• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 34, 2013

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
This is a good point since UBI has mentioned that they're going to review the platform at the beginning of next year. I think Rayman, AC4 and Watch_Dogs are much more critical though. Splinter Cell didn't have much hype going for it, but Rayman is receiving hugely positive reviews and the other two are among the most anticipated games of the year. Those need to perform well on the platform.

It didn't have much hype going for it but it still was 3rd/4th overall for the other two platforms...

Would not be surprised to see all the other games perform in the same way. And yeah there really isn't any way to sugarcoat W101.

Happy to see Saints Row 4 on top though, game is totally awesome and is really everything right about gaming.

Hystzen

It be nice one day in future the general public will find that platinum magic most gamers love. until then every game is bomb status which is damn shame and I was kind of shocked to find out it largest budget to date that can't be good.

CTLance

Yay for SR4.

Hopefully, W101 will sell enough to be considered a success. Not a commercial one, that's probably impossible(?), but in relation to the installed user base.

guggnichso

Banned
In my personal perfect little world, people would buy platinum games in droves.

Instead they buy shit like CoD23 and Battlefield part 900.

Silly gamers.

Mokubba

Wow, there is some salt in this thread.

For people blaming the UK market and gamers who buy games like Saint's Row or COD, do you expect the game to do well in Japan since they don't play those games?
Media Create is tomorrow so we'll see what Japan has done.

Also isn't Metal Gear Rising a Platinum game or does that not count since it's part of the Metal Gear franchise?

Also isn't Metal Gear Rising a Platinum game or does that not count since it's part of the Metal Gear franchise?

I'd imagine most of the sales of that title is indeed from the name alone, no disrespect to Platinum.

That said they would make a good outsourcing studio for existing franchises.

Nice to see such a great game get number one, but so sad to see the W101 position. Not unexpected given Wii U sales here, but an amazing game like this deserves so much better. Same will happen next week with Killer is Dead :(

I think the most damning thing in there for the Wii U is not The Wonderful 101 position, or Pikmin 3's disappearance from the top 40, but the complete absence of the Wii U version of Splinter Cell.

Not really. It has even less presence at retail than W101, which is almost impossible.

Having said that, I think W101 has done well given the format and type of game it is. Expecting more is like expecting a Bill Callahan album to release the same week as Katy Perry's latest and soar to #1. One of them you'll struggle to find outside of indies and maybe HMV, the other is staring at you when you go to do your grocery shopping.

This is a good point since UBI has mentioned that they're going to review the platform at the beginning of next year. I think Rayman, AC4 and Watch_Dogs are much more critical though. Splinter Cell didn't have much hype going for it, but Rayman is receiving hugely positive reviews and the other two are among the most anticipated games of the year. Those need to perform well on the platform.

I think Watch Dogs is Nintendo's absolute last chance when it comes to wider third party support. I reckon Rayman will do relatively well, as Nintendo seem to have put all their efforts into cultivating a platform that really is the undisputed home of mascot platform games; if you're a fan of that genre, you really need a Wii U. Though I suppose in a way, that puts an awful lot of pressure on Rayman, as if it does bomb I don't see how any third party can justify any support of the platform whatsoever.

Not really. It has even less presence at retail than W101, which is almost impossible.

And whose fault is that? If all it would have took was a bit of retail presence to get some respectable sales, then Nintendo are absolutely mind-bogglingly stupid for not organising some sort of joint-promotion deal with Ubisoft.

I think Watch Dogs is Nintendo's absolute last chance when it comes to wider third party support. I reckon Rayman will do relatively well, as Nintendo seem to have put all their efforts into cultivating a platform that really is the undisputed home of mascot platform games; if you're a fan of that genre, you really need a Wii U. Though I suppose in a way, that puts an awful lot of pressure on Rayman, as if it does bomb I don't see how any third party can justify any support of the platform whatsoever.

I think you need to define 'bomb' as the console's install base is so small. For me, taking the UK in isolation, top 20 would be a sizeable success for Rayman, especially if it outperforms the same game on other formats.

Dynoro

So glad to see SR4 take top spot despite not matching SR3's sales. It is game of the year for me, so far, without doubt.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Still no Guardian splits. Those dudes are slipping.

Yeap. Go and knock on their door. They are lazy today

I wonder what are your expectations regarding the Blacklist's share on Wii U?

Given the install base I would say that anything more than 3% would be unusual.

I think the most damning thing in there for the Wii U is not The Wonderful 101 position, or Pikmin 3's disappearance from the top 40, but the complete absence of the Wii U version of Splinter Cell.
In all UK TV ads for that game I've seen, the Wii U version isn't even shown at the end.

