• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 9, 2017

sensi97

So Jeuxvideo.com says Horizon was the best launch on ps4, all games included.

Translated from French

Mistake?

Copied From horizon thread

It is only for France or worldwide?

In any case I totally believe it is possible.

It's only about the UK launch. They saw Yosp's tweet (eurogamer article) and assumed it was Sony PR.
Jeuxvideo.com is quite mediocre when it comes to news articles. They don't have properly trained journalists.

Guymelef

Maybe he tried to guesstimate digital numbers (because I have a hard time believing he has digital data... only Nintendo has this data and they didn't used it on official PR).

He doesn't have digital data.
His numbers in the podcast are sometimes higher and sometimes lower than the reality.

chadskin

Germany February 2017: http://www.bild.de/spiele/spiele-ch...e-fuer-pc-playstation-xbox-44941444.bild.html

1. (neu) For Honor
2. (1.) Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
3. (2.) GTA V
4. (3.) Fifa 17
5. (4.) Battlefield 1
6. (neu) Hitman: Die komplette erste Season
7. (neu) Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World
8. (20.) Madden 17
9. (5.) Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
10. (neu) Sniper Elite 4
11. (9.) Minecraft
12. (neu) Nioh
13. (7.) Mafia 3
14. (11.) Landwirtschafts-Simulator 17
15. (12.) Super Mario Maker
16. (8.) Pokémon: Sonne
17. (17.) Call of Duty: Black Ops III
18. (neu) Need for Speed
19. (neu) Rocket League
20. (13.) Pokémon: Mond

jonno394

We're expecting BIG drop offs for Switch related stuff in the next update right due to stock issues? Zelda and Switch are still OOS on Amazon, shopto etc

LordKano

We're expecting BIG drop offs for Switch related stuff in the next update right due to stock issues? Zelda and Switch are still OOS on Amazon, shopto etc

Yeah, stock issues are still here in France/Belgium, and they may not get new shipments until mid-march.

geordiemp

UK hates Nintendo so much right now.

I just dont ever see people playing handhelds outside..

So the appeal of a £ 280 + £ 70 controller + games + paid online vs the competition, it has nothing to do with hate, just VALUE. Its way over priced IMO.

Also online party gaming seems a big thing looking at my 13 year old son, parties with school mates is the norm for Destiny / GTA etc. Nintendo is not in that market.

Maybe different countries prioritise different things ?

Bruno MB

yW8JH.png

Germany:
Week 9, 2017 - GfK Entertainment Press Note

They forgot that a new system was released that week.

4ImiCVS.jpg

Switzerland:
Week 9, 2017 - All Formats (Units)

01 (NE) HORIZON ZERO DAWN (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
02 (NE) THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD (NINTENDO)
03 (NE) 1-2 SWITCH (NINTENDO)
04 (01) FOR HONOR (UBISOFT)
05 (NE) SUPER BOMBERMAN R (KONAMI)
06 (02) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
07 (03) FIFA 17 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
08 (07) CALL OF DUTY: INFINITE WARFARE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
09 (04) SNIPER ELITE 4 (UBISOFT)
10 (06) RESIDENT EVIL 7: BIOHAZARD (CAPCOM)

mf2Bby8.png

Australia:

03 (NE) 1-2 SWITCH (NINTENDO)
04 (01) FOR HONOR (UBISOFT)
05 (04) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
06 (05) CALL OF DUTY: INFINITE WARFARE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
07 (03) SNIPER ELITE 4 (REBELLION)
08 (02) HALO WARS 2 (MICROSOFT)
09 (RE) MAFIA III (TAKE 2)
10 (06) NBA 2K17 (TAKE 2)

L4iEuoa.png

New Zealand:

03 (01) FOR HONOR (UBISOFT)
04 (NE) 1-2 SWITCH (NINTENDO)
05 (RE) MAFIA III (TAKE 2)
06 (02) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
07 (06) MINECRAFT (MICROSOFT)
08 (RE) UNCHARTED 4: A THIEF'S END (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
09 (03) SNIPER ELITE 4 (REBELLION)
10 (09) THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM SPECIAL ED. (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS)

lHu2yH0.png

Belgium:
Week 9, 2017 - Console / PC

They update the weekly top 5 once every 2 months if lucky.

gtj1092

Idk I remember during ps4 launch there were stock issues but it was because it just kept selling out. They were pumping out tons of them and air lifting them in to meet demand. So maybe switches are just selling that fast. Selling out as soon as they come in. Plus it's a slow week so even with a drop Zelda should still chart.

So the appeal of a £ 280 + £ 70 controller + games + paid online vs the competition, it has nothing to do with hate, just VALUE. Its way over priced IMO.

Also online party gaming seems a big thing looking at my 13 year old son, parties with school mates is the norm for Destiny / GTA etc. Nintendo is not in that market.

I think this is the key reason as to why Nintendo isn't very popular in the UK these days, at least compared to other parts of the world. It's costly being a Nintendo fan here. Very costly. And people just aren't willing to pay those prices anymore.

Asd202

Idk I remember during ps4 launch there were stock issues but it was because it just kept selling out. They were pumping out tons of them and air lifting them in to meet demand. So maybe switches are just selling that fast. Selling out as soon as they come in. Plus it's a slow week so even with a drop Zelda should still chart.

It's not a slow week I mean highly anticipated Nier Automata is coming out! Right! Right? Anyone...

geordiemp

I think this is the key reason as to why Nintendo isn't very popular in the UK these days, at least compared to other parts of the world. It's costly being a Nintendo fan here. Very costly. And people just aren't willing to pay those prices anymore.

You cn get a Ps4 for £ 200 with a good controller, £ 229 with a game like UC4 or GTA 5.

For Switch thats £ 400 vs ps4 £ 230 for great game + controller + console.

