• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 52 - Wii for art thoU?

Mael

Play are doing sonic racing on 360/PS3 for £12.99. It's bombed hard.
Wow, then again I can't tell I'm surprised either.

According to certain hearsay sources, the Wii U version actually sold best in the US in November. All three versions bombed, though.

That's actually a pretty good performance for WiiU or the market is absolutely cratering on ps3/360...

That seals it then WiiU initial performance here is really a collateral to them pushing the 3DS as much as they can.
They'll try to salvage the rest when they can.
Luckily they might do a 2007 Sony and bundle the shit out of it with everything they have.

99%

Wow, then again I can't tell I'm surprised either.

12.99? That discount culture can't be good for the UK in the long run. Shame too since Sonic Karting is the only good kart game around now (untill Mario Kart) thats multiplat.

I don't think your intention was to troll anyone or adding fuel to the flames, yet I am afraid the title will not help to set a fair discussion; by the way I the same applies to all hardware launches, indeed it's only after a few months that we can have a clear idea of what are the actual sales trends.

To be fair you're the only one so far that sets the tone of discussion in that direction. Except for a few LOL WII U remarks that are expected with no games charting anyway. So if you want to the discussion to go elsewhere, by all means start to talk about it, unless you are here to argue title semantics only.

I already moved on to Just Dance 4.

I think it's safe to assume the Vita outsold the WiiU this week. Indeed, the WiiU is making the Vita launch look very good right now.

Is that ROI only or the whole island?
ROI, any Northern Irish sales is included in the UK chart.

I don't think your intention was to troll anyone or adding fuel to the flames, yet I am afraid the title will not help to set a fair discussion; by the way I the same applies to all hardware launches, indeed it's only after a few months that we can have a clear idea of what are the actual sales trends.

I feel like this mostly only applies when something is selling well. When a console starts really strongly (especially in the holiday period) it can be difficult to tell how well it will maintain that level.

However when a console starts off selling like shit (especially in the holiday season) that is usually a really bad sign even if it is only based on a small period of time. I don't think the console market is kind to consoles who start of really badly like this and the few consoles who bucked this trend (not that they started anywhere near this badly) had a few important factors going for them which nintendo doesn't.

Nintendo is going to have to pull a few aces out of their sleeve to turn this ship around.

Takao

Banned
Did Nintendo UK not advertise Professor Layton 3DS or what? I was under the impression it was a big series in the UK on the DS. I'd say annual sequelitis killed it, but I can't remember if there was a 2011 release in the west.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Nintendo, panic mode: engaged
2272.gif

I can imagine the jokes at the HQ "Hey Iwata, how's WiiU's vita going? bahahaha"

Carl

Wow, Vita software looks to have done fairly well last week. Great stuff.

Book of Spells still doing pretty well, too.

Is this because they feel like the Wii U wouldnt need such a big marketing campaign?
Probably, the early adopters usually know everything about the system.

3DS approaches the mainstream price and it's the more profitable system currently.

And it's very important to tighten their position in the handheld market, especially because the Vita isn't that strong, so they have a billion-dollar-market for themselves and they get the most profit out of this.

They could always rely on their handheld market, even if the consoles didn't run that good, that's why it's more important currently.

Looking at the charts, 3DS sales get better, they also need to replace the NDS here, it's still quite strong and probably the biggest competition for the 3DS.

Japan already finished this transition.

UK Games Software in 2011

http://www.eraltd.org/news/era-news...exceeds-£1bn-in-sales-for-the-first-time.aspx

Packaged retail: £1.046 billion (-26.4%) *
Non-packaged retail: £552 million (+7.7%) **

Total: £1.597.8 billion (-17.4%)

* Gfk Chart-Track
** IHS Screen Digest
Thx Road. :)

SmokyDave

Looking at the charts, 3DS sales get better, they also need to replace the NDS here, it's still quite strong and probably the biggest competition for the 3DS.
The 3DS hardware numbers are probably good but here in the UK it seems to shift very little software. With the odd one-week exception (like Layton last week), it's only the Mario titles that ever chart.

The 3DS hardware numbers are probably good but here in the UK it seems to shift very little software. With the odd one-week exception (like Layton last week), it's only the Mario titles that ever chart.

Unfortunately, they're the only things that deserve to chart on the platform at the moment. I'd love it if western publishers gave it a little more love... it's funny, owning both, I feel as though the Wii U deserves to be doing better than the 3DS at the moment, and the Vita probably deserves to be doing better than both

I'm actually a little concerned about the performance of next-gen consoles if the Wii U and Vita are any indication. I'm expecting it to be a very slow burn initially.

That is why BC, IMHO, will be very important this next gen. A lot of casual people have "upgraded" to tablets and will be reluctant to buy new consoles easily. BC would make this much more likely since the backlog of great games will be available day one.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Nintendo, panic mode: engaged
2272.gif

I can imagine the jokes at the HQ "Hey Iwata, how's WiiU's vita going? bahahaha"

I chuckled a little.

Nintendo better try and fix some of this before MSFT or Sony launch because it's only going to get worse.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Actually, the odd one-week exception Layton (as you consider it) lasted for something like 10 weeks in UK top 40.

Did Nintendo UK not advertise Professor Layton 3DS or what? I was under the impression it was a big series in the UK on the DS. I'd say annual sequelitis killed it, but I can't remember if there was a 2011 release in the west.

they did advertise it, quite heavily in fact. lots of ads pointing out the free puzzles all year round, etc. it was also heavily advertised as one of the free games you could download when you bought a 3ds xl, so that might explain its less than stellar sales.

Hmm, is this right?

