• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 52 - Wii for art thoU?

Bumhead

Banned
Those current gen console gamers buying Far Cry 3, Fifa, COD, Halo, and Assassins Creed there aren't going to suddenly stop gaming when devs all move to the new boxes.

I think there's a potential catch 22 situation there though. Particularly for FIFA and COD, I can see a situation where EA and Activision don't fully abandon current gen until gamers move en mass to new hardware, and where gamers don't move en mass to new hardware until EA and Activision essentially abandon current gen.

Bruno MB

Well, let's look at how DS did software wise in past top 40 charts

2009: http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index....p&ct=110032&arch=t&lyr=2009&year=2009&week=53

Not including 2011 since it features 3DS too.

I had almost forgotten how beastly Wii was in its prime.

01 (01) WII Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo)
02 (02) WII Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo)
03 (13) WII Just Dance (Ubisoft)
04 (03) WII New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo)
05 (04) 360 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activison Blizzard)
06 (05) WII Mario & Sonic at Olympic Winter Games (Sega)
07 (09) WII Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I think there's a potential catch 22 situation there though. Particularly for FIFA and COD, I can see a situation where EA and Activision don't fully abandon current gen until gamers move en mass to new hardware, and where gamers don't move en mass to new hardware until EA and Activision essentially abandon current gen.

The hold-ons are always what causes the next gen adoption drag sure, but never underestimate dev's thirst in wanting to justify the time and costs put into their next-gen engines and games. Pubs will be eyeing early HD gen success stories such as Assassins Creed, Oblivion, and Call of Duty's rise to dominance as "right place, right time" stories, especially when AC1 was a pretty shitty game.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
if only chart-track covered ebay.

Hilarious when you start looking at real sales situations where that 500 could have made for 1/5th or 1/6th of all WiiU sales that week.

This happened with the PS2. Franchises that don't make smooth next Gen transitions (like PES, NBA Live) are more likely to die off than the new platforms. Even for those that did have proper next gen versions (Madden/NFS/Guitar Hero/WWE/FIFA) the PS2 still moved decent units well into 2007.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
3-3

3 Mario VS NFS+Fifa+COD

The very best definition for this generation and Nintendo/Sony

I feel this is a large part of the problem handhelds are having as well.

If you're offering the same things as home consoles, and your region doesn't inherently favor handhelds over home consoles, what's the point?

Wii U(ncharted)

Personal favorite of the puns.

Yikes Nintendo. They panicked 1.5 years ago with the 3DS, might be time to do so again with both the 3DS and Wii U. Dropping the DS might be all the 3DS needs though.

Great sales for Forza Horizon, and well deserved. Did it drop to 15 dollars in the UK like it did in the US on Black Friday?

3-3

3 Mario VS NFS+Fifa+COD

The very best definition for this generation and Nintendo/Sony

I missed one Mario game. Gracias.

They'll be lucky if they sell 2 Million if that. Well deserved. Arrogance comes at a price.

Still like the WiiU, but Nintendo really doesn't deserve good sales for what they delivered.

I still need to see NPD numbers for January before passing judgement for the west. WiiU is doing pretty great in Japan IMO.

ghst

thanks for the laugh

Yikes Nintendo. They panicked 1.5 years ago with the 3DS, might be time to do so again with both the 3DS and Wii U. Dropping the DS might be all the 3DS needs though.

Great sales for Forza Horizon, and well deserved. Did it drop to 15 dollars in the UK like it did in the US on Black Friday?

dropping £10 in the UK is usually only the opening bid.

It did indeed, it was £29.99 at a few places.

Whatever it takes to get that lovely game in people's hands I guess. If the series dies, I hope it waits to die until after the 720 sequel. I'm biased since it's my favorite racing game released this gen. Probably ever.

As for your edit, yeah, in the US the Microsoft store sold it for 15 dollars for about 3 days. Bomba pricing in full effect, as they say.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Aha careful now or that will become a regular talking point in these threads.

i'm sure it's already a regular talking point in nintendo internal reports: "we've seen a 100% growth in sales of new consoles emerging online marketplaces".

might aswell stack hocking them from miyamotosan52 and pocket the extra.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Well, yes. DS definitely dying will surely help 3DS in passing from decent / solid to solid / good numbers at least. At least in US. UK is a different situation, far thougher since DS shouldn't be a factor anymore as overall European sales indicate...and looking at all the other charts, NSMB2 in top 10 in almost all the other charts ( even in Scandinavia, always a difficult territory for portables, DS included) should be a good sign for 3DS sales in Europe.

