• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 31, 2011

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
And so, also in Individual Chart, Zelda is the only 3DS game present.
This round is yours, Nintex.
However, what a bump!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Is there some kind of huge sale on Dirt 3 or are sales just rather low?

I mean, the game came out at the end of May.

Mpl90 said:
And so, also in Individual Chart, Zelda is the only 3DS game present.
This round is yours, Nintex.
However, what a bump!

1 days worth of sales since the price drop and Zelda would be the first game to experience the bump...

Gowans

Nirolak said:

its cheaper but I would put it on word of mouth the game and the multi-player are broad and fantastic.

test_account

XP-39C²
Not a strong start for the 3DS after the pricedrop. However, it is only 2 days, so it is much time left before we can see something more concrete.

Spiegel

Nuclear Muffin said:
Nope, just a normal Saturday. Nintex is kinda jumping to conclusions here.

Then the new price was in effect for two days, which is the typical amount of days for new releases.

Rhindle said:
That math doesn't follow. If say half of OoT weekly sales were going to the installed base and half to new buyers, then a 60% increase translates into about a 2x increase in weekly hardware sales.

I'll give it the benefit of teh doubt since it is only 2 days of sales, but still seems weak.
it doesn't sell that much to installed based. it sold 300K in two week and then 80K in a month (npd data).

The obvious explanation is that those who bought 3DS before OoT, most probably have some other games already to play on their 3DSs, so they are not that interested in a remake, specially that the early user base before drop were probably among long time Nintendo fans.

but now, the price drop has changed the demographic and OoT is better than the rest of the games.

And I still believe it is only 1 day game sales, not 2 days.

edit: checked, seem to be 2 days, my bad
---
Another point is why many games aren't charting, I believe it has three reasons:

1. the rest of the game beside OoT, are somewhat in the same range, that is good to very good games; so people don't have incentives to buy a single games; like choosing between SSF4 and DoA, both seem valid choices; or Pilotwings and Nintendo Dogs, both seem to attract casual players

2. many people may choose to play their DS games, or buy new DS games; until some great game comes out

3. games aren't really that good and clearly show theirs being launch game; Ridge Racer having no online? WTF!

acm2000

Nirolak said:

its sub £20 now, so selling well

its been £19.85 at shopto for several weeks for instance, and i think it dropped to around £15 at some point for a daily special somewhere

Spiegel said:
Then the new price was in effect for two days, which is the typical amount of days for new releases.

Oh I was just going by what was said before. Fair enough, 2 days it is.

Either way, Zelda will be the first choice for those avid gamers who were on the fence. It remains to be seen if the other titles like Nintendogs + Cats will get a boost when the 3DS starts selling to those from different demographics for whom it'll take a bit of time before they become aware of the pricedrop (especially since Nintendo have a tendancy to start adverts for games a few days to a week after launch, so it may be the same with the pricedrop)

[Nintex]

walking fiend said:
3. games aren't really that good and clearly show theirs being launch game; Ridge Racer having no online? WTF!
Ridge Racer is better than both Pilotwings and Nintendogs, there's a ton of content there and it's certainly a game I'd label 'good'.

Nintendo needs Mario Kart and Mario but those won't come out untill november/december. This would've worked much better if Mario Kart launched along with the pricedrop just like how OOT should've been available when the system launched. As for the more 'core-ish' approach they seem to have completely given up on it in 2011 given the lack of interest from Nintendo's side in games like Kid Icarus and games already out like Dead or Alive and Street Fighter. Which is why I don't get NOA's ads and NoE is doing this as well... they're advertising games like Metal Gear Solid and Mario Kart that are still months out. Right now they should focus on the titles that people can buy in stores. Sellling systems on 'potential' doesn't work, it didn't work for the GameCube or the PS3 and it won't work for the 3DS.

Maybe they can retry the core push in 2012 with Heroes of Ruin, Kid Icarus, Resident Evil: Revelations and all launching in the first half to create a compelling line-up of games for the core audience. Going by these really early reports it seems that the pricedrop had a bigger impact in Japan which is not a surprise considering they are ahead by couple of 'good' games(Layton, Star Fox, Abyss).

Oh and NoE should release the eShop cards, those are still not available it seems. It seems like something they could do right away but for some reason they don't. The same goes for the boxarts, change the spine from white to black just like they do for certain titles in Japan. It makes the games stand out more and is something they can do right now.