NFS was below Halo 4 in week 50 therefore less than 53.4K
+27% for week 51 =< 67.8K
-13% for week 52 =< 60.0K

11% PSV SKU =< 6.6K

Mael

To be fair it's not like the support for 3DS is exactly mesmerising either.
Handhelds have little to offer so the demand follows suit.

Looking at the individual value charts:

NSMBU rised from 26 to 25.

Nintendo Land dropped from 25 to 34.

This probably means that hardware had a big drop off, but the early adopters start to buy a second game (or additional games) to their Nintendo Land/Zombi U - bundles, mostly New Super Mario Bros. U.

Takao

Banned
they did advertise it, quite heavily in fact. lots of ads pointing out the free puzzles all year round, etc. it was also heavily advertised as one of the free games you could download when you bought a 3ds xl, so that might explain its less than stellar sales.

I see. I want to say I recall an ad with Penelope Cruz being posted on GAF. Was that aired in the UK?

Wasn't the situation similar with the DS though? Even when it's hardware sales were mindblowing it didn't seem to dominate the charts like the home consoles do. Not that this is an excuse necessarily but it isn't quite as bad as when you see the same situation with a home console imo.

Bumhead

Banned
I wouldnt be surprised at numbers around 2-3k. Which is apocalyptic.

Wouldn't surprise me either.

The £225 Premium on Zavvis eBay site took 3 days to shift 500 units. Extrapolated over a week, a month and a year, that's absolutely atrocious performance. And that's at £75 lopped off the going RRP.

SmokyDave

Unfortunately, they're the only things that deserve to chart on the platform at the moment. I'd love it if western publishers gave it a little more love... it's funny, owning both, I feel as though the Wii U deserves to be doing better than the 3DS at the moment, and the Vita probably deserves to be doing better than both
I think Sony and Nintendo both ought to be throwing cocaine and strippers at Western devs. Just because they've been historically cold on handhelds doesn't mean things always need to stay that way.

It's such an odd contrast to the Media Create threads where the 3DS third party lineup is the talk of the town.

Actually, the odd one-week exception Layton (as you consider it) lasted for something like 10 weeks in UK top 40.
My bad, I meant to say 'one-a-week'.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Wasn't the situation similar with the DS though? Even when it's hardware sales were mindblowing it didn't seem to dominate the charts like the home consoles do. Not that this is an excuse necessarily but it isn't quite as bad as when you see the same situation with a home console imo.

Well, let's look at how DS did software wise in past top 40 charts

2007: http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index....p&ct=110032&arch=t&lyr=2007&year=2007&week=52
2008: http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index....p&ct=110032&arch=t&lyr=2008&year=2008&week=52
2009: http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index....p&ct=110032&arch=t&lyr=2009&year=2009&week=53
2010: http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index....p&ct=110032&arch=t&lyr=2010&year=2010&week=52

Not including 2011 since it features 3DS too.

Handhelds usually don't chart that high. Traditionally, they've also a quite small software attach-rate compared to consoles.

If we look at this chart form 2007 (same week as this):

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index....p&ct=110032&arch=t&lyr=2007&year=2007&week=52

NDS had 8 games, but the top-charting games are all from the "Touch-Generations!!" - series, which was something new back then (and one of the reasons for the great NDS success), the regular software sells good on the long run, but charts in the mid-range if you look at the weekly sales.

3DS still doesn't have these games here (aside from Nintendogs) and I don't know if they're going to succeed like on the NDS (I doubt it).

Of course, Japan looks different nowadays.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I chuckled a little.

Nintendo better try and fix some of this before MSFT or Sony launch because it's only going to get worse.

You think so? I wondering if it has more to do with people just not being interested in a new home console, regardless of whether it's from Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft.

Well they charted above NFS, so they should be higher than the max for NFS.
Not how it works - it's a maximum. NFS Vita and anything below it must be below 6.5K. However, that does not imply that above NFS Vita is above 6.5K.

I did it more to see what the most the bottom of the chart could be.

Where are the other countries?

They come later. I do think we should have a UK charts thread seperate since both the timing and interest differ from the rest of Europe, but all the numbers come in at different times so its just an all purpose 'as they come' sort of thing'.

Anyway I think Far Cry is showing us just what an effect good reviews mixed with word of mouth can have. Fantastic result for Ubi.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
You think so? I wondering if it has more to do with people just not being interested in a new home console, regardless of whether it's from Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft.

Those current gen console gamers buying Far Cry 3, Fifa, COD, Halo, and Assassins Creed there aren't going to suddenly stop gaming when devs all move to the new boxes.

The only next Gen exclusive games the public has seen are Zombie U, NSMB U, and Nintendo Land.

I think E3 will show if the public is completely dismissive of new consoles and ips.

Those current gen console gamers buying Far Cry 3, Fifa, COD, Halo, and Assassins Creed there aren't going to suddenly stop gaming when devs all move to the new boxes.

Quite. But devs won't jump unless people do as well.
Its all yet to be decided, I still think the move to online social gaming this gen could make more people hold back on next gen.

Not entirely but just slower than in the past. People will have to move onto the new consoles together kind of thing. No B/C wouldn't help either.

But we'll see. It'll come down to the games, if there's another Gears or COD4 then these social groups will likely jump to next gen together or some of them will take the plunge, which could speed up the conversion as their other mates buy into it too.

We'll see' but generation to generation is never squeaky clean.

kinggroin

Banned
I'm actually a little concerned about the performance of next-gen consoles if the Wii U and Vita are any indication. I'm expecting it to be a very slow burn initially.

You'd have to be crazy to expect MS and to a lesser extent, Sony, to match the same level of apathy Nintendo has shown for its next-gen platform.

Top Bottom