I expect MS to hit next-gen with the ferocity of a flaming bulldog. They're in a great position.

Surely more like a Ninja.... but on fire.... in a hospital zone :)

Enviable one, no doubt about it. I'm hoping their success next-gen indirectly affects PC gaming in a positive way as far as tech goes.

360 already did that in many ways IMHO. Some PC game devs have made some good money, porting to 360 afterwards using the PC as a test-case for their game.

AzaK

I chuckled a little.

Nintendo better try and fix some of this before MSFT or Sony launch because it's only going to get worse.
It seems obvious now that Nintendo soft launched Wii U, due to the lack of marketting we've seen. Although given all the units in stores I'm not sure they expected it to be that soft. It will be interesting to see how the next month or so fears.
Personally I hope Nintendo gets their arse handed to them a bit because I think they have displayed extreme arrogance over Wii U and their 'we want the core gamer' mantra.

You think so? I wondering if it has more to do with people just not being interested in a new home console, regardless of whether it's from Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft.
I don't think so. 360 and PS3 (360 moreso) are pretty 'hardcore' machines and those gamers want the next best cinegames which rumoured specs indicate the machines will deliver. Nintendo has given a machine of unnoticably better specs with a new controller; something the 'hardcore' doesn't really give two shits about.

You'd have to be crazy to expect MS and to a lesser extent, Sony, to match the same level of apathy Nintendo has shown for its next-gen platform.

I expect MS to hit next-gen with the ferocity of a flaming bulldog. They're in a great position.

Agreed. MS will come out guns blazing. My hat's off to them for what they have managed this generation.

Get your shit together Nintendo and stop fucking around.

BlackJace

Nintendo, panic mode: engaged
2272.gif

I can imagine the jokes at the HQ "Hey Iwata, how's WiiU's vita going? bahahaha"

Haha, I laughed really hard at this.
Anyways, it seems as though we've caught Nintendo with their pants down.
So pull em' up, and stop fucking around. Actually start delivering now.

Fuck.

Diablos54

Haha, I laughed really hard at this.
Anyways, it seems as though we've caught Nintendo with their pants down.
So pull em' up, and stop fucking around. Actually start delivering now.

Fuck.
I don't think they expected the Wii U to be as low as it is, but it's obvious their focus is the 3DS ATM, and I can see why. But now that they've mostly got the 3DS back on track, they need to start pushing the Wii U as hard as they can. They have at least about a year with the market to themselves and they need to make the most of it. Well, unless MS/Sony go insane and give us £500 systems.

B.O.O.M

You think so? I wondering if it has more to do with people just not being interested in a new home console, regardless of whether it's from Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft.

Nah it's all about going into the next generation strong. Ninty failed big time in doing this with the wii. They had a lot of momentum at the start of the wii gen but then just let it die out towards the end. This is however is not the case with both msony. Especially sony next year is putting a lot of great quality software on the ps3. Both systems can have good price drops to boost sales also. They will do much better than the wiiu launch

BlackJace

I don't think they expected the Wii U to be as low as it is, but it's obvious their focus is the 3DS ATM, and I can see why. But now that they've mostly got the 3DS back on track, they need to start pushing the Wii U as hard as they can. They have at least about a year with the market to themselves and they need to make the most of it. Well, unless MS/Sony go insane and give us £500 systems.

The 3DS is fine and dandy at the moment, at least in Japan.
They just released a HOME CONSOLE. They cannot and should not have sent it off as luke-warmly as they did. I have no doubt it will get much much better in the future, but YET AGAIN, this is another missed opportunity for Ninty.

I don't know about Sony, but you can bet Microsoft is planning a World War II-style blitzkrieg across all fronts. I expect for them to be rewarded because of actually putting effort behind a launch.
I love the company, but sometimes they need a kick in the ass in order for them to do something.

Somnid

UK charts get more depressing every time I see them. It's like the only thing people buy anymore is FIFA, retailers are folding left and right and the industry in general seems to be taking a nosedive. What a wasteland.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The UK has been painfully unreceptive to any of the newer consoles, be it 3DS, Vita or Wii U. As long as people can play the new FIFA they aren't interested in new hardware. Why should they be?