SmokyDave

Yeap. Go and knock on their door. They are lazy today

I wonder what are your expectations regarding the Blacklist's share on Wii U?

Given the install base I would say that anything more than 3% would be unusual.
I dunno, I just like to follow Most Wanted on Vita!

Probably sub 5%, yeah. I doubt many people picked it up at all.

But once again, whose fault is that? TV ads which have a console mention at the end are, without fail, jointly paid for by the platform holder.

Not sure about that. Why would a platform holder have to pay to have the box of their version shown? This isn't some exclusive agreement like CoD with MS and Assassin's Creed with Sony. All other versions had their box shown, PC version included. Who paid for that one? It's really strange. Why would Ubi want to limit sales of their game by not showing that the game is available for a platform?

Not sure about that. Why would a platform holder have to pay to have the box of their version shown? This isn't some exclusive agreement like CoD with MS and Assassin's Creed with Sony. All other versions had their box shown, PC version included. Who paid for that one? It's really strange. Why would Ubi want to limit sales of their game by not showing that the game is available for a platform?

Whoa, you're talking about a generic version of the ad that had every version of the game having equal prominence, but didn't include the Wii U version at all?

As in, it was something similar to this with just Wii U stuff blanked out?

9ZaLGqR.png

Do you have a link?

Whoa, you're talking about a generic version of the ad that had every version of the game having equal prominence, but didn't include the Wii U version at all?

As in, it was something similar to this with just Wii U stuff blanked out?

9ZaLGqR.png

Do you have a link?

Yeh, the Wii U box wasn't there. I tried searching but haven't found it yet.

EDIT: I think the ad mentioned the GAME exclusive 'Upper Echelon' Edition, which as you can see from their site, is only on PC/PS3/360. This was the version chosen to be shown.

Yeh, the Wii U box wasn't there. I tried searching but haven't found it yet.

EDIT: I think the ad mentioned the GAME exclusive 'Upper Echelon' Edition, which as you can see from their site, is only on PC/PS3/360. This was the version chosen to be shown.

In that case, the ad was probably part-funded by GAME, who presumably chose to highlight the highest margin SKUs that are unavailable anywhere else.

Which just goes to show that Ubisoft will take anyone's money in return for a tailored ad. There's no reason why Nintendo couldn't have come to an arrangement where there was a version of the advert that showed the unique features of the Wii U version. Except I think we all know in our hearts that it wouldn't have made enough of a difference to be worthwhile - this is just the latest in the long line of excuses for why the performance of third party titles on the Wii U is so dismal.

In that case, the ad was probably part-funded by GAME, who presumably chose to highlight the highest margin SKUs that are unavailable anywhere else.

Which just goes to show that Ubisoft will take anyone's money in return for a tailored ad. There's no reason why Nintendo couldn't have come to an arrangement where there was a version of the advert that showed the unique features of the Wii U version. Except I think we all know in our hearts that it wouldn't have made enough of a difference to be worthwhile - this is just the latest in the long line of excuses for why the performance of third party titles on the Wii U is so dismal.

I'm in agreement really.

Multi-platform releases won't do a thing on Wii U other than 'ok for the userbase size' at best, while a third party exclusive would have to be a big name to perform well (which isn't happening outside of Sonic).

LayLa

last Vita new release to make the Top 40 was Soul Sacrifice at #18 in Week 18. that's 4 months ago.
Rayman Legends Vita is out on Friday, after that it's Killzone then Dragon's Crown. anything else likely to trouble the charts in the near future?

SmokyDave

last Vita new release to make the Top 40 was Soul Sacrifice at #18 in Week 18. that's 4 months ago.
Rayman Legends Vita is out on Friday, after that it's Killzone then Dragon's Crown. anything else likely to trouble the charts in the near future?

The only one of those 3 I'd expect to chart is Killzone. Even then, it's £29.99 on PSN with pre-order bonuses so that's not a given.

Poor Pikmin. :(

Batman? The thirst for games is real, you never know.

nampad

Rayman Legends Vita got delayed for two weeks in Europe.

Shantom

The only one of those 3 I'd expect to chart is Killzone. Even then, it's £29.99 on PSN with pre-order bonuses so that's not a given.
It's £25 on Amazon with pre-order bonuses so PSN shouldn't affect it too badly, I would think.

A game with dildos and dubstep guns on top and a game like TW101 outside the top 10.

That about sums up todays console gaming.
SRIV is a parody/tribute to open world games just like TW101 is a parody/tribute to Super Sentai. SRIV deserves its sales.
Payday 2 drop seems rather huge, but the game was profitable before hitting store shelves.
Isn't the 360 version sold out everywhere?

