• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 45, 2011

Loudninja

UK Top 40: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 denies Assassin's Creed
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 has held firm at the top of the UK charts in the year's busiest week of game releases, despite its second week sales dropping by 87 per cent.

Assassin's Creed: Revelations, denied a first place finish, debuted in second place - pushing Skyrim into third.

Revelations sneaked an extra 4 per cent of first week sales past last year's Brotherhood, but launched on a Tuesday, meaning it was on sale three days longer. Regardless, it is Ubisoft's biggest UK launch ever.

A deluge of new software made for a completely changed landscape in the rest of the top ten, with just three other titles surviving from last week.

Wacky open-world dildo 'em-up Saints Row: The Third launched in fourth, shoving footie stalwart FIFA 12 to fifth. Launch week Saints Row sales are 43 per cent higher than Saints Row 2's.

Halo remake Combat Evolved Anniversary launched in sixth, ahead of 10/10 Nintendo epic Zelda: Skyward Sword in seventh.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-21-uk-top-40-cod-mw3-denies-assassins-creed-article

BKK

90%:

[ALL] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - ~256,000 (-87%) / ~2,230,000

[ALL] Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood (Ubisoft) - ~229,000
[ALL] Assassin’s Creed: Revelations (Ubisoft) - ~238,000 (AC:B x 1.04)

[ALL] Saints Row 2 (THQ) - ~72,000
[ALL] Saints Row: The Third (THQ) - ~103,000 (SR2 x 1.43)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
90%:

[ALL] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - ~256,000 (-87%) / ~2,230,000

[ALL] Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood (Ubisoft) - ~229,000
[ALL] Assassin’s Creed: Revelations (Ubisoft) - ~238,000 (AC:B x 1.04)

[ALL] Saints Row 2 (THQ) - ~72,000
[ALL] Saints Row: The Third (THQ) - ~103,000 (SR2 x 1.43)

Considering that there is Just Dance 3 at tenth, and thinking it almost surely did something similar at what did last week (37k)..very big week in UK.

m.i.s.

Banned
Looks like Nintendo are launching the Wii-U not a moment too soon. Wii sales are dropping off a cliff.

They're a year late. It should've launched Nov / Dec of this year. Instead, they'll be launching a year late when sales and mind share will have, as you say, fallen of a cliff.

Alrus

They're a year late. It should've launched Nov / Dec of this year. Instead, they'll be launching a year late when sales and mind share will have, as you say, fallen of a cliff.

The idea that mindshare is of any importance to the launch of a new console is complete bull. We have enough examples to show that what's important is launching an attractive product at the right price with the right software. (and a non confusing marketing campaign)

Edit: Not saying Nintendo shouldn't have planned for an earlier launch(getting a comfortable jumpstart on the competition is always nice), but then again if they don't have any kind of interesting software to launch it with, they'll end up with another 3DS situation.

m.i.s.

Banned
The idea that mindshare is of any importance to the launch of a new console is complete bull. We have enough examples to show that what's important is launching an attractive product at the right price with the right software. (and a non confusing marketing campaign)

WiiU will be launching from a position of diminishing or declining relevance both in games and hardware from its predecessor. Is that good enough for you?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Edit: Not saying Nintendo shouldn't have planned for an earlier launch(getting a comfortable jumpstart on the competition is always nice), but then again if they don't have any kind of interesting software to launch it with, they'll end up with another 3DS situation.

This, launching a console before having a compelling software lineup ready to back it up is suicide in todays market - see 3DS.

Actually i think this line of thinking which has become very common is bull, mindshare is very important. That doesn't mean you can't throw away your advantage by doing something stupid (like the $599 fiasco). However if you play your cards decently at all ala PS2 it's damn near impossible to be toppled IMO.

Nintendo and sony both threw away market leadership with massive mistakes (nintendo is doing it again) but that doesn't mean it isn't important.

Just ask the companies competing with apple how important mindeshare is.

-MB-

Why are people surprised anyway, most of the other new releases came out on tuesday and Zelda only friday.
Also all these franchises are classical frontloaded HD games, U can bet Zelda will hang on longer.

Will be interesting to see what happens week 2 as it should drop less than the rest, maybe even rise (Nintendo games do this most the time as marketing kicks in basically).
it won't rise the next week for sure, will be almost next to impossible. I'll eat my words backward if it happens, whatever that means...

this is the result of pre-orders are adding up to each other

Will be interesting to see what happens week 2 as it should drop less than the rest, maybe even rise (Nintendo games do this most the time as marketing kicks in basically).

Yup. Interestingly, Zelda ads only started to appear on TV a couple of days before release while SM3DLand ads were up a good couple of weeks beforehand, telling people to pre-order.

Yup. Interestingly, Zelda ads only started to appear on TV a couple of days before release while SM3DLand ads were up a good couple of weeks beforehand, telling people to pre-order.

It's unusual for Nintendo to even advertise a game before it's out these days. Normally Nintendo don't release any TV ads at all until the game is already out (which is why a lot of Nintendo games get a boost on their 2nd week)

Mpl90

It's strange. The update isn't coming and it's late, now. Seeing that Eurogamer gave the update as usual, I thought today there wasn't any strange Holiday (such as the Bank Holiday), but the absence of the update from ChartTrack now makes me think that today maybe there's an Holiday after all.

It's strange. The update isn't coming and it's late, now. Seeing that Eurogamer gave the update as usual, I thought today there wasn't any strange Holiday (such as the Bank Holiday), but the absence of the update from ChartTrack now makes me think that today maybe there's an Holiday after all.

There isn't any holiday today in the UK. They're just late (someone's probably recovering from a hangover)

wow... Halo remake > New Zelda. Who knew.

Not unexpected. The Halo franchise is a far bigger seller than the Zelda series.

Still, it's a surprisingly low start. Here's hoping that the advertising gets people into stores!

Zelda looks like a kids cartoon, Halo looks mature and cool.........in all honesty I just feel the number of "active" wii owners is much lower than "active" 360 owners in the UK.

Tell that to Just Dance 3...

Mpl90

Mario is pretty good considering the competition and the relatively low userbase in the UK, I think.

Usually Mario doesn't start with a bang either, as well as many other Nintendo games, indeed.
Good starting, considering this and the competition.
And it will be helped by the bundle coming on 2nd December.

Last 2 week had several new releases.
I think it's probably getting to the point where you should accept that it's not doing particularly well vs the titles that are out there at the moment. I imagine the calculated numbers we'll get later will back that up.

That there have been a bunch of new releases (big ones too) is obviously the reason, but that doesn't change what's happening. It was the wrong time to release the game.

Top Bottom