You'd have to be crazy to expect MS and to a lesser extent, Sony, to match the same level of apathy Nintendo has shown for its next-gen platform.

To be honest, I half expect Microsoft will piss away their advantage, beginning from the announcement being PS3-announcement-esque and explicitly focusing on Kinect and entertainment services over core games ("look at all the new Kinect games you'll be able to play on the system!" "699 US dollars!" "only available in the US to Comcast subscribers!"). Then when it launches in 2014, nobody will by it since they're too busy playing on their smartphones/tablets and then they wind up struggling for a couple of years and not making much headway.

UK charts get more depressing every time I see them. It's like the only thing people buy anymore is FIFA, retailers are folding left and right and the industry in general seems to be taking a nosedive. What a wasteland.

what retailers?

The UK has been painfully unreceptive to any of the newer consoles, be it 3DS, Vita or Wii U. As long as people can play the new FIFA they aren't interested in new hardware. Why should they be?

this is why the nextbox and ps4 won't fail. they will both force developers to stop making those games for the 360 / ps3 and the only option people will have is to upgrade.

the advantages of working having good relationships with the third parties that matter. if only nintendo wasn't so insular for the most part, they could have done this with the wii u.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Good. Maybe that will get them off their lazy asses. It's the first time I bought a Nintendo console without being excited for a single (Nintendo) game.

That said if comments by people I know (friends, co-workers etc.) are anything to go by, any new console might have a tough stand.

What are they saying? I'm interested.

Diablos54

The 3DS is fine and dandy at the moment, at least in Japan.
They just released a HOME CONSOLE. They cannot and should not have sent it off as luke-warmly as they did. I have no doubt it will get much much better in the future, but YET AGAIN, this is another missed opportunity for Ninty.
The 3DS is fine in Japan but... This is not about Japan, the 3DS needed (And still sorta needs) a shot in the arm in the West. I can see why they focused on the 3DS, especially with the Wii U selling at a loss out of the gate. I agree that Nintendo should have been pushing the Wii U harder than they are (I've seen no Wii U adverts since Xmas), but it's not hard to see why they haven't yet.

Plus, they don't have the money MS do, I don't think they're capable of a media blitz, not to the extent that MS is. I guess we'll find out soon, if Nintendo don't kick the advertising up a notch the Wii U will be in trouble in a month or two, even without competition.

And I feel all 3 systems will have trouble in the U.K. this gen. We're too focused on Fifa/CoD, and Fifa will be better on the 360/PS3/Wii U for the next 2/3 years, and unless CoD is exclusive, a ton of people will keep buying the current gen versions. Pretty graphics and better online will not be enough, they need a hook, but I don't see what it could be yet.

dat FIFA.

man, it's funny and kinda of sad that you can't see PES in most of Europe charts anymore,the king of football games PS2 era now is nothing, I wonder if Konami can even return to the game next gen.
I've got to give credit to EA as to how well they took Pro's #1 spot. The fact that Pro has sucked since the jump to PS3/360, while Fifa gets better every year hasn't helped Pro though. :p

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
dat FIFA.

man, it's funny and kinda of sad that you can't see PES in most of Europe charts anymore,the king of football games PS2 era now is nothing, I wonder if Konami can even return to the game next gen.

BlackJace

The 3DS is fine in Japan but... This is not about Japan, the 3DS needed (And still sorta needs) a shot in the arm in the West. I can see why they focused on the 3DS, especially with the Wii U selling at a loss out of the gate. I agree that Nintendo should have been pushing the Wii U harder than they are (I've seen no Wii U adverts since Xmas), but it's not hard to see why they haven't yet.

Plus, they don't have the money MS do, I don't think they're capable of a media blitz, not to the extent that MS is. I guess we'll find out soon, if Nintendo don't kick the advertising up a notch the Wii U will be in trouble in a month or two, even without competition.

Huh? Nintendo has plenty of cash. And I don't care how poorly a handheld is doing, it should NEVER take priority over a brand new console.
You think Sony is going to shift gears and focus on saving the sinking Vita ship instead of the PS4 launch?

Top Bottom