Shiggy

Elios83 said:
It probably means that hardware sales doubled, so maybe not the response NIntendo was hoping for but it's a slow period for gaming sales.
As Iwata said 3DS fate will be decided during the next holyday season.

There has yet to be appealing software. The software right now probably only appeals to the guys stuck in the 90s, even a price drop won't do much then. Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land will hopefully change this - especially Mario Kart 7 could become a huge success based on the the last two entries.

I've yet to see any 3DS ads with a notice of the price drop though (Germany).

Maybe they can retry the core push in 2012 with Heroes of Ruin, Kid Icarus, Resident Evil: Revelations and all launching in the first half to create a compelling line-up of games for the core audience. Going by these really early reports it seems that the pricedrop had a bigger impact in Japan which is not a surprise considering they are ahead by couple of 'good' games(Layton, Star Fox, Abyss).

Some people at NoE don't see Kid Icarus as marketable and plan to launch it like a Kirby game. To be honest, I share these feelings, it just doesn't look compelling and reminds me of the mediocre SSBB singleplayer.

Oh and NoE should release the eShop cards, those are still not available it seems.

Those will come to all European countries as soon as compelling software is available on eShop.
(March 2014)

[Nintex] said:
Ridge Racer is better than both Pilotwings and Nintendogs, there's a ton of content there and it's certainly a game I'd label 'good'.
I believe for those interested in Ridge Racer, lack of online shows itself more than lack of content for those who are interested in Pilotwings.

I really really want to buy RR myself, but I don't play racing games against AI much, so I am not sure if I'll play the game, esp that I don't know anyone near me owning a 3DS, as if there was someone to play local with, I wouldn't give one bit of care about online.

Nintendo needs Mario Kart and Mario but those won't come out untill november/december. This would've worked much better if Mario Kart launched along with the pricedrop just like how OOT should've been available when the system launched. As for the more 'core-ish' approach they seem to have completely given up on it in 2011 given the lack of interest from Nintendo's side in games like Kid Icarus and games already out like Dead or Alive and Street Fighter. Which is why I don't get NOA's ads and NoE is doing this as well... they're advertising games like Metal Gear Solid and Mario Kart that are still months out. Right now they should focus on the titles that people can buy in stores. Sellling systems on 'potential' doesn't work, it didn't work for the GameCube or the PS3 and it won't work for the 3DS.

Oh and NoE should release the eShop cards, those are still not available it seems.

I really don't think it will be wise for Nintendo to focus this 4th quarter on core games, not in western markets. There are too much core games getting released this quarter. In fact one the reasons I think Vita really hasn't much sales being delayed in western markets, is this. on the other hand, in Japan most of the games that are released 4th quarter, are not really popular. The only two major core games I can think up for japan are FF 0 and Xillia.

They should have released more games till now, before september, but now that they haven't, I think they shouldn't focus much on core games till early 2012.

And I believe currently most 3DS owners are core gamers, unless OoT is really popular among non-core gamers as well, hence its very high attach rate compared to every other game on the system.

JoeTheBlow said:
The supermarkets had the best deals on games, and systems, by a very VERY long way. I don't know if Charttrack includes them.
Anyway, the price drop was from Friday, when was the cutoff? Maybe next weeks chart will be more informative.
As far as I know the supermarkets are included, charttrack cover something like 95% of the market

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The active userbase difference is just too big between 3DS and other plattforms - 3DS will need some time and big games this holiday season to be able to fulfill expectations. As a 3DS USer i probably would rather improve my DS libary with quality titles before spendin cash on 3DS overpriced shovelware.

BKK

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/retail/index.jsp

Data is collected each week from 7,000 retail outlets representing 90% of the UK software market:

Amazon.co.uk
Argos
ASDA
Best Buy
Blockbuster
Chips
ChoicesUK.com
Comet
Dabs.com
DVD.co.uk
Game Group
Gameplay.co.uk
Gamestation
HMV
John Lewis
LoveFilm
Morrisons
Next
Play.com
QVC
Sainsburys
Shop Direct
SimplyGames.com
Staples
Tesco
TheHut.com
WH Smith
Woolworths.co.uk
Zavvi.co.uk
Independents

onipex

walking fiend said:
efore.

What's more interesting, is that till now the installed base seems to be more inclined toward a core game, rather than casual stuff.

Not surprising since the core crowd is who Nintendo is currently marketing the 3DS to.

For week 32...

Holland:
1) COD: Black Ops (PS3)
2) New Super Mario Bros (Wii)
3) Wii Party (Wii)
4) Smurfs (DS)
5) Wii Fit Plus (Wii)
6) The Sims 3: The Generation (PC)
7) The Sims 3 (PC)
8) Wii Play Motion (Wii)
9) Gran Turismo 5 (PS3)
10) L.A. Noire (PS3)

http://www.dutchcharts.nl/game_charts.asp

France:
1) Zumba Fitness (Wii)
2) Wii Fit Plus + Wii Fit Balance Board (Wii)
3) COD: Black Ops (PS3)
4) Pokémon Version blanche (DS)
5) Cars 2 (DS)

http://www.sell.fr/Les-meilleures-ventes-de-jeux,505

Week 32...

Norway:
1) The Sims 3 (PC)
2) Skate 3 (PS3)
3) Cars 2 (DS)
4) Red Dead Redemption (PS3)
5) Josefine Skolehjelp Bamseakutten (PC)
6) New Super Mario Bros (DS)
7) The Sims 3: The Late Night (PC)
8) WoW 60 Days Game Card (Card)
9) The Sims 3: Town Life Stuff (PC)
10) Josefine I Eventyrland (PC)
11) Sofie - MØ Sier Det Lille Monsteret (PC)
12) Josefine Skolehjelp Norge Rundt (PC)
13) Hugo - Magi I Trollskogen (PC)
14) COD: Black Ops (PS3)
15) Josefine Skolehjelp Det Magiske Bibliotek (PC)
16) Cars 2 (PS3)
17) Josefin: Magi I Eventyrland (PC)
18) Sofie 4 (PC)
19) Sofie HonsefØtter & GulerØtter (PC)
20) Littlest Pet Shop 3: Biggest Stars Pink (DS)

Finland:
1) WoW Pre-paid Game Card 60 Days (PC)
2) PlayStation Network Card 20€ (Card)
3) Dirt 3 Nordic Edition (PS3)
4) NHL 11 (PS3)
5) Live 3 Months Gold (Card)
6) Skate 3 (PS3)
7) Cars 2 (Wii)
8) The Sims 3: Town Life Stuff (PC)
9) Cars 2 (PS3)
10) COD: Black Ops (PS3)
11) Red Dead Redemption (PS3)
12) Assassin's Creed 2 Exclusive (PC)
13) Live Points - 2100P (Card)
14) Dirt 3 Nordic Edition (X360)
15) FIFA 11 (PS3)
16) GTA - Episodes From Liberty City (PS3)
17) Skate 3 (X360)
18) GTA IV (PS3)
19) New Super Mario Bros (Wii)
20) LittleBigPlanet 2 (PS3)

http://www.gfkhitlist.com/game.aspx

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I like how an excellent platformer still sells extremely well in Holland.

Also, it seems Just Dance and Zumba Fitness are the real third-party success stories of the Wii along with the LEGO games (not exclusive, but sell better on the Wii). Carnival Games used to pull good numbers but the sequels never maintained the same level of success (where as JD2 sells even more than JD1), and Mario & Sonic was a sort of "Nintendo 3rd party" game. Nintendo must be glad these help the system not completely sink because of the currently abysmal release schedule.

I wonder how well Just Dance 3 will perform.

Mpl90

...Wait.

Buoyed by the 3DS price cut, Nintendo's own Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D rose again, from 13th to fourth.

WAIT

Nintendo titles have assaulted the top 10, as niche 9/10 Wii-exclusive Xenoblade Chronicles turned up in seventh place.

VERY solid debut.

HA HA! FUCK YOU NOA! Who would've thought it? You release a good "core" game at a time where you have nothing else to release and you see success!

What's your excuse for not releasing it in the US now?

Told you guys that it would do well!

Mpl90

Dascu said:
A round of applause to all European gamers (including me) who bought Xenoblade Chronicles.

I demand for calling this week's thread

PAL Charts - Xenoweek 33

Mpl90

Nuclear Muffin said:
Here here! (I bought it too).

Good to see that there's still some sanity left in this world!

I know... even I had doubts about it while reading the discussion about 3DS new commercials!

