMI input, and ridiculous paywalls.

And I won't comment on your second point because I believe it's up to preference; however, let me ask you this. If Titanfall was such a killer app, why did MS have to throw it in for free and issue price cuts in order to get it moving? I"m assuming it wasn't the killer app you think it is.

Weather you guys like the game or titanfall has had the most hype this year. Weather or not if think it was manufactured or not the hype was there.

I won't disagree with that, but man, that hype died down quick. Now don't get me wrong, TF is a great game for the crowd it's aiming at (I personally have a lot of issues with it, bu that's beside the point); however, it seems that people were expecting too much. It came out and it's a good game but it's not the revolutionary, ground breaking game it was hyped up to be. And clearly, it's not exactly doing what MS wanted it to.

gtj1092

Weather you guys like the game or titanfall has had the most hype this year. Weather or not if think it was manufactured or not the hype was there.

How does that have anything to do with it being the "years biggest killer app"?

No matter how much marketing would love for it to be true hype does not automatically equate to being a "killer app". That is still to be decided in the coming months, not that "killer app" has any actual objective definition to go off of in the first place though as it itself is a marketing term

Tratorn

Destiny and Watch Dogs are also new IPs this year and will probably sell better than Titanfall. Internet-Hype doesn't mean anything.

Steroyd

The most hype thus far, there's still 8 months to go and you can bet Destiny will give it a run for it's money plus the likes of Fifa and COD are almost De facto going to be the biggest titles of the year.

This is troubling and not all together unrealistic given what we've seen.

This year's Assassin's Creeds should shed light on how things sit later this year as will the Borderlands Prequel

Yeah, it's pretty worrying that the uptake, while strong, isn't strong or fast enough to keep up with the drop off from last gen. Wonder where those gamers are going?

Mobile? PC?

I don't know if posted...

Beyond: Two Souls (PS3) > 100k
Pokémon X (3DS) > 200k
Just Dance 2014 (Wii) > 200k

BIU Sales Award (Germany)

http://www.biu-online.de/de/presse/...chsten-computer-und-videospiele-im-maerz.html

Sad inFAMOUS didn't reached 100k in March... neither Titanfall.

Dang, dragonborn. That's two spare rooms and a full attics worth.

Yeah, it's pretty worrying that the uptake, while strong, isn't strong or fast enough to keep up with the drop off from last gen. Wonder where those gamers are going?

Mobile? PC?

Hmm I'm not sure they've left the market quite yet. What I think it might be is less compelling software choices at hand to be honest. I think the selection last year around this time might have been more compelling to your average buyer.

Dang, dragonbane. That's two spare rooms and a full attics worth.

Fixed that for you

You're wrong

"killer apps" much like "system seller" is an empty term that has no agreed upon definition. I'm sure Phat's [I don't know how to shorten your name without sounding offensive] could define it in such a way for sales to be irrelevant and that wouldn't be wrong

Hmm I'm not sure they've left the market quite yet. What I think it might be is less compelling software choices at hand to be honest. I think the selection last year around this time might have been more compelling to your average buyer.

Yeah, that's certainly a good point and there's not really much in terms of compelling software until much later this year. As you said, Ass Creed and Borderlands 3 (I refuse to call it a pre-sequel) will be the ones to watch

Fixed that for you

Ah, dang it. Thanks for the correction.

You're wrong

No, I don't think he is. I though Killer App implied a game that would push people to buy a console in large amounts. Titanfall gave the X1 a boost but it was pretty short lived, so I wouldn't say it's a killer app. I mean, by that logic inFamous is also a killer app, but I don't view it as such either.

Yeah, that's certainly a good point and there's not really much in terms of compelling software until much later this year. As you said, Ass Creed and Borderlands 3 (I refuse to call it a pre-sequel) will be the ones to watch

Ah, dang it. Thanks for the correction.
The funny thing about pre-sequel is that there is an actual term for it, interquel.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Huh! Then what does?
It's all highly subjective but just to give an example, Minecraft has sold 12+ mil on 360. Would you define that as a "killer app"? What about Black Ops which has sold about the same? Keep in mind these are games that are available pretty much anywhere and are two of the best selling games on the platform.

Top Bottom