With pretty impressive launch of Switch especially across Europe, what will be the impact on PS4 sales?

None. If anything I expect Europe to be the PS4's strongest region this year. I just don't see the switch impacting PS4 sales anywhere except maybe Japan longer term. Even then I'm not so sure.

sasliquid

It doesn't help that Nintendo products rarely go down in value. I had my eye on a wii u and a couple of games for over a year and the prices never changed (hell some of games/bundles went up in value)

It doesn't help that Nintendo products rarely go down in value. I had my eye on a wii u and a couple of games for over a year and the prices never changed (hell some of games/bundles went up in value)

This was a problem WW because the design of the switch made price reductions almost impossible. It was one of the many fatal flaws of the wii U.

sasliquid

This was a problem WW because the design of the switch made price reductions almost impossible. It was one of the many fatal flaws of the wii U.

True but Nintendo games often have the same problem. Games like Zelda and Pokemon are still £30+ on the 3ds despite being several years old

UK hates Nintendo so much right now.

Thought it sold 80k in the UK and doubled up on Wii U numbers.

France, Nintendo's European heartland country sold 105k. Spain sells 45k

Based on? Because Kimishima implied the opposite.

In all honesty I can't actually remember all that well where I read that (I tend not to save sources casually browsing video game info). The fact that the price never really dropped is pretty telling though. The gamepad was a noose around the wii U's neck (though that was just part of the problem).

I'm curious what kimishima implied though. Because the opposite would suggest that the wii was in a great position to drop the price so why did it never happen?

Edit: sorry been reading too much switch stuff and made a mistake in my post. I was obviously talking about the wii U.

The UK seems to be an anomaly when it comes to the Switch. Everywhere else the console and Zelda are performing incredibly well.

Just doesn't make sense for a small market like Spain to be pulling more than 50% of the UK launch.

You cn get a Ps4 for £ 200 with a good controller, £ 229 with a game like UC4 or GTA 5.

For Switch thats £ 400 vs ps4 £ 230 for great game + controller + console.

Exactly. Despite not having a good track record when it comes to previous entries I've played, I'm actually very interested in trying out the new Zelda. But considering the amount of money needed to do so, it's just not happening, at least not any time soon. And then there's the fact that Nintendo software doesn't drop in price for a long ass time. BotW is likely going to remain at £40-50 for a couple of years.

Noooope.

geordiemp

Thought it sold 80k in the UK and doubled up on Wii U numbers.

France, Nintendo's European heartland country sold 105k. Spain sells 45k

Switch was always going to sell out first month to Nintendo fans.

First week sales are function of distribution efficiency, will only get better each year as logistics gets better and better.

Lets talk again in 6 months. to see if Joe public buys it.

Oregano

In all honesty I can't actually remember all that well where I read that (I tend not to save sources casually browsing video game info). The fact that the price never really dropped is pretty telling though. The gamepad was a noose around the wii U's neck (though that was just part of the problem).

I'm curious what kimishima implied though. Because the opposite would suggest that the wii was in a great position to drop the price so why did it never happen?

Edit: sorry been reading too much switch stuff and made a mistake in my post. I was obviously talking about the wii U.

Oh that makes a lot more sense.

With the Wii U I don't think the Gamepad was actually the issue. The Wii U was using tech that no one else was and that obviously caused issues. Only one factory in the world produced the EDRAM it uses.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
http://ukie.org.uk/news/2017/03/ubi...con-wildlands’-tops-chart-biggest-week-1-year

Last week’s bumper week consisting of Switch console launch, ‘Zelda Breath of the Wild’ and Sony’s ‘Horizon Zero Dawn’ carries on this week as we welcome a further 4 new releases, 3 of which debut within the Top 6.
Exactly one year after the record-breaking ‘Tom Clancy’s The Division’ (still the biggest launch within any Q1 on record), Ubisoft now debut at No1 on the All Formats Top 40 (Units) with ‘Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Wildlands’, the biggest week 1 launch of the year so far. In terms of week 1 debut units ‘Wildlands’ is No2 in a very long list of Tom Clancy games, pushing Ghost Recon stablemate ‘Future Soldier’ down from No4 to No5 in the Tom Clancy games week 1 sales pecking order.
The aforementioned ‘Horizon: Zero Dawn’ for PS4 only drops to No2 having claimed the record of top-selling launch week game of the year so far - a record that lasted only 1 week. The second big new release debuts at No3 and is Warner’s budget-priced ‘LEGO Worlds’ for PS4/Xbox One.
Nintendo drop 2 places to No4 with ‘The Legend of Zelda: The Breath of the Wild’ and Rockstar/Take 2 drop 2 places to No5 with ‘GTA V’. Debuting at No6 is Square Enix’s PS4 ‘Nier Automata’, which topped the Japanese charts a few weeks ago. The final new release within the Top 40 is Nintendo’s ‘Mario Sports Superstars’ for 3DS at No37.

Wait what? Wildlands biggest week 1 launch of the year?

I haven't heard a single person even talking about it. I thought it was going to completely bomb. So under the radar.

blakep267

Ubisoft is thriving with these early year releases. Makes you wonder if watchdogs 2 would've done better not releasong in November and in March instead

I haven't heard a single person even talking about it. I thought it was going to completely bomb. So under the radar.
I mean did you see the Beta numbers? Don't let the little talk here fool you into thinking it's not popular. It's a co-op multiplayer shooter in March. It's going to get a lot of sales

DKHF

It's probably not the case but it could have only beaten Horizon by not that large of a margin thanks to being on two platforms and been biggest launch week of the year. It might not be that impressive.

Kill3r7

The beta did well numberswise. It is also the biggest release of the year so far in terms of a game appealing to the masses.

Top Bottom