• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 29, 2017

Mory Dunz

Crash sales are N-Sane. I knew it wouldo do well but this is way way beyond what I expected.

Splatoon 2 sales are meh. Arms sales overall are disappointing. The Switch seems to be stuck in the mud with these big releases. Some of it is definitely install base but I still feel like it's an under performance. I wonder if the game price has a part to do with it. 59% increase over thr first game at a higher price. Wonder if it will see a boost through promotions.

Yeah, I haven't been blown away by ARMS at all. That game might end up disappointing (my expectations were different than people saying 1-2m WW LTD tho) Splatoon 2 remains to be seen. Japan opening may be higher than I thought and I wouldn't be surprised if the NPD opening is better than we give it credit for. Overall, didn't Splatoon 1 sell comparable in NA to JPN despite the Japan craze?

I do wonder if the MP aspects of these games makes it less likely for people to get all of them so close to another. How many people have Zelda, MK8, Splatoon, and ARMS. (and 1-2 Switch). That's a lot of MP content. I definitely wouldn't have all those games by this point. Well, i don't have a Switch anyway.

The only game I've seen advertised here in the UK this past few weeks has been 1-2 Switch.

Maybe they'll start advertising it later on.

Floods and looks of it on kids TV haha with it being summer my boy has Cartoon Network on in his room most of the day and there is tons of Nintendo stuff between the 3ds and the switch, even back to back lol I guess that's where they're focusing right now. Right enough I see little to none on normal channels but I also don't watch much live TV either so can't comment to much on that.

I do see a fair amount of Splatoon 2 ads on YouTube but I'm not sure how selective/targeted that is

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I mean... There has to be a reason why you got that tag for one.

Regarding you 2nd point, i got called a console warrior shitposter by a mod and got a 3 week ban for mocking the switch's voice chat system when it was first revealed. Another week for asking people not to discuss about the switch in the mh world thread. Thats just how it is, best learn to deal with it since ive seen you get bothered a lot by any criticism thrown at nintendo.

I really dont see how saying that Splatoon 2 is underperforming in the UK is any kind of criticism towards Nintendo...or why i should care about this or defend Nintendo for it. Im part of sales-gaf and when people who are regulars as well post stuff i dont initially agree with ill ask them about it.

I was banned for discussing potential reasons why Capcom would skip Nintendo platforms for their current Remasters of 8-bit games - so did many other in that same thread later on without getting banned, i got this tag because i argued that people comparing Amiibo DLC with loot/gacha systems are missing the point the OP was trying to make in his thread.....this was a single and my first post in that thread. Guess now im "officially" branded as a Nintendo fanboy so any type of normal discussions will be even more difficult...so i guess it worked ? lol

I know why these things happen...but well cant do anything about it.

Dont even need to bring up how often i criticized Nintendo for some of their actions especially last gen - but some people still will look at you like a crazy person if you dont overreact on every single Nintendo related issue.

Even trying to get a Splatoon 2 UK performance discussion going on in this thread ended in the same way as many other discussions....the two persons i asked with Kenzodielocke and Mory Dunz actually responded and i understood where they stand - no issues. Why not just let it be instead of instigating the fanboy/console warrior BS with every discussion....and most of the time its from bystanders who arent even part od the discussion but have to force escalation somehow (not talking about you).

Well enough of that.
yea....you probably already know the difference between my type of post and something like this lol:

Yeah, this is why i asked. I know a lot of sales GAF consists of drive-by and console warrior BS, so i mostly dont even bother...but i asked you because i knew that you would get back to me as regulars and that you would reason or could back up being a bit disappointed with the performance.

Gradivus

Yeah, I haven't been blown away by ARMS at all. That game might end up disappointing (my expectations were different than people saying 1-2m WW LTD tho) Splatoon 2 remains to be seen. Japan opening may be higher than I thought and I wouldn't be surprised if the NPD opening is better than we give it credit for. Overall, didn't Splatoon 1 sell comparable in NA to JPN despite the Japan craze?

I do wonder if the MP aspects of these games makes it less likely for people to get all of them so close to another. How many people have Zelda, MK8, Splatoon, and ARMS. (and 1-2 Switch). That's a lot of MP content. I definitely wouldn't have all those games by this point. Well, i don't have a Switch anyway.
What were your expectations for Arms? We know from Japan and one month of NA it has around 425,000 units sold. Thou I'm not sure what to expect from Europe. Seems to be only do well in France.

cw_sasuke

Good for Crash, will probably be the best selling platformer in a long long time in Europe

Hmm....UK loves Sonic but i dont know if Sonic Mania could do it. Its a cheaper release as well so this would help, especially if it gets great reviews.

Then again many ppl will probably just get the digital release. Who knows.....

