• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paramount removes Terminator from its schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

strafer

I would like to thank Paramount to finally justifiy the magnificent Termanitor Salvation, by releasing Terminator Genisys and opening the eyes of all haters.

D4DFn2P.gif

R-User!

James Cameron is 61 years old and has 2-3 more Avatar movies planned. He's never making another Terminator again.

George Miller finished Fury Road at 70.

Ridley Scott..... The Martian, Alien Covenant....

I could see Cameron doing one more if he has a good enough story to tell! Though that's probably not likely.

Future

Genisys wasn't nearly as horrible as I expected when I finally saw it. But they just can't get a good writer for this shit. Priority seems to be one liners and nostalgia instead of crafting a good story with good problems for the characters to solve.

The underlying elements are still good: future terminators trying to maintain their survival, using time travel when necessary. And humans fighting back, with the help of a rogue terminator. Just give me a good story dammit, and good terminators with new abilities. T1000 was the best idea and it's just been lame shot ever since

SeanC

T2 was not needed and undone the entire point of T1.

tumblr_mjk5ut0a891r34zhyo5_r1_500.gif

I kid, because I honestly have come to love the original more, but I still think T2 is brilliant and continues the themes and issues the original brought up perfectly. The story of the first led wonderfully into the story of the second (much in thanks to the whole cast returning and Cameron, smartly, having Sarah discussing the uncertainty of the future at the end of the first film and, again, doing so at the end of the second).

The arc of Sarah alone makes it worthwhile, from a damsel to a strong woman to someone who, like the machine that came back to help her son, learns to have emotion again and feel something human. The future machine takes away from her in the first film, but gives back in the second. I found that wonderfully poetic.

It begins and ends with her, which is why none of the sequels work. Producers and writers want to hang their hat on John or Kyle or The Terminator itself, but it really boils down to Sarah's story and with that pretty much concluded (killing her off screen...f'n stupid) there's nowhere else for this franchise to go.

Ensoul

I enjoyed Genisys even though it was kind of all over the place. I am a big terminator fan so it is a little disappointing that the story won't continue because there were some questions in the first movie that would have been addressed in the sequels. Cannot say I am shocked after seeing the box office results.

Sulik2

I'd love to see Cameron at 70 years old make a future war Terminator movie before he retires as the greatest action filmmaker of all time.

T2 was not needed and undone the entire point of T1.

T2's hook was that after failing to kill Sarah in T1, the next obvious move is to go after John directly( and reversing Arnold's role from antagonist to protagonist). There's nothing wrong with telling a story about the machines taking a second crack at completing their mission upon failing the first time. You'd expect that. But T1 at the end left a loophole for a follow-up, namely the crushed Terminator parts and specifically the CPU that could be salvaged. At the end of T2, the final remaining piece of the equation sacrificed himself specifically to avoid the open door left in T1. That is the sole reason for Arnold in T2 to off himself. Narratively the story ended there, quite satisfactorily, with the open road scene signally hope for a future that had been freed from the possibility of a nuclear holocaust. That is until they decided to say 'fuck that'', judgement day was bound to happen' regardless of what was done in T2. T3 had no reason to exist based on how T2's story and specifically how it ended.

Of course the whole thing is a causality loop, but if you want to go from that angle T1 didn't need to be told if Kyle Reese hadn't gone back in time to impregnate Sarah in the first place.

Genysis was so bad it actually made Salvation look good (which ironically made 3 look like a masterpiece).

I didn't think that was even possible.

All they ever needed to do was hire better filmmakers to handle this shit but they kept fucking it up. The truth is though, I really don't care about this property anymore anyways. I've been good with 1 and 2.

Genysis was so bad it actually made Salvation look good (which ironically made 3 look like a masterpiece).

I didn't think that was even possible.

Genesys was so bad, no one knows how to spell it. The first 10 minutes of the movie could've been a YouTube short film, and it would've made them millions from the views, with fans cumming about how amazing the whole film would've been.

I like this chart because it understands that the first Terminator is the best Terminator.

But it suggests that T2 is as much a drop in quality from T1 as T3 is from T2, and Salvation is from T3, and so on. I waver between T1 and T2 in terms of which is better, but I'd say they're at least on an even field in terms of quality and entertainment. T3 onwards is just complete shit by comparison.

Was Genesys really that bad? And by bad, I mean unenjoyable. One of my friends saw it; he said it was very dumb but that it also had cool action scenes. He said he'd give it 3/5.

Was Genesys really that bad? And by bad, I mean unenjoyable. One of my friends saw it; he said it was very dumb but that it also had cool action scenes. He said he'd give it 3/5.

I got a nostalgic tickle when
they recreated the opening T1 scene, even up to the T-1000 and Reese in the clothing store
. It pretty much started falling apart the moment Sarah came to the rescue.

But it suggests that T2 is as much a drop in quality from T1 as T3 is from T2, and Salvation is from T3, and so on. I waver between T1 and T2 in terms of which is better, but I'd say they're at least on an even field in terms of quality and entertainment. T3 onwards is just complete shit by comparison.

I used to waver but the older I got, the more T1's tone, atmosphere, grit, and leaness won me way over. It also meant I liked John Conner, and some of that corny ass dialogue less and less.

Plot holes aplenty, but I found it entertaining at least. Arnold was the best thing from it by far. 3/5 sounds about right.

NotLiquid

Can I finally pretend that the alternate ending to Terminator 2 is canon now? Because for as much shit as it gets the story really should have ended there.

Farmboy

In a perfect world, Cameron would return to do a "prequel" (that's actually set in the future) chronicling the future war from just after judgment day until the moment Kyle is sent back. Old school grit, R-rated and all practical effects except for a brief cameo by CGI Arnold.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Reboot Baywatch Nights and introduce a new Terminator in that series.

Dryk

That is until they decided to say 'fuck that'', judgement day was bound to happen' regardless of what was done in T2. T3 had no reason to exist based on how T2's story and specifically how it ended.
The interesting thing to me, which is never touched on anywhere mind, is that one Judgement Day becomes inevitable trying to prevent it becomes an awful idea. If all they can do is delay it then all you do by fighting back is making sure that John has to fight the war older and more scarred than in the original timeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom