• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Color Splash Hands-on Previews - "a far better game than Sticker Star"

Kinsei

Banned
Never played Sticker Star (and probably won't) but Color Splash might end up in my hands.

My main concerns (at this point) are :
- Most Attacks seems very long and unskippable (at least from what I saw). I hope it's just for super attacks and not for the most basic moves (like jumping / using the hammer).
- Is there a deck system like in Sticker Star ? And if so, do I have to farm objects to make my deck ? Can I end up having no ways to attack the ennemy if my deck is empty (I can't imagine a RPG, and from Nintendo of all things- to do such an idiotic thing but I have to ask) ?

Thanks in advance.

It's just the super "thing" attacks.

Yes and Yes. Cards will be everywhere though.

Lutherian

It's just the super "thing" attacks.

Yes and Yes. Cards will be everywhere though.

Oh... thanks for the update. When I think of "deck" based battle RPG, I always think about Baten Kaitos (even if in the first one, the "Defense" turn was a pain in the ass when you don't have enough cards), maybe they should have used a system like in Baten Kaitos II...

The basic premise I've seen with Nintendo's approach to marketing this game is this:

They believe that, if they can show us enough whacky, zany, crazy stuff in this game to make us smile, it may be enough to overcome the fact that it is in fact, not a game we want, merely a game we will buy.

They know people want TTYD 2, or a true, turn-based JRPG-style Paper Mario 3. One day I still am optimistic we will get one.

For now, I have seen enough media of this game, I will buy it, and I think I will enjoy it, probably a lot, but I really, really wish Nintendo would take our feedback and try and produce a more traditional console Paper Mario in the future.

maxcriden

That's like saying, maybe they should have gone for something resembling an actual RPG, like the first games. But they have made it perfectly clear they wont.

The turn-based battles resemble an RPG more than the jump'n'run action of Super Paper Mario. (Which is an amazing game, don't get me wrong. But this definitely resembles an RPG in gameplay more than that does.)

Simbabbad

it may be enough to overcome the fact that it is in fact, not a game we want
Who's "we"? I want this far more than yet another RPG. I liked TTYD, but it was basically a remake of the first Paper Mario.

What's funny is that back in the GameCube days a lot of people complained it was too much of the same and Nintendo should ditch Paper Mario and go back to Mario RPG.

The grass is greener, etc.

Toxi

Banned
Who's "we"? I want this far more than yet another RPG. I liked TTYD, but it was basically a remake of the first Paper Mario.
Uh, what? No it is not. The Thousand Year Door is not in any way, shape, or form close to a remake of Paper Mario 64. I'm not even sure how you arrived at that conclusion.

Kinsei

Banned
Uh, what? No it is not. The Thousand Year Door is not in any way, shape, or form close to a remake of Paper Mario 64. I'm not even sure how you arrived at that conclusion.

You have to collect seven things and the combat was turn based. It's obvious that it's a remake of the first Paper Mario which was a remake of Super Mario RPG /s

Toxi

Banned
You have to collect seven things and the combat was turn based. It's obvious that it's a remake of the first Paper Mario which was a remake of Super Mario RPG /s
Seriously, how the fuck is it a remake?

I feel like there's been a recent trend where people just call everything a remake.

DylanEno

Uh, what? The Thousand Year Door is not in any way, shape, or form close to a remake of Paper Mario 64. I'm not even sure how you arrived at that conclusion.
I disagree with that statement, as well, but to be fair there are still pretty obvious similarities, particularly in the chapters (castle, spooky place, island, murder mystery, etc.) and partners you obtain (ability-wise, not personality).

But pls don't hurt me TTYD is one of my favorite games and I'm not agreeing that it's a remake just that I can see why comparisons would be made

Toxi

Banned
I disagree with that statement, as well, but to be fair there are still pretty obvious similarities, particularly in the chapters (castle, spooky place, island, murder mystery, etc.) and partners you obtain (ability-wise, not personality).

But pls don't hurt me TTYD is one of my favorite games and I'm not agreeing that it's a remake just that I can see why comparisons would be made
Sure. That doesn't make it a remake.

Like Demon's Souls has a peaceful area where NPCs congregate, skeleton-filled catacombs, underground lava lakes, poisonous swamps, and an enormous decaying castle that belonged to a once-great ruler who is now only a shell of his former self. And every Dark Souls game had those things too. That doesn't mean every Dark Souls is a remake of Demon's Souls.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
anyone else thinks has a chance to be a big time collectors item like Super Mario RPG? Mario game, end of a generation, etc.

Simbabbad

to be fair there are still pretty obvious similarities, particularly in the chapters (castle, spooky place, island, murder mystery, etc.) and partners you obtain
Obviously. It's particularly shocking with the Agatha Christie parody involving penguins TWICE. Back then, a lot of people complained about it and claimed Paper Mario 64 was superior, but the truth is, they're so close that you're likely to prefer the first one you played (in my case, TTYD, I couldn't bring myself to finish Paper Mario 64, way too similar).

Frankly, TTYD is nearly more a remake of Paper Mario 64 than Zero Mission is of NES Metroid, Zero Mission has much more differences in game design, visuals, etc.

DylanEno

Lol @ both sides

Btw and fwiw my first paper mario was the N64 one and I still think TTYD is easily the better of the two.

ghibli99

I just watched the latest trailer, and this actually looks like a lot of fun. Seems to tick a lot of the boxes that make games like this enjoyable for me. Will keep a closer eye on it as we get near launch!