Shiggy

Hmm....UK loves Sonic but i dont know if Sonic Mania could do it. Its a cheaper release as well so this would help, especially if it gets great reviews.

If Sonic somehow reaches no. 1 in the UK, it's finally my turn to say that they have shit taste.

cw_sasuke

If Sonic somehow reaches no. 1 in the UK, it's finally my turn to say that they have shit taste.

lol

I wasnt expecting the No. 1 spot - just that it outsells Crash by the time of its release as the best selling Plattformer. But maybe i misunderstood MrSwines post.

Mory Dunz

What were your expectations for Arms? We know from Japan and one month of NA it has around 425,000 units sold. Thou I'm not sure what to expect from Europe. Seems to be only do well in France.

3-4m with a leaning more towards 4.

That was LTD over years though.

Ricky 7

Splatoon 2 is the kind of game that probably did well on digital sales, specially since it's so small in file size and it is cheaper on foreign eShops than in UK retail.
It Is?! I bought it for £50 off the UK eShop, didn't even think about looking at other online stores.😢

Splatoon 1 was over a million in NA but we dont know by how much. It did well there. The second game should launch better too considering how Arms performed. Definitely looking to be 300k+. Possibly even 500k. Readong the NPD thread I thought I was the only one who didn't particular think Arms had a huge launch. I was expecting 300k+. The game is gonna struggle getting to 2 million. 1 million will probably be easily reached though.

The MP aspects of these games probably doesn't have a huge impact tbh. It's mainly ARMs and Splatoon 2 competing since they are online focused. Mario Kart thrives on local mp so not a huge issue. Mario + Rabbids will be a decent break from the competitive based games though.

Of those games you listed I have Mario Kart, Zelda and Splatoon. ARMs was too expensive for what it offered. I would have bought Splatoon 2 regardless but I got it for $50 Canadian and that's a good price from our regular $80. I normally wouldnt say this but there is just a fuck ton of first party realeases on Switch given its been 5 months.

RSchmitz

What is the next major title coming out? Crash could be number 1 for a while.

The first one that has a chance is maybe Uncharted LL, but many may have it as part of the season pass. After that Destiny 2?

Knack 2 won´t count since it´s not a game, it´s a life-changing experience.

Those were the days, makes a lot of sense when you consider that Jedward marketing campaign for Dragon Quest IX, and stuff like inviting Mr. Sakaguchi into London for The Last Story's launch.

MCV

I think Wii got to 8m units in the UK, so almost one in six people, or one in every 3 households (maybe). Crazy that combined install base that gen for Nintendo hardware was 18m in the UK alone.

DS got to 12 or 13 miliion in the end so over 20 million all together not 18

Mory Dunz

Splatoon 1 was over a million in NA but we dont know by how much. It did well there. The second game should launch better too considering how Arms performed. Definitely looking to be 300k+. Possibly even 500k. Readong the NPD thread I thought I was the only one who didn't particular think Arms had a huge launch. I was expecting 300k+. The game is gonna struggle getting to 2 million. 1 million will probably be easily reached though.

The MP aspects of these games probably doesn't have a huge impact tbh. It's mainly ARMs and Splatoon 2 competing since they are online focused. Mario Kart thrives on local mp so not a huge issue. Mario + Rabbids will be a decent break from the competitive based games though.

Of those games you listed I have Mario Kart, Zelda and Splatoon. ARMs was too expensive for what it offered. I would have bought Splatoon 2 regardless but I got it for $50 Canadian and that's a good price from our regular $80. I normally wouldnt say this but there is just a fuck ton of first party realeases on Switch given its been 5 months.

I wouldn't be surprised if Splatoon ended up selling about the same in NA to Japan.
NPD reported both Mario Maker and Splatoon were over 1m in Jan '16.
In week 1 of 2016 Media Create had Splatoon 1 at:
03./03. [WIU] Splatoon # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.05.28} (¥6.156) - 28.945 / 1.182.934 (-52%)

It was below 1m before Christmas season. So they seemed to line up pretty decently. I don't remember if there were bundles for either territory though.

I was one of the people who didn't think ARMS did all that well in NPD. I expected at least 300k. I think 2m LTD is still likely, it's just going to take a long time.

Yeah, mario rabbids will be interesting to see.

about splatoon 2 in NPD, I think your 300k floor is too low. If ARMS did 250k, no way splatoon does anything close. I want to say at least 500k+ but I'm nervous after my last prediction. Cause that'd still be well lower than Japan so it works.

What is the next major title coming out? Crash could be number 1 for a while.

Uncharted and Mario Rabbids. (is Sonic retail at all?)

This has to happen! it just has to!!!!!