Wow at Xenoblade. I didn't expect it in the top 40 never mind the top 10. Great to see NOE rewarded for bringing it over :)

#3 in INDIVIDUAL (Zelda up to #2)

1 1 ZUMBA FITNESS WII 505 GAMES 505 GAMES
5 2 THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: OCARINA OF TIME 3D 3DS NINTENDO NINTENDO
- 3 XENOBLADE CHRONICLES WII NINTENDO NINTENDO
7 4 WII SPORTS RESORT WII NINTENDO NINTENDO
2 5 JUST DANCE 2: EXTRA SONGS WII UBISOFT UBISOFT
6 6 JUST DANCE 2 WII UBISOFT UBISOFT
10 7 MARIO KART WII WII NINTENDO NINTENDO
24 8 BATTLEFIELD: BAD COMPANY 2 XB360 EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS
9 9 CARS 2 DS DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS
3 10 DIRT 3 PS3 CODEMASTERS CODEMASTERS
4 11 DIRT 3 XB360 CODEMASTERS CODEMASTERS
27 12 BRINK XB360 BETHESDA SOFTWORKS BETHESDA SOFTWORKS
8 13 FIFA 11 XB360 EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS
15 14 LEGO PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN XB360 DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS
16 15 WII FIT PLUS WII NINTENDO NINTENDO
17 16 L.A. NOIRE XB360 ROCKSTAR TAKE 2
18 17 ART ACADEMY DS NINTENDO NINTENDO
11 18 CARS 2 WII DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS
22 19 ZUMBA FITNESS XB360 505 GAMES 505 GAMES
14 20 THE SIMS 3: TOWN LIFE STUFF PC EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS
- 21 ASSASSIN'S CREED: BROTHERHOOD XB360 XBOX 360 CLASSICS UBISOFT
19 22 LEGO HARRY POTTER: YEARS 1-4 WII WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE
25 23 L.A. NOIRE PS3 ROCKSTAR TAKE 2
13 24 LEGO PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN WII DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS
12 25 CALL OF JUAREZ: THE CARTEL XB360 UBISOFT UBISOFT
21 26 POKEMON WHITE VERSION DS NINTENDO NINTENDO
26 27 POKEMON BLACK VERSION DS NINTENDO NINTENDO
23 28 NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. DS NINTENDO NINTENDO
29 29 SKATE 3 XB360 EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS
20 30 THE SIMS 3: GENERATIONS PC EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS
37 31 HALO: REACH XB360 MICROSOFT MICROSOFT
- 32 RAYMAN 3D 3DS UBISOFT UBISOFT
- 33 HOMEFRONT XB360 THQ THQ
- 34 KINECT JOY RIDE XB360 MICROSOFT MICROSOFT
31 35 THE SIMS 3 PC EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS
- 36 MORTAL KOMBAT PS3 WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE
- 37 BRINK PS3 BETHESDA SOFTWORKS BETHESDA SOFTWORKS
- 38 FOOTBALL MANAGER 2011 PC SEGA SEGA
32 39 UFC PERSONAL TRAINER XB360 THQ THQ
- 40 JUST DANCE WII UBISOFT UBISOFT

Indyana

lochnesssnowman said:
Wow at Xenoblade. I didn't expect it in the top 40 never mind the top 10. Great to see NOE rewarded for bringing it over :)

- 3 XENOBLADE CHRONICLES WII NINTENDO NINTENDO
lsPnT.gif

Although numbers will be really, really low, Xenoblade debut has been great! I've also heard about some shortages. If Nintendo of Europe wants to sell 150k copies of the game, it will be achieved by a great margin.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Xenoblade actually had a good debut?

cyefall.gif

That said it's still only a few thousand units and I'm sure it will drop like a stone rapidly.

I knew individual format will end up 1. Zumba, 2.OoT and 3.Xenoblade, very good slow week for Nintendo, 8 of top 10 are on Nintendo platforms and mostly Wii, correct?

Graphics Horse said:

It's heavily discounted at Game and is included in most hardware bundles. No surprise really.

WOW @ the Nintendomination in the top 10. And Xenoblade at No 3?! FUCK YES!!!

I bet the guys at NOE are laughing their heads off at NOA right now.

"WHATA BUNCH OF JOKAHS!!!"

Top Bottom