• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 48, 2012

m.i.s.

Banned
Vita fans giving it back now twofold :D.

images

---------------

Seriously, if it's like this in the run-up to Xmas, imagine what it'll be like in the quieter months!!

Uh-oh indeed!! :eek:D

Alcibiades

That probably depends on how it does everywhere else and even then they probably aren't as willing to drop the price as they were with the 3DS.

Yeah Wii U is a different situation. The Wii brand itself has diminished greatly over the last couple of years. It is like Nintendo has been largely absent from home gaming lately with few notable titles (i.e. Skyward Sword). The DS brand was doing fine and the handheld momentum was important to maintain, but the Wii lost momentum in 2010 and Nintendo just seemed to abandon it.

Dropping the price would probably be a temporary reprieve, like dropping the GCN to $99. The underlying issue is getting people to want to the system.

As i was saying a while back nintendo waited to long to release the wii U and lost all their momentum and mindshare. This is why sony/MS have to be careful not to wait too long.

Averon

Nintendo needed this one year head-start to get a good lead on MS and Sony. Instead it looks like they're going to spend the year fighting off irrelevancy.

m.i.s.

Banned
Dropping the price would probably be a temporary reprieve, like dropping the GCN to $99. The underlying issue is getting people to want to the system.

I would respectfully disagree. There's a world of difference between dropping a system to $99 and dropping the price of a new system by £,$,€50.

In the UK itself, the Wii U costs the equivalent of an astonishing $470. When there are much cheaper alternatives with a mature library of cheaper games. Just as an example, Sainsbury's were doing a 160 Gig 360 for just £160. Almost half the price of a Wii U premium. Nintendo UK has simply -- once again -- priced itself out of the market.

I would like to see Nintendo UK hold their prices though - just for the lols!!

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
TOP 30 SONY PLAYSTATION 3 (FULL PRICE), WEEK ENDING 8 December 2012

LW TW
19 24 PLAYSTATION ALL-STARS BATTLE ROYALE SUPERBOT ENTERTAINMENT SONY COMPUTER ENT. SONY COMPUTER ENT.

Carl

Well, WiiU is fucked.

Also surprised by lack of Dance Central 3, with the amount of adverts i've seen on TV/Radio

Alcibiades

I would respectfully disagree. There's a world of difference between dropping a system to $99 and dropping the price of a new system by £,$,€50.

In the UK itself, the Wii U costs the equivalent of an astonishing $470. When there are much cheaper alternatives with a mature library of cheaper games. Just as an example, Sainsbury's were doing a 160 Gig 360 for just £160. Almost half the price of a Wii U premium. Nintendo UK has simply, once again, priced itself out of the market.

I would like to see Nintendo UK hold their prices though - just for the lols!!

If someone is buying a system based on the library of games on it, then even a £160 WIi U is going to look paltry next to a £160 360 or PS3. That said, I do think $470 is too much and they shouldn't put the system completely out of reach monetarily. But I do think overall, unless they get consumers to want the system in spite of what the 360/PS3 are offering, then trying to reach price parity there isn't going to do much. I do hope they get the UK price to match what other countries sell it for though.

Yeah Wii U is a different situation. The Wii brand itself has been diminished greatly over the last couple of years. It is like Nintendo has been largely absent from home gaming lately with a few notable titles the exception (Skyward Sword). The DS brand was doing fine and the handheld momentum was important to maintain, but the Wii lost momentum in 2010 Nintendo just seemed to abandon it.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Nintendo let their home console side of the business wither away while they kept their handheld line nice and healthy. The impact of this might have been been mitigated more had they gone with a new name that they could brand differently, but now they are stuck with the name of a system that died three years ago for the most part. Nintendo has their work cut out for them.

m.i.s.

Banned
Couldn't have said it better myself. Nintendo let their home console side of the business wither away while they kept their handheld line nice and healthy. The impact of this might have been been mitigated more had they gone with a new name that they could brand differently, but now they are stuck with the name of a system that died three years ago for the most part. Nintendo has their work cut out for them.

Also a point I agree with. To all intents and puposes, the Wii brand is simply irrelevant. Through sheer market presence, perserverance, price drops and software, 360 and PS3 have become increasingly more relevant. Whilst the Wii brand has suffered the opposite fate. There must surely come a time when the Wii brand would simply reach breaking point by the sheer number of peripherals and add-ons to the core system. That time appears to have arrived.

DrWong

France week 48 >

1 - COD : Blacks Ops 2 PS3 - Activision Blizzard
2 - Far Cry 3 PS3 - Ubisoft
3 - COD : Blacks Ops 2 XBox 360 - Activision Blizzard
4 - Far Cry 3 XBox 360 - Ubisoft
5 - New Super Mario Bros. U Wii U - Nintendo

About the Top 3 Wii U launch titles >

1 - New Super Mario Bros. U Nintendo
2 - COD : Blacks Ops 2 Activision Blizzard
3 - ZombiU Ubisoft

Roman

If someone is buying a system based on the library of games on it, then even a £160 WIi U is going to look paltry next to a £160 360 or PS3. That said, I do think $470 is too much and they shouldn't put the system completely out of reach monetarily. But I do think overall, unless they get consumers to want the system in spite of what the 360/PS3 are offering, then trying to reach price parity there isn't going to do much. I do hope they get the UK price to match what other countries sell it for though.

It has to be a combination of both a lower price and system sellers, which I'm seeing none of in the near future. The macro economic environment is completely different from 2006, this price point for this hardware is just not going to work in Europe at all.

Also a point I agree with. To all intents and puposes, the Wii brand is simply irrelevant. Through sheer market presence, perserverance, price drops and software, 360 and PS3 have become increasingly more relevant. Whilst the Wii brand has suffered the opposite fate. There must surely come a time when the Wii brand would simply reach breaking point by the sheer number of peripherals and add-ons to the core system. That time appears to have arrived.

I also in essence agree with this, dropping their most successful console like a hot potato this year (and for most of last) was extremely questionable.

Fabrik

Banned
Well that doesn't look good for Wii U. But the UK market is lost, only shooters and soccer games are popular over there.

You always have to consider multiple things in such a discussion.

First, numbers could and should be better for Nintendo, but we're also lacking online sales.
Second, I wouldn't suppose that Wii U Software can compete in the charts currently, there are a lot of big hitters and the Wii U - Base is small in comparison.

First thing Nintendo has to do is a bigger marketing campaign during holidays.

Top Bottom