The first one that has a chance is maybe Uncharted LL, but many may have it as part of the season pass. After that Destiny 2?

Knack 2 won´t count since it´s not a game, it´s a life-changing experience.
Yeah, Agents of Mayhem comes out Aug 15th but I don't know if it can top Crash. ULL is Aug 22nd and that will definitely be above it. So, barring any big price drop/bundles, Crash should be number 1 for another 4 weeks.

Of course, all of this is just discussion before the king returns. Knack is back.

Forgot about Rabbids. Possible but I find it unlikely. UK isn't as big on Nintendo products and Splatoon 2, the much bigger IP, couldn't beat Crash.

Edit - Mario Rabs comes out a week after ULL. So, ULL will take the number 1 spot before then either way.

bombshell

Yeah, Agents of Mayhem comes out Aug 15th but I don't know if it can top Crash. ULL is Aug 22nd and that will definitely be above it. So, barring any big price drop/bundles, Crash should be number 1 for another 4 weeks.

Of course, all of this is just discussion before the king returns. Knack is back.

Knack 2 is same day as Destiny 2, that's a sure number 1 for Knack 2.

Forgot about Rabbids. Possible but I find it unlikely. UK isn't as big on Nintendo products and Splatoon 2, the much bigger IP, couldn't beat Crash.

Edit - Mario Rabs comes out a week after ULL. So, ULL will take the number 1 spot before then either way.

Crash will also be older and selling smaller by then, so Rabbids don't have to beat Splatoon 2 to beat Crash in that week.

With the reaction to Rabbids at E3 I actually think it will beat Splatoon 2 anyway.

Roufianos

Sonic Mania is as niche a release as you can get from a major publisher. Not a chance.

Mory Dunz

That's crash in 4 weeks tho...

Splatoon really isn't a "much bigger IP". Remember that the original 3 crash games sold 6-7 million WW a piece, nothing to scoff at. In fact, until proven otherwise by Splatoon 2, Splatoon is still the smaller of the two IP. In the UK, furthermore, Crash is Nsanely popular, and is in fact the much bigger IP than Splatoon.

i thought he meant splatoon is bigger than mario+rabbids, but I could be wrong.

Zedark

Splatoon really isn't a "much bigger IP". Remember that the original 3 crash games sold 6-7 million WW a piece, nothing to scoff at. In fact, until proven otherwise by Splatoon 2, Splatoon is still the smaller of the two IP. In the UK, furthermore, Crash is Nsanely popular, and is in fact the much bigger IP than Splatoon.

I wouldn't be surprised if Splatoon ended up selling about the same in NA to Japan.
NPD reported both Mario Maker and Splatoon were over 1m in Jan '16.
In week 1 of 2016 Media Create had Splatoon 1 at:
03./03. [WIU] Splatoon # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.05.28} (¥6.156) - 28.945 / 1.182.934 (-52%)

It was below 1m before Christmas season. So they seemed to line up pretty decently. I don't remember if there were bundles for either territory though.

Splatoon got a bundle in Japan and NA. I don't think NPD includes bundles in thier sales rankings however. Its possible Splatoon was close to the Japan number in NA based off the data you stated. As I said I knew it crossed a million but I didn't know by how much.

I was one of the people who didn't think ARMS did all that well in NPD. I expected at least 300k. I think 2m LTD is still likely, it's just going to take a long time.

It will make it with price promotions and such but the struggle is real.

Yeah, mario rabbids will be interesting to see.

It's out in about a month. It's performance is gonna be entirely dictated by marketing. The concept is really good.

about splatoon 2 in NPD, I think your 300k floor is too low. If ARMS did 250k, no way splatoon does anything close. I want to say at least 500k+ but I'm nervous after my last prediction. Cause that'd still be well lower than Japan so it works.

I just meant 300k as a floor. I think it's going to be over 500k. The first game moved roughly 350k over a month and a few days in the US. The game is gonna be bigger than that imo. If it even had the same growth in the US as the UK oh boy

Something will overtake crash before that. Game can't float this high forever.

Splatoon is not a bigger IP than Crash in the UK. Splatoon is on its second game, the first coming off a failed system. Crash has been dormant but the games in these remasters were huge sellers. Crash sold more than and 3D Mario of recent memory in the UK.

13ruce

Banned

Splatoon 2 is gonna outsell crash remaster world wide tho in the long run.

Knack 2 is same day as Destiny 2, that's a sure number 1 for Knack 2.
Yeah, they probably figure D2 will have legs. They'll get what they can that first week against Knack 2.

Crash will also be older and selling smaller by then, so Rabbids don't have to beat Splatoon 2 to beat Crash in that week.