Mario007

I'd say all three actually. Didn't Rayman Origins returned to charts when Vita version was released? Dragon's Crown, i'd say, could do numbers similar to Soul Sacrifice. Killzone is 25 pounds on Amazon so it seems Sony might have learned with their pricing on Vita games. Looking at the retail releases this year for Vita many might chart, but not at very high positions. We have:

God of War Collection
Borderlands 2
Football Manager 2014
Murasuna
Dragon's Crown
Killzone: Mercenary
Tearaway
Ys
Batman
Invizimals

Honestly I don't know why people are surprised by W101. If anything I'm impressed that it did better than The Bureau. Considering how little marketing and retail prescence it's had it's done relatively well. It's a shame about Blacklist and Pikmin, but as already stated there is barely any information on Blacklist even having a Wii U version.

Well there you have it, a third party supporting the platform with a new release. But to no success. And then people wonder why EA don't see it as a financially viable platform.

Consider they even go out of their way to keep Wii U out of their commercials... I don't think they even care.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRxnBobFlf8

To them this is a 360/PS3/PC only game.
No wonder it's hard to find the Wii U version in shops...

Moze

Banned
Really is a shame about W101 :(

Saints row must be an extremely profitable IP though? It is a borderline budget game that sells a shitload at full price

A game with dildos and dubstep guns on top and a game like TW101 outside the top 10.

That about sums up todays console gaming.

fuck out of here with this nonsense. SR4's position is more than deserved, because its yanno.. fun.

The biggest irony is SR4 is about superheros almost as much as TW101. It just goes about it in a far more absurd way.

Wonderful 101 did do better than i expected considering i doubt it was even stocked many places and nintendo is awful at marketing now. I mean its still a megabomb though.

antonz

God people and the abuse of the word bomba. In order to be a bomb you had to have some reasonable expectation of success.

Considering very few if anyone expected 101 to be any sort of massive success means it lived up to expectations not bomba

Moze

Banned
fuck out of here with this nonsense. SR4's position is more than deserved, because its yanno.. fun.

The biggest irony is SR4 is about superheros almost as much as TW101. It just goes about it in a far more absurd way.

W101 is an original new IP though and BY FAR a more polished game than SR4.

I have no idea what expectations they had for W101 but i can assume it's probably more than what the game is going to actually sell (which if fuck all WW). Having said that i was expecting it to do even worse in the UK.

Bruno MB

0A0qT.png

Denmark:
Week 34, 2013 - Individual Formats (Units)

01 (NE) PS3 DISNEY INFINITY STARTER PACK (DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS)
02 (NE) WII DISNEY INFINITY STARTER PACK (DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS)
03 (NE) PS3 SAINTS ROW IV COMMANDER IN CHIEF EDITION (DEEP SILVER)
04 (NE) PS3 SAINTS ROW IV COMMANDER IN CHIEF EDITION (DEEP SILVER)
05 (NE) PS3 SPLINTER CELL BLACKLIST (UBISOFT)
06 (09) PS3 FIFA 13 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
07 (02) WII SKYLANDERS GIANTS STARTER PACK (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
08 (01) PC WORLD OF WARCRAFT MISTS OF PANDARIA (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
09 (NE) 360 SPLINTER CELL BLACKLIST (UBISOFT)
10 (04) PC WORLD OF WARCRAFT GAME CARD (60-DAY PRE PAID GAMECARD) (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
11 (NE) PS3 DISNEY INFINITY STARTER PACK (DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS)
12 (NE) 360 SAINTS ROW IV COMMANDER IN CHIEF EDITION (DEEP SILVER)
13 (NE) 360 SAINTS ROW IV COMMANDER IN CHIEF EDITION (DEEP SILVER)
14 (05) PC THE SIMS 3: ISLAND PARADISE (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
15 (NE) PC SAINTS ROW IV COMMANDER IN CHIEF EDITION (DEEP SILVER)
16 (NE) 360 DISNEY INFINITY STARTER PACK (DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS)
17 (07) PC SIMS 3: SEASONS (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
18 (10) PC SIMS 3 REFRESH (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
19 (13) WII JUST DANCE 4 (UBISOFT)
20 (NE) PS3 PAYDAY 2 (505 GAMES)

