• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 36, 2016

Or most people waiting for Scorpio.

Scorpio doesn't have a chance in hell in the UK. The most important reason is that it's going to be launched post Brexit, which means it's probably going to be a good 20% more expensive than if it launched this year.

Apart from that, the power arguement means alot less over here when compared to price. That's pretty much the reason the 360 made inroads here in the first place. It's also the reason the Xbox one has stayed somewhat competitive. You can get an 1TB OG for £189 with games now, cheaper than even the US fire sale price.

Alot of CE manufacturers are realising that the UK is too price conscious for some of their premium products and are not even launching here now.

Microsoft would be smart to keep pushing the One S and concentrate Scorpio as a primarily US thing.

Bruno MB

World of Warcraft: Legion sales dropped by 90%, same percentage as in the UK where sales dropped by 91% in its second week. However, I am very surprised that a PC game can still debut selling 20,000 units (retail) in Spain. For comparison's sake, that's roughly what Dark Souls III sold week one (all formats).

By the way, I think the guy said 475,000 for Call of Duty: Black Ops III, but that figure can't be right, there is no way the game had sold 125,000 extra units since late May.

Is this a mistake?

The monthly software sales data I post are calculated from here:

QnFr0Cl.jpg

MCV just publishes the market share, not the exact unit sales.

too bad the game is a letdown, it's probably the best selling title of Sony this generation, I hope they will deliver numbers pretty soon, I'm curious.

It's success is well earned. Uc4 is the game of the generation so far for me. Evidently it pleased most people so far looking at the legs. Good word of mouth must be helping out.

Shin-chan

Am I reading that correctly - in the period from July to August 31st the PS4 sold more than double the Xbox One in the UK? Or am I misreading it?

That just seems like a very large gap compared to what I and many would have expected.

Edit: never mind! That's software not hardware. The revenue gap is ridiculous though. It seems to be much higher for Sony across the board - even when MS won July the revenue was heavily in Sonys favour.

Am I reading that correctly - in the period from July to August 31st the PS4 sold more than double the Xbox One in the UK? Or am I misreading it?

That just seems like a very large gap compared to what I and many would have expected.

Edit: never mind! That's software not hardware.

No.

In that period, the PS4 was responsible for more than double the amount of software sales. It makes no assumptions about consoles sold.

That said, the overall ratio of consoles sold must swing heavily in PS4s favour, just based on the data presentEd here. So heavily that a significant Xbox one comeback seems unlikely.

That being said, just like the US, the Xbox one's best months are just starting. A similar Sept to Nov chart will tell a different story.

Shin-chan

No.

In that period, the PS4 was responsible for more than double the amount of software sales. It makes no assumptions about consoles sold.

That said, the overall ratio of consoles sold must swing heavily in PS4s favour, just based on the data presentEd here. So heavily that a significant Xbox one comeback seems unlikely.

That being said, just like the US, the Xbox one's best months are just starting. A similar Sept to Nov chart will tell a different story.
Yeah, sorry, I realised after that I'd read the data incorrectly. The revenue disparity is still incredibly huge though - especially for MS second biggest (and really only other territory).

EGM1966

Edit: never mind! That's software not hardware. The revenue gap is ridiculous though. It seems to be much higher for Sony across the board - even when MS won July the revenue was heavily in Sonys favour.

IIRC HW gap ratio in UK has setted to around 1.33 to 1 or thereabouts. Software wise the data shows bigger percentage of software games is on PS4 though so clearly either XB1 owners in UK aren't buying as much or, more likely in my view, more XB1s than PS4s are secondary consoles for exclusives only with more PS4s used as primary/multi-platform consoles thus driving the sw ratio split.

Bruno MB

Physical Software Sales (Units)

YTD / LTD

PlayStation 4 - 4,090,000 (60.28%) / 22,340,000 (55.85%)
Xbox One - 2,695,000 (39.72%) / 17,660,000 (44.15%)

Shin-chan

IIRC HW gap ratio in UK has setted to around 1.33 to 1 or thereabouts. Software wise the data shows bigger percentage of software games is on PS4 though so clearly either XB1 owners in UK aren't buying as much or, more likely in my view, more XB1s than PS4s are secondary consoles for exclusives only with more PS4s used as primary/multi-platform consoles thus driving the sw ratio split.
I dunno, I think if that were the case Xbox exclusive software would perform better than awfully.

Isn't it more likely that the gap has incrementally increased?

Or maybe that the type of people that play on Xbox are the sorts of "hardcore" players that will buy the Christmas titles at release (so the legs are fairly poor on Xbox, leading to a skewed chart outside of the holiday season when these titles release)? I wouldn't be shocked if in the October, November, December months the chart levels out a bit more as the big third party titles release and these guys are actually out buying games again.

Yeah, sorry, I realised after that I'd read the data incorrectly. The revenue disparity is still incredibly huge though - especially for MS second biggest (and really only other territory).

Is this due to heavy bundling? so they'd count as zero revenue?

i guess also with only one retail exclusive this year any Xbox exclusive games like halo 5, forza, tomb raider and even this years exclusive in quantum break can all be found less than £15. Where as most PS4 exclusives - NMS, SFV, UNC4, bloodborne are still between £20-30

Shin-chan

Is this due to heavy bundling? so they'd count as zero revenue?

i guess also with only one retail exclusive this year any Xbox exclusive games like halo 5, forza, tomb raider and even this years exclusive in quantum break can all be found less than £15. Where as most PS4 exclusives - NMS, SFV, UNC4, bloodborne are still between £20-30
Maybe, but I'd think the lions share of revenue will be from third party software sales and console sales regardless of the platform. Maybe I'm wrong, though, Sony has had a pretty successful year as a publisher (and it's not often you can say that lol).

Bruno MB

In case somebody is wondering how Wii U is doing, here is a Wii U vs. GameCube comparison.

Physical Software Sales (Units)

Nintendo Wii U

2012 - 219,000 / NEW
2013 - 717,000 / 936,000
2014 - 945,000 / 1,881,000
2015 - 980,000 / 2,861,000
2016 - 330,000 / 3,191,000

GameCube

2002 - 1,700,000 / NEW
2003 - 2,720,000 / 4,420,000
2004 - 2,420,000 / 6,840,000
2005 - 1,220,000 / 8,060,000