With the reaction to Rabbids at E3 I actually think it will beat Splatoon 2 anyway.
That's crash in 4 weeks tho...
True, but I guess it is a combination of not underestimating Crash and how UK takes Nintendo titles plus a feeling that Mario Rab won't do notably well. Not bad, but not all that good either. Just decent/okay.

Splatoon is not a bigger IP than Crash in the UK. Splatoon is on its second game, the first coming off a failed system. Crash has been dormant but the games in these remasters were huge sellers. Crash sold more than and 3D Mario of recent memory in the UK.
I was talking about Splat 2 vs Mario Rabs.

Zedark

Splatoon 2 is gonna outsell crash remaster world wide tho in the long run.
I would definitely think so. Still, the selective surprise about Crash selling so much better than Splatoon 2 in UK strikes me as an odd thing because Crash really is a big IP and is very popular in UK. From some comments made in the past few weeks you would think Crash was a minor IP.
I know plenty predicted bad numbers for Crash, which makes me scratch my head tbh

I would definitely think so. Still, the selective surprise about Crash selling so much better than Splatoon 2 in UK strikes me as an odd thing because Crash really is a big IP and is very popular in UK. From some comments made in the past few weeks you would think Crash was a minor IP.
I know plenty predicted bad numbers for Crash, which makes me scratch my head tbh
Don't think it's selective surprise when Crash is onits 4th week and this is Splatoon's launch week. I think Crash's performance so far has definitely been a bit of a surprise. Some people might have thought it would sell decently, but not THIS well. No need to downplay it as a foregone conclusion.

Shin-Ra

The problem is how many of them will be FULL-assed like the Crash one is?
Is full-assed 'Remaster+' or 'Remake'? &#128520;

XV2Ybi6.gif

ethomaz

Banned
Code:
[Week 26, 2017] 01 (NE) CRASH BANDICOOT N.SANE TRILOGY (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) > 110,000 / NEW
[Week 26, 2017] 01 (01) CRASH BANDICOOT N.SANE TRILOGY (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) > 24,000 / > 134,000 (-78%)
[Week 26, 2017] 03 (01) CRASH BANDICOOT N.SANE TRILOGY (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 18,000 / > 152,000
[Week 26, 2017] 01 (03) CRASH BANDICOOT N.SANE TRILOGY (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 29,000 / > 181,000 (+59%)

Crash Bandicoot: N.Sane Trilogy cumulative sales are above 181,000 units. First week numbers is based on it having a better debut than No Man's Sky which approximately sold 110,000 units.

We also know that Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age debuted selling over 18,000 units, this weeks the game had a huge 85% drop.
That is freaking amazing :)

Mory Dunz

I don't really see 30k fw for Mario Rabbids. But yea depends on advertising.

All in all, it doesn't seem like it matters much. Nintendo games seem to be a doing a small portion of their sales there. If we're talking multi million sellers.

Trash Bandicunt ought to have decent legs. Over here in Finland too they finally managed to get enough stock.

I wonder if PSX is too early to hear about their next project. I feel a combination of DLC levels and CTR would be the best of both worlds for now. I don't think they will jump to Spyro just yet.

I don't really see 30k fw for Mario Rabbids. But yea depends on advertising.

All in all, it doesn't seem like it matters much. Nintendo games seem to be a doing a small portion of their sales there. If we're talking multi million sellers.

I think Mario will carry it further than most think. But agreed on advertising though I personally have no doubt Ubi is gonna throw money behind it. I think the game has the ability to do really well though.

Zedark

Don't think it's selective surprise when Crash is onits 4th week and this is Splatoon's launch week. I think Crash's performance so far has definitely been a bit of a surprise. Some people might have thought it would sell decently, but not THIS well. No need to downplay it as a foregone conclusion.

Alright. I never consciously experienced the Activision years of Crash, where it admittedly did do a lot worse than the original games, so my thoughts always remained based on the original trilogy. I'm probably the one with a skewed perspective on this, since I based it off of the first 3 games only and didn't consider the later games, even if that turned out to be the correct perspective. I did feel Crash had much more potential in UK and a restock for Crash was bound to happen at anytime, so that's why I felt it had a good chance to land higher than Splatoon 2. Saying it's a foregone conclusion was too strong on my part, apologies for that.

Kolx

Holy shit at Crash in its 4th week beating Splatoon 2 on its launch week. Is there any estimate of how many switch are out there in the uk? if so then we can compare the attach rate and see whether the game did well or underperformed.

Mory Dunz

I think Mario will carry it further than most think. But agreed on advertising though I personally have no doubt Ubi is gonna throw money behind it. I think the game has the ability to do really well though.

yea you could right. tbh I don't have much a frame of reference for FW UK sales, since I don't pay much attention to them like I said.

Top Bottom