Mh9KZ.png

Sweden

01 (NE) 360 SPLINTER CELL BLACKLIST (UBISOFT)
02 (NE) 360 SAINTS ROW IV COMMANDER IN CHIEF EDITION (DEEP SILVER)
03 (02) PC WORLD OF WARCRAFT GAME CARD (60-DAY PRE PAID GAMECARD) (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
04 (NE) PS3 SPLINTER CELL BLACKLIST (UBISOFT)
05 (NE) WII DISNEY INFINITY STARTER PACK (DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS)
06 (NE) PS3 SAINTS ROW IV COMMANDER IN CHIEF EDITION (DEEP SILVER)
07 (01) 360 MINECRAFT (MICROSOFT)
08 (NE) PS3 DISNEY INFINITY STARTER PACK (DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS)
09 (04) PC WORLD OF WARCRAFT 60 DAYS GAME CARD (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
10 (03) PS3 THE LAST OF US (SCEE)
11 (NE) PC SPLINTER CELL BLACKLIST (UBISOFT)
12 (NE) PC SAINTS ROW IV COMMANDER IN CHIEF EDITION (DEEP SILVER)
13 (NE) 360 SAINTS ROW IV COMMANDER IN CHIEF EDITION (DEEP SILVER)
14 (NE) 360 DISNEY INFINITY STARTER PACK (DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS)
15 (NE) PS3 SAINTS ROW IV COMMANDER IN CHIEF EDITION (DEEP SILVER)
16 (NE) PS3 PAYDAY 2 (505 GAMES)
17 (09) PSN PLAYSTATION NETWORK VOUCHER 200 SEK (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
18 (12) PC THE SIMS 3: ISLAND PARADISE (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
19 (05) WII SKYLANDERS GIANTS STARTER PACK (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
20 (NE) 360 PAYDAY 2 (505 GAMES)

YHFbe.png

Norway:

01 (NE) PS3 DISNEY INFINITY STARTER PACK (DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS)
02 (NE) PS3 SPLINTER CELL BLACKLIST (UBISOFT)
03 (NE) 360 SPLINTER CELL BLACKLIST (UBISOFT)
05 (NE) PS3 SAINTS ROW IV COMMANDER IN CHIEF EDITION (DEEP SILVER)
06 (NE) WII DISNEY INFINITY STARTER PACK (DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS)
07 (NE) 360 SAINTS ROW IV COMMANDER IN CHIEF EDITION (DEEP SILVER)
09 (NE) 360 SAINTS ROW IV COMMANDER IN CHIEF EDITION (DEEP SILVER)
10 (NE) 360 DISNEY INFINITY STARTER PACK (DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS)
11 (01) PS3 THE LAST OF US (SCEE)
12 (NE) PC SPLINTER CELL BLACKLIST (UBISOFT)
13 (NE) PC PAYDAY 2 (505 GAMES)
14 (NE) PC SAINTS ROW IV COMMANDER IN CHIEF EDITION (DEEP SILVER)
15 (NE) 360 DISNEY INFINITY STARTER PACK (DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS)
16 (05) PSN PLAYSTATION NETWORK VOUCHER 200 NOK (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
17 (NE) 360 PAYDAY 2 (505 GAMES)
18 (06) PS3 FIFA 13 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
19 (__) PSN PSN LIVECARD 200KR (SCEE)
19 (__) PSN PSN LIVECARD 200KR (SCEE)
20 (02) 360 MINECRAFT (MICROSOFT)

WquyV.png

Finland:

01 (01) PSN PLAYSTATION NETWORK CARD 20 EUR (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
02 (NE) 360 SPLINTER CELL BLACKLIST (UBISOFT)
03 (NE) 360 SAINTS ROW IV COMMANDER IN CHIEF EDITION (DEEP SILVER)
05 (NE) PS3 SPLINTER CELL BLACKLIST (UBISOFT)
06 (NE) 360 SPLINTER CELL BLACKLIST ULTIMATUM (UBISOFT)
07 (NE) PC SAINTS ROW IV COMMANDER IN CHIEF EDITION (DEEP SILVER)
09 (02) PSN PLAYSTATION NETWORK CARD 50 EUR (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
10 (NE) PC SPLINTER CELL BLACKLIST ULTIMATUM (UBISOFT)
11 (NE) PS3 SAINTS ROW IV COMMANDER IN CHIEF EDITION (DEEP SILVER)
12 (NE) WII DISNEY INFINITY STARTER PACK (DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS)
13 (12) PC WORLD OF WARCRAFT PRE-PAID GAME CARD 60 DAYS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
14 (NE) 360 SAINTS ROW IV COMMANDER IN CHIEF EDITION (DEEP SILVER)
15 (09) WII ANGRY BIRDS TRILOGY (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
16 (08) PS3 THE LAST OF US (SCEE)
17 (NE) PS3 SPLINTER CELL BLACKLIST ULTIMATUM (UBISOFT)
18 (15) PC SIMS 3: SEASONS (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
19 (05) PS3 FIFA 13 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
20 (10) PC SIMS 3 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

Top Bottom