Toxi

Banned
Obviously. It's particularly shocking with the Agatha Christie parody involving penguins TWICE. Back then, a lot of people complained about it and claimed Paper Mario 64 was superior, but the truth is, they're so close that you're likely to prefer the first one you played (in my case, TTYD, I couldn't bring myself to finish Paper Mario 64, way too similar).
I don't think you understand what a remake is.

Simbabbad

I don't think you understand what a remake is.
I think you need to relax.

When someone says "this is basically a remake of...", it doesn't mean it's literally a remake, it means that it's a spectacularly samey sequel to the point the games are close to being interchangeable. The "remake" appellation in its strict usage doesn't mean much anyway since, again, Zero Mission is actually quite different from NES Metroid (and a lot closer to Super Metroid), Paper Mario 64 and TTYD being again much closer games, right to extremely tiny details. It's basically the same thing on more powerful hardware.

Nitpicking aside, the point is that after only one game, IS was already making the exact same game, they haven't proved they were capable to make a brand new game in the same formula. I'd then rather have them innovate with new formulas than make the exact same game a third time.

Toxi

Banned

When someone says "this is basically a remake of...", it doesn't mean it's literally a remake, it means that it's a spectacularly samey sequel to the point the games are close to being interchangeable. The "remake" appellation in its strict usage doesn't mean much anyway since, again, Zero Mission is actually quite different from NES Metroid (and a lot closer to Super Metroid), Paper Mario 64 and TTYD being again much closer games, right to extremely tiny details. It's basically the same thing on more powerful hardware.

Nitpicking aside, the point is that after only one game, IS was already making the exact same game, they haven't proved they were capable to make a brand new game in the same formula. I'd then rather have them innovate with new formulas than make the exact same game a third time.
No, that's not a remake. That you think having some similar elements makes a game basically a remake is bizarre.

Do you think Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2, and Dark Souls 3 are all basically remakes of Demon's Souls?

Do you think Super Metroid is basically a remake of Metroid, and that Metroid Fusion is basically a remake of Super Metroid?

Do you think every 2D Mario outside American Super Mario Bros 2 is basically a remake of Super Mario Bros?

Do you think Paper Mario: Color Splash will be basically a remake of Paper Mario: Sticker Star?

It's such a fucking bizarre argument. "Sonic 3 and Knuckles is basically a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 because they both have carnival levels with inspiration from pinball! And they both have lava levels, and jungle levels, and water levels, and you can spindash, and Tails is there, and Eggman has a flying fortress, and the final boss is in space, and..." That's not a remake, that's a sequel.

This is an example of focusing too much on superficial structure/themes of games rather than the actual meat in playing them. Yes, PM and TTYD share many similar plot structures and themes in some of their chapters, but actually playing through the two games is quite a different experience. Just because they both feature a tropical island or a chapter involving a mystery with penguins involved doesn't mean that you're "playing the same game". The actual level design and gameplay elements of them are different.

It's like how people argue that OoT is "the same game" as ALttP because they have the same overall structure to them. Never-minding the fact that they are actually vastly different experiences to play through.

Simbabbad

Yes, PM and TTYD share many similar plot structures and themes in some of their chapters, but actually playing through the two games is quite a different experience.
Not to me, and not for plenty of people who were complaining about it back then. On the IGN message board at the time the sentiment was everywhere, and when I played PM64 on the Wii Virtual Console I felt a bit robbed when I discovered everything was recycled: the situations, the jokes, the characters, the mechanics, etc. I actually understood better that some people having played PM64 first were let down by TTYD, even though I did love it.

What I find comical is that people who claim it's not true at all PM and TTYD are similar experiences argue that Color Splash will be shit because it's the same thing as Sticker Star. According to your own logic, the people whining about Color Splash are wrong, then? We already know of more differences between CS and SS than between PM64 and TTYD.

Toxi

Banned
Metroid Prime is basically a remake of Super Metroid. You encounter Ridley in a space research facility, escape the exploding facility with a timer, chase Ridley to a planet once home to the Chozo, land in a rainy area, go down into a lava area with a lower Norfair remix, explore a wrecked spaceship, fight alien ghosts, defeat Ridley as the penultimate boss, and then fight a final boss with two forms, defeating the second form with the Hyper Beam you obtain for just that battle.

Basically a remake!

Toxi

Banned
Not to me, and not for plenty of people who were complaining about it back then. On the IGN message board at the time the sentiment was everywhere, and when I played PM64 on the Wii Virtual Console I felt a bit robbed when I discovered everything was recycled: the situations, the jokes, the characters, the mechanics, etc. I actually understood better that some people having played PM64 first were let down by TTYD, even though I did love it.
Yeah look at all the amazing non-recycled characters we have now like Bowser, the Koopalings, Toads, and a little floating NPC chatterbox tied to the game's gimmick.

What I find comical is that people who claim it's not true at all PM and TTYD are similar experiences argue that Color Splash will be shit because it's the same thing as Sticker Star. According to your own logic, the people whining about Color Splash are wrong, then? We already know of more differences between CS and SS than between PM64 and TTYD.
People aren't complaining Color Splash looks like Sticker Star because of originality.

People are complaining Color Splash looks like Sticker Star because they don't like Sticker Star.

Lutherian

Nothing to do with the topic but using ignore lists is kinda pointless when you can read the ignored post when it's quoted by others (sorry Simbabbad, even ignoring you isn't enough to avoid reading your posts ^^).

Nose Master

Also liked Sticker Star, tho the boss battles were shit. Glad they're fixing 'em.

Sticker Star was better than M&L&PM

Top Bottom