• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario (Wii U VC) |OT| Jr. Troopa Brings the Pain.. AGAIN!

Rockk

Easily my favorite Mario game and easily my favorite version of Princess Peach. Will almost certainly play through it this weekend.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I still can't decide if this or TTYD is a better game.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Cool!

After I beat DK64, guess I'll pick this up.

Give me Goemon 64 soon, Nintendo!

JC Lately

Ah sweet. Started playing this on the Wii, but the distance between save points proved too long for me at the time. Suspend points will take care of that problem.

illadelph

Is spinning the stick for attacks going to fuck up the Gamepad like the old N64 controllers? This game (along with Mario Party) killed my atomic purple controller back in the day.

Roto13

n64coder

I played TTYD and then PM64. Beat both. They were great. I thought TTYD was the better of the two. I'll probably get the Wii U version to show my support for the game and perhaps I'll play it again.

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, the skybox apparently causes the game to slowdown super much on an emulator---

Hoping perhaps the Wii U might be able to handle it?

My dream Wii U 64 ESHOP includes:

Donkey Kong 64
Diddy Kong Racing
Banjo-Kazooie/Banjo-Tooie
Chameleon Twist 1 and 2
Space Station Silicon Valley
Snowboard Kids 1 and 2
Goemon 64 and Goemon 64 2 (forgot what it was called specifically)
That Tom and Jerry Fighter
Quest 64 (lol)

Yeah, the skybox apparently causes the game to slowdown super much on an emulator---

Donkey Kong 64
Diddy Kong Racing
Chameleon Twist 1 and 2
Snowboard Kids 1 and 2
Quest 64 (lol)

I don't see Star Wars games on that list. The N64 was really good to Lucasarts.

I forgot all about this. Thankfully I got both Paper Mario and Mario 64 a CN rewards a while back so I don't feel bad plunking down $2 each for these wonderful games. Paper Mario is so much fun. Can't wait to get back to obsessively learning character lore from my buddy Goombario.

Watch Da Birdie

How is this compared to Thousand Year Door?

Some would say better.

I don't remember it having any parts that really dragged on like how TTYD had the tree, parts of Glitz Pit, Twilight Town, the train...actually, TTYD had a lot of parts that sort of overstayed their welcome.

However, overall the plot of 64 is a bit lighter, not as deep, especially the party members which are all pretty shallow.

Conezays

Donkey Kong 64
Diddy Kong Racing
Chameleon Twist 1 and 2
Snowboard Kids 1 and 2
Quest 64 (lol)

My man.

One of my favourite games of all time, even though I haven't beat it. I got to the final boss on the Wii VC version, and I hope to actually beat it this time!

Slevin

Thank you so much for this thread. Paper Mario is one of only a few games I've stayed up all night playing. Looks like it's time for another go!

Davey Cakes

I bought this on the Wii VC. Being able to play on the Gamepad might actually get me to play it more. Then again, I'm not sure if I want to go through 1/3 of the game again.

To be honest, I found Paper Mario kind of boring after experiencing the Mario & Luigi games. Inferior battle system.

Some would say better.

I don't remember it having any parts that really dragged on like how TTYD had the tree, parts of Glitz Pit, Twilight Town, the train...actually, TTYD had a lot of parts that sort of overstayed their welcome.

However, overall the plot of 64 is a bit lighter, not as deep, especially the party members which are all pretty shallow.

Well thankfully, I'm surprised to meet someone who feels the way that I do about TTYD.

I don't really mind the lighter story elements
partly because I don't Mario games for a story.
The heavier story elements in TTYD were part of the reason why the game overstayed its welcome in many areas, since it shows off how much of a downgrade the overworld design was.

Revven

The main thing TTYD has over PM64 is the improved battle mechanics, otherwise, some parts of its story drag on a bit while PM64's pacing is immaculate. You never spend too long in one chapter, each chapter is the appropriate length or length they need to be. And while the battle mechanics are technically inferior to TTYD (because TTYD is the sequel) they're still very good regardless and even despite TTYD's existence hold up extremely well.

Not many games that have sequels work out that way -- usually it's hard for people to go back to the first game after playing a sequel because they're used to the sequel's improvements. PM64 can stand all on its own despite TTYD's presence.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I grabbed this from Club Nintendo awhile ago, happy to pay the $2 tomorrow. Such a great game. Still have my soundtrack from Nintendo Power somewhere too.

My favorite Paper Mario game. Glad to see so many are giving it a shot for the first time, it's really a wonderful game.

PM64 always felt to me like a proper "blueprint" of what a Mario RPG should be like. Rogueport in TTYD just never felt like a town you'd actually find in the Mushroom Kingdom to me, whereas Toad Town in PM64 did. TTYD definitely had improved combat mechanics, but I've always much preferred 64's setting and world over TTYD's.

MilesTeg

Banned
Does the Wii U N64 emulator have any special features? Like how the GBA emulator can go into perfect pixel mode or whatnot?

Oddly the only entry in the series i've yet to play, i should finally give it a go. I really enjoy the sequels, each for how different they are from one another.

Some would say better.

Wow, you share the exact same opinion as me. Chapter 2 in TTYD (the tree) is probably the part I hate the most about replaying the game. Having to blow the Punies is so irritating, and if you drop or miss one, have fun. I can see how Chapter 3 might not be to everyone's liking, but I think it is pretty good despite the large number of battles. I mean, it does introduce Yoshi, after all. Twilight Town is in the middle of enjoyable and not enjoyable. I first time i played it, I didn't read the bird telling me the guy's name, so I had to look up the name. I dislike the mystery forests in both Paper Mario games, so it doesn't help Twilight Town. The train also is pretty bad. It is an interesting concept, but it can take a long time to do if you forget what process, and it is boring, overall.

I also think the Moon overstays its welcome. Despite all of the shortcomings of TTYD, it is still an amazing game. I really like Paper Mario 64, and would probably rate it better than TTYD, but that is mostly due to nostalgia. It would be nice to have a remake or VC release of TTYD.

tkscz

Definitely buying it. Still my favorite of the Paper Mario series (though I've still yet to play Super Paper Mario